Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Could you be more specific? You want movies on corrupt cops or...?

Here's a couple:
  • Cop Land with Stallone
  • Prince of the City with Treat Williams
  • Pride and Glory with Colin Farrell
  • Brooklyn's Finest with Don Cheadle and Ethan Hawke
  • Internal Affairs with Richard Gere
In that vein, L.A. Confidential might also of interest.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)

Good movie, enjoyed it. Some nice nature at display too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Spiderman: Far From Home. It's OK - fairly entertaining superhero stuff. They want to do too many things in just over 2h (teenage romance, coming-of-age, superhero action, multilayered illusion), so nothing is really worked out properly; and some of the illusions stuff is just too far-fetched. But turn off that part of your brain, and it's an entertaining ride.

And anyway, always great to see Jake Gyllenhaal. (In the few bits where he actually gets to act a little.)

ChrisNelson

In The Heights

Well, what a terrible film. Although musicals are not my number one choice, I can appreciate a good one and this isn't it.

The acting is ok (Gregory Diaz steals the show as Sonny) but the story is unclear and disjointed.

The characters are barely introduced at all, even the lead so in the end I didn't really care what happened to any of them.

The songs are so random, most of them are just 2 people talking and then they start singing the words instead of saying them. Not one of the songs is even remotely memorable.

Worst film I've seen since Tenet, although it's probably not Tenet bad.

3/10

Supernova

This was a much better film with 2 outstanding performances (Firth & Tucci have probably 90% of the screen time).

The story follows a similar theme to The Father but is done differently (The Father takes place virtually entirely in a flat and involves a father & daughter whereas Supernova is a couple on the road).

It's a nice, quiet exploration of what it's like to be close to someone who is starting to become a shadow of their former self.

I'd be interested to know from anyone else who has seen it:

What you thought of the ending. It comes very suddenly and leaves plenty to be guessed about the fate of Tusker and if he followed through on his suicide plans. I assume it is done that way deliberately but either way it is a sad film because even if he doesn't, he will continue to fade away

7.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Late Night. A late night show is doing poorly and it's host (Emma Thompson) is about to be replaced. She is an unpleasant person at work who treats her staff poorly - but a new writer (Mindy Kaling) challenges the status quo and sexism in the office, and eventually turns things around.

That sounds pretty sappy, and that's true for the overall story arch; but otherwise it's actually a very sharp comedy, with lots of good jokes and a lot of incisive commentary on society. It's not amazing and doesn't really provide new perspectives, but well done and overall really quite good.

pauldyson1uk

Bats.

An alien virus that once wiped civilizations out in ancient times through out time has returned overnight by a mysterious thunderstorm infecting all the bats in the area causing them grow into grotesque giant carnivore man-eater monster bats and it's up to humankind to fight for their lives to survive or history will once again repeat it's self as it has thousands of years ago.
I knew the film was not going to be good, but FFS not as bad has it was, easy one of the worst films I have ever seen, right up there with Birdemec.

ZERO/10

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Bats.

An alien virus that once wiped civilizations out in ancient times through out time has returned overnight by a mysterious thunderstorm infecting all the bats in the area causing them grow into grotesque giant carnivore man-eater monster bats and it's up to humankind to fight for their lives to survive or history will once again repeat it's self as it has thousands of years ago.
I knew the film was not going to be good, but FFS not as bad has it was, easy one of the worst films I have ever seen, right up there with Birdemec.

ZERO/10
A zero from pauldy... Shit it must really be terrible

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Brittaney Runs A Marathon
A fatty gets sick of being in a rut and decides to change her life for the better by training for a marathon. The first half of this was quite funny and well done but the second half threw too many themes at the audience. Also was annoyed that they said this was based on a true story, but read later that the only truth to that was the writers flatmate lost weight by taking up running :lol: Overall it was ok 6/10

Fatherhood

Kevin Hart has to raise a child on his own after his wife dies during the birth. Equal parts funny and emotional. Didn't know Kevin Hart had a performance like this in him. I just thought it could have been 20 minutes shorter 7/10

Nine Dead

Sabrina the teenage witch and 8 other strangers must figure out why a masked man has captured them. Until they do, every 10 minutes, one of them is killed. I didn't mind the overall concept but this relies on the mystery, which you can guess very quickly. Some of the acting and dialogue are laughably bad 4/10

Harpoon

3 friends get stuck out at sea on a boat with no supplies or contact to the outside world, soon their dark pasts are revealed, causing massive friction between the three of them. I thought this was a nice surprise for a low budget film. Interesting narrative devices used from time to time and the tension was always rising. The final act was brutal. The three characters were all utter knobheads so was fun watching them suffer. The ending made me laugh 7/10

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The Tomorrow War

Chris Pratt’s big new Amazon production. First half was pretty solid. Some daft moments but a decent premise, sort of. Was enjoyable enough, but the second half was beyond atrocious. As though it was written by a 12 year old. Almost so bad it’s good territory, but in the end just bad, really, really bad.

3/10

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Nine Dead
Sabrina the teenage witch and 8 other strangers must figure out why a masked man has captured them. Until they do, every 10 minutes, one of them is killed. I didn't mind the overall concept but this relies on the mystery, which you can guess very quickly. Some of the acting and dialogue are laughably bad 4/10
Weirdly, I also watched this a few days ago. The acting really is awful. Had a movie marathon of these 'strangers locked in a room' movies. Unknown, and Exam were the best of the bunch. 9 Dead was the worst. Cube also deserves a mention, but I didn't watch that. Great film though.

The Tomorrow War

Decent start, but then goes downhill steadily. Bad plot, meh dialogues and shitty screenplay.

4/10
This makes me happy. I really don't think Pratt is a good leading man and wish he would stop getting cast as such. Clenching your jaw and side-eyeing the camera isn't acting, Chris.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Weirdly, I also watched this a few days ago. The acting really is awful. Had a movie marathon of these 'strangers locked in a room' movies. Unknown, and Exam were the best of the bunch. 9 Dead was the worst. Cube also deserves a mention, but I didn't watch that. Great film though.
9 Dead is the worst of those you mentioned. The others are brilliant.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Bill & Ted Face The Music

This was just a really fun, goofy film with its heart firmly positioned in the right place and, crucially, plenty of genuinely funny moments/lines.

It's cheesy and the original music is a bit cringe but it's Bill and Ted, so you know what you're in for.

Anybody who enjoyed the original movies will love this.

7/10

Rooney in Paris

Scout
The Tomorrow War

Decent start, but then goes downhill steadily. Bad plot, meh dialogues and shitty screenplay.

4/10
It was so weird. It's basically 2 films in 1, the first one being a decent action sci-fi, and the second one being bad bad. I don't know what happened, feels like the film was written by completely different people. The final scene, with the voice over and the cheesy music and J. K. Simmons getting out of the car, that's got to be some of the worst cinema I've seen in a while.
This makes me happy. I really don't think Pratt is a good leading man and wish he would stop getting cast as such. Clenching your jaw and side-eyeing the camera isn't acting, Chris.
I'd say Chris Pratt is the least of the film's issues, and I actually like him and think he's charismatic, but if you don't like him, this film would be painful for you.

Splatt from Veep was in it too, which was rather random.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
It was so weird. It's basically 2 films in 1, the first one being a decent action sci-fi, and the second one being bad bad. I don't know what happened, feels like the film was written by completely different people. The final scene, with the voice over and the cheesy music and J. K. Simmons getting out of the car, that's got to be some of the worst cinema I've seen in a while.
It's like the movie makers have never heard of time travel before....

Early on in the movie

Future solider: " We are from future. Humanity will be extinct and we seek fighters"
Crowd yelling "It's not our war"

I mean wtf!

And the whole plan was to reset the timeline, so not sure why Pratt was so melodramatic about it all. "I can't let you die". Idiot...if the timeline was changed, that wouldn't happen at all!

And then they go to the govt saying they know the source that led to humanity's extinction and get brushed off!

None of it made any practical sense.

Superden

No Sudden Move.
Soderbergs latest effort, with don Cheadle and Ray liotta in the main roles and pretty stellar supporting cast. 50s Detroit heist flick, lots of snappy dialogue (although had to rewind several times as wasn't always clear, or I had a crap copy), cool cars, cool clothes, cool soundtrack. And Matt Damon. 7/10

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Tomorrow War was unnecessarily bad. A ridiculous premise that could have been done very well, it had legs. Aliens were pretty cool. Pratt was solid. Simmons always good.

Absolute mess though. The initial Soldier’s from the future reveal was pretty cool. But they made them emerge into what looked to be a MasterCard advert which was an odd choice.

Far too long. Ending was ridiculous. Still Felt like there may have been a decent film in there somewhere.

Edit : useless point : They used Theresa May as the face of the UK instead of Boris. I don’t know why. Perhaps lazy research. Perhaps deliberate.

Last edited:
Just watched Fear Street 1994.

actually pretty good, and looking forward to the sequels release in a few days on Netflix.

some of the music annoyed me though as it the likes of I’m Onky Happy When It Rains and Firestarter were released after when the film was set. Being mega picky.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I thought The Tomorrow War was shit 30 minutes ago but, fup me, it got exponentially worse. It was as if the script was written by one of the writers for the Power Rangers. And every 30 minutes, another writer from the Power Rangers joined in. Until the last 30 minutes, when the actors from the Power Rangers took over and decided to recreate their favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode.

Absolute travesty of a film. Everyone associated with it should be kept awake with drugs and forced to watch it on a loop until they die.

Sweet Square

Granted I haven't seen The Tomorrow War but isn't it pretty safe to say now that if a film stars Chris Pratt then it's going to be pretty shite.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I thought The Tomorrow War was shit 30 minutes ago but, fup me, it got exponentially worse. It was as if the script was written by one of the writers for the Power Rangers. And every 30 minutes, another writer from the Power Rangers joined in. Until the last 30 minutes, when the actors from the Power Rangers took over and decided to recreate their favourite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episode.

Absolute travesty of a film. Everyone associated with it should be kept awake with drugs and forced to watch it on a loop until they die.
Could have saved it in The end too.

Go to the place they go to. Find the thing they went for. Unleash what was in it. Realise that them going is what set everything in motion. Closed loop. Macabre ending.

Written in vague terms there to not spoiler but you get the gist.

ChrisNelson

Freaky

Harmless fun for an hour and a half, although I suspect it will appeal more to fans of the genre. Performance wise it's OK, Vince Vaughn will always have a special place in my acting heart from being in Wedding Crashers, so he can do no wrong.

Bodyswap films have been done before but it's well thought through and does have some funny moments, as I've said though I think comedy horror fans will rate it.

7/10

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Just had the misfortune to watch Guy Ritchie's latest film, Wrath of Man.

My word what has happened to him? He's one of my favourite directors but this film is utter shite. Horrible acting, pathetic dialogue, predictable storyline, no clever plot twists, no character development whatsoever.

Was this really the same guy who made Lockstock, Snatch and The Gentleman?

Awful.

Superden

Fear St 1994 part one.

If the people behind stranger things made an 90s teen horror flick with a smaller budget than they are used to, and had a thing about teenage girl on girl action.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Varsity Blues How did they make something so interesting so feckin boring? Maybe they should have waited until.everyone is sentenced? 3/10

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I watched The Father with Anthony Hopkins last weekend and it was really good. Might be a bit slow and tedious unless you are interested in understanding dementia and while Hopkins does a phenomenal job portraying it, I thought Olivia Coleman was extremely good as the daughter suffering directly while taking care of a parent.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do people really focus so much on an actors performance? Unless it's blatantly bad I usually take it for granted and am more interested in the actual story itself. Is the writing good? Is the directing nice? Soundtrack cool? Those things.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Do people really focus so much on an actors performance? Unless it's blatantly bad I usually take it for granted and am more interested in the actual story itself. Is the writing good? Is the directing nice? Soundtrack cool? Those things.
Yeah of course. I'm surprised it's even a question. It's a massive component of the film, as much (or more, in certain films, such as The Father) as the other things you've mentioned.