Film The Redcafe Movie Club Thread

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Ok, so I watched this last night...

How would I describe it? Pretty Woman meets Hostel? Yeah, that's a good summary.

So our hero, Aoyama, is a widower who wants to get married again after raising his son and his movie producer best friend suggests holding auditions to find a suitable match. He is smitten with a girl whose CV he spills coffee on by accident and starts dating her after the audition. She comes across as very shy and subservient but his mate warns him that none of her references check out. He chooses to ignore the warnings and whisks her away for a weekend, planning to propose to her. She seduces him, while still appearing meek and vulnerable, but he wakes up to find out that she's gone. He goes round to the former workplaces she references on her CV to try and find her and doesn't really get any answers, just some cryptic clues that imply that she leaves a trail of death and destruction in her wake. Then, one night, he comes home, has a drink (which she has drugged) and she ends up torturing him with acupuncture needles and then starts garrotting his feet with a cheese wire. His son comes home, sees Dad, avoids her attempts to spray something in his face (one would assume it's some sort of chloroform type of vapour), and ends up kicking her down the stairs, breaking her neck, and then calling the police.

So, what the f*ck was it all about? I don't know. It was a fairly tepid tale until the last act. It reminded me of Lost In Translation in some ways - older guy, younger woman, will they, won't they, pretty boring restaurant/bar scenes - and I was forcing myself to watch to the end because I was going to review it. Then it went bonkers and I don't know why. I don't know what Aoyama did wrong? We are led to believe that Asami (the prospective wife) has been physically and probably sexually abused by her ballet teacher as a child but why is she taking it out on Aoyama, who seems like a nice guy? There's a subplot involving a woman who works for Aoyama, who seems to hold a candle for him, which he seems oblivious to, but what is its point? Is it saying that what he's really looking for is right under his nose? I don't know. The answer to almost every question I have about this film is "I don't know". Aoyama and Asami seem to be brought together by accident and there's no tying up at the end of the film to show that Asami had manipulated things behind the scenes to make it happen. It's all just a bit pointless to me.

I have to say, though, that as frustrating as it was to watch and try to figure out what it was all about, the sound was horrendous. There are moments when I had to turn up the volume, especially when Asami was talking, and then it'd become loud again. I don't know if the director did this on purpose to highlight Asami's shyness but it didn't work. It only served to annoy me.

It's an Angel Di Maria for me, I'm afraid.

What did I like? Not much, really. I suppose Asami's pretty cute.

What I didn't like? The plot twist, the sound, the fact that Asami sprayed stuff to incapacitate the son and then walked through the mist unaffected.

Favourite scene? Didn't have one.

Who stole the show? Aoyama was a likeable character.
I personally took the point about Aoyama to be that what he's doing doesn't seem wrong but undeniably is. However, he's also a victim of social pressures which creates his (unquestioned) motives throughout the film.

Lest we forget, it's his son who forces him to find a bride and being in the role of patriarch, which he naively accepts it without question. This leads him to doing the audition under false pretense, which affects Asami negatively even though she's aware of what's happening and even plays into it. Having been the victim of abuse earlier in life, truly she is the empowered one throughout the story, not Aoyama despite us feeling that he's the one in control due to power/status.

Aside from putting us as the spectator into a compromised position - we think we/Aoyama is in control when he's not - a great quality is that the film doesn't tell you who to actively root for. Both characters end up having humongous flaws and it ends up being a not-so-subtle look at the dynamics of power relations between men and women under a horror framework, which I think is a much more realistic take on things even in spite of the truly horrific and disturbing last scene.

The line for example where Asami is torturing him and says 'but I thought you loved only me' stood out as a reminder that Aoyama isn't doing what he's doing because he loves her, though he might, but more because he wants to please his son. That she's actually wrong to make the claim ends up being a huge flaw of her character but not a total disregard of the truth she's referring to - which is a distillation I think of how she as a younger female has been led on by Aoyama.

Your point about how he ignores his co-worker's affection is a good one and I think meant to refer to ageism. He seems genuinely bothered at first when she tells him she's engaged but then begins to ignore her affections later on when he falls for Asami. That she appears in his nightmares comes across like deep down he knows he should be looking for someone like her, but he's gone for a younger, more attractive girl in Asami. Somebody he can show off.

The scene also where he introduces Asami to his ex-wife (deceased) and she says 'no, she's not good for you' also strikes me this way.

As well, an interesting sub-point is that actress playing Asami, Eihi Shiina was a model prior to getting this part. There's a glaring point there I'm sure about objectification the film is trying to remind us about.

Anyway, bit of a text dump here and I don't disagree with you that the film isn't masterful. I'd put it under the lines of 'more interesting to talk about afterwards than watch' :)

Last edited:

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I read your review and I can totally see where you're coming from. I deliberately didn't read it before I wrote mine (I didn't know anything about the film apart from @Murder on Zidane's Floor's introductory blurb and the pic of Asami with the syringe). My review is my initial feeling about the film having just watched it and, now that I've read your posts, lots of it makes more sense. However, if it turns out that Asami is Aoyama's long-lost daughter, or that he wronged her family decades ago, or he slighted her in some other way other than being an older man in Japan, where he's simply acting in tandem with cultural norms, I'd understand why she goes radio rental at the end. I just don't get it. Even if he stands for the patriarchy, I don't get her motivation. Is she going to torture and de-limb everyone older than her who makes a pass at her?

To flip your analysis on its head, here is a guy who could have picked any of those girls based on looks but he chose her because he was impressed with who she was, where she'd come from and how she had coped with trauma. Despite warnings from his friend, he saw beyond the mystery of her past and her obvious low economic/societal status. You might see that as akin to other societies (like the Indian caste system or the master/slave relationship in the American plantations) where someone with power uses it to exploit someone of a lowlier status, but it could also be viewed from the Edward and Mrs Simpson standpoint, whereby someone is prepared to look beyond the gap in power, wealth and status because of.... love.

Ultimately, I don't understand the reason for the gore at the end. It was like watching an episode of Emmerdale and then, just before the credits, someone walks into the Woolpack with a chainsaw and wreaks havoc. It's unnecessary, in my opinion, and sort of undermines a lot of the great points you make about the dynamics of the characters in the film.

Film 5 - Headhunters

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Right! Get your popcorn in the microwave, grab a cold one, keep the lights off, unlock the doors, kick back and enjoy this week's featurette...............

.....................HEADHUNTERS!

Synopsis: Roger, an art thief, tries to steal a valuable painting from Clas, an ex-mercenary. Soon, he finds himself in a precarious situation and learns that his wife may be involved with Clas.
Release date: 6 April 2012 (United Kingdom)
Director: Morten Tyldum
Languages: English, Russian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian
Box office: 15.39 million USD
Budget: 3.637 million USD
Story by: Jo Nesbø

Badunk

Right! Get your popcorn in the microwave, grab a cold one, keep the lights off, unlock the doors, kick back and enjoy this week's featurette...............

.....................HEADHUNTERS!

Synopsis: Roger, an art thief, tries to steal a valuable painting from Clas, an ex-mercenary. Soon, he finds himself in a precarious situation and learns that his wife may be involved with Clas.
Release date: 6 April 2012 (United Kingdom)
Director: Morten Tyldum
Languages: English, Russian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian
Box office: 15.39 million USD
Budget: 3.637 million USD
Story by: Jo Nesbø

Ok, I watched this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kudos to @Murder on Zidane's Floor for another good choice!

I think the first duty of any film is to entertain you, the viewer. Hey you, the viewer! You will be entertained by this film! It is a kind of black comedy. It is a kind of a crime thriller. It is a kind of a love story. It is a kind of a slapstick romp. The synopsis doesn't really do this film justice. According to @Murder on Zidane's Floor's review criteria/advice, there should be a 'best scene'. It's something I've really struggled with in previous reviews because, even if I like a movie, nothing 'stands out' as a single scene. However, with Headhunters, it's the opposite - there's four or five really brilliant scenes where I was left gobsmacked or laughed out loud. The first one was when Roger was trying to dump his crime partner's body in the river and Ove comes back up to the surface for air! I was grossed out when Roger hid in a quicksand of shit trying to hide from Clas. I was open-mouthed when the truck hit the cop car and knocked it off the mountain road. I laughed when Roger shot Lotte with the gun in his pants so it looked like he shot her with his dick. There were other good scenes like the two shootouts at Ove's house and others that I can't remember of the top of my head but I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

For me, it's a film about appearances. Roger is a shorter-than-average guy and he's afraid to totally commit to Diana (who's pretty tall) and give her a child because he thinks she's only into him because of his money. He only has money because he uses his day job to steal expensive art from the people he's supposed to be prepping for better jobs. Your led to believe that Lotte is the one he should be with because they are shown having rampant sex, she seems to love him and she's shorter than him. But then she ends up being a sort of honey trap assassin. He got Ove his security job only so that he could get him into other peoples' homes. Roger seems to be really good as a headhunter but he's only using his skills to get people an interview with a big company so that he can make sure they're not at home when he's there stealing their art. Roger gets arrested by mistake because the cops are convinced he's Ove. He shaves his head to change his appearance to ostensibly get rid of the microscopic tracking devices. The cop leading the investigation into the stolen art does a double take when Roger walks past him at the morgue. This cop also knows that all the evidence to the various crimes committed during the film doesn't add up but lets it slide because he increases his fame by doing so. I could go on but the film is full of nods to this theme. Appearances. Why they matter and why they don't matter.

This one's a Bobby Charlton for me. Really great movie.

I really liked the change of pace and the plot twists. You think it's going to be one thing, then it's another and then it goes somewhere else altogether.

Didn't dislike anything. Maybe the dog being impaled on the tractor. I'm a softy for animals dying, even when it's only pretend.

Favourite scene was Ove in the river. It was the first moment that threw me and made me think that this wasn't going to be a run-of-the-mill film.

Roger stole the show. Everyone was great, though, but he was a successful businessman, proud husband, cheating adulterer, master art thief, frightened prey, escaped fugitive, jilted husband and more besides. Really impressive 'range' as luvvies would say.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Ok, I watched this last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Kudos to @Murder on Zidane's Floor for another good choice!

I think the first duty of any film is to entertain you, the viewer. Hey you, the viewer! You will be entertained by this film! It is a kind of black comedy. It is a kind of a crime thriller. It is a kind of a love story. It is a kind of a slapstick romp. The synopsis doesn't really do this film justice. According to @Murder on Zidane's Floor's review criteria/advice, there should be a 'best scene'. It's something I've really struggled with in previous reviews because, even if I like a movie, nothing 'stands out' as a single scene. However, with Headhunters, it's the opposite - there's four or five really brilliant scenes where I was left gobsmacked or laughed out loud. The first one was when Roger was trying to dump his crime partner's body in the river and Ove comes back up to the surface for air! I was grossed out when Roger hid in a quicksand of shit trying to hide from Clas. I was open-mouthed when the truck hit the cop car and knocked it off the mountain road. I laughed when Roger shot Lotte with the gun in his pants so it looked like he shot her with his dick. There were other good scenes like the two shootouts at Ove's house and others that I can't remember of the top of my head but I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

For me, it's a film about appearances. Roger is a shorter-than-average guy and he's afraid to totally commit to Diana (who's pretty tall) and give her a child because he thinks she's only into him because of his money. He only has money because he uses his day job to steal expensive art from the people he's supposed to be prepping for better jobs. Your led to believe that Lotte is the one he should be with because they are shown having rampant sex, she seems to love him and she's shorter than him. But then she ends up being a sort of honey trap assassin. He got Ove his security job only so that he could get him into other peoples' homes. Roger seems to be really good as a headhunter but he's only using his skills to get people an interview with a big company so that he can make sure they're not at home when he's there stealing their art. Roger gets arrested by mistake because the cops are convinced he's Ove. He shaves his head to change his appearance to ostensibly get rid of the microscopic tracking devices. The cop leading the investigation into the stolen art does a double take when Roger walks past him at the morgue. This cop also knows that all the evidence to the various crimes committed during the film doesn't add up but lets it slide because he increases his fame by doing so. I could go on but the film is full of nods to this theme. Appearances. Why they matter and why they don't matter.

This one's a Bobby Charlton for me. Really great movie.

I really liked the change of pace and the plot twists. You think it's going to be one thing, then it's another and then it goes somewhere else altogether.

Didn't dislike anything. Maybe the dog being impaled on the tractor. I'm a softy for animals dying, even when it's only pretend.

Favourite scene was Ove in the river. It was the first moment that threw me and made me think that this wasn't going to be a run-of-the-mill film.

Roger stole the show. Everyone was great, though, but he was a successful businessman, proud husband, cheating adulterer, master art thief, frightened prey, escaped fugitive, jilted husband and more besides. Really impressive 'range' as luvvies would say.
Another superb review. I really echo your sentiments, especially that films should be entertaining and this certainly is! I remember going into it knowing utterly nothing about it, the cinema was pretty empty but was a real gem! Felt like I had to tell people about it and took some friends to see it and they all thoroughly enjoyed it.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Film 6 - The Skin I Live In

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Right! The movie club is moving slowly around the world, so far we've had French, Korean, and Norwegian films. Now it's time to head south to the warmer climbs of Spain. Get your popcorn in the microwave, grab a cold one, keep the lights off, unlock the doors, kick back and enjoy this week's featurette...............

.....................The Skin I Live In!

Synopsis: Ever since his beloved wife was horribly burned in an auto accident, Dr. Robert Ledgard (Antonio Banderas), a skilled plastic surgeon, has tried to develop a new skin that could save the lives of burn victims. Finally, after 12 years, Ledgard has created a skin that guards the body but is still sensitive to touch. With the aid of his faithful housekeeper (Marisa Paredes), Ledgard tests his creation on Vera (Elena Anaya)....
Release date: 26 August 2011 (United Kingdom)
Director: Pedro Almodóvar
Box office: 30.8 million USD
Budget: 13.5 million USD, 10 million EUR

Badunk

Going to probably watch it today, mate. Been glued to twitter with all the FTX drama in crypto. I'm off all week so I will watch it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
@Badunk and @Vidyoyo - you guys ever seen The Skin I Live In?
A while back, it's pretty good from what I remember. One of those movies about the conflicting nature of psychology and physical appearance in the vein of Eyes Without a Face, and The Face of Another. Only with more Almodovar flair :)

Is it streaming anywhere? I wouldn't mind a rewatch

Murder on Zidane's Floor

A while back, it's pretty good from what I remember. One of those movies about the conflicting nature of psychology and physical appearance in the vein of Eyes Without a Face, and The Face of Another. Only with more Almodovar flair :)

Is it streaming anywhere? I wouldn't mind a rewatch
I don't think so, it's fairly obscure unless you're a movie buff, might be a rental if you can justify the cost.

Honestly, the twist floored me, that and the scene of the two shagging - just so messed up. The realization of what has happened to him really freaked me out, think it was a brutal reveal, the stuff of actual horror films, and a fantastic concept. Felt the filming and the look of the film was fantastic as well, bright and colorful yet, strangely at points a real sense of sterility. European cinema does have an incredible flair that is hard to quantify

Will check out the other two movies you mentioned!

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Going to probably watch it today, mate. Been glued to twitter with all the FTX drama in crypto. I'm off all week so I will watch it.
Yeah me too, waiting for the Bennett Tomlin/Cas Piancy podcast update on it, listened to the last one that was released four or so days ago, sure the update will be insane.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Apologies for the sporadic posting but personal/work stuff is dragging me sideways!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I don't think so, it's fairly obscure unless you're a movie buff, might be a rental if you can justify the cost.

Honestly, the twist floored me, that and the scene of the two shagging - just so messed up. The realization of what has happened to him really freaked me out, think it was a brutal reveal, the stuff of actual horror films, and a fantastic concept. Felt the filming and the look of the film was fantastic as well, bright and colorful yet, strangely at points a real sense of sterility. European cinema does have an incredible flair that is hard to quantify

Will check out the other two movies you mentioned!
Just had a look and Almodovar has said Eyes Without a Face influenced it. That's a classic in the horror genre tbh and definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The other is more surreal, dare I say Lynchian, a bit more of an acquired taste.

I'll have to give this a rewatch sometime, maybe at the weekend, and share my thoughts proper. I don't remember the plot much nor your spoiler at all :lol:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Just had a look and Almodovar has said Eyes Without a Face influenced it. That's a classic in the horror genre tbh and definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it. The other is more surreal, dare I say Lynchian, a bit more of an acquired taste.

I'll have to give this a rewatch sometime, maybe at the weekend, and share my thoughts proper. I don't remember the plot much nor your spoiler at all :lol:
Haha now I am worried I am thinking of another film!

Badunk

Here's my review:

This is a strange mix. It's like revenge porn but instead of posting intimate moments online to humiliate a former lover, you instead kidnap an enemy, perform a sex change on him and then shag him. I'm reminded of a viral YouTube video from several years back, called Britain's Scariest Debt Collector or something like that. The guy was a scouser called Sean, from what I remember, and he was pretty scary. What was even more scary, though, was an anecdote that he recounted from his early days as a criminal enforcer type. Him and two older, more experienced thugs kidnapped a rival and took him somewhere secluded to, as Sean thought, beat the living shit out of him. However, much to Sean's surprise, one of the older thugs held the guy bent over and face down while the other one raped him. They also took photos while they did it. Sean was obviously taken aback but they explained that their victim was "just like us" and "can take a kickin". According to them, being raped and them having the evidence that it had happened would be a more effective way to keep the guy in line than a spot of GBH.

So, did the writer of this film see the YouTube video in question? Or was Britain's Scariest Debt collector a bit of an avant garde film buff who liked to tell tall tales? Well, I guess we'll never know.

Plastic surgeon with a broken ethical compass kidnaps a guy who he thinks raped his daughter, performs a sex change on him, makes him/her his bitch and s/he ends up killing him. Oh, and the housekeeper is in on it for some reason. Does he do it out of guilt? Is he trying to replace his dead wife? Did he abuse his own daughter and put her in an asylum? We don't know. And, frankly, I don't care.

It's a Lee Sharpe for me.

I liked the house. It was gorgeous.

I disliked the fact that Vicente was kidnapped for, what appeared to be weeks, in the outbuilding but his facial hair didn't grow at all.

Favourite scene is difficult. Even though the subject matter could be considered horrific, it wasn't gory or anything. It's like a middle class version of The Human Centipede. But it was well shot, well directed. Maybe the scene where Banderas comes in and lies on the chaise lounge to watch Vera and the painting on the wall is of someone lying down watching someone else. I like little subtexts and Easter eggs like that.

Who stole the show? The house. I would love to live somewhere like that.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Here's my review:

This is a strange mix. It's like revenge porn but instead of posting intimate moments online to humiliate a former lover, you instead kidnap an enemy, perform a sex change on him and then shag him. I'm reminded of a viral YouTube video from several years back, called Britain's Scariest Debt Collector or something like that. The guy was a scouser called Sean, from what I remember, and he was pretty scary. What was even more scary, though, was an anecdote that he recounted from his early days as a criminal enforcer type. Him and two older, more experienced thugs kidnapped a rival and took him somewhere secluded to, as Sean thought, beat the living shit out of him. However, much to Sean's surprise, one of the older thugs held the guy bent over and face down while the other one raped him. They also took photos while they did it. Sean was obviously taken aback but they explained that their victim was "just like us" and "can take a kickin". According to them, being raped and them having the evidence that it had happened would be a more effective way to keep the guy in line than a spot of GBH.

So, did the writer of this film see the YouTube video in question? Or was Britain's Scariest Debt collector a bit of an avant garde film buff who liked to tell tall tales? Well, I guess we'll never know.

Plastic surgeon with a broken ethical compass kidnaps a guy who he thinks raped his daughter, performs a sex change on him, makes him/her his bitch and s/he ends up killing him. Oh, and the housekeeper is in on it for some reason. Does he do it out of guilt? Is he trying to replace his dead wife? Did he abuse his own daughter and put her in an asylum? We don't know. And, frankly, I don't care.

It's a Lee Sharpe for me.

I liked the house. It was gorgeous.

I disliked the fact that Vicente was kidnapped for, what appeared to be weeks, in the outbuilding but his facial hair didn't grow at all.

Favourite scene is difficult. Even though the subject matter could be considered horrific, it wasn't gory or anything. It's like a middle class version of The Human Centipede. But it was well shot, well directed. Maybe the scene where Banderas comes in and lies on the chaise lounge to watch Vera and the painting on the wall is of someone lying down watching someone else. I like little subtexts and Easter eggs like that.

Who stole the show? The house. I would love to live somewhere like that.
feck what a reference! I saw that video from Vice too (although I didn't find him particulary scary).

It's a ridiculous concept, I felt the moment you realise what has been done to Vicente, it was stomach churning to me. Something so fundamental to be changed against your will, to have this realisation, I really empathised with the character, purely from a film/conceptual POV.

I felt it asked a hell of a question. I agree with you though, it's a batshit crazy film that is a bit of a mess. I like the shock factor and the way it is filmed. You're also right about the house, it is stunning, in Toldeo right?

Film 7 - A Prophet

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Right! The movie club is moving slowly due to my personal life but I am happy to keep going! Get your popcorn in the microwave, grab a cold one, keep the lights off, unlock the doors, kick back and enjoy this week's featurette...............

.....................A PROPHET

Synopsis: This acclaimed crime drama follows Malik El Djebena (Tahar Rahim), a delinquent young Muslim man, who is struggling to get by in a French prison. When he is taken under the wing of powerful Corsican mob boss Cesar Luciani (Niels Arestrup), he begins performing regular assignments for him, proving himself invaluable to the imposing criminal. As Malik rises in the mob ranks, he gains more power, but also more enemies, a situation that eventually brings conflict with his mentor.
Release date: 22 January 2010
Director: Jacques Audiard
Box office: 13 million USD
Budget: 17.9 million USD

Badunk

Right! The movie club is moving slowly due to my personal life but I am happy to keep going! Get your popcorn in the microwave, grab a cold one, keep the lights off, unlock the doors, kick back and enjoy this week's featurette...............

Synopsis: This acclaimed crime drama follows Malik El Djebena (Tahar Rahim), a delinquent young Muslim man, who is struggling to get by in a French prison. When he is taken under the wing of powerful Corsican mob boss Cesar Luciani (Niels Arestrup), he begins performing regular assignments for him, proving himself invaluable to the imposing criminal. As Malik rises in the mob ranks, he gains more power, but also more enemies, a situation that eventually brings conflict with his mentor.
I've actually seen this one before. I'll let others see it before writing a review.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

Synopsis: The courage and friendship of two Romanian college students is tested when Gabita (Laura Vasiliu) discovers that she is pregnant by her boyfriend (Alex Potocean), and seeks an illegal abortion with the help of her classmate Otilia (Anamaria Marinca). Enlisting the services of the shady Mr. Bebe (Vlad Ivanov), the two girls find themselves in extremely tense and uncomfortable situations and must rely on their mutual support to get them through the ordeal.
Release date: 11 January 2008 (UK)
Director: Cristian Mungiu
Budget: 600,000 EUR
Box office: 9.8 million USD

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

This was such an overrated film, and I hate the term overrated. The gushing over it was so weird. Niels Arestrup was great in it though.

Badunk

This is what I wrote about it in the Movie Review thread back in 2012:

A Prophet- Film about a young Arab guy who goes to jail, gets used as a pawn by Corsican terrorists, they come to rely on him but still treat him like shit, lots of the Corsicans get out (thus losing their grip on the jail), he befriends the muslims, the muslims take over, he gets revenge on the Corsicans for treating him like shit, dah-de-dah-de-dah, it's a bit boring. And long. Yeah, long and boring. And French jails look soft. 4/10

I will probably watch the next movie tonight or tomorrow and post a review..

Murder on Zidane's Floor

A Prophet- Film about a young Arab guy who goes to jail, gets used as a pawn by Corsican terrorists, they come to rely on him but still treat him like shit, lots of the Corsicans get out (thus losing their grip on the jail), he befriends the muslims, the muslims take over, he gets revenge on the Corsicans for treating him like shit, dah-de-dah-de-dah, it's a bit boring. And long. Yeah, long and boring. And French jails look soft. 4/10

Wow, the last thing I ever thought in the movie was French jails look soft :lol:

Appreciate your thoughts - sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah? What didn't you like about it?

I can identify to a lot of what Badunk said. I think Jacques Audiard is a pretentious filmmaker who thinks he's doing things to elevate the art, when it's overall a completely run of the mill prison film with decent to strong (Niels Arestrup) performances, and weird artsy sequences that don't quite work (I seem to recall one of a dead man dancing? Yeah, not everyone can pull that off Jacques, you're no Werner Herzog).

It's not terrible but there was also this massive positive, over-awed reaction to it in France when it came out, like they'd just reinvented the baguette or something, that contributed to my overall impression I think.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

I can identify to a lot of what Badunk said. I think Jacques Audiard is a pretentious filmmaker who thinks he's doing things to elevate the art, when it's overall a completely run of the mill prison film with decent to strong (Niels Arestrup) performances, and weird artsy sequences that don't quite work (I seem to recall one of a dead man dancing? Yeah, not everyone can pull that off Jacques, you're no Werner Herzog).

It's not terrible but there was also this massive positive, over-awed reaction to it in France when it came out, like they'd just reinvented the baguette or something, that contributed to my overall impression I think.
:lol: - fantastic- thanks!

Badunk

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days

Synopsis: The courage and friendship of two Romanian college students is tested when Gabita (Laura Vasiliu) discovers that she is pregnant by her boyfriend (Alex Potocean), and seeks an illegal abortion with the help of her classmate Otilia (Anamaria Marinca). Enlisting the services of the shady Mr. Bebe (Vlad Ivanov), the two girls find themselves in extremely tense and uncomfortable situations and must rely on their mutual support to get them through the ordeal.
Release date: 11 January 2008 (UK)
Director: Cristian Mungiu
Budget: 600,000 EUR
Box office: 9.8 million USD
Ok, this was a great film. The subject matter was no fun and I had to switch off at one point because I felt very uncomfortable. But that's the sign of a great director - you are invested in the characters and begin to feel what they are going through.

The film's main focus is the relationship between the two girls, Gabita and Otilia, and the back street abortionist, Mr Bebe. When they meet in the hotel room to discuss the circumstances of Gabita's pregnancy and how they are going to proceed, I was really blown away by the performance of Bebe (Vlad Ivanov). He was very restrained and spoke quietly but confidently. He seemed sympathetic and empathetic with the girls' predicament but also seemed exasperated that they hadn't followed his instructions to the letter. Then - BAM! - he's had enough of their shit and spells it out to them without actually spelling it out to them. He doesn't want money for his services and if they aren't prepared to meet his price, then sayonara, go and ask someone else to help you. There's no prolonged bargaining process and then Otilia begins to undress. This is when I switched off for a while. I felt really uncomfortable, in a way that I hadn't done so since the rape scene in This is England 86.

The film then proceeds to show Bebe performing the procedure, not in explicit detail but not exactly hiding anything either, and he then leaves the girls to let nature take its course, for want of a better phrase. He offers advice on what to do if things don't go according to plan and tells them to contact him if they have any concerns. Understandably, considering the 'transaction' that just took place, Otilia declines his offer. Gabita has to remain still on the bed in order for the termination to occur, so Otilia goes to her boyfriend's house because it's his mother's birthday. What follows is an awkward gathering of what I'll describe as Ceausescu-era gammonati, constantly putting down the youth of today and how easy they have it compared to their own upbringing. Otilia tries to ring Gabita at the hotel and gets no answer, so becomes worried. This is a communist totalitarian regime with secret police, so the fear of being caught doing something like this is very real. Otilia obviously has a lot on her mind and makes her excuses and leaves.

She returns to the hotel to find that foetus has passed and Gabita has left it in the bathroom. Again, nothing is hidden from the viewer and Otilia wraps up the unborn child and leaves soon after, with Gabita insisting that she will bury it, won't she? We're then led through a very uncomfortable journey through the bleak night time, as Otilia seeks to dispose of the foetus. She eventually goes up to the top of a block of flats and puts it in the garbage chute - as Bebe had told her to - before returning to the hotel. The final scene shows the two girls in the hotel restaurant ordering something to eat and agreeing to never speak about this again. And there's a good 20 seconds of Gabita looking down at her plate with Otilia looking straight at her. Is she disgusted with Gabita for dragging her into this? Is she disgusted at herself for getting involved? She has Bebe's flick-knife - is she plotting revenge? She has his ID and she knows where he lives. So many questions, so many things left hanging in the air. A bit like the Haneke films that have been brought to my attention by this thread.

This is a Sir Bobby for me. Really enjoyed it.

What I liked was that there was no music score (that I can remember) and you are left with just the dialogue and the many things that are left unsaid.

I felt uncomfortable at times but I didn't dislike anything about the film. I found it really engaging.

Favourite scene was Bebe and the girls discussing the payment for the procedure. It was heavy. Heavy heavy heavy. They were all fantastic.

Who stole the show? Bebe. Although it was close. Otilia was the character with the most screen time and Gabita performed a lot of her dialogue as a voice off camera. It was a brilliant performance all round.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Ok, this was a great film. The subject matter was no fun and I had to switch off at one point because I felt very uncomfortable. But that's the sign of a great director - you are invested in the characters and begin to feel what they are going through.

The film's main focus is the relationship between the two girls, Gabita and Otilia, and the back street abortionist, Mr Bebe. When they meet in the hotel room to discuss the circumstances of Gabita's pregnancy and how they are going to proceed, I was really blown away by the performance of Bebe (Vlad Ivanov). He was very restrained and spoke quietly but confidently. He seemed sympathetic and empathetic with the girls' predicament but also seemed exasperated that they hadn't followed his instructions to the letter. Then - BAM! - he's had enough of their shit and spells it out to them without actually spelling it out to them. He doesn't want money for his services and if they aren't prepared to meet his price, then sayonara, go and ask someone else to help you. There's no prolonged bargaining process and then Otilia begins to undress. This is when I switched off for a while. I felt really uncomfortable, in a way that I hadn't done so since the rape scene in This is England 86.

The film then proceeds to show Bebe performing the procedure, not in explicit detail but not exactly hiding anything either, and he then leaves the girls to let nature take its course, for want of a better phrase. He offers advice on what to do if things don't go according to plan and tells them to contact him if they have any concerns. Understandably, considering the 'transaction' that just took place, Otilia declines his offer. Gabita has to remain still on the bed in order for the termination to occur, so Otilia goes to her boyfriend's house because it's his mother's birthday. What follows is an awkward gathering of what I'll describe as Ceausescu-era gammonati, constantly putting down the youth of today and how easy they have it compared to their own upbringing. Otilia tries to ring Gabita at the hotel and gets no answer, so becomes worried. This is a communist totalitarian regime with secret police, so the fear of being caught doing something like this is very real. Otilia obviously has a lot on her mind and makes her excuses and leaves.

She returns to the hotel to find that foetus has passed and Gabita has left it in the bathroom. Again, nothing is hidden from the viewer and Otilia wraps up the unborn child and leaves soon after, with Gabita insisting that she will bury it, won't she? We're then led through a very uncomfortable journey through the bleak night time, as Otilia seeks to dispose of the foetus. She eventually goes up to the top of a block of flats and puts it in the garbage chute - as Bebe had told her to - before returning to the hotel. The final scene shows the two girls in the hotel restaurant ordering something to eat and agreeing to never speak about this again. And there's a good 20 seconds of Gabita looking down at her plate with Otilia looking straight at her. Is she disgusted with Gabita for dragging her into this? Is she disgusted at herself for getting involved? She has Bebe's flick-knife - is she plotting revenge? She has his ID and she knows where he lives. So many questions, so many things left hanging in the air. A bit like the Haneke films that have been brought to my attention by this thread.

This is a Sir Bobby for me. Really enjoyed it.

What I liked was that there was no music score (that I can remember) and you are left with just the dialogue and the many things that are left unsaid.

I felt uncomfortable at times but I didn't dislike anything about the film. I found it really engaging.

Favourite scene was Bebe and the girls discussing the payment for the procedure. It was heavy. Heavy heavy heavy. They were all fantastic.

Who stole the show? Bebe. Although it was close. Otilia was the character with the most screen time and Gabita performed a lot of her dialogue as a voice off camera. It was a brilliant performance all round.
Fantastic review, I'm glad you "enjoyed it" (obviously not like watching Naked Gun ffs) but it's a brutal film and like you with these types of films I usually pause them to contemplate and go get a tea, ruminate in my head for a few minutes then get back to it.

Film 9 - The Rules of Attraction

Murder on Zidane's Floor

.....................Rules of Attraction!

Synopsis: Sean Bateman is a freshman at Camden College, who's in love with Lauren Hyde. She's waiting for her wastrel boyfriend Victor Johnson to come back from a trip around Europe, while Paul Denton, who used to date Lauren, is exploring his bisexual side with a crush on Sean.
Release date: 28 March 2003 (UK)
Director: Roger Avary
Adapted from: The Rules of Attraction
Distributed by: Lionsgate, Lionsgate Films
Box office: $11.8 million

Badunk

.....................Rules of Attraction!

Synopsis: Sean Bateman is a freshman at Camden College, who's in love with Lauren Hyde. She's waiting for her wastrel boyfriend Victor Johnson to come back from a trip around Europe, while Paul Denton, who used to date Lauren, is exploring his bisexual side with a crush on Sean.
Release date: 28 March 2003 (UK)
Director: Roger Avary
Adapted from: The Rules of Attraction
Distributed by: Lionsgate, Lionsgate Films
Box office: $11.8 million
Shannyn Sossamon is absolutely gorgeous.

This is going to be a short review. I'm not a fan of American coming of age films. The guys are all good looking, the girls are all beautiful, the parties are all the same and everyone is a philosopher. I just find the characters in these movies are so cliché. It's an entertaining enough romp but I didn't like any of the people, I didn't care about their trials and tribulations and I found them all vacuous and narcissistic. Everyone wants someone else who doesn't want them.

It's a middle of the road Lee Sharpe for me.

Liked: the soundtrack. It was amazing.
Disliked: a girl was raped and another committed suicide but there was no gravity to either situation. I just felt those scenes were dealt with very badly. You're also not going to go to a coked-out drug dealer's house filled with his minions, owing him a lot of money, and then attack him for a laugh. Just doesn't happen.
Favourite scene: didn't have one but I'm a red blooded male and there were plenty of scantily clad ladies throughout the movie.
Who stole the show: Shannyn Sossamon. I have a thing for women with short hair (like Morena Baccarin in V) so it was worth it just to see her.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Shannyn Sossamon is absolutely gorgeous.

This is going to be a short review. I'm not a fan of American coming of age films. The guys are all good looking, the girls are all beautiful, the parties are all the same and everyone is a philosopher. I just find the characters in these movies are so cliché. It's an entertaining enough romp but I didn't like any of the people, I didn't care about their trials and tribulations and I found them all vacuous and narcissistic. Everyone wants someone else who doesn't want them.

It's a middle of the road Lee Sharpe for me.

Liked: the soundtrack. It was amazing.
Disliked: a girl was raped and another committed suicide but there was no gravity to either situation. I just felt those scenes were dealt with very badly. You're also not going to go to a coked-out drug dealer's house filled with his minions, owing him a lot of money, and then attack him for a laugh. Just doesn't happen.
Favourite scene: didn't have one but I'm a red blooded male and there were plenty of scantily clad ladies throughout the movie.
Who stole the show: Shannyn Sossamon. I have a thing for women with short hair (like Morena Baccarin in V) so it was worth it just to see her.
I disagree, I feel the bleakness and narcissism is the point, that kids are losing touch with reality, completely vacuous, self centred, naive and are entering adulthood who will go onto professional roles with power and privilege and they're all bad people.

The death is brutal and the rape is horrific but I think shows the (use the word again) bleakness of modern life and how things happen and in reality you're not getting a fan fare or attention, these things just happen to you and it's cold and merciless.

The soundtrack is killer, I enjoyed the editing and the general darkness of the movie. I think if you don't think the director is trying to be cool or showcase these people as likeable/loveable antiheroes then it makes more sense.

I think as a coming of age film, it's better interpretation and a more cynical one (that I love) than most others.

Also second women with short hair, good lord it's my kryptonite.