Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Just beat Gorogoa in a single sitting, about three hours total. It's a lovely little sliding puzzle game with great animation and nice atmospheric music.

Story is there but it's more tone-driven than plot - a sombre reflection of life's ups and downs (more downs of course).

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Just beat Gorogoa in a single sitting, about three hours total. It's a lovely little sliding puzzle game with great animation and nice atmospheric music.

Story is there but it's more tone-driven than plot - a sombre reflection of life's ups and downs (more downs of course).
I played that a couple of years back, I really enjoyed it in a single sitting too. Seemed to just pull me along for a few hours and then gone.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
In the middle of Outer Wilds Eye of the Universe. I think it's time to recognize this game as one of gaming's greats. The sense of wonder, tension, delight, intrigue fear and all sorts of emotions while playing this is almost unparallel.

amolbhatia50k

So, what games are people looking forward too for 2022 ?

Got my eye on Horizon Forbidden West (coming out on my B'day) , Gran Turismo 7, OlliOlli World , Little Devil Inside and , hopefully, a fixed Cyberpunk 2077.
Cyberpunk next generation (waiting for a ps5 to play it)
God of War
Elden Ring

Volumiza

Anyone played Oxenfree? It was probably the best 80p I've spent. Really enjoyed it.
Yep, I really enjoyed it and was only one note away from platinum. It had a great atmosphere to it, different type of game but the feel was a little like firewatch, gentle mystery and menace.

There’s a sequel on the way, been really looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Yep, I really enjoyed it and was only one note away from platinum. It had a great atmosphere to it, different type of game but the feel was a little like firewatch, gentle mystery and menace.

There’s a sequel on the way, been really looking forward to it.
Yes gonna get that for sure. They made another game called After Party I think...

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Tbh I didn't like Oxenfree much. Tried to play it a few times but couldn't get into its world.

I always lumped it down to nostalgia as it's got a big 80s thing going on, similar to how Gone Home uses the 90s (and I felt I could relate more to that).

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Tbh I didn't like Oxenfree much. Tried to play it a few times but couldn't get into its world.

I always lumped it down to nostalgia as it's got a big 80s thing going on, similar to how Gone Home uses the 90s (and I felt I could relate more to that).
What is this? Any good?

amolbhatia50k

What is this? Any good?
One of them indie walking simulator narrative based games. It's good although I would say it was a tad overrated because it was one of the first few of a slew of such games. I preferred it to Edith Finch even if the climax could have been done better.

amolbhatia50k

Heard great things about Kentucky Ground Zero. It's published by Annapurna who did (published though not developed) Outer Wilds. Anyone tried it? Don't give much away mind you, it seems to be one of those "experience" games.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
One of them indie walking simulator narrative based games. It's good although I would say it was a tad overrated because it was one of the first few of a slew of such games. I preferred it to Edith Finch even if the climax could have been done better.
Might put it on the watchlist.

I've just started Cuphead and only done two levels so far. I know this game will lead to me smashing my switch in half if what I read about the difficulty level is true...

I completed Hollow Knight and Celeste... Is Cuphead much harder than those?

Volumiza

Tbh I didn't like Gone Home much. Tried to play it a few times but couldn't get into its world.

I always lumped it down to me being old as it's got a big 90s thing going on, similar to how Oxenfree uses the 80s (and I felt I could relate more to that because I'm clearly ancient).

@Vidyoyo :)

Moby

Dick
I've just started Cuphead and only done two levels so far. I know this game will lead to me smashing my switch in half if what I read about the difficulty level is true...
Nice.

Yeah some bosses looked pretty crazy but I don't think it's that much tougher than Hollow Knight. On par probably though.

Anyone who did Nightmare King Grimm etc shouldn't be much worried.

amolbhatia50k

Don't know tbh. From what I hear, Cuphead base game may be harder. Hollow Knight difficulty spikes more in the additional bosses/content rather than the normal game I think, or the content you don't have to finish.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Heard great things about Kentucky Ground Zero. It's published by Annapurna who did (published though not developed) Outer Wilds. Anyone tried it? Don't give much away mind you, it seems to be one of those "experience" games.
Yeah it's a very good game. Great atmosphere with some interesting social commentary. It's slow though as it's basically a postmodern folk story.

I really liked the scene where you go into Xanadu and play out a meta-version of Colossal Cave, which is a nod to the game's inspiration (set as it is in the Murrikan deep south).

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Tbh I didn't like Gone Home much. Tried to play it a few times but couldn't get into its world.

I always lumped it down to me being old as it's got a big 90s thing going on, similar to how Oxenfree uses the 80s (and I felt I could relate more to that because I'm clearly ancient).

@Vidyoyo :)
You know, it took me two reads to figure out what you were doing there. I must be tired :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Mmm it's hard to recommend. It came out in 2013 during that period where indie games were finding their footing in the mainstream. It's basically a walking simulator about a family's life.

Have you played What Remains of Edith Finch? That's the same kind of thing but better IMO
To be fair there were some brilliant indie games back then. Stanley Parable was lovely and Braid remains among the best indie games I've ever played.

AaronRedDevil

Did you play the others as well? I adored the first game but couldn't even get through the first episode of LiS 2, so I was wondering if this latest edition is a return to form.
I loved the first one. Yeah I couldn't get into the brothers one either. But if you like the first, you'll like this one. It has less cringe teenage stuff and the story is cool. Some nice moments too. Definitely a return to form. Her powers are a nice idea to the story.

Bosws87

Cuphead is a different level to any of them mentioned have you played Super Meatboy its more like that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cuphead is a different level to any of them mentioned have you played Super Meatboy its more like that.
Haven't played it but I know it's difficult. Celeste Chapter 7 C-Side was probably one of the hardest things I've finished, which gave me some confidence so hopefully I can use that to help me!

Nice.

Yeah some bosses looked pretty crazy but I don't think it's that much tougher than Hollow Knight. On par probably though.

Anyone who did Nightmare King Grimm etc shouldn't be much worried.
That's the boss I found the hardest :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What is this? Any good?
It was free once so i played it.

Your typical walking sim story oriented game about a dysfunctional family, nothing to write home about.

But I enjoyed it the atmosphere is nice, so if you like those kind of games which you treat more like an interactive novel go for it.

Ainu

Haven't played it but I know it's difficult. Celeste Chapter 7 C-Side was probably one of the hardest things I've finished, which gave me some confidence so hopefully I can use that to help me!

That's the boss I found the hardest :lol:
To me, who only finished the first few B sides in Celeste, the mere idea of C sides is terrifying. Let alone a C side that far into the game. I've often seen 7-C ranked as the hardest of all, so that has to be an insane achievement.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
To me, who only finished the first few B sides in Celeste, the mere idea of C sides is terrifying. Let alone a C side that far into the game. I've often seen 7-C ranked as the hardest of all, so that has to be an insane achievement.
I would love to say it was pure skill but in reality, I'm just persistent :lol:

I lost count how many attempts that specific C-Side took... I just remember my hands shaking when I finally did it :lol:

With that said, I swear you did the White Palace or whatever is called on Hollow Knight? That was exceptional!

Ainu

I would love to say it was pure skill but in reality, I'm just persistent :lol:

I lost count how many attempts that specific C-Side took... I just remember my hands shaking when I finally did it :lol:

With that said, I swear you did the White Palace or whatever is called on Hollow Knight? That was exceptional!
Path of Pain, yes. The difficulty in that one is that you have to string all of it together, although with right charm setup you had basically infinite attempts at each section. I would say some of the early B sides in Celeste already had screens that almost matched the difficulty of sections of the Path of Pain. 7-C has to be orders of magnitude more difficult.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Path of Pain, yes. The difficulty in that one is that you have to string all of it together, although with right charm setup you had basically infinite attempts at each section. I would say some of the early B sides in Celeste already had screens that almost matched the difficulty of sections of the Path of Pain. 7-C has to be orders of magnitude more difficult.
I still hold those two as my favourite games since i got back into gaming with the Nintendo Switch. I'm hoping Cuphead will give me similar joy.

AaronRedDevil

Just cleared Life is strange true colors. Really enjoyed it. The ending was a bit too fast but other then that. It's almost as good as the first game.

b82REZ

I'm trying to get into Persona 5 for the second time.

I want to like it, the battles are good and I like the music. But as I find with a lot of JRPGs it's very cutscene heavy which boil down to nothing more than exposition dumps.

On my first attempt I think I got to the third Palace. This time it feels like it's taking much longer than last. I'm about 6 hours in and still not stole the paedo teacher's heart.

amolbhatia50k

I need help with Hades. 22 runs in and I can't get past the Asphodel bosses. I probably will if I get another Death Defiance but I'm struggling to how ill beat them and also clear the final area Hades. Genuinely considering God Mode. People seem to do multiple runs of this game which I find myself managing hard to imagine tbh. Just seems like a game I'll never truly get the most out of as God Mode will feel cheap.

Love the Soulsborne series but this feels much more publishing? I die tons more times in those games but a run in this takes a fair bit of time.

Finally how many successfully runs does it take to actually finish the game?

amolbhatia50k

I'm trying to get into Persona 5 for the second time.

I want to like it, the battles are good and I like the music. But as I find with a lot of JRPGs it's very cutscene heavy which boil down to nothing more than exposition dumps.

On my first attempt I think I got to the third Palace. This time it feels like it's taking much longer than last. I'm about 6 hours in and still not stole the paedo teacher's heart.
It's a really good game but too long and repetitive for me. I thoroughly enjoyed my time time it but after 3 dungeons I was done.