Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Blinded by the Light. Quite a lot of what this has to say is delivered in pretty broad strokes and not all the performances are note perfect, but it is very charming. It's a tribute to both Bruce Springsteen and to British-Asian teenagers, and it beautifully acknowledges the special connection you form with the music you discover at that age. You learn a bit in the company of this, you laugh a bit as well, and you leave the cinema a little happier. 7/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Gotti (2018)

Let's just say that if you want to watch a movie about John Gotti..stick to the one from 1996 by HBO.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Mission: Impossible 2

It's really silly.

4/10

SteveJ

Scout
The slo-mo nose wheelies actually made me laugh, mate. And the dialogue (!):

"Purra sock in it, och the noo plus shortbread!!!!"

And Tom's dreadful hair(!!)

And...and...

I like M:I films, for all their unbelievability, but this one was...disastrous, IMO.

Charlie Foley

I recently rewatched The Thing (1982) and I still consider it the greatest horror movie of all time.

10/10

Art Vandelay

I recently rewatched The Thing (1982) and I still consider it the greatest horror movie of all time.

10/10
The Thing is an absolute masterpiece, but I think Halloween edges it for me. Carpenter had one hell of a hot streak.

I ended up watching a few videos with theories on if Childs or McCready were the alien at the end. It's fascinating that 40 years later people are still analyzing every detail for clues.

Member 39557

The slo-mo nose wheelies actually made me laugh, mate. And the dialogue (!):

"Purra sock in it, och the noo plus shortbread!!!!"

And Tom's dreadful hair(!!)

And...and...

I like M:I films, for all their unbelievability, but this one was...disastrous, IMO.
I've mentioned it plenty of times before, but cruise and thandie newton staring into each others eyes as the cars spin around by the edge of a cliff was the hilarious lowlight for me.

SteveJ

Scout
It was a totally pointless car duel anyway.

There was more chemistry between Hunt and M:I's 'Max' (60 year-old Vanessa Redgrave) than between Hunt and Nyah.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

10/10
I've never fully watched it because I saw the bit where they killed the damn dogs when I was younger and could never go back to it after that.

I can watch countless people get slaughtered on screens but dogs man.. not the fecking dogs.

sully07

The Abyss Less of a review, more of a question to see if others thought the same. I have watched this film several times and for all but the last 5 minutes would rank this a solid 8/10, possibly a 9/10. I can't shake the feeling the director got his 6 year old daughter to write and direct the last 5 minutes. Totally ruins it for me every time.

SteveJ

Scout
Sicario

Far more sober, measured and intelligent than I had anticipated.

8.5/10

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Abyss Less of a review, more of a question to see if others thought the same. I have watched this film several times and for all but the last 5 minutes would rank this a solid 8/10, possibly a 9/10. I can't shake the feeling the director got his 6 year old daughter to write and direct the last 5 minutes. Totally ruins it for me every time.
Ooh, now that’s a blast from the past. Just found a movie I need to re-watch after a long time since.

AaronRedDevil

Last year I had a list of 20 movies to see. Here what I think of them.
  1. V for Vendetta. 8/10 excellent movie.
  2. Citizen Kane. Haven't seen yet.
  3. Schindlers list. 9/10. Very surprised how I enjoyed this movie. Easily Liam Neeson best movie. Masterpiece.
  4. 2001 Space odyssey. 0/10. Couldn't even get through the first 10 hours of monkeys jumping around. It's like they left the camera on and the cast got high in the suits and just sat there. Might watch it again to get past that part. Jesus I was bored hah.
  5. Apocalypse Now. 9/10. Marlon Brando was brilliant in this. Ending messed with my head. Messed up.
  6. Platoon. 6/10. Good acting but a bit underwhelming. At the end I was like "that's it?"
  7. Goodfellas. 8/10. One of the best mobster movies of course.
  8. Usual suspects. 8/10. I knew who Kevin was since the Internet spoiled it but still really cool how they pulled it off. I do miss spacey a bit. Yeah he's whatever, but can't deny his acting.
  9. The big lewbowski. 7/10. Enjoyable movie. Wasn't really expecting to like it.
  10. American Psycho. 8/10. Bale best acting I've ever seen. Absolute nut job.
  11. American beauty. 7/10. We'll this is awkward considering what happens in the future. Suits the role I guess.
  12. Blade runner. 5/10. Yeah the world was well built but everything else was underwhelming. I heard a lot about it. But was bored through most of it. The new blade runner is better imo.
  13. No country for old men. 8/10. Very good. Main villain was menacing.
  14. There will be blood. 9/10. Wow, Danial day Lewis. That is all.
  15. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind. Haven't seen it yet. worth watching?
  16. Good morning Vietnam. 9/10. So fun in a dark moment in history. Robin shines a light and his radio talk is entertaining. Not a dull moment in the movie. God I miss him!
  17. Dead poets society. 8/10. Very good movie. Robin was brilliant again.
  18. Momento. Have not seen it.
  19. Prestige. 8/10 great movie, bale vs jackman and Alfred. If only this was comics haha. Good twist.
  20. Taxi Driver 5/10. Heard a lot about this. Personally I hate movies that just follows a guy through a normal day and then the last 5 mins are entertaining. Di Niro was decent in this.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Can't agree with your Taxi Driver assessment, and De Niro was more than decent, he was fantastic in it.

Yes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worth seeing, it's a beautiful film.

Member 39557

Sicario

8.5/10
You had just seen MI2, a film which would make a Will Ferrell comedy seem sober, measured and intelligent by comparison.

SteveJ

Scout
It was funner than most Ferrell movies, tbf.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
MI2 is dreadful, and not Face/Off or Con Air dreadful that actually makes it amazing, just dreadful.

The last few MI films have been great, though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Boondock Saints. Barely a film, just stuff strung together. It might be objectionable if it wasn't so aimless and yamnsome. I can kind of understand it's cult appeal though, it's snappy and crude and has some John Woo pretensions that might have caught my attention when I was 9 years old, and ok Willem Dafoe. But it's like Tarantino without any of the skill, imagination or devotion to cinema. Even when compared against other Tarantino knock-offs of the era, like The Salton Sea, Lock Stock, etc. the juvenile filmmaking incompetence of The Boondocks is glaring.

Overnight. Horribly fascinating doco following the rise and fall of Troy Duffy, The Boondock Saints writer and director. The documentary clears up the confusion I had about Troy's initial boost to fame. Notorious film-butcher, snitches get ditches and fellow sociopath Harvey Weinstein had seen something in him. The film shows how a bullshit artist with very little filmmaking talent or vision, through bullying and perseverence alone can almost make it. How to build a death camp.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Sicario

8.5/10
Did you feel there were enough long lingering close ups of Emily Blunt staring into the distance? That's all I remember from that film, just shot after shot of her staring. The sequel is currently on Netflix and very good.

SteveJ

Scout
Did you feel there were enough long lingering close ups of Emily Blunt staring into the distance? That's all I remember from that film, just shot after shot of her staring. The sequel is currently on Netflix and very good.
I expected a brainless shoot-'em-up, and was surprised.

AaronRedDevil

Can't agree with your Taxi Driver assessment, and De Niro was more than decent, he was fantastic in it.

Yes Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is worth seeing, it's a beautiful film.
I dunno. He just seem like he was barely acting in it. Just going through the motions. Then got a mohawk and killed people.

I'll have to give sunshine a watch so

Art Vandelay

Hereditary

I don't get what all the fuss was about. 2/3's of it were essentially just a family drama that was hinting at horror. At times it was adding a horror soundtrack to things that were not really horror related, the heartbeat overlayed soundtrack seemed more like a cheap trick than anything. It was just a lot of screaming and weird faces. The last half hour though was great. Maybe I missed a lot of stuff, but it just felt overly long and not particularly good.

My mate reckons it's the best horror of the last 30 years. I reckon it's not even the best horror of the last 2 years.

5/10

AaronRedDevil

Once upon a Time in Hollywood.

I really dislike this movie. I love tarentino films. Hateful 8, Django, kill bill, pulp fiction and reservoir dogs. All great, loved every minute of them. But this movie is fecking boring! There was no point to this, boring plot. Dicaprio and Brad Pitt were brilliant on their half. Margot Robbie side story did nothing to the movie, completely pointless. The last 40 mins were at least entertaining and the last 15 mins were funny as hell. Other then that, I can confidently say this is the worst tarentino movie.

6/10

Morpheus 7

Once upon a Time in Hollywood..

Definitely one of Tarantino's best. I'd have it behind Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and just Hateful 8. It was such a nostalgic and refreshing look and retelling of a time period. The use of popular culture references have always been Quentin's biggest post modern traits, in this film it was more celebrating aspects of the industry he clearly loves. The cinematography was consistent and use of Sunny LA was great. Di Caprio and Pitt were hilarious on screen and film was at a chilled pace, except for the finale. I think the middle act suffered from pacing but kicked on well again. It's a film that keeps you wondering about where it's going. The fear of how Tarantino would address the Tate incident was so tasteful. I can see future self hungover watching this over and over again, brilliant performances with originality, humour and taste.

8.5/10