Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Ramos

Doctor Sleep

Pretty good. Better than expected. The first two acts reminded me more of Scanners than The Shining for some reason. Rebecca Ferguson plays a great villain here, McGregor is always good. A bit too long of a runtime for my taste. Started to drag after a while. All in all a decent sequel. Never read the novel though so don't know how it holds up in comparison to that.

7/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Elizabeth is Missing Just wow. Glenda Jackson is surely locked in for the next Oscar for best actress. A murder mystery based on an old ladies Alzheimers riddled memory. 9/10

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
JoJo Rabbit

Was excited to see this film after enjoying WWDITS and Thor Ragnarok. Did not disappoint.

The story covers a young lad, Jojo, and his exploits in the Hitler Youth supported by his imaginary friend Adolf Hitler. The story covers Jojo's fanaticism and how it unravels as he discovers a Jewish child hidden in the attic by his delightfully eccentric mother.

Taika Waititi is brilliant as a camp Adolf Hitler, Scarlett Johansson is amazing as Jojo's eccentric and adorable mother but the kids in the film steal the show. Sam Rockwell is also notably great.

Wasn't a dry eye in the Cinema. 9/10.

Art Vandelay

Rewatched the doc Hail Satan (9/10)
Chronicles the rise of The Satanic Temple and their fight to remove a religious monument from government property. These lads are basically fighting for religious freedom, the seperation of church and state and many other issues like abortion, racism etc
Amazing watch, The Satanic Temple is a brilliant organisation. Kinda wish there was a chapter in my country, would have defo signed up.
I just watched this. It was interesting and at times oddly hilarious watch. Watching religious nutjobs get trolled is very compelling. The bit with the Westboro Baptist Church was particularly funny. The way people react to their message despite how benign it is and how they use the religious mumbo jumbo to get themselves more publicity is very interesting. They are very good at using the predictable outrage to their own advantage.

I'm hoping to discuss it in work tomorrow as I've noticed my office has a weird fear of Satanists for some reason. It's the strangest thing. I only fear toilet snakes and commitment.

7/10

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
AD ASTRA

I enjoyed it, my Mrs didn't. I enjoyed the slightly morose and lethargically paced story. I actually thought it resembled Apocolypse Now. Great special effects and set pieces, Pitt was pretty good and brilliant soundtrack.

Could have been amazing but I reckon whatever it was trying to do, it just missed it's mark by a fraction.

7/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Level 16
In a highly regimented boarding school, a pair of students discover that things are not as they seem. Pretty decent low budget film. Does nothing new but I wasn’t expecting it to 5.5/10

The Kid Who Would Be King

A band of kids embark on an epic quest to thwart a medieval menace. Another iteration of the age-old story of Excalibur. Not awful for a children’s movie but was expecting this to be a little more fresh considering it’s by the guy who did Attack The Block 4/10

Color Out Of Space

A secluded farm is struck by a strange meteorite which has apocalyptic consequences for the family living there and possibly the world. Based off of a H.P. Lovecraft short story, this was absolutely bat-shit bonkers and add Nic Cage losing his shit all over the place and you’ve got my ideal Sunday night in. Very disturbing in places and very confusing in other places. I enjoyed it but don’t think it’s for everyone 7/10

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Movie wankers...I'm wanting to find a film that I saw a long time ago. It's Chinese and the story is about a celebrated chef who has a couple of young women daughters and is dealing with his relationship with them. One of them can't cook and he makes all kinds of fantastic elaborate dishes but they eventually all bond over simple things.

I saw it in 1999 on SBS in Oz, So assume it's mid-90's.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Movie wankers...I'm wanting to find a film that I saw a long time ago. It's Chinese and the story is about a celebrated chef who has a couple of young women daughters and is dealing with his relationship with them. One of them can't cook and he makes all kinds of fantastic elaborate dishes but they eventually all bond over simple things.

Would it be Eat Drink Man Woman?

Tarrou

Eat Drink Man Woman by Ang Lee

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Does anybody here know what this film is called?

It was a Chinese film about an older bloke who was a skilled chef working for the party, I think. Her had two daughters, one of whom couldn't cook and always felt like she disappointed him. It ended up with her leaving her corporate or possibly high-level party job and finally becoming a cook.

saw it on SBS back in 1999 and remember enjoying it.

I knew that sounded familiar.

Eleven-Eighteen

Probably mentioned already but 1917 was pretty amazing. Thought the script could have been tighter through the middle, but overall excellent to watch

8.5/10

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Masters of the Universe

Decided to give it another go since I was bored and it has one of my favourite cameo wank-fantasy women in it, the lovely Chelsea Field. Cannon film of it's ilk with B-list stars, dodgy effects, terrible music and cheesy dialogue. Courtney Cox in an early role sports the worst denim jacket I've ever seen but you at least get to see Dolph's impressive tits throughout. Not sure why Man-at-Arms is such a crusty old fecker and some mysterious goblin thing has a prominent role. Upside is that Skeletor is pretty fecking badass and the monsters are hilariously camp. He-Man doesn't really do much TBH but there's plenty of action and it's an enjoyable ride overall. I'd follow it with Lifeforce for a great evening of 80's video nostalgia. 6/10

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
DEADMAN

Not watched this for years. Jim Jarmousch - great cast. Johnny Depp, Robert Mitchum, John Hurt, Iggy Pop, Billy Bob Thornton and Gabriel Byrne and more in a really slow and different take on a western film. Wicked soundtrack from Neil Young too.

Subjective as my Mrs hated it but ... 9/10

Suv666

Uncut Gems (9/10)

Fecking amazing. One of the best movies of the year for sure. Sandler gave a career best performance, deserves all the praise its getting and more.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Gentlemen Great fun and the best Guy Ritchie film since Snatch. Many strong performances and in particular Hugh Grant is fantastic. Do yourself a favor and go and watch this. 8.5/10

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Jay and Silent Bob reboot was fecking terrible. Jason Mewes was the only slightly more entertaining thing in the flick. Well, Fred Armisen too, but he is good every where.

Smith's daughter was especially annoying.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Richard Jewel Good actors but so very very slow. Doubly so as surely everyone knew the ending? 5/10

GBBQ

Uncut Gems (9/10)

Its tough to find a film that both myself and my wife will sit through without one of us invariably losing interest and starting to browse on our phones. This was properly gripping, the last 45 mins was just excruciatingly tense in a 'what the feck are you doing that for?' kind of way. had me feeling uneasy and on edge from the very first scene.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Uncut Gems (9/10)

Its tough to find a film that both myself and my wife will sit through without one of us invariably losing interest and starting to browse on our phones. This was properly gripping, the last 45 mins was just excruciatingly tense in a 'what the feck are you doing that for?' kind of way. had me feeling uneasy and on edge from the very first scene.
:lol:

I knew that guy was gonna kill him but my missus was totally shocked. He was absolutely seething and I thought you don't lock guys like that in a box and expect not to get fecked up after, even if you win

It was proper meltdown stuff.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Book Of Life
Manolo, a young man who is torn between fulfilling the expectations of his family and following his heart, embarks on an adventure that spans three fantastic worlds where he must face his greatest fears. Felt like this was probably the first draft of Coco. Not awful but far inferior to that movie 5/10

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Uncut Gems is stomach churningly good.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Uncut Gems

Incredible film and finishes off one of the greatest unofficial movie trilogies of all time.
Trilogy?

And I couldn't get through it. I stopped watching after 40 minutes as every single character was both irritating and unlikable.

AaronRedDevil

Lighthouse 2/10. 2 points for William and Robert who did a good job acting. But Feck this boring ass movie. Complete waste of time. Absolutely boring and I kept looking at my watch every minute. Hate this movie. Do NOT see it.

MadMike

Bad Boys For Life

You know what you’re getting with this one. I was sceptical it would feel stale and dated but and thankfully it was a lot better than I expected. The plot is a bit ridiculous but the chemistry and humour is still there and it’s a very enjoyable couple of hours. If you enjoyed the previous Bad Boys films, you should definitely give this a watch.

7.5/10

Jojo Rabbit

The story of a brainswashed 10yo Hitler youth that finds out his mum is hiding a Jew in the house. The performances are great and the script is excellent. The film goes from hilarious, to dark, to moving. There have been so many good movies these last 12 months and this is up there with the best of them.

8.5/10

Just Mercy

Real life story of a Harvard educated lawyer who gives up on the possibility of an amazing career to move to Alabama and defend black death row inmates put up there on weak charges. Very emotional watching, also infuriating at times. Very good performances from all actors as well.

8.5/10

Last edited:

Sweet Square

I sort of bundle in Only Heaven Knows What, Good Time and Uncut Gems as an unofficial trilogy(All very similar films and set in New York). Also while the Safdie brother have earlier films, Only Heaven Knows What was really the point where they found their ''style''.

And I couldn't get through it. I stopped watching after 40 minutes as every single character was both irritating and unlikable.
Fair enough, I would say its worth pushing through because the last 30 minutes is really something special but I get that it's very possible to watch Uncut Gems and leave with a headache. Thier films are always quite hard to recommend to other people because irritating and unlikable characters is sort of their shtick, although I thought Sandler character had a bit of charm, whenever he got close to fecking it all up I was always hoping he would pull through. He's certainly not the biggest shit bag in a Safdie brothers film.

It might have been Mark Kermode who mentioned the Safdie brother films are very similar to Abel Ferrara. Pretty sure Kermode compared Uncut Gems to Bad Lieutenant, which is a pretty fair comparison.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Last Witch Hunter
The last witch hunter is all that stands between humanity and the combined forces of the most horrifying witches in history. Vin Diesel should just stick to F&F and Riddick films. He's dog-shit in everything else. Ygritte was fit though so extra points for that 2/10

Suv666

Captain Marvel (2019)
Shower of shite, please avoid. Your generic run of the mill superhero movie, everything we've seen before a million times.
(3/10)

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Knives Out was great fun. Loved it.

There was a trailer before it for a coming film about an old artist. Mick Jagger and Donald Sutherland starring. I've decided I'm in love with the woman it it but don't know her name.