Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Blood Red Sky
A woman with a mysterious illness is forced into action when a group of terrorists attempt to hijack a transatlantic overnight flight. Started off quite well but once the midpoint arrives, it just turns into dross. Could have and should have done more with the concept 4.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Cheimoon Uncut Gems is awesome. Watch it. Did you see the previous Safdie Brothers film?
I had never even heard of it, but I see Good Time is also on Netflix. I'll let you know what I thought in a year or so when I've gotten round to watching it. ;)

Did you see the 1974 and 2017 versions of Murder on the Orient Express btw? Any thoughts?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The aliens were probably the best aliens of the genre I've seen in recent times. Can't think of any that were better.
Edge of Tomorrow definitely. A Quiet Place, as well.

The aliens were the only palatable part of The Tomorrow War. Sad that the producers randomly upped their sturdiness at times, then scaled them back when it suited. No consistency. They wasted them

To make a great alien invasion movie, the invaders have to be the centre of the movie. Not an accessory. Even if they don’t get much screen time, their presence should permeate every scene.

There was a good movie in there I reckon. A tweak of the premise, a decent writer, and some nailed on continuity of the bad guys would have done wonders for it.

Not that that matters. It’s the biggest streamed movie launch of all time. Mediocrity is enough nowadays. Things only need to be 6 out of 10 and have a few stars in them to be watched a lot and be regarded as a success.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Kill Bill 1 | Kill Bill 2
I had forgotten just how brilliant they were. Tarantino really is a genius. His most creative film. Doesn’t disappear into a quotables-fest. Indulges in looooong cuts to flashbacks. Has a random departure into anime. I last saw it on original release at the Cinema so it all felt new again.
9/10 as a whole. 8/10 as 2 standalones.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

The aliens were the only palatable part of The Tomorrow War. Sad that the producers randomly upped their sturdiness at times, then scaled them back when it suited. No consistency. They wasted them

To make a great alien invasion movie, the invaders have to be the centre of the movie. Not an accessory. Even if they don’t get much screen time, their presence should permeate every scene.

There was a good movie in there I reckon. A tweak of the premise, a decent writer, and some nailed on continuity of the bad guys would have done wonders for it.

Not that that matters. It’s the biggest streamed movie launch of all time. Mediocrity is enough nowadays. Things only need to be 6 out of 10 and have a few stars in them to be watched a lot and be regarded as a success.
Yeah, it doesn't take much in terms of the actual film, does it. On Netflix, new films are often among the top watched ones, and it seems to be it's just because they got promoted by Netflix, and then the promotion continues just because they're being watched - some kind of feedback loop. So: a big film with a big trailer and backing from the streamer through advertising, and you've got success guaranteed regardless of quality. It's weird.

Last edited:

RedPed

Whatabouter.

Yeah the aliens in Edge of Tomorrow were considered of course but they were just all tentacles really. I just think the Tomorrow War critters shaded it in every department. They were rendered a lot better, looked more badass and had better movement and the projectiles just added that extra sauce.

The Starship Trooper bugs will always hold a special place in my heart though.

Old Ma Crow

The Current War

An interesting and very watchable film from an incredible time in modern human history. Inspired me to read more about the characters and events. 7/10

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I watched Creep 1 and 2 back to back tonight. I only know Mark Duplass from The League, he is excellent in both films. I'm not typically into horror, but these were really good.

Without giving too much away, in both films a guy (Duplass) puts out an ad for a videographer to come spend the day documenting his life. Both play out very differently. Highly recommended.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yeah, it doesn't take much 8n terms of the actual film, does it. At Netflix, new films are often among the top watched ones, and it seems to be it's just because they got promoted by Netflix, and then the promotion continues just because they're being watched - some kind of feedback loop. So: a big film with a big trailer and backing from the streamer through advertising, and you've got success guaranteed regardless of quality. It's weird.
Its ridiculous. The world of great content and genuine critique & praise still exists. People still want to make GREAT things.

But we’ve entered the age of mediocrity. It’s endemic. Reaction videos. Screen recordings of screen recordings getting millions of views. Out of context clips being consumed more than the artful whole. Dilutions of original thought as more and more people do the same thing over and over. The same song being attached to every single video to the point it’s original bite is gone. Songs now being made as short as possible because Spotify values play count over quality.

Netflix is now filling up with garbage B-Movies too. You can watch an all-time classic and it will suggest a tumescent something to watch next. The ‘More like this’ section is awful compared to even two years ago.

There’s a push to accept sh1te. It doesn’t feel like anyone is trying to win through best product. It’s retain eyeballs through social conditioning.

I reset my entire Netflix once a month now just to stop it funneling me the same shite. Just because I go on a Zombie movie tear. Or a horror genre fortnight. Or Monster movie marathons… I 100% do not want that all the time. The algorithm is awful.

Apologies. Rant/

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its ridiculous. The world of great content and genuine critique & praise still exists. People still want to make GREAT things.

But we’ve entered the age of mediocrity. It’s endemic. Reaction videos. Screen recordings of screen recordings getting millions of views. Out of context clips being consumed more than the artful whole. Dilutions of original thought as more and more people do the same thing over and over. The same song being attached to every single video to the point it’s original bite is gone. Songs now being made as short as possible because Spotify values play count over quality.

Netflix is now filling up with garbage B-Movies too. You can watch an all-time classic and it will suggest a tumescent something to watch next. The ‘More like this’ section is awful compared to even two years ago.

There’s a push to accept sh1te. It doesn’t feel like anyone is trying to win through best product. It’s retain eyeballs through social conditioning.

I reset my entire Netflix once a month now just to stop it funneling me the same shite. Just because I go on a Zombie movie tear. Or a horror genre fortnight. Or Monster movie marathons… I 100% do not want that all the time. The algorithm is awful.

Apologies. Rant/
Good rant. And interesting idea on resetting your Netflix account!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I watched Creep 1 and 2 back to back tonight. I only know Mark Duplass from The League, he is excellent in both films. I'm not typically into horror, but these were really good.

Without giving too much away, in both films a guy (Duplass) puts out an ad for a videographer to come spend the day documenting his life. Both play out very differently. Highly recommended.
I've seen these and they are pretty good. Mark Duplass is unnerving af.

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
He is. I couldn't imagine him in such a role based on seeing him in comedic roles, but once you see him in it, it makes sense. His facial expressions are constantly unsettling.
Yea, definitely. He has that Willem Defoe...weird malleable face quality about him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

He is. I couldn't imagine him in such a role based on seeing him in comedic roles, but once you see him in it, it makes sense. His facial expressions are constantly unsettling.
Great take. I don’t have him down as a fabulous top tier actor…. But he’s as believable in his staple : side man commentary guy as he is serial killer. It’s a weird thing he’s got. The post above comparing him to Dafoe is spot on.

0le

I have Amazon prime for a few weeks. Are there any Amazon exclusive movies worth watching? I plan to watch the Godzilla sequel and the film about the Stanford prison experiment.

Fingeredmouse

Apologies. Rant/
Well said. Bravo.

caid

I really should reset my netflix account. Its basically a zombie movie account at this point.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Apologies. Rant/
I found a lot of gems, we have a family's account and i take a peek at my wife's. Her list is a total revelation, not that they're my cup of tea but there's alot of movies that i didnt know they even have it.

SirAnderson

Escape Room: Tournament Of Champions (2020, released 2021)

A worthy successor to the first film and decent entry in to what now appears to be at least a trilogy.

As with the original, a lot of inspiration is taken from the Saw movies.

Some of the rooms are deliberately OTT i.e. I was sat there thinking there is no way anything this complex would be in a real escape room!

But it's fast paced (has to be at 88 minutes) and exciting and keeps you guessing until the end, although there were a couple of things I predicted - they're not obvious though and take their time to manifest.

7.5/10
Can't find this anywhere for some reason?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Les Miserables

Les Mis is quite special to me since my dear sister played little Cosette 16 times in it's 1991 run in The Netherlands and I went to see her all 16 times. I've read the book twice since and it's a fantastic story.

That being said, I just can't get into musical movies somehow and Russel Crowe was a terrible choice as Javert as was that complete numpty Eddy Redmayne as Marius.

Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham-Carter are brilliant though. And so is the dude playing Enjolras.

7/10

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
A Quiet Place 2

After such a good first movie I was very disappointed with this sequel. There were so many plot holes in this I'm glad as I seated or I'd be tripping every few minutes. The plot holes were both internal to this movie itself (boat people) and some serious ones from the first movie(can't swim) where it seemed like they just made some revisionist history with no care to consistency. The acting from the girl was excellent though and Emily Blunt is always fairly good at least. Really disappointed in the writing here however and don't really rate the creator moving forward.

4/10

Really wish we saw Escape Room 2 instead of this epitome of mediocrity and bad writing

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I found a lot of gems, we have a family's account and i take a peek at my wife's. Her list is a total revelation, not that they're my cup of tea but there's alot of movies that i didnt know they even have it.
There's a ton of content the page of recommendations will never show you based on what they think you like. There are search codes for genres though. This site lists a bunch of them, although it looks like it's just a selection from the total:

https://www.canadianfreestuff.com/netflix-canada-secret-codes/

(There's nothing secret about this though. :lol: )

OleBoiii

My Octopus Teacher

I enjoyed it a lot! Fascinating, educational and very beautifully shot. I think the emotions of the creator are genuine and that his "journey" truly had a profound effect on his life.

EDIT:
It's short and on Netflix, so it's definitely worth a watch. If you can't get into the "story", then at least you'll learn about octopuses and get some nice underwater footage.

Oldyella

Les Miserables

Les Mis is quite special to me since my dear sister played little Cosette 16 times in it's 1991 run in The Netherlands and I went to see her all 16 times. I've read the book twice since and it's a fantastic story.

That being said, I just can't get into musical movies somehow and Russel Crowe was a terrible choice as Javert as was that complete numpty Eddy Redmayne as Marius.

Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham-Carter are brilliant though. And so is the dude playing Enjolras.

7/10
What did you think of Anne Hatheway? I know she got plaudits for it at the time and always been a big fan but don't think I've ever watched it all through

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Ides Of March
An idealistic staffer for a new presidential candidate gets a crash course on dirty politics during his stint on the campaign trail. Not my usual bag but I was quite enjoying this, mainly due to the heavyweight cast (Clooney, Gosling, Seymour-Hoffman, Rachel Evan-Wood etc). I felt that at only 100 minutes, the final act was super rushed and seemed disjointed to the rest of the movie. It's like they got the end of a different script and stitched it on here. Not horrible but let down by the final act 5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Gone Baby Gone. Overall a very strong film that mixes elements of social drama into a detective story around a kidnapped four-year old girl. Both are a little clunky and underdeveloped at times (the social drama is a little on the nose, and the detective story keeps moving and shifting very quickly - especially the two revelations at the end follow each other two quickly with too many explanatory flashbacks), but overall, it works, and I have to admit that I have no idea how I would resolve the moral dilemma posed at the end. Good acting, too (as much as Casey Affleck has the exact same mannerisms as his brother), and some nice shots by Ben Affleck in his first director gig. There are some shots he could have used more strongly though - like the great shot with Affleck and Harris on the roof with Boston in the background that is on screen far too briefly. Beautifully composed final shot though. Anyway, as I said, overall a strong film.