Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Addicted to iPad NBA2k mobile ffs … with a 2100 balanced starting five made of Irving, Mitchell, Bird, Stoudemire and Embiid, every game is a circus and I just can’t stop playing since Christmas anymore. :houllier:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Have you played Greedfall by any chance? Fantastic RPG that will take about 30 hours.
Tbh the combat was just not for me.

I'm leaning towards judgment right now. Yakuza 0 was lovely and this is supposed to have a strong narrative and combat

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
Tbh the combat was just not for me.

I'm leaning towards judgment right now. Yakuza 0 was lovely and this is supposed to have a strong narrative and combat
Ahhh, fair enough. Judgment is a great game too, doesn't have the same greatness that the Yakuza ones have but it's great nonetheless.

amolbhatia50k

Ahhh, fair enough. Judgment is a great game too, doesn't have the same greatness that the Yakuza ones have but it's great nonetheless.
Thing is I've become a picky gamer over time. I leave games like Outer Worlds (and many more) which are fairly highly rated 70% through if I feel they're becoming all drag. Hence a little wary on Judgment as I can see the combat becoming monotonous.

Last edited:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Kena is a very enjoyable game; well worth its price point. Some difficulty spikes in the game where it goes from being very chilled and relaxing to something out of Dark Souls, but I enjoyed the added challenge.

Guardians Is a very good game. Though the battle system does became stale after a while. Great story/characters though.

Ainu

How highly would you all rate Kena and Guardians?
Both worth playing, with Kena a step ahead of Guardians for me. Kena is fairly short at around 10-15 hours, but it's not a full price game and with a discount on top, it's easily worth it. In terms of structure I would describe it as a smaller sized God of War with some metroidvania elements. I guess older Zeldas are a good comparison. In certain boss fights you're suddenly playing a From Software game, so be warned.

On another note, since finishing Kena yesterday I've moved on to an older title, Ys Origin. After playing my first Ys game (VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana) earlier this year, I wanted to check out more of this series. It's supposed to be a PC game from 2006 but it looks more like a PS1 game, which is slightly weird. It feels like a PS1 game as well, in a good sort of way. Gameplay is fun enough and I've been pleasantly surprised by the bosses so far, which each present a unique challenge. The only downside is how repetitive the environments are, but it's not a deal breaker.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Anyone seen that epic games are given the new Tomb Raider trilogy away for free on their website store until the 6th?

amolbhatia50k

Both worth playing, with Kena a step ahead of Guardians for me. Kena is fairly short at around 10-15 hours, but it's not a full price game and with a discount on top, it's easily worth it. In terms of structure I would describe it as a smaller sized God of War with some metroidvania elements. I guess older Zeldas are a good comparison. In certain boss fights you're suddenly playing a From Software game, so be warned.

On another note, since finishing Kena yesterday I've moved on to an older title, Ys Origin. After playing my first Ys game (VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana) earlier this year, I wanted to check out more of this series. It's supposed to be a PC game from 2006 but it looks more like a PS1 game, which is slightly weird. It feels like a PS1 game as well, in a good sort of way. Gameplay is fun enough and I've been pleasantly surprised by the bosses so far, which each present a unique challenge. The only downside is how repetitive the environments are, but it's not a deal breaker.
Sounds excellent.

So I eventually went for two games that were on discount- DMC5 and Jedi Knight. I want to get through the PS4 library before moving to newer titles which I'll eventually play on the PS5.

AaronRedDevil

If I buy Horizon Forbidden West PS4 version. Do I get the free PS5 upgrade or do I have to pay the tenner to upgrade it?

Balljy

There's a decent selection of free PC games for anyone with an Amazon Prime subscription this month

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Got a Switch for Christmas as a complete surprise and I’m absolutely loving it so far. I’ve always been a PlayStation gamer and never really played much Nintendo outside Pokémon.

Breath of the Wild is absolutely unbelievable.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Got a Switch for Christmas as a complete surprise and I’m absolutely loving it so far. I’ve always been a PlayStation gamer and never really played much Nintendo outside Pokémon.

Breath of the Wild is absolutely unbelievable.
Wait until you see what really can be done in that game! Even after a hundred hours, there's still things to find out you can do.

It's hard to see how that world as a complete sandbox will be matched, let alone bettered, anytime soon. Well, apart from BOTW 2 obviously.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Wait until you see what really can be done in that game! Even after a hundred hours, there's still things to find out you can do.

It's hard to see how that world as a complete sandbox will be matched, let alone bettered, anytime soon. Well, apart from BOTW 2 obviously.
Seems I’ve timed it quite well. Most have been waiting for 5 years for the sequel!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

Ys VIII is a really great game, one of my favourite JRPG's in recent times. If you liked it, YS IX is also very good, albeit much of the same and with a less fun setting, but still very enjoyable.

Ainu

Ys VIII is a really great game, one of my favourite JRPG's in recent times. If you liked it, YS IX is also very good, albeit much of the same and with a less fun setting, but still very enjoyable.
Ys IX is on my list, after I'm finished with Ys Origin (requires three character playthroughs for the full story, nearly done with one) and Ys: Memories of Celceta which is also installed on my PS5. I really like what I've played of the series so far. Much better than some of the other JRPG series I've tried in recent years, like Tales of Berseria or Xenoblade Chronicles DE. Maybe I'll give Tales another chance with Arise, seems a lot of people liked it.

Massive Spanner

Ys IX is on my list, after I'm finished with Ys Origin (requires three character playthroughs for the full story, nearly done with one) and Ys: Memories of Celceta which is also installed on my PS5. I really like what I've played of the series so far. Much better than some of the other JRPG series I've tried in recent years, like Tales of Berseria or Xenoblade Chronicles DE. Maybe I'll give Tales another chance with Arise, seems a lot of people liked it.
I'm playing Arise right now, as in maybe a few hours a week when I can be arsed. It's beautiful to look at and well made but I don't find the combat remotely as fun as YS games. It's far more button bashy and there's very little incentive to switch to different characters. I'll stick with it but I'm far from blown away. Not really sure where all the hype is coming from.

Shin Megmei Tensei V is a great hardcore RPG, though, kinda like a Soulsborne turn based RPG.

Ainu

I'm playing Arise right now, as in maybe a few hours a week when I can be arsed. It's beautiful to look at and well made but I don't find the combat remotely as fun as YS games. It's far more button bashy and there's very little incentive to switch to different characters. I'll stick with it but I'm far from blown away. Not really sure where all the hype is coming from.

Shin Megmei Tensei V is a great hardcore RPG, though, kinda like a Soulsborne turn based RPG.
That was my experience with Tales of Berseria as well. Confusing, chaotic battles that basically amounted to button mashing. If Arise isn't a significant step up from that, I'm probably not going to like it. Shin Megami Tensei has never really appealed to me, something about the aesthetic just puts me off. I also didn't think Persona 5 was that good, and I know they're sort of related.

Massive Spanner

That was my experience with Tales of Berseria as well. Confusing, chaotic battles that basically amounted to button mashing. If Arise isn't a significant step up from that, I'm probably not going to like it. Shin Megami Tensei has never really appealed to me, something about the aesthetic just puts me off. I also didn't think Persona 5 was that good, and I know they're sort of related.
They are but SMTV is far less about the story and far more about just throwing you into battles, fusing demons etc. I'm about 10 hours in and the longest cut scene I've had is maybe 5 minutes so far, if it helps. The story has been almost non existent so far, it's very different to P5 in that regard. It's also a much more difficult game than P5 which was fairly tame by JRPG standards.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ghost of Tsushima is beautiful and enjoyable but, like the majority of open-world games, its ridiculously familiar in its gameplay execution.

Still yet to play Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Ghost of Tsushima is beautiful and enjoyable but, like the majority of open-world games, its ridiculously familiar in its gameplay execution.

Still yet to play Miles Morales and Ratchet and Clank.
Miles is really good. For me both the Spiderman games bring something fresh to the open world formula and the biggest reason for that is the fun of traversal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Miles is really good. For me both the Spiderman games bring something fresh to the open world formula and the biggest reason for that is the fun of traversal.
Yep, looking forward to checking Miles Morales out. Would likely play R/C beforehand though. Could do with some colour and humour.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So, what games are people looking forward too for 2022 ?

Got my eye on Horizon Forbidden West (coming out on my B'day) , Gran Turismo 7, OlliOlli World , Little Devil Inside and , hopefully, a fixed Cyberpunk 2077.

Bosws87

Got my eye on Horizon Forbidden West (coming out on my B'day) , Gran Turismo 7, OlliOlli World , Little Devil Inside and , hopefully, a fixed Cyberpunk 2077.
Elden Ring, everything else is irrelevant.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

GT7, Forespoken, Hellblade 2, Starfield and Elden Ring so far.

Ainu

The three biggest titles I'm looking forward to are all in February:
- Dying Light 2
- Horizon Forbidden West
- Elden Ring

Dying Light 2 is the biggest question mark as it had been stuck in development hell for a while, which is usually a bad sign. I loved the first game, especially in co-op, so I'm praying this turns out well. Then in May there's Forspoken, a game I'm cautiously optimistic about since it looks great, but I still feel we don't know enough about it.

And then a number of games with unclear release dates that have a chance of releasing in 2022:
- God of War Ragnarok
- Breath of the Wild 2
- Hellblade 2
- A Plague Tale: Requiem
- Last but by no means least, could 2022 finally be the year of Silksong?

Looking at all those games, 2022 definitely has the potential to blow us all away. We live in hope.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
Last but by no means least, could 2022 finally be the year of Silksong?
Rumored to be in Feb but we'll believe it once we see it.

Kinda feels they're burdened by the hype after how good Hollow Knight turned out to be. SS probably was intended to be more of a spin off but I guess they've had to make it an entire sequel now.

I'm good even if it's a short spin off. Just to have more of this content. The gameplay looks even smoother somehow. The wall jumps look so cool.

Irwin99

Square Enix new year's letter looked like it could have been written by the Shinra corporation considering its interest in NFTs and it's overall tone :mad: Apparently "gaming for fun" just isn't enough anymore.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Square Enix new year's letter looked like it could have been written by the Shinra corporation considering its interest in NFTs and it's overall tone :mad: Apparently "gaming for fun" just isn't enough anymore.
What's this NFT and gaming got to do with each other? I've seen it mentioned a few times in various places recently

Irwin99

What's this NFT and gaming got to do with each other? I've seen it mentioned a few times in various places recently
Yeah I've only just caught onto it in the past few days. Basically (i think) it's letting players own 'unique' digital properties for a price and it's stored on blockchain which is very bad for the environment apparently. A lot of businesses are expressing interest in it, including SE:

The letter written by the CEO sounds so cartonishly villainous; the way he almost derides the idea of games being "played for fun" as a ridiculous and antiquated concept is just mental.