Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There's a ton of content the page of recommendations will never show you based on what they think you like. There are search codes for genres though. This site lists a bunch of them, although it looks like it's just a selection from the total:

https://www.canadianfreestuff.com/netflix-canada-secret-codes/

(There's nothing secret about this though. :lol: )
Ah..thanks..will try.

Tried vpn once but doesnt seems to work for me. Maybe it's the free one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Ah..thanks..will try.

Tried vpn once but doesnt seems to work for me. Maybe it's the free one.
Maybe I misunderstand you, but these codes have nothing to do with VPN. You can use them on in your browser once you're logged in to Netflix to get a certain list of Netflix films - but obviously only the films within that category that are available in your country's version of Netflix. For example: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/9196 will give you a list of what Netflix calls 'Southeast Asian Movies'.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Maybe I misunderstand you, but these codes have nothing to do with VPN. You can use them on in your browser once you're logged in to Netflix to get a certain list of Netflix films - but obviously only the films within that category that are available in your country's version of Netflix. For example: https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/9196 will give you a list of what Netflix calls 'Southeast Asian Movies'.
What i mean is that i will try those. And on the other unrelated stuff i tried vpn and it doesnt work.

Have you tried vpn? Our selection being in indonesia is not as vast as other nation. Especially the asian movies, which is my cup of tea (and since western movies are always readily available disguntingly online)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
What i mean is that i will try those. And on the other unrelated stuff i tried vpn and it doesnt work.

Have you tried vpn? Our selection being in indonesia is not as vast as other nation. Especially the asian movies, which is my cup of tea (and since western movies are always readily available disguntingly online)
Ah okay! :)

No, I haven't. The Canadian selection also appears well below what you get in the US, and I'd love to have more of the Dutch selection. On the other hand, I already don't have enough time to watch what's available here and I've decided to do all my multimedia stuff legally exclusively, so I'm not planning on doing VPN stuff any time soon.

Tarrou

Alien 3

Piece of junk. Charles dance was good though. And ripley was overrated. Her acting is choppy ane annoying. Just out with it already. What's with this i can't tell you shit because... well...
did you watch the assembly cut? it cleans it up a fair bit, but it's still not a patch on first two

the worst part of the film for me is in the final act with loads of British guys who look identical running around some tunnels for ages, and you have no fecking clue who anyone is or where they are

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
did you watch the assembly cut? it cleans it up a fair bit, but it's still not a patch on first two

the worst part of the film for me is in the final act with loads of British guys who look identical running around some tunnels for ages, and you have no fecking clue who anyone is or where they are
Can't be bothered. The mess is just too much to salvage. It's dire even for B movie standard. I like aliens for what it is, gun totting marines vs zerg of aliens. They killed the only likeable character early on.

I never realized that was tywin until the end credit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What did you think of Anne Hatheway? I know she got plaudits for it at the time and always been a big fan but don't think I've ever watched it all through
She was very good. Great singing and acting. She might actually be the best in the movie.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Gone Baby Gone. Overall a very strong film that mixes elements of social drama into a detective story around a kidnapped four-year old girl. Both are a little clunky and underdeveloped at times (the social drama is a little on the nose, and the detective story keeps moving and shifting very quickly - especially the two revelations at the end follow each other two quickly with too many explanatory flashbacks), but overall, it works, and I have to admit that I have no idea how I would resolve the moral dilemma posed at the end. Good acting, too (as much as Casey Affleck has the exact same mannerisms as his brother), and some nice shots by Ben Affleck in his first director gig. There are some shots he could have used more strongly though - like the great shot with Affleck and Harris on the roof with Boston in the background that is on screen far too briefly. Beautifully composed final shot though. Anyway, as I said, overall a strong film.
Certainly better than Ode to Joy, no doubt.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Gone Baby Gone. Overall a very strong film that mixes elements of social drama into a detective story around a kidnapped four-year old girl. Both are a little clunky and underdeveloped at times (the social drama is a little on the nose, and the detective story keeps moving and shifting very quickly - especially the two revelations at the end follow each other two quickly with too many explanatory flashbacks), but overall, it works, and I have to admit that I have no idea how I would resolve the moral dilemma posed at the end. Good acting, too (as much as Casey Affleck has the exact same mannerisms as his brother), and some nice shots by Ben Affleck in his first director gig. There are some shots he could have used more strongly though - like the great shot with Affleck and Harris on the roof with Boston in the background that is on screen far too briefly. Beautifully composed final shot though. Anyway, as I said, overall a strong film.
I watched it recently enjoyed it. Agree with the moral dilemma with the ending, I honestly have no idea what I would have done in that situation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Cheimoon would've just re-watched Ode to Joy
Would you know it, I watched it both before and after Gone Baby Gone! A modern day classic, I'd list it alongside The Godfather Pt 1, but it had to be higher because the acting and, frankly, the narrative are just much better in Ode to Joy.

I did tell you I didn't have time to watch stuff, and here's the real reason.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Admittedly I've never seen GBG but have you seen Prisoners? I always thought it was one of the stronger movies in the kidnapped kid genre.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Admittedly I've never seen GBG but have you seen Prisoners? I always thought it was one of the stronger movies in the kidnapped kid genre.
Nope, and I had never heard of it either! I'll keep it in mind. :)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Prisoners, like Gone Baby Gone, are both excellent kidnapped kid movies...but the GOAT has to be Rush Hour.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Great movie. Love Gyllenhaal and Jackman in that one.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Prisoners, like Gone Baby Gone, are both excellent kidnapped kid movies...but the GOAT has to be Rush Hour.
:D

This conversation made me realize again why I don't do ratings. I mean, I enjoyed Ode to Joy (sorry @Rooney in Paris) so I'd want to give it a positive rating - meaning at least 6/10. Anything below that I would consider a film that fails more than it succeeds. (Maybe I'm too influenced in that by the Dutch 1-10 school grading system, but anyway.) But the 6/10 for Ode to Joy would be completely incomparable to the 7/10 I might give to, say, The Godfather 3. Or maybe I should give that one an 8/10, but then it's hard to really distinguish films at the top, cause, say, The Godfather 1 or The Third Man or Heat aren't all 9/10 or 10/10 in the same way. I could use different scales for non-serious and serious films instead, but any such classification would be both condescending and hard to maintain for great films that don't have huge depth (say, The Apartment).

So yeah, no, anyway.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

This conversation made me realize again why I don't do ratings. I mean, I enjoyed Ode to Joy (sorry @Rooney in Paris) so I'd want to give it a positive rating - meaning at least 6/10. Anything below that I would consider a film that fails more than it succeeds. (Maybe I'm too influenced in that by the Dutch 1-10 school grading system, but anyway.) But the 6/10 for Ode to Joy would be completely incomparable to the 7/10 I might give to, say, The Godfather 3. Or maybe I should give that one an 8/10, but then it's hard to really distinguish films at the top, cause, say, The Godfather 1 or The Third Man or Heat aren't all 9/10 or 10/10 in the same way. I could use different scales for non-serious and serious films instead, but any such classification would be both condescending and hard to maintain for great films that don't have huge depth (say, The Apartment).

So yeah, no, anyway.
…yes.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Would you know it, I watched it both before and after Gone Baby Gone! A modern day classic, I'd list it alongside The Godfather Pt 1, but it had to be higher because the acting and , frankly, the narrative are just much better in Ode to Joy.

I did tell you I didn't have time to watch stuff, and here's the real reason.
:lol:

Rooney in Paris

Scout

So yeah, no, anyway.
I agree with you. I don't do ratings either, just impressions of films, it's so bloody relative I don't see the point in it, for all the reasons you've mentioned. Also, Ode to Joy.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I agree with you. I don't do ratings either, just impressions of films, it's so bloody relative I don't see the point in it, for all the reasons you've mentioned. Also, Ode to Joy.
B.B.C.D.D.C.B.A.G.G.A.B.B..AA...

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Jungle Cruise

A typical Disney movie. Aimed at kids. Lots of bad (but funny) puns. Good CGI, Rock and Emily Blunt carry the movie and do a great job covering up a wafer thin plot. Screenplay and pacing are good. We found it very entertaining (though alcohol might have helped). And a feel good , happily ever after theme running all through.... which I appreciated in these times.

Definitely worth a watch! 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
F9

Potential to be the worst of the lot. Probably is, IMO. This coming from someone who watched all of them & usually enjoy the mindless fun.
I'm like you, seen then all (except this one) on day 1 release at the cinema. Huge fan. But the writing was on the wall after 7. They should have just ended it there after the passing of Paul Walker, who was the heart of the franchise. Now it's just a vehicle (no pun intended) to inflate Vin Diesels ego.

The Cave
A bunch of cave explorers get stuck in a cave with hungry monsters. Not very memorable, stock characters, bad acting, poor monster design and very strange lighting. Watch The Descent instead 4/10

AaronRedDevil

Suicide Squad 2

This movie was probably one of the best DC movies I’ve seen since in years. James Gunn did a brilliant job handling all these characters and letting each of them getting there moments. It’s clear he had a lot of fun making this movie with all the effects and quirky superpowers of Polka Dot man and the craziness of Harley Quinn. I’m a big fan of King Shark after that Harley Quinn show and he lived up to expectations, Stallone was a great choice in Voice acting him. Some scenes in this were so damn funny especially the camp moment halfway in. John Cena and Idris Elba worked great together along with Rick Flag. Movie took some surprising turns. Especially at the beginning . I really enjoyed seeing this in the cinema. 8/10.

AaronRedDevil

F9

Potential to be the worst of the lot. Probably is, IMO. This coming from someone who watched all of them & usually enjoy the mindless fun.
They went WAY over the top of the superhuman stuff. Plus 2 dipshits in space and that truck scene. Just no. There’s only so much I can suspend my belief.

Last edited:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I'm like you, seen then all (except this one) on day 1 release at the cinema. Huge fan. But the writing was on the wall after 7. They should have just ended it there after the passing of Paul Walker, who was the heart of the franchise. Now it's just a vehicle (no pun intended) to inflate Vin Diesels ego.

The Cave
A bunch of cave explorers get stuck in a cave with hungry monsters. Not very memorable, stock characters, bad acting, poor monster design and very strange lighting. Watch The Descent instead 4/10
Agreed man. Worst yet, they have talented actors like our Charlize Theron wasting her time appearing in this :lol: (probably a good pay day for very little “acting”)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone have some good suggestions for political thrillers? I love those kind of movies.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Agreed man. Worst yet, they have talented actors like our Charlize Theron wasting her time appearing in this :lol: (probably a good pay day for very little “acting”)
Yeah and Helen Mirren. It's like watching a 3-a-side football match with KDB (Theron), Chiellini (Mirren) and Troy Deeney (Vin Diesel) and the latter is the Captain :lol:

Anyone have some good suggestions for political thrillers? I love those kind of movies.
I recently watched Ides Of March which was ok.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Other than the obvious 1970s movies, I'd say The Insider, The Constant Gardener and if can do subtitles The Man Standing Next: The Assassination of a President

Minkaro

Jungle Cruise

A typical Disney movie. Aimed at kids. Lots of bad (but funny) puns. Good CGI, Rock and Emily Blunt carry the movie and do a great job covering up a wafer thin plot. Screenplay and pacing are good. We found it very entertaining (though alcohol might have helped). And a feel good , happily ever after theme running all through.... which I appreciated in these times.

Definitely worth a watch! 7/10
Saw it today, and agree with this. One of those easy-to-watch blockbusters. Enjoyed Jesse Plemons in this as well.

Film also wins the award for most unexpected Metallica.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
The Lives of Others, A Most Wanted Man, Thirteen Days.

Funny to see this topic come up, as I just finished Oliver Stone’s JFK. If you can suspend your disbelief regarding the subject, or just aren’t well-versed in it, it is good fun.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Taffin:
A B-movie which thinks it is In Bruges 3/10

Pelham 123 (1974)
:
So much better than the remake. No needlessly convoluted plot. Fun characters. 7.5/10

Lucky Number Slevin:

Another movie with higher pretensions than the reality. Lucy Liu, an extra half point. 5/10

Great White

Another shark movie. Plane gets chartered to an island where they discover the remains of a shark attack victim. Plan crashes in the middle of the sea and the survivors have to make it to land on a life raft while stalked by a great white shark.

Done a 100 times before. If you’re a shark buff then 6/10 as while nowhere near the masterpiece that is Sharknado…. I mean jaws…. It’s ok watch and better then the countless of other recent shark movies barring maybe The Shallows

ChrisNelson

Can't find this anywhere for some reason?
It had a fairly wide release in the UK and I imagine it will be available for streaming fairly soon but I'm not sure about South Africa.

Keep your eyes peeled online and some showtimes might pop up.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Dream / 2008 / Kim Ki-Duk

Liked this a lot. It's a mysterious and provocative film that showcases the anguish of memory and offers abstract commentary on how people use their inner turmoil to connect.

Central to the story is the relationship between the hirsute protagonist Jin, who constantly dreams himself involved in violent encounters with an ex-lover.

These end up being enacted by the unwitting Ran, a young women who herself is suffering from complex emotions resulting from her past.

The film actualises the complex world of dreams, asking why we're sufferers to the mysterious workings of our sub-conscious.

As ETA Hoffman once wrote - Exit light. Enter Night. We're off to never-never land.

OleBoiii

Snatch

I watched it for the first time yesterday since it's a colleague's favorite film.

8.3 on IMDb, really?! It's a decent film, but come on! :p I guess it was pretty unique in the year 2000? It reminds me of a Tarantino film with less interesting dialogue and more silliness. Some of the scenes are funny, like the caravan with no wheels and the borderline immortal Russian guy being delirious. But Jason Statham's deadpan deliveries didn't really do it for me. The 3 "stooges" and Vinnie Jones weren't particularly interesting either.