Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

pauldyson1uk

A Quiet Place Part II

Following the events at home, the Abbott family now face the terrors of the outside world. Forced to venture into the unknown, they realize the creatures that hunt by sound are not the only threats lurking beyond the sand path.
It was good enough, pretty much that same as the first, dont make a sound or you will die.
I was wanting more, the suspense was there but only in parts, the acting was OK.
It told nothing new, well apart from the island .
I was disappointed, it needs a third, to do something !
It was still a decent watch.

6/10

pauldyson1uk

Phobias

Five dangerous patients, suffering from extreme phobias at a government testing facility, are put to the ultimate test under the supervision of a crazed doctor and his quest to weaponize fear.
One off worst horror anthology I have ever seen. None of the stories in this film are good.

3/10

pauldyson1uk

The Retreat

A lesbian couple with a rocky relationship goes to a pre-wedding retreat and ends up fighting for their lives when a group of militant serial killers tries to murder them.
Better than I thought it would be, decent story, acting was a bit ropey in parts, its worth a watch.

5.5/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Papillon
Wrongfully convicted for murder, Henri Charriere forms an unlikely relationship with fellow inmate and quirky convicted counterfeiter Louis Dega, in an attempt to escape from the notorious penal colony on Devil's Island. Initially found it difficult to get into it because Charlie Hunnam was awful but he got better and once Rami Malek got introduced, the film as a whole improved. I'm a sucker for a prison escape movie so this was up my street. Worth a watch in my opinion 7.5/10

Guns Akimbo

Daniel Radcliffe is an internet troll who get captured and forced to play a deadly online game where he must kill Samara Weaving (:drool:) or risk having his own girlfriend killed by the host of the game. A fun, stylish action movie with some funny moment and enjoyable action set-pieces. You have to switch your brain off though because the plot holes are bigger than Rikishi's arse. I had a lot of fun with this and Samara Weaving is bloody brilliant, as usual 7/10

Sully

The story of Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks), an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew. Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart are predictably amazing and I'm also a fan of Clint Eastwood as a director. This didn't disappoint. I felt it could have been longer to draw more discussion around the subject, but still, I found this to be a better story than Denzel's plane movie Flight 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Empty Man
On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity. Brilliantly shot, really enjoyed the mystery behind the story and generally had a good time.The plot goes a bit daft in the final act but the journey was filled with suspense and mystery so I forgave that. My biggest issue was the run time. 2 hours and 15 minutes! The opening, despite being bad ass, was 20 minutes long! I read that the director wanted to shorten it but the studio told him to shut the feck up and just released it. Shame as it ruins the experience somewhat. Also, surprised this is on Disney+ 7/10

Jungleland

Two brothers try to escape their circumstances by travelling across the country for a no holds barred boxing match that becomes a fight for their lives. Charlie Hunnam actually puts in a good performance alongside Jack O'Connell. I found this to be a decent movie, well paced and some heartfelt moments. The fight scenes seemed realistic. Kind of wish there was another gear to it though as it didn't do anything different to many other road trip coming of age movies. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes 6.5/10

pauldyson1uk

The Empty Man
On the trail of a missing girl, an ex-cop comes across a secretive group attempting to summon a terrifying supernatural entity. Brilliantly shot, really enjoyed the mystery behind the story and generally had a good time.The plot goes a bit daft in the final act but the journey was filled with suspense and mystery so I forgave that. My biggest issue was the run time. 2 hours and 15 minutes! The opening, despite being bad ass, was 20 minutes long! I read that the director wanted to shorten it but the studio told him to shut the feck up and just released it. Shame as it ruins the experience somewhat. Also, surprised this is on Disney+ 7/10

Jungleland

Two brothers try to escape their circumstances by travelling across the country for a no holds barred boxing match that becomes a fight for their lives. Charlie Hunnam actually puts in a good performance alongside Jack O'Connell. I found this to be a decent movie, well paced and some heartfelt moments. The fight scenes seemed realistic. Kind of wish there was another gear to it though as it didn't do anything different to many other road trip coming of age movies. Not a bad way to spend 90 minutes 6.5/10
both of these sound good, will add them to my watch list :D

pauldyson1uk

Papillon
Wrongfully convicted for murder, Henri Charriere forms an unlikely relationship with fellow inmate and quirky convicted counterfeiter Louis Dega, in an attempt to escape from the notorious penal colony on Devil's Island. Initially found it difficult to get into it because Charlie Hunnam was awful but he got better and once Rami Malek got introduced, the film as a whole improved. I'm a sucker for a prison escape movie so this was up my street. Worth a watch in my opinion 7.5/10

Guns Akimbo

Daniel Radcliffe is an internet troll who get captured and forced to play a deadly online game where he must kill Samara Weaving (:drool:) or risk having his own girlfriend killed by the host of the game. A fun, stylish action movie with some funny moment and enjoyable action set-pieces. You have to switch your brain off though because the plot holes are bigger than Rikishi's arse. I had a lot of fun with this and Samara Weaving is bloody brilliant, as usual 7/10

Sully

The story of Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger (Tom Hanks), an American pilot who became a hero after landing his damaged plane on the Hudson River in order to save the flight's passengers and crew. Tom Hanks and Aaron Eckhart are predictably amazing and I'm also a fan of Clint Eastwood as a director. This didn't disappoint. I felt it could have been longer to draw more discussion around the subject, but still, I found this to be a better story than Denzel's plane movie Flight 7/10
will add these also, I have seen the original Papillon, excellent film.

pauldyson1uk

Roadrunner

A documentary about Anthony Bourdain and his career as a chef, writer and host, revered and renowned for his authentic approach to food, culture and travel.
I thought he was a genius, I found this a very hard watch, but even if you have only seen one of his programs a must watch.

10/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I was just wondering, do made-for-TV movies still get made? I remember watching 1 a while ago and it was actually good. It was an HBO original actually: Path to War (2002).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I was just wondering, do made-for-TV movies still get made? I remember watching 1 a while ago and it was actually good. It was an HBO original actually: Path to War (2002).
Does made-for-streaming count? There are certainly plenty of cheap movies on Netflix that are billed as Netflix movies.

I guess streaming and cinema closures have blurred that line anyway (also without the cinema closures though, since e.g. Netflix doesn't want full cinema runs for its films).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Does made-for-streaming count? There are certainly plenty of cheap movies on Netflix that are billed as Netflix movies.

I guess streaming and cinema closures have blurred that line anyway (also without the cinema closures though, since e.g. Netflix doesn't want full cinema runs for its films).
I think made for streaming would somewhat count yeah. Though most Netflix originals are absolute shit but that's a different discussion. :D

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pig - Expected something like John Wick, instead got a really compelling story of love & loss. Nicholas Cage was really good. 8/10.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think made for streaming would somewhat count yeah. Though most Netflix originals are absolute shit but that's a different discussion. :D
True. :D

But I don't know how many made-for-tv (i.e., not streaming) will still be made. Streaming services are desperate for exclusive content and have the money (right now, anyway) to fund these kinds of films. And they have the global audience that will guarantee viewers for every production. With that in place, what incentive is there for a studio to create a film by themselves that they then have to try and seek to tv stations? Except if tv stations are going to up their game in that market somehow, of course.

Tarrou

Pig - Expected something like John Wick, instead got a really compelling story of love & loss. Nicholas Cage was really good. 8/10.
I thought it was fantastic

Was expecting it to go all John Wick too but the direction it took was a pleasant surprise

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Promising Young Woman 8/10.

Pretty good and one of the better films i have seen. But parts were predictable. And i was looking at my phone in parts.
I knew straight away that bo burnams character would have some dirt on him. I could see that coming a mile off.

Best films i have seen in the last year are probably parasite, 1917, the white tiger. Maybe fear street as well was pretty good.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Last Suicide Squad was poor. Some chuckles worthy, but a predictable, unfunny mess.

It is a box office bomb, so probably we won't see another one.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Fail-Safe (1964)

Holy shit, I was not expecting such a good movie. I was expecting a somewhat above-average political thriller movie (based on its ratings) but this movie is an absolute classic as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious, did the movie makers not think that it was too soon for such a movie? It's literally 2 years after the Cuban missile crisis.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Roadrunner

A documentary about Anthony Bourdain and his career as a chef, writer and host, revered and renowned for his authentic approach to food, culture and travel.
I thought he was a genius, I found this a very hard watch, but even if you have only seen one of his programs a must watch.

10/10
Yeah i really wanna watch this. I only recently (sometime last year) started watching his Parts Unknown series on Netflix. Never really followed him before, but heard it was good so gave it a go. It's excellent. Not sure where i can watch this documentary though. Doesn't seem to be streaming on many platforms.

pauldyson1uk

Fail-Safe (1964)

Holy shit, I was not expecting such a good movie. I was expecting a somewhat above-average political thriller movie (based on its ratings) but this movie is an absolute classic as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just curious, did the movie makers not think that it was too soon for such a movie? It's literally 2 years after the Cuban missile crisis.
One of my top 10 films, not seen it for a few years love it.

pauldyson1uk

Yeah i really wanna watch this. I only recently (sometime last year) started watching his Parts Unknown series on Netflix. Never really followed him before, but heard it was good so gave it a go. It's excellent. Not sure where i can watch this documentary though. Doesn't seem to be streaming on many platforms.
set for a cinema release late summer, I acquired it from a torrent site.

pauldyson1uk

Seance

At the prestigious Fairfield Academy, an elite boarding school for girls, six friends jokingly engage in a late night ritual, calling forth the spirit of a dead former student who reportedly haunts their halls. Before morning, one of the girls is dead, leaving the others wondering what they may have awakened

I have seen worse, it has its moment's. The twist is OK , some good gore at the end.

6/10

pauldyson1uk

The Other Side Of The Door

A family lives an idyllic existence abroad until a tragic accident takes the life of their young son. The inconsolable mother learns of an ancient ritual that will bring him back to say a final goodbye. She travels to an ancient temple, where a door serves as a mysterious portal between two worlds. But when she disobeys a sacred warning to never open that door, she upsets the balance between life and death

This was pretty good, the acting was decent, the atmosphere was pretty creepy.
The story was nothing you have not seen before, if you have seen Pet Cemetery you have seen this, the ending was predicable, but it's a good watch if you like jump scares. All in all, it wasn't a bad way to spend and hour and a half.

6.5/10

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Dawn of the dead: bloodlines

A reimagining of Romero's film. The speeding up of the action sequences and the ridiculous blood explosions, even for minor bites, were awful. I gave up after about 15-20 minutes.
It's a like TV movie rip-off.

AaronRedDevil

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. 10/10

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. 10/10

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. 10/10

That is all.