Gaming The RedCafe General/Random Gaming Chat Thread

b82REZ

Hmm. I checked around and only see one run and gun spot left, rest was done. Will probably check again.

Bosses are ok, run and guns not so much so hope that's not gonna be mandatory. :lol:
Been a while since I played it but think they are optional but that's where you get the coins for upgrades.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Got those toad turds a while later but getting B- grade at best..

No idea about that blue ball. Do we HAVE to do all run and guns? I did one, have the invisible dash and that stronger attack but looks like all my paths are closed.

The dice guy asks me to pay the debtors, no idea how to do that. :lol:
You should do all the levels. The bosses have to be beat to get to the next Island, the run & guns get you coins, which you need to upgrade and the parry levels give you super arts, which are very handy.

You sure you haven't come across the blue ball? He's one of the first bosses...

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hmm. I checked around and only see one run and gun spot left, rest was done. Will probably check again.

Bosses are ok, run and guns not so much so hope that's not gonna be mandatory. :lol:
I don't think run & gun are mandatory but the coins you collect are very useful.

Also, surely you want to 100% it :lol:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I recommend the forgotten city, the game started as a mod by one person for skyrim and it grew to be a standalone game, it's based around a time loop idea set in a roman city where if anyone sins everyone is punished.

It's a bit like majora's mask I guess but more story focused. It doesn't have the polish of an aaa game but it's worth a try so go for it if that's your thing.
Beat this last night and it's certainly interesting but not without its flaws.

I really like the concept of it being set in the classical world and the time travelling mechanics work well. When it first dropped me into the game, I went around picking up quests with the intention of doing them together, before figuring you should only focus on one at a time because it might require a loop. This broke my usual approach.

The writing can be good and it does a nice job bringing out the personalities of bigger characters like Equitia, Sentius and Gallerius. Other characters felt wooden and there wasn't much depth to them beyond the purpose of the immediate quest you're given. I'm thinking Ulpius, Lucretia, Iulia, Duli, and Dentius, the bastard. No back stories to learn.

What got me a bit was how I had this one puzzle early on where I needed a bow and it took me an hour to realise I was supposed to steal it from the assassin. It didn't give me the right dialogue option at first and I thought, there is no way it's going to be as easy as talking to him multiple times. I went around the world looking for nooks and crannies thinking, well there must be something hidden out of sight. Turns out it basically is a dialogue option, but one that only opens after you've been killed by him and done the loop.

After this, I realised most of the "puzzles" weren't actually puzzles but just dialogue options. It went from feeling like a puzzle game to more of like visual novel, or walking simulator. It made want to skip through a lot of dialogue because there's lots to sit through and most of it is simply an exposition dump rather than being important stuff you need to know.

You're right that there's some jank - I had an annoying bug where I kept setting the subtitles to 'very large' and they kept resetting everytime I went into a new area.

Anyway, it's the kind of game I'd happily recommend because it's pretty novel and was made by only 3 people (impressive!).

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That blue ball was hiding in plain sight. Got the frogs anyway. On the last phase of that half moon now.

Playing with keyboard and not really using the invisible dash and trying to just learn the moves. Guess that makes it a bit easier.
Wait until you get to Kahls Robot in the final Island. Keyboards will be smashed :lol:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Beat this last night and it's certainly interesting but not without its flaws.

I really like the concept of it being set in the classical world and the time travelling mechanics work well. When it first dropped me into the game, I went around picking up quests with the intention of doing them together, before figuring you should only focus on one at a time because it might require a loop. This broke my usual approach.

The writing can be good and it does a nice job bringing out the personalities of bigger characters like Equitia, Sentius and Gallerius. Other characters felt wooden and there wasn't much depth to them beyond the purpose of the immediate quest you're given. I'm thinking Ulpius, Lucretia, Iulia, Duli, and Dentius, the bastard. No back stories to learn.

What got me a bit was how I had this one puzzle early on where I needed a bow and it took me an hour to realise I was supposed to steal it from the assassin. It didn't give me the right dialogue option at first and I thought, there is no way it's going to be as easy as talking to him multiple times. I went around the world looking for nooks and crannies thinking, well there must be something hidden out of sight. Turns out it basically is a dialogue option, but one that only opens after you've been killed by him and done the loop.

After this, I realised most of the "puzzles" weren't actually puzzles but just dialogue options. It went from feeling like a puzzle game to more of like visual novel, or walking simulator. It made want to skip through a lot of dialogue because there's lots to sit through and most of it is simply an exposition dump rather than being important stuff you need to know.

You're right that there's some jank - I had an annoying bug where I kept setting the subtitles to 'very large' and they kept resetting everytime I went into a new area.

Anyway, it's the kind of game I'd happily recommend because it's pretty novel and was made by only 3 people (impressive!).
Pretty much agree with your assessment as it's still rough around the edges, the transition from the elder scrolls lore to the Roman antiquity has been done superbly and it's definitely very impressive considering the dev team's rather limited resources. Definitely worth keeping an eye on their next project.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Pretty much agree with your assessment as it's still rough around the edges, the transition from the elder scrolls lore to the Roman antiquity has been done superbly and it's definitely very impressive considering the dev team's rather limited resources. Definitely worth keeping an eye on their next project.
Yeah for sure, they seem like good guys and I gather are quite active with the fanbase over on the Reddit sub.

Out of interest, have you played The Talos Principle? I was reminded a lot of that game playing through this.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah for sure, they seem like good guys and I gather are quite active with the fanbase over on the Reddit sub.

Out of interest, have you played The Talos Principle? I was reminded a lot of that game playing through this.
I have though that game is a lot more puzzle heavy. Worth keeping an eye for it's sequel as well i guess they make one when they get tired of making serious sam games.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Oh nice! I didn't know they were making a sequel.
Hopefully it'll be a lot more polished because as good as the first one is it was basically cobbled up from left over assets of a canceled serious sam game , so this one should have a much higher production value.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
In a weird fit of nkstalgia I have bought a PS2 a Ps3, Suikoden 1 through 5, final fantasy 4, 5 and 6, Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger for my 3DS.

I should email my past self and tell him to take better care of his stuff and not throw all his old video games and consoles.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
In a weird fit of nkstalgia I have bought a PS2 a Ps3, Suikoden 1 through 5, final fantasy 4, 5 and 6, Vagrant Story and Chrono Trigger for my 3DS.

I should email my past self and tell him to take better care of his stuff and not throw all his old video games and consoles.
Nice, how much did that set you back?

I bought a chipped PS2 a few years ago and use it ocassionally to boot up older RPGs. It's pretty fun going back but sometimes I miss the quality of life features.

Ironically, I bought it to play Xenosaga and that's the one game I never figured out how to get working (it requires a dual-layer DVD or something).

Irwin99

Have you ever played all these before and if so what did you make of them?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nice, how much did that set you back?

I bought a chipped PS2 a few years ago and use it ocassionally to boot up older RPGs. It's pretty fun going back but sometimes I miss the quality of life features.

Ironically, I bought it to play Xenosaga and that's the one game I never figured out how to get working (it requires a dual-layer DVD or something).
Probably about 250. 50 of that for Chrono Trigger though. That's hard to find. The lack of qol in old games is jarring at times yes. But I also find some of the archaic design quite endearing. Especially Suikoden 1 is great for that.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Have you ever played all these before and if so what did you make of them?
Ive finish ff4 and ff5 once about a decade ago. Ff6 I must've played through at least 5 times. One of my favoriete games of all time.

They're all good, but also old and it shows.

Revan

Assumptionman
FF6 is one of the best games ever, arguably the best game ever. It is old, but totally playable and also awesome.

Anyway, finally done with Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Nowhere as good as I remembered when I played them a decade ago.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started with Suikoden 1 now. Can't believe how much I still love this game. Old jrpgs are so much better than new ones. Maybe it's the lack of technology that made them add more heart.

Ainu

Some first impressions from ACG's time with review code of Dying Light 2:

Very positive in general, which is good to hear after the development hell this game went through. A major point he touched: almost no bugs or anything during his time with the game. That's probably the number one thing to look out for in games with a troubled development cycle. I think he had access to just the PC version though, so it remains to be seen if that's also the case on consoles. I expect the PS5 and Series consoles are probably fine but last gen could be problematic.

Anyway, I'm still going to wait for a couple of full reviews but this has made me optimistic.

Revan

Assumptionman
Started Jedi Knight: The Fallen Order again. Hopefully this time won't give up after 1 hour of playing.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I started with Suikoden 1 now. Can't believe how much I still love this game. Old jrpgs are so much better than new ones. Maybe it's the lack of technology that made them add more heart.
I know what you mean, I think new JRPGs rely way too much on voice acting, which limits how much story they can fit in because nobody wants to sit through a ten-minute monologue. Text is charming because it lets you play the game at your own pace, which makes the experience feel more personal.

Balljy

I know what you mean, I think new JRPGs rely way too much on voice acting, which limits how much story they can fit in because nobody wants to sit through a ten-minute monologue. Text is charming because it lets you play the game at your own pace, which makes the experience feel more personal.
I think when done properly voice acting is fine. I thought Dragons Quest XI was one of the best modern JPRG's and the voice acting actually added to the game rather than it being a box ticking exercise. Having said that, I'm sure the budget for that game was pretty big compared to most and I think the translation to English took a while after it was released in Japan. You could also click through it whenever you wanted, so they treated it like text.

For smaller titles it definitely gets in the way. I miss the days of having a good JRPG every few months.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Started Jedi Knight: The Fallen Order again. Hopefully this time won't give up after 1 hour of playing.
I finished it yesterday. Actually I did about 80 per cent and watched the rest of youtube which is what I do with games I don't love. It's fine, quite good I suppose. But eventually everything seems shallow and pointless. Its one of those that are fun for awhile but nothing stays with you. Maybe for a SW fan it's great.

b82REZ

I gave up on it twice in the opening 2 hours, but stick with it, it grows on you.
For me the combat was far too floaty and unresponsive. The set pieces are very good, but it feels like they mashed together the best aspects of various games (Souls, Uncharted and Metroidvania's) but never mastered one aspect well enough to make it a good game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For me the combat was far too floaty and unresponsive. The set pieces are very good, but it feels like they mashed together the best aspects of various games (Souls, Uncharted and Metroidvania's) but never mastered one aspect well enough to make it a good game.
Yeah, it's definitely not an amazing game. It's actually like all recent star wars stuff. Casually entertaining and forgettable.

Ainu

I finished Scarlet Nexus earlier. What a good game. Bought game pass to play it. It’s not getting much attention which is surprising after playing it. Basically you get to pick between Yuito and Kasane, I picked yuito first. I’ll be doing the other character soon. I won’t mention the story much because there’s not too much I can say without spoiling it. So I’ll just say the story is very good and interesting. The combat is fun and there’s a lot of different ways to attack. The squad mates are helpful and you get to use certain power attacks for different types of enemies. Gameplay is a bit like Nier with Mass effect squad powers. I even know all the characters name in a Japanese game which is rare for me. I played all of the Yakuza games and I barely know more then 3 characters. Anyway It took about an hour or 2 to get used to everything going on. And It may seems like too much at the start but after a small while it becomes easy to understand what you have to do. The level design isn’t the best and it does get repetitve towards the end. Took me 17 hours to complete. The boss battle was the best I’ve played in years. It was brilliant and exhausting. I’ll be playing Kasane story next to see if there’s a difference. I heard it’s more compelling. I’ll give it a 8/10.
Surprised at the 17 hours, that seems pretty short for that type of game. Unless they really designed the game for two playthroughs.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Didn't continue since last time out. Not really playing a lot these days, that 2021 wrap up summary hit me hard. :lol:

Also I have ended up with a bunch of good games that I've started and need to continue/finish:

Sekiro
Disco Elysium
The Witcher 3

Cuphead
Are these any good? Well I know Witcher is but the other one?