Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

AaronRedDevil

Only now realize that Death Stranding Director's Cut is a full game and not a DLC Like GoT Iki island expansion. Ffs I'm not paying full price for a game I already own. Shame, I wanted to play with the extra stuff.

Irwin99

Only now realize that Death Stranding Director's Cut is a full game and not a DLC Like GoT Iki island expansion. Ffs I'm not paying full price for a game I already own. Shame, I wanted to play with the extra stuff.
If you have a PS5 i think you can just upgrade it for 10-15 pounds right? that's what I was planning to do so i hope i'm right :nervous:

Been a real slow couple of months for games but I have Alan Wake (never played) and House of Ashes in October.

AaronRedDevil

If you have a PS5 i think you can just upgrade it for 10-15 pounds right? that's what I was planning to do so i hope i'm right :nervous:

Been a real slow couple of months for games but I have Alan Wake (never played) and House of Ashes in October.
I have the PS5 myself. But I looked on the store and there's no option to just buy the DLC.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Disco Elysium was such a wonderful game.

Now, I'm thinking either Immortal Phoenix on discount or Hades at full price. As the former is cheaper I'm thinking of going for it and Hades is full price is pretty and it'll eventually go on discount. Nothing much else on the PS store right now. I think Black Friday is coming soon though

Any opinions?

Irwin99

Playing Death Stranding again got me thinking about what are the best games that have that feeling of isolation or being in a really surreal or lonely environment (and that aren't really horror games either). Off the top of my head I can only think of Shadow of the Colossus and Journey but i'm sure there's a lot more.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
what are the best games that have that feeling of isolation or being in a really surreal or lonely environment (and that aren't really horror games either).
Not enough games do this and I wish there were more. Firewatch did it a bit, The Forest too but I suppose that was a horror game.

Irwin99

Soma. There is a setting to turn off the monsters and embrace just the existential dread instead.
Good call; It's not quite Journey or Shadow of the Colossus but it has that weird surreal vibe and it's pretty lonely. I wouldn't really call it a traditional horror game either, although some would disagree.

amolbhatia50k

Started Immortal Phoenix Rising and it's actually quite a lot of fun, which is an odd thing to say about a Ubisoft game. Graphics look bit average on my base PS4 which is annoying - just looks a bit unclean and lighting seems poor - but I'm liking it so far.

Meller

Can't seem to get into RDR2... Tried it on the PS4 but decided to wait as I had the base and it didn't perform too well. Just got the PS5 so decided to give it another go but I just don't think it's that fun of a game. Lots of riding a horse, the shooting is pretty bad and well... I don't know if I should stick with it or buy something else.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Can't seem to get into RDR2... Tried it on the PS4 but decided to wait as I had the base and it didn't perform too well. Just got the PS5 so decided to give it another go but I just don't think it's that fun of a game. Lots of riding a horse, the shooting is pretty bad and well... I don't know if I should stick with it or buy something else.
How far in are you? I think it starts fairly slow while it's showing you what's what, once you set up camp, and then get a couple more hours in its brilliant.

Meller

How far in are you? I think it starts fairly slow while it's showing you what's what, once you set up camp, and then get a couple more hours in its brilliant.
Set up camp close to Valentine I think it's called? Done a fair few missions from there. Just not sure what to do. Seems like there's so much side stuff like hunting, saving up money for camps etc that makes it a bit overwhelming.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Set up camp close to Valentine I think it's called? Done a fair few missions from there. Just not sure what to do. Seems like there's so much side stuff like hunting, saving up money for camps etc that makes it a bit overwhelming.
I'd probably give it another few hours atleast. Things are just starting to open up properly from where youre at I think. Plus the tutorial part is about over too.

Meller

I'd probably give it another few hours atleast. Things are just starting to open up properly from where youre at I think. Plus the tutorial part is about over too.
Yeah I'll probably try to get into it, right now just not feeling it.

Just bought Disco Elysium even though I know nothing about it because I was bored with RDR2 after an hour. Not many great games out on PS5 yet!

Bosws87

Its not a very good game, its visually fantastic, great storytelling and atmosphere but as an actual game its really boring.

The shooting mechanic means it requires basically no skill at all and the game is barely a challenge.

RDR2 as a visual showcase one of the best of all time, as a game a 6/10.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Anyone here who’s more concerned with the storytelling in games than the actual gameplay? I enjoy games like I enjoy movies - gameplay-wise I have terrible skills and stick to the easy stuff.

amolbhatia50k

Depends on what you want from a game. If it's narrative and a lovely world to explore then this is the game for you. If it's game play, then it's very mediocre.

Deery

Dreary
Anyone here who’s more concerned with the storytelling in games than the actual gameplay? I enjoy games like I enjoy movies - gameplay-wise I have terrible skills and stick to the easy stuff.
Same here I’m shite at playing games and would get destroyed on hard but I love killing guys and stuff.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Its not a very good game, its visually fantastic, great storytelling and atmosphere but as an actual game its really boring.

The shooting mechanic means it requires basically no skill at all and the game is barely a challenge.

RDR2 as a visual showcase one of the best of all time, as a game a 6/10.
It’s easily a 10/10 game for me. People just don’t like the slow pacing but that’s what a western is and always should be.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Same here I’m shite at playing games and would get destroyed on hard but I love killing guys and stuff.
Sounds like you’re better than me already:lol: I seriously have problems even remembering button combos and stuff, let alone playing on hard. I think I get nearly as much enjoyment from watching a thoughtful Let’s Play as I get from actually playing the game.

Meller

I'll give it some more time. There's not many other games out for PS5 that I'm interested in anyway.

amolbhatia50k

I'm becoming more and more about a game play person with time. Tbf there are exceptions like Witcher 3 which is among my top 3 of all time where story and writing triumphs gameplay but even in that I enjoyed the gameplay.

For me the most important thing is for a game to grab me, something I can get lost in but theres a minimum bar of quality the gameplay should have. RDR2 was a bit to weak in its gameplay for my tastes.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I'm becoming more and more about a game play person with time. Tbf there are exceptions like Witcher 3 which is among my top 3 of all time where story and writing triumphs gameplay but even in that I enjoyed the gameplay.

For me the most important thing is for a game to grab me, something I can get lost in but theres a minimum bar of quality the gameplay should have. RDR2 was a bit to weak in its gameplay for my tastes.
Yeah I think you’re more normal :lol: I’ve always been more of a story person. And I suppose my skills are just so bad that I have gotten used to enjoying games vicariously - by watching others play - so I really don’t care too much about the gameplay as long as it looks good when someone else plays it. The hardest game I’ve ever managed was probably Batman: Arkham Knight, which…wasn’t hard.

amolbhatia50k

Yeah I think you’re more normal :lol: I’ve always been more of a story person. And I suppose my skills are just so bad that I have gotten used to enjoying games vicariously - by watching others play - so I really don’t care too much about the gameplay as long as it looks good when someone else plays it. The hardest game I’ve ever managed was probably Batman: Arkham Knight, which…wasn’t hard.
I should add that I can't start any game on normal difficulty and switching (to be fair it's only happened a couple of times) from hard to normal covers me with shame :lol:

Although I'm not actually that good at games. You have people here who have fully completed Hollow Knight, killed the Valkeries in GoW and didn't take 50 attempts to beat bosses in Sekiro.

My brother is your kind of gamer. For him it's about two things - narrative and visuals. He refused to play Witcher 3 on account of it having aged by a year or two by the time he got around to give it a go despite my constant nagging.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
I should add that I can't start any game on normal difficulty and switching (to be fair it's only happened a couple of times) from hard to normal covers me with shame :lol:

Although I'm not actually that good at games. You have people here who have fully completed Hollow Knight, killed the Valkeries in GoW and didn't take 50 attempts to beat bosses in Sekiro.

My brother is your kind of gamer. For him it's about two things - narrative and visuals. He refused to play Witcher 3 on account of it having aged by a year or two by the time he got around to give it a go despite my constant nagging.
Witcher 3’s on my list. Heard only great things about it. It’s just so long that I can’t seem to dedicate the time to immerse in it (and tbh I don’t like the Gwent parts, hate card games of all sorts). My brother on the other hand won’t play it because there’s too much story and not enough combat. He has beaten the Valkyries in GoW on GMGoW difficulty however.

I’m probably going to give NieR: Automata a go next. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but it doesn’t seem too difficult and I already love the story and characters. The visuals don’t hurt either - battle animations are fairly gorgeous.

Irwin99

Bought Alan Wake as it was only 25 pounds and i've heard good things about it. Don't really know what to expect though as i'm going into the game pretty much blind in terms of what type of game it is.

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Bought Alan Wake as it was only 25 pounds and i've heard good things about it. Don't really know what to expect though as i'm going into the game pretty much blind in terms of what type of game it is.
I loved it. But with the huge caveat that I experienced it vicariously by watching a Let’s Play. Hope you enjoy!

amolbhatia50k

Witcher 3’s on my list. Heard only great things about it. It’s just so long that I can’t seem to dedicate the time to immerse in it (and tbh I don’t like the Gwent parts, hate card games of all sorts).
It's one of gaming's greatest. Rivals the original Deus Ex for my favourite game. The writing, world, lore, characters and music are all just brilliant. Definitely time-consuming, but it's a game you (or, me at least) can just feel you're living in.

I’m probably going to give NieR: Automata a go next. Probably not everyone’s cup of tea, but it doesn’t seem too difficult and I already love the story and characters. The visuals don’t hurt either - battle animations are fairly gorgeous.
Excellent choice. Another that I consider among the best I've played over the last decade or so. Such a unique experience but there's one thing to have to not mind (can't say right now) to get the most out of it.

Last edited:

Rash Decision

not to use the cream
Excellent choice. Another that I consider among the best I've played over the last decade or so. Such a unique experience but there's one thing to have to not mind (can't say right now) to get the most out of it.
Oh I’ve already seen the whole game except for some of the optional endings. I just haven’t actually played it for myself. I don’t think I’d ever been so devastated by a video game before, and for such a long time after the fact. I agree with you, it is one of my top gaming experiences, possibly the top depending on my mood.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Shite off, Rockstar. Those games were wonderful in their day but they play like shit these days. Think back to the shooting of San Andreas. Awful.

A ground-up remake would be great but not interested in a 20 year old games getting a lick of paint. Also, I bet they'll be tight arses and not spring for the entire Vice City soundtrack.