Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I've become utterly addicted to ff14. Always the same with these fecking mmo's.

Oh well.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Oh I see, you were taking me seriously :nervous:

It definitely does 'borrow' grom HK but metroidvanias tend to do that. You could argue that HK's platforming is really similar to the first Ori, for example.

Being indie games I see no problem with the idea of influence and neither are rip-offs of the other. Alongside Bloodstained, both are best in their class when it comes to the genre over the past decade :)

Moby

Dick
Oh I see, you were taking me seriously :nervous:

It definitely does 'borrow' grom HK but metroidvanias tend to do that. You could argue that HK's platforming is really similar to the first Ori, for example.

Being indie games I see no problem with the idea of influence and neither are rip-offs of the other. Alongside Bloodstained, both are best in their class when it comes to the genre over the past decade :)
Yeah, and mossbag in that video is quite balanced on that, that this much of adaptation should be fine between games. Especially given how both are inspired by Dark Souls in the first place.

Ainu

Yeah, and mossbag in that video is quite balanced on that, that this much of adaptation should be fine between games. Especially given how both are inspired by Dark Souls in the first place.
I really don't see the Dark Souls influence in the Ori games to be honest. Even WotW with its more fleshed out combat still mainly feels like a platforming metroidvania.

Moby

Dick
I really don't see the Dark Souls influence in the Ori games to be honest. Even WotW with its more fleshed out combat still mainly feels like a platforming metroidvania.
I haven't played it, just got it from mossbag there, I think he referred the healing mech as something similar - finding a window between combat and stuff.

But more importantly, do you recommend Ori?

Bosws87

Ori is the best microsoft game made so far by a long long way unless you like driving then forza maybe.

Highly recommended, don't be fooled by the visual style and how it looks its also got a decent difficulty curve which makes it a great challenge.

Ainu

I haven't played it, just got it from mossbag there, I think he referred the healing mech as something similar - finding a window between combat and stuff.

But more importantly, do you recommend Ori?
I would, yes. If you only want to make time for one of them, go for Will of the Wisps. Visuals, audio and platforming are excellent. I would call the combat competent and leave it at that, it's not the main focus. I don't want to compare it to Hollow Knight too much (I'm way too biased towards that game), but I can say it's a much briefer experience and has less depth, even if you 100% it (as I did). But that's fine, the length felt just right for it. Not every game needs to absorb your life.

Moby

Dick
I would, yes. If you only want to make time for one of them, go for Will of the Wisps. Visuals, audio and platforming are excellent. I would call the combat competent and leave it at that, it's not the main focus. I don't want to compare it to Hollow Knight too much (I'm way too biased towards that game), but I can say it's a much briefer experience and has less depth, even if you 100% it (as I did). But that's fine, the length felt just right for it. Not every game needs to absorb your life.
Sounds good, thanks. Will check it out.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Finished Ori earlier and really enjoyed it but found the last section (Willow's End) a little frustrating.

The launch mechanic isn't the game's best and it was hard to see some of the pink enemies because they blend into the background due to the insane level of haze.

Still, the parts before it are very good as the combat works well and the exploration is generally wonderful. Love the escape sequences too.

8/10

b82REZ

I really want to give it a go, just looks a blast to play.
It completely flew under the radar for me. It was my brother who suggest we try it so I grabbed it on from Amazon last week when it was on sale. I can't stop playing it now, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. There are so many events and little hidden secrets.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I started playing Vampyr last week, had it in my library for ages as it was free on ps+ at some point. Absolutely cracking game and I love how your choices really make a difference on the city, I made what I thought were the right choices in two districts and ended up fecking it big time, and with their autosave and night feature you don't find out until it's too late, so can't even go back and change things.
I definitely recommend that anyone who enjoys an engaging story plays this. It has a few difficulties, one of which is story mode where you can play and enjoy the story without worrying too much about combat and levelling.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Anyone recommend a ps4 steering wheel and pedals? Only looking to spend under 100 quid and found one that looks ok in argos for 79. Watched the f1 esports show last night and got hooked.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Thanks. Any particular gameplay I can think of as reference?
Nothing really. Maybe Submautica but it's not a survival game but really exploration. That (as vague as it is) is its core gameplay mechanic. I don't know what you tell you as games like these are imo best if you don't know much.

I've just got the DLC so looking forward to playing it again. It's among my top 5 of this generation and probably 20 of all time so I obviously rate it very highly.

Moby

Dick
Nothing really. Maybe Submautica but it's not a survival game but really exploration. That (as vague as it is) is its core gameplay mechanic. I don't know what you tell you as games like these are imo best if you don't know much.

I've just got the DLC so looking forward to playing it again. It's among my top 5 of this generation and probably 20 of all time so I obviously rate it very highly.
Yeah, Subnautica is what came to my mind when I watched a bit of the gameplay. I'm not sure if a non-violent game is my jam but seems pretty interesting.

Subnautica is a brilliant, brilliant game.
Have that in my library, gotta get it on someday.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah, Subnautica is what came to my mind when I watched a bit of the gameplay. I'm not sure if a non-violent game is my jam but seems pretty interesting.

Have that in my library, gotta get it on someday.
You won't put it down once you get sucked in. The atmosphere is just *chefs kiss*

Moby

Dick
You won't put it down once you get sucked in. The atmosphere is just *chefs kiss*
Yeah I played for an hour or so when I got it, looks beautiful. I'm surely a sucker for great ambiance and soundtracks so I'll have this as the relaxing fix when I need one.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So I'm playing Fall Guys again after ~5 months, and...wow, this game has had a ton of changes done to it. That also includes a stupid bug on the PC version where the cursor doesn't disappear when using the controller. On the other hand, having higher frame rates without Vsync is cool.

Irwin99

On the king boss on Demon's Souls. I've enjoyed the game but it's not Dark Souls 1 or Bloodborne in terms of my favourite game in the series. In fact i'd probably put DS 2 and 3 above it too but i'm probably in a minority there. Good game overall though.