Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hulk, Iron Man 2 and 3, Thor the dark world.
I think the Iron Mans are all nice pulp. You've seen it all if you've seen the first one.

I don't think you missed anything in that Thor one either. The Thor series is anyway weird. The first one is kinda boring, not very spectacular at all. A lot like the first Captain America, if you ask me (which I also found quite boring). The third one is a hilarious space opera, and actually has most in common with the Guardians of the Galaxy ones (except that Ragnarok is much better, IMO). And the second is some kind of depressing SF blockbuster, a bit like The Winter Soldier (which also wasn't really my thing).

The Hulk one has little to do with the MCU. Does its plot even connect? And they also changed the actor afterwards: it's Edward Norton in this one, who is of course absolutely nothing like Mark Ruffalo.

el3mel

I think the Iron Mans are all nice pulp. You've seen it all if you've seen the first one.

I don't think you missed anything in that Thor one either. The Thor series is anyway weird. The first one is kinda boring, not very spectacular at all. A lot like the first Captain America, if you ask me (which I also found quite boring). The third one is a hilarious space opera, and actually has most in common with the Guardians of the Galaxy ones (except that Ragnarok is much better, IMO). And the second is some kind of depressing SF blockbuster, a bit like The Winter Soldier (which also wasn't really my thing).

The Hulk one has little to do with the MCU. Does its plot even connect? And they also changed the actor afterwards: it's Edward Norton in this one, who is of course absolutely nothing like Mark Ruffalo.
Totally agree on Thor and Captain America first movies. Though I thought my opinion on first Captain America movie is unpopular as I have seen many like it, but I really only started to like Cap thanks to Winter Soldier. If I had only watched First Avenger and nothing else, my opinion on him would have been really bad.

As for Hulk, these are actually the reasons I decided to skip him.

I don’t think Hulk counts.

Watch Iron Man 2 for sure. Very good.
People seem to shite all over Iron Man 2 on internet and consider it and The Dark World to be the worst MCU movies. :D though some suggested Iron Man 3 for me.

you didn't miss anything, all are pretty weak or terrible
:D

Last edited:

Drawfull

I watched the Judge on prime with Downey Jr recently which is a good court room drama. 8/10.

I inevitably enjoyed the Chicago 7 as I love Sorkin but I don’t feel they quite nailed it. I can’t put my finger on it but there were a few times where the absurdity of what was happening completely took you out of the film. After reading up on it amazingly the real thing was even more absurd but I still don’t think they quite sold it. When it’s good it is very good though and the cast were brilliant so 7.5/10.
Thanks for this as it wasn't a film I was familiar with and RDj has grown on me since Iron Man. Just picked it up off iTunes.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's a good thing this isn't called the 'cinema thread' btw.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Thanks for this as it wasn't a film I was familiar with and RDj has grown on me since Iron Man. Just picked it up off iTunes.
Other courtroom dramas:

Extremely Wicked, shockingly evil and vile - based on Ted Bundy starring Zac Efron. Not great.

Fracture - starring Ryan Gosling and Anthony Hopkins, really enjoyed it.

Just Mercy - Starring Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Fox. Haven't seen it yet.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Other courtroom dramas:

Extremely Wicked, shockingly evil and vile - based on Ted Bundy starring Zac Efron. Not great.

I liked that one! Not brilliant, but good, and always love to see Hopkins and Gosling (who seems very young here).

pauldyson1uk

Come Play

A monster named Larry manifests itself through smart phones and mobile devices. Feature film version of the 2017 short film.
It was OK , the bones were there for a really good scary film, for me it just fell short, but on saying that, I enjpy it and I liked the ending, worth a watch.

6/10

Drawfull

Other courtroom dramas:

The first is the only one I haven't seen. I really liked the other two, with Just Mercy edging it.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
On The Rocks

I was looking forward to it... but I was just not into this at all. Felt very flat, boring. I feel Coppola is best when there's no plot.

Murray was funny in it I suppose. It wasn't a bad film, just forgettable.

6/10

el3mel

Spiderman : Into the spider verse.

Fantastic experience. Lived up to the hype I was reading about it everywhere. Honestly even think this is better than MCU's Spiderman movies.

9/10.

pauldyson1uk

Men in Black International.

I was not expecting much from this, No W Smith , No Tommy Lee, but I enjoyed it for what it was , a comedy Sci-Fi film
Hemsworth and Thompson were OK,
Second film in 2 night with Rebecca Ferguson in, must admit I could watch her all night.
I thought it was worth watching.

6/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The Orphanage: Decided to watch this Spanish horror movie on Halloween night for some fun. Really enjoyed it - in some ways it's your typical spooky ghost story in a creepy old house but it deals with loss and grief really well also and it packs a serious emotional punch at the end. Plenty of atmosphere and a few good scares in it also. Overall I'd give it 8/10
One of my favourite horror films when it first came out, remember seeing it at a late showing and being creeped out at some of the scenes. I went to see the house it was filmed in during my roadtrip in the Northwest of Spain this summer, which wasn't as creepy as I though it would be :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Along came the Devil

After a troubled childhood, Ashley searches for a connection, and unknowingly invites in a demonic force, which leaves her loved ones fighting for her soul.
Devil/ Possession film are my favourite, but they are nearly always dreadful, cant remember then last really decent one I watched, this is no exception, even the scary bit were not scary.
Felt like it was building to something but just ended. Just another exorcism film, but this one had the potential to be one of the good ones. Story, acting, effects were all great but the lack of a decent ending made it a frustrating disappointment.

3/10

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Fantastic experience. Lived up to the hype I was reading about it everywhere. Honestly even think this is better than MCU's Spiderman movies.

9/10.
The best comic book movie

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Relic

Superb Aussie horror that crafts beautifully horrible atmospheres from simple, nasty ideas. It's not trying to reinvent the wheel, with the pacing of the scenes owing something to the Lynchian oneiric. It's short on the flashy gimmicks and cleverness common in modern indie horror, and free from the cheap jumps that wrecked the genre. Instead it employs more traditional horror techniques, with a focus on moody atmospheres and creepy montages.

It explores a genuine story of strained familial relationships, rather than simply using this as a theme dump from which you can hang cheap scares on.

It's a horror film that has an accomplished understanding of horror cinema and a folktale that employs folklore with sophistication.

Great cast, great direction.

The Babadook and Hereditary would perhaps be the obvious, superficial comparisons but Relic is a smarter, more organic work that bears greater similarities to things like The Changeling, Robert Wise's The Haunting and perhaps the Shining.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Thunder And The House Of Magic
A stray cat and a group of ragtag inventions must save their owners house from his nephew who wants to sell it for profit. Decent little family movie. No big actors or anything but loveable characters and fun 90 minutes spent 5.5/10

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I see Fincher's new film getting glowing reviews. I'm not a die-hard fan by any means but his best stuff is genuinely excellent, so I'm intrigued.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is that Mank? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mank) I see it's coming to Netflix - looking forward to it! I have not seen Alien 3 (his first film apparently), but everything else has been somewhere between good and excellent to me. :)

Castia

9/10.
Even though it’s relatively new I already go back to it. Watched it about 5 times so far it’s brilliant. The animation is just too good.

Suv666

Watched Incendies. Brilliant movie all round. Not a big fan of the ending. Seemed a bit far fetched and kind of saw it coming. Still a solid 8/10 for me.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Wretched
A defiant teenage boy, struggling with his parents' imminent divorce, faces off with a thousand year-old witch, who is living beneath the skin of and posing as the woman next door. It started off really nice and creepy and had a nice Amblin-esque feeling to the setup. Then just fell into horror tropes and cliches. Was pretty bored by the end. Still, enjoyed this more thatn I thought... but maybe that's due to it being the first horror I've seen in a while (my wife's pregnant so doesn't want to watch horrors until giving birth!) 5.5/10

Bad Santa

Always love watching this, so funny. Billy Bob Thornton is great as is the fat kid 7/10

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Doomsday
Dogshit. Almost close to being so cheesily naughties that it was enjoyable, but it wasn’t.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I just had the misfortune of watching Snowpiercer.
And I just need to tell people on the internet that it was shit.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Re-watched Bourne Identity. The perfect action movie, 9/10. The stunts - fighting and driving- were extremely well done. The plot is thin but is a massive improvement on the unreadable book, and the bad guys look and talk in a hateful way.
Tried to watch the sequel again and got a headache from the shaky cam. Does being almost 30 mean shaky cam is a youthful indulgence I can't tolerate?

Switched to Pelham 123 (the original). Was probably a decent film but after Bourne I wasn't that entertained. 6/10.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
Hold the Dark ?/10

Not even sure what that was. I watched mainly because of Alexander Skarsgård. Most of his movies are decent but this is a whole other story. I may have to re-watch just to make some sense of it.