Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Come To Daddy
A man in his thirties travels to a remote cabin to reconnect with his estranged father. Very tense and interesting first half and has b-movie levels of violence second half. This feels quite similar to The Lighthouse but for a more mainstream horror audience. The twists are telegraphed and the point of the film isn't as strong as The Lighthouse but it's still a decent watch 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Sonata
A gifted musician inherits a mansion after her long lost father dies under mysterious circumstances. She discovers his last musical masterpiece riddled with cryptic symbols that unravels an evil secret. Really well shot and quite tense. Also liked the premise. The lead actress was super hot. But the film massively drags and not too scary. When the CGI ghost finally appears, it looks daft 4/10

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
On right now ... Logan (in break).

Underrated film, especially compared to the usual shite of superhero Marvel films.

Logan is the antihero.. old, miserable, vulnerable, stroppy.

But there's still something in there, that shred of doing the right thing.

Dark, brutal and shedloads of violence and blood. Plus a great ending that I never saw coming.... with possibly the greatest cover version ever.

Hugh Jackman v good, Dafne Keen excellent.

8/10

Sweet Square

I went to see Wild Goose Lake at the IFFR. It was pretty fun, it certainly showed China’s dirty, scary and violent underbelly really well. Not a classic or anything, though.
Yeah it was a nice way to kill a bit of time, it held my interest and it's nice to see different parts of China but sadly it wasn't a classic.

Although getting shot in the back and dying in a river(While wearing a Messi shirt)after being betrayed by a boat prostitute is a pretty cool way to go out.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Hunt
Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt. The movie really doesn't live up to the promise of the premise. However, there is enough violence and enough unpredictability to enjoy this for what it is. In the end though, it felt like quite a pointless movie 5.5/10

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The Hunt
Twelve strangers wake up in a clearing. They don't know where they are, or how they got there. They don't know they've been chosen - for a very specific purpose - The Hunt. The movie really doesn't live up to the promise of the premise. However, there is enough violence and enough unpredictability to enjoy this for what it is. In the end though, it felt like quite a pointless movie 5.5/10

Hard Target is all you need for people hunting people films.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Hunt
I thought all the cinemas were closed?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I thought all the cinemas were closed?
It's coming out at PVOD via Sky (i.e. you can pay a fee of £10-15, can't remember the exact price) and watch The Hunt, Emma, Trolls, Military Wives or Invisible Man from your home.

More importantly, for me that means I have free access to these films!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It's coming out at PVOD via Sky (i.e. you can pay a fee of £10-15, can't remember the exact price) and watch The Hunt, Emma, Trolls, Military Wives or Invisible Man from your home.

More importantly, for me that means I have free access to these films!
Ah, I didn't know there was such a thing.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It's also all you need for people punching snakes films.

Amazon Prime are doing that cinema rental thing too. £16 to rent one film. feck away off.

I just hate John Woo doing the dove thing though. I'd love to stick a dove up his fecking arsehole.....in slow motion natch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Bad Boys For Life
The first Will Smith film I have enjoyed since Pursuit of Happiness. And that has been a long time. This gave me everything I expected. Some laughs, great action and a ridiculous plot 7.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I had read no reviews , no spoilers.
It was not the best of films to end a franchise that has spanned 40+ years, there was holes, there was some bad acting, Lando was dreadful, they tried to cram far to much in for the last and some of it just did not work.
But saying all this , I did quite enjoy it, liked seeing some of the old cast.
Out of the Trilogy of Trilogies, nothing will beat the originals, the second was just poor, but the 3rd one had its high points, just wish they had ended on a better finale.

6/10

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
The Invisible Man (2020)
Pretty darn good.

Movies these days tend to over-egg it on the camera work. The director here kept everything really simple. The framing and out-of-focus shots made the whole thing feel really creepy and unsettling.

I can see why it's been compared to Hitchcock. Every shot forces you to analyse every pixel, and then doubt yourself when you think you've missed something. The film manages to gaslight the audience almost as much as it does the protagonist.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Guns Akimbo

Basically a more violent, bloody version of Ready Player One. Very entertaining. Radcliffe was pretty good in this. Samara Weaving (Nix) would have been the perfect choice for Harley Quinn, based on this performance.

Pscholes18

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I had read no reviews , no spoilers.
It was not the best of films to end a franchise that has spanned 40+ years, there was holes, there was some bad acting, Lando was dreadful, they tried to cram far to much in for the last and some of it just did not work.
But saying all this , I did quite enjoy it, liked seeing some of the old cast.
Out of the Trilogy of Trilogies, nothing will beat the originals, the second was just poor, but the 3rd one had its high points, just wish they had ended on a better finale.

6/10
6 is being generous.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Platform
A vertical prison, two inmates per floor. A platform comes down from the top to the bottom once a day filled with food. The higher you are placed, the more chance you have of eating with barely anything left on the platform for the bottom floors. Not so subtle allegory, the movie was decent and very accurate of modern society, as we have seen through this pandemic 6.5/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Wall Street (1987)

Man, I just love these 80s/90s flicks. A few good quotes too. Michael Douglas was fun.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Michael Douglas was especially fun in that time: Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Wall Street, Falling Down, The Game.
Yeah also Disclosure, War of the Roses (which was really great) and the Romancing the Stone films. He was certainly getting a lot of the juicy roles at that time along with Kurt Russell though not so much.

Art Vandelay

I just hate John Woo doing the dove thing though. I'd love to stick a dove up his fecking arsehole.....in slow motion natch.
Naturally. Which reminds me, I need to rewatch Hard Boiled again. The doves are almost as annoying as Tarantino and feet.

I tried watching The Villainess the other night, but the camera work was too distracting. It felt too gimmicky and took me out of the film.

Drawfull

On right now ... Logan (in break).

Underrated film, especially compared to the usual shite of superhero Marvel films.

Logan is the antihero.. old, miserable, vulnerable, stroppy.

But there's still something in there, that shred of doing the right thing.

Dark, brutal and shedloads of violence and blood. Plus a great ending that I never saw coming.... with possibly the greatest cover version ever.

Hugh Jackman v good, Dafne Keen excellent.

8/10
Thanks for this, just watched it - I normally steer away from superhero stuff (oversaturation for me), but this was great. A good 8/10

Drawfull

Gemini Man

Where to watch - iTunes, Blu Ray, 4k Blu Ray

Where I watched - iTunes 4k

Enjoyed this. Soundtrack is good - especially Atmos version, frame rate might annoy some folk. The storyline was OK, no massive holes and a couple of well disguised plot points, action sequences good and if you like Will Smith, you'll probably like this. 7/10

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Knives out was good. Better than last year's Poirot, that one with the train, what's the tittle? 7.5/10

Jojo Rabbit
- people liked this, seriously? Turned it off after about 45 minutes.

Uncut gems - Decent watch, that was something different, but nothing special. 6/10 Some questions:

Do people usually carry two keys of their car in their pockets? His wife carrying a reserve key to some random school play was seriously stupid.

Where the feck did Kevin Garnett go once those criminals arrived? He just disappeared once they went to other room. Also the second worker from the shop just disappeared? And yeah, like those criminals would spend more than 4-5 hours closed in that glass doors. So many stupid mistakes.

AaronRedDevil

Knives out was good. Better than last year's Poirot, that one with the train, what's the tittle? 7.5/10

Jojo Rabbit

Uncut gems - Decent watch, that was something different, but nothing special. 6/10 Some questions:

Do people usually carry two keys of their car in their pockets? His wife carrying a reserve key to some random school play was seriously stupid.

Where the feck did Kevin Garnett go once those criminals arrived? He just disappeared once they went to other room. Also the second worker from the shop just disappeared? And yeah, like those criminals would spend more than 4-5 hours closed in that glass doors. So many stupid mistakes.
Ahh man you probably didn't get to the best part. Jojo rabbit is a brilliant movie. Lot of heart warming moments and the kid is fecking brilliant along with the girl.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Jojo Rabbit

Murder on the Orient Express.

Crap film, original was ok.

Sweet Square

Some questions:

It's been over a month since I've watched it but I think this is correct

1. His wife carries a separate pair of car keys because they both hate each other and are rarely in the car together, plus Howard has a history of this sort of thing. One of the reasons why she hates him so much.

2.Garnett left to go and play in the basketball game, Howard had betted on.

3. They waited because Howard had betted the money he owned them on an almost impossible basketball bet which if it came through would bring in a over a million dollars(I'd stay for a couple of hours to find out if I'm about to win a ton of money).And one of the waited so he could kill Howard and rob the store. Also one of criminals did leave to try and catch Julia and the bag full of money

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
It's been over a month since I've watched it but I think this is correct

1. His wife carries a separate pair of car keys because they both hate each other and are rarely in the car together, plus Howard has a history of this sort of thing. One of the reasons why she hates him so much.

2.Garnett left to go and play in the basketball game, Howard had betted on.

3. They waited because Howard had betted the money he owned them on an almost impossible basketball bet which if it came through would bring in a over a million dollars(I'd stay for a couple of hours to find out if I'm about to win a ton of money).And one of the waited so he could kill Howard and rob the store. Also one of criminals did leave to try and catch Julia and the bag full of money
1. Still bit stupid considering it was school play, but okay.

2. Kevin Garnett was in the other room with him once those criminals arrived, and then he gave the money to the girl through the window, and I swear Garnett just disappeared, all while criminals were in the shop. I will look those 10-15 minutes again, I was bit sleepy but I am 99% it was like that.

Art Vandelay

Thor Ragnorak

Think this is the first time I've seen it since the cinema release. Rewatched it in glorious 4K HDR on Disney +. One of the better Marvel films and manages to balance the comedy and action very nicely. Although Valkyrie is awful and just distracting. She keeps doing a stupid head movement like she's oh so sassy and it just looks like there's something wrong with her neck. Jeff Goldblum is great and Korg needs his own cinematic universe.

8/10

mu4c_20le

The Invisible Man - Woman tries to convince the world she isn't crazy by acting crazy. That's the first half of the movie, second half was better when the action picks up a bit, and the cinematography for the fight scenes was decent. Not as good as Hollow Man, and a runtime of two hours makes it at least a half hour too long. 6/10

Sweet Square

1. Still bit stupid considering it was school play, but okay.

2. Kevin Garnett was in the other room with him once those criminals arrived, and then he gave the money to the girl through the window, and I swear Garnett just disappeared, all while criminals were in the shop. I will look those 10-15 minutes again, I was bit sleepy but I am 99% it was like that.
1. Agree. I''m guessing the got all they way to him being stuck in the car and then thought shit! We need a way to get him out.

2.like yourself I would have to give it a re watch.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Contagion only missed toilet paper scenario, everything else was pretty much spot on, even the start of the virus by the looks of it. In this situation 7/10, otherwise it's solid 6/10(not better), but gotta say I was surprised few times, you would think it's filmed 7 days ago.

Had the potential to be the best movie ever considering the story, shame about shite acting at times and documentarishy feeling throughout.

pauldyson1uk

Contagion only missed toilet paper scenario, everything else was pretty much spot on, even the start of the virus by the looks of it. In this situation 7/10, otherwise it's solid 6/10(not better), but gotta say I was surprised few times, you would think it's filmed 7 days ago.

Had the potential to be the best movie ever considering the story, shame about shite acting at times and documentarishy feeling throughout.
I watched it again the other day , agree it could have been way better some of the acting was utter shit, but the way they found out how it all started was worthey of Sherlock Holmes, liked the way it concentrated more on how society broke down, rubbish not collected, shortage of food, rather than just the search for a cure.
Despite the short fallings, thought it was worth a solid 7/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Watched The Irishman over the weekend on a recommendation.

Not sure if just me but didn't rate it.

Too long with not enough happening and I thought the desire to use De Niro, Pacino and Pesci ("Look! We got the guys from the Godfather and Goodfellas films. Come see") outweighed the option of casting other actors who looked the part.

Watching De Niro hobble about as 'The oldest hitman in town' was weird. Didn't get any sense of danger/fear apart from the fact he had a gun.

Pesci looked like a decent wind would blow him over. They almost didn't need to bother aging him later in the film... he looked at death's door anyway.

Liked Pacino as Hoffa.... no idea if he got Hoffa's personality right but did come across as a powerful man who refused to bow down even in the face of huge threats.

4/10
I liked it more than you but it wasn't peak Scorcese or De Niro or Pacino.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The effects haven't aged well and the film is still ridiculous bit I had fun with it. Love John Cusack 5.5/10
Films like that and The Day After Tomorrow etc need their own scale. They are utter rubbish but also a fun guilty pleasure.