Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Hole
Two brothers find a hole in their new home that is a gateway to their worst fears. Decent family horror that has a few good scares and an ok story but the climax is just a little too silly and over the top. I've seen worse for sure 6/10

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
No worries. I suppose the fact that you've wat through two seasons of it means that you rate it.
No, it’s because my missus works a really stressful job and has no interest in watching anything “heavy” or “deep” (or good) in the evenings. So I end up sitting through all these crap series with her - Grey’s Anatomy, Hart of Dixie, Virgin River, etc. All the actors, characters and plots are basically the same. Gossip Girl broke me though, I can’t even be critical of anything anymore after going through that.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No, it’s because my missus works a really stressful job and has no interest in watching anything “heavy” or “deep” (or good) in the evenings. So I end up sitting through all these crap series with her - Grey’s Anatomy, Hart of Dixie, Virgin River, etc. All the actors, characters and plots are basically the same. Gossip Girl broke me though, I can’t even be critical of anything anymore after going through that.
Ah! :Lol:

My wife's taste is actually more grim than mine. We do t watch tv together as often anymore, but I still don't spend that time gained on reading. (Sigh.)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I loved Soul.
The first 25ish mins were a bit strange, it didn’t feel like a Pixar film but then they really got into the crux of the film & after that it was excellent. Loved it & the message behind the film.

I watched Coco recently, which I thought was a great movie from Pixar too.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The Midnight Sky (2020)

Available on Netflix, but seriously do not bother. You would have thought that Clooney would have learned from his previous foray into space stinkery,...yes I'm talking about you Solaris as to what makes a decent sci-fi epic. Ok so he might have been redeemed somewhat with Gravity (though not his movie to be fair) but here he seems determined to outdo the mindnumbing Ad Astra with another meandering, plothole riddled debacle. So the movie looks great in places with some impressive vistas but seriously what was the point. Is it a disaster movie, is it a journey of discovery? Who knows. With minimal dialogue and no commentary, I'm not sure what story Clooney is trying to tell here. All we know is that it is set some 30 years into the future after some apocalyptic event has affected the earth. The film does not make any attempt to answer any of the many questions that one would expect though the story slowly begins to unravel in the final 15 minutes.

Although Clooney puts in a decent performance himself, the pacing is all wrong and as for the ending, well you're completely none the wiser when the credits begin to roll. It's just a pointless, vacuous piece of uninspired storytelling. In it's defence though, out of this, Ad Astra and Solaris, I could probably sit though this again for the longest period of time. I believe that some people actually enjoyed Solaris and Ad Astra so they may derive some enjoyment from this too. More power to them, I say.

I'm giving this a 4/10.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
The Midnight Sky (2020)

Available on Netflix, but seriously do not bother. You would have thought that Clooney would have learned from his previous foray into space stinkery,...yes I'm talking about you Solaris as to what makes a decent sci-fi epic. Ok so he might have been redeemed somewhat with Gravity (though not his movie to be fair) but here he seems determined to outdo the mindnumbing Ad Astra with another meandering, plothole riddled debacle. So the movie looks great in places with some impressive vistas but seriously what was the point. Is it a disaster movie, is it a journey of discovery? Who knows. With minimal dialogue and no commentary, I'm not sure what story Clooney is trying to tell here. All we know is that it is set some 30 years into the future after some apocalyptic event has affected the earth. The film does not make any attempt to answer any of the many questions that one would expect though the story slowly begins to unravel in the final 15 minutes.

Although Clooney puts in a decent performance himself, the pacing is all wrong and as for the ending, well you're completely none the wiser when the credits begin to roll. It's just a pointless, vacuous piece of uninspired storytelling. In it's defence though, out of this, Ad Astra and Solaris, I could probably sit though this again for the longest period of time. I believe that some people actually enjoyed Solaris and Ad Astra so they may derive some enjoyment from this too. More power to them, I say.

I'm giving this a 4/10.

Just watched this and the best part was the Sweet Caroline singalong.

Crap and I usually like George Clooney.

Spoony

The People's President
The first 25ish mins were a bit strange, it didn’t feel like a Pixar film but then they really got into the crux of the film & after that it was excellent. Loved it & the message behind the film.

I watched Coco recently, which I thought was a great movie from Pixar too.

Yeah just a fantastic existential film. One that adults will love more than children. Probably a top three Pixar movie. And yeah Coco was great too...but I loved this more.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah just a fantastic existential film. One that adults will love more than children. Probably a top three Pixar movie. And yeah Coco was great too...but I loved this more.
Really looking forward to this one.

Anyone saw Onward? Is it any good? I have to find a (legal) way to watch these. I don't care to get Disney+, but I want to see Toy Story 4, Onward, and Soul. Maybe sell my soul and get Disney+ for a month just for these...

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Anyone saw Onward? Is it any good? I have to find a (legal) way to watch these. I don't care to get Disney+, but I want to see Toy Story 4, Onward, and Soul. Maybe sell my soul and get Disney+ for a month just for these...
I thought it was a solid film & fun watch, but I also don't think it was anything special. Comparatively, Soul is one of the best films they've put out (imo).

Jericholyte2

I saw Onward at the cinema just before the first lockdown and absolutely loved it. As a guy who’d lost his dad recently prior to that, it was probably not the wisest of choices as I was in bits several times. But, similar to Soul, it takes a left turn from what you think it’s trying to say, to reveal its much deeper actual meaning.

Likewise...

Soul:
Absolutely loved it! Going beyond the technical stuff, we all know the animation and design is going to be gorgeous. Like above the film makes you think it’s headed in a particular direction then takes a left about 1/2 way to show you what moral it’s really trying to tell you and I just loved it. I would put it in the category with Up, Inside Out and Coco!

Although...I did think it should have had one more scene an epilogue similar to Up where
when Carl accepts the house is gone, begins the life with Russell and Dug and then it shows the house landed at the same spot as the picture

it cuts to black then jumps ahead 13yrs later. Camera goes across the office of Joe with all his teacher awards, having realised his spark is inspiring others. When a new kid knocks on the door. Joe turns and is about to ask the kids name when he see embroiled on her clothing “No.22”. He smiles, asks how he can help, then cuts to credits.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thanks guys! My brother also liked it, but he'll love anything Pixar will ever produced, so that's not much help. ;)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched Operation Christmas Drop tonight. Gotta get a chunk of cheesy Christmas films in over the holidays! This one was OK. Different from the usual fare in that it's not really a romantic comedy, but rather a feel-good film about this annual Christmas drop (a real event) with some vague romantic development to add some story. In that sense, it's not really a good film, but it keeps going well enough and you get your feel-good shot.

Sylar

Watched Operation Christmas Drop tonight. Gotta get a chunk of cheesy Christmas films in over the holidays! This one was OK. Different from the usual fare in that it's not really a romantic comedy, but rather a feel-good film about this annual Christmas drop (a real event) with some vague romantic development to add some story. In that sense, it's not really a good film, but it keeps going well enough and you get your feel-good shot.
I found it entertaining enough for a movie and it had a little charm to it. The dude from Vikings was good for a movie like this

Spoony

The People's President

Onward is good, obviously not a top tier Pixar but watchable nonetheless.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Watching Wonder Woman 1984 recently has given me a hankering for the DC slate again....apart from all the Batman shit of course.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The Midnight Sky (2020)

I'm giving this a 4/10.
Have a word, Solaris is fecking awesome. Lush Cliff Martinez score, multiple Natascha McElhones and Jeremy Davies being Jeremy Davies. What more could one want?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I found it entertaining enough for a movie and it had a little charm to it. The dude from Vikings was good for a movie like this
Yep, it did its thing as a Christmas movie, but I've definitely seen better stuff in the genre.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Have a word, Solaris is fecking awesome. Lush Cliff Martinez score, multiple Natascha McElhones and Jeremy Davies being Jeremy Davies. What more could one want?
So you enjoyed it, I'm pleased for you. McElhone is the only reason I would ever watch that steaming pile again. But then again, I always have The Truman Show....so nah!

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
So you enjoyed it, I'm pleased for you. McElhone is the only reason I would ever watch that steaming pile again. But then again, I always have The Truman Show....so nah!
Myself, my friend and the other 4 people in the theatre had a whale of a time and I believe we contributed to 50% of the total box office takings.

In other news, I would like to elope to Fiji with McElhone.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Myself, my friend and the other 4 people in the theatre had a whale of a time and I believe we contributed to 50% of the total box office takings.

In other news, I would like to elope to Fiji with McElhone.
She is most worthy of elopement, on that we can agree.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Finally got round to watching The Peanut Butter Falcon

Absolutely love buddy movies. Absolutely love road movies and absolutely love being made to cry in films. All three boxes ticked.

Shia Lebeouf absolutely nailed this film, what a great performance.

9/10

Volumiza

The Midnight Sky (2020)

I'm giving this a 4/10.
I liked it. With an extra hour and a bit more detail this could have been a masterpiece.

7/10

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination

Absolutely love buddy movies. Absolutely love road movies and absolutely love being made to cry in films. All three boxes ticked.

9/10
Ended up watching this tonight after reading your review. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Haven't watched a feel good film like that in ages. Thank you!

Volumiza

Haven't watched a feel good film like that in ages. Thank you!
Nor me. So many lovely moments in the film and none of them over played. Great soundtrack too. To be fair I think you knew what sort of film it was going to be after 20 mins but it didn’t matter as it was so well executed

Loads of friends and work colleagues had been recommending it for a while but just never got round to watching it, never quite felt in the mood for it but shouldn’t have waited so long.

I didn’t actually realise it was Shia Leboeuf for a good few minutes, how good was he?

Glad you enjoyed it.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

9/10
I watched it around three weeky ago and I even forgot I've seen it. Thought it was good, enjoyed it, but I guess it's pretty forgettable.

Volumiza

I watched it around three weeky ago and I even forgot I've seen it. Thought it was good, enjoyed it, but I guess it's pretty forgettable.
Definitely isn’t an all time great but a great little film nonetheless. Good to know films like this are around though.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Yeah, great film, not seen that for years. I liked Sonatine, Violent Cop and Brother too.
Brother was the first Kitano film I watched. Instantly became a fan. Did you watch Outrage trilogy? It is not as sophisticated or deep as Sonatine or Hana-Bi but pretty entertaining.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Watched Sonatine and Brother but was bored out my mind. I don't see the Kitano appeal unfortunately.