Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The Suicide Squad
Absolutely brilliant. Properly slapstick and comic book. Lots and lots of fun. Not grounded in reality in any way shape or form and just lets it all hang out. Cena was surprisingly good. Rat Catcher 2 was inexplicably hot. Weasel was nightmarish. Good deaths, solid action pieces, King Shark is a great sideman and the Big Bad’a closing line was a joy.
8/10

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Which ones did you watch? I've only seen Parasite and Snowpiercer, but both were really good.
Been a while since I've seen it but Memories of Murder has loads of random dropkicks that made me burst out laughing. Incredible film too, probably even better than Parasite.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Been a while since I've seen it but Memories of Murder has loads of random dropkicks that made me burst out laughing. Incredible film too, probably even better than Parasite.
There’s one guy that just dropkicks everyone :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I should get serious about looking up his stuff. :)

In the meantime, I watched The Equalizer yesterday. A gritty action thriller about some special services guy who has retired and gets back in on the action to help people in his neighbourhood fight crime and corruption - or the Russian mob, in this case specifically (it's based on an 80s series). Directed by Anthony Fuqua and starring Denzel Washington, it's a well made thriller. Not particularly memorable or anything, but it will work if you feel like watching something in this genre.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Free Guy

Great fun, cool concept for a film, and very well executed. Ryan Reynolds pretty much plays the character you expect him to. Jodie Comer is excellent. Lots of cool cameos, some I spotted, and some you'll probably have no idea it was them until you read about it afterwards.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Toll Dark, comedy, crime thriller of sorts. Lots I liked about it including setting it in wales but the spaghetti western bit at the end didn't work and too many bits didn't really hang together as well as they should have done. Still worth a watch 6/10

The Mitchell's vs The Machines
Despite the plot being rather formulaic Sony pull this one off. It is far more charming and far funnier than it sounds. The dog steals the show though with by far the best laughs. Undemanding family fare but if you are in the mood for a totally undemanding laugh it could be for you. 7.5/10

Supernova
A film you want to like and one that has some very good performances, Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci as the central couple primarily, but in the end you wonder why you bothered. More like watching a good acting class than a good movie 5/10

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bride Wars
Anne Hathaway's face really scares me. An average film, slightly elevated by the fact that these types of films aren't made much these days. Not a bad one to watch for a couple of laughs 5/10

He's All That

A modern day take on She's All That, which I haven't seen. This was awful, stupid plot, heavy handed themes and disgraceful acting from the lead girl and the guy (Robbie from Cobra Kai). It was fun in a "so bad it's funny" kind of way. There were maybe two points I laughed at, very gently. Train wreck of a movie 2/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
We talking about Bong Joon Ho? Memories of Murder is a fun watch. Parasite is a good social drama until it decides to be silly. The Host is meh. Snowpiercer is rubbish.

Anyway here's a review of a film I watched recently...

Colorful (2010)

A pleasant and reflective film; sort of like an animated version of After Life.

It’s about a teenage boy – Makoto – who tries to kill himself but is brought back to the world of the living for one last chance, surfacing inside another boy’s body and told to redeem himself. Tensions rise as he attempts to rediscover meaning, both for himself personally and towards his relationship with friends and family.

The first half is especially good as it touches on weighty topics like death and how disappointing other people generally are. The second half shows onto Makoto’s attempted reformation; focusing on how he relearns to enjoy everyday moments again, things like developing friendship and buying sneakers at 60% off.

I also really like how it presents a realistic account of the struggle from moving on from past mistakes. In spite of its animated style, it makes some assured points about coming to terms with who you are, only becoming standardly melodramatic towards its close. Though darker in tone, the seriousness reminded me of Only Yesterday.

Highly recommended for fans of reflective drama, anime or otherwise.

Verdict: Good

You can find it on any of the many anime streaming websites.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yesterday. A Danny Boyle romantic comedy in which an unsuccessful singer-songwriter gets into an alternative world where The Beatles never existed, and becomes very successful playing their songs.

It's a really funny movie, but the story is crap. They don't much work out the concept, and things just kinda keep happening, without being really developed or motivated. For example, there is a metal breakdown of sorts, but the main character's personality or motivation isn't really developed at all. Still a fun watch though, but not something to try and think about afterwards.

nickyboy1981

Calibre

Watched this Netflix original last night. Really enjoyed it. I had a knot in my stomach all the way through, really tense.

I kept expecting the film to fall apart but it didn't, the ending was OK in my opinion and where it really could have fell apart.

All in all, a very good watch

8/10

Old Ma Crow

Calibre

Watched this Netflix original last night. Really enjoyed it. I had a knot in my stomach all the way through, really tense.

I kept expecting the film to fall apart but it didn't, the ending was OK in my opinion and where it really could have fell apart.

8/10
Yeah it was better than I expected it to be. A breath of fresh air a bit like A Lonely Place to Die was at the time.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Calibre

8/10
I love this movie. So tense.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Calibre

8/10
What's it about?

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The Salvation - Western revenge thriller with an all-star cast of Mads Mikkelsen, Eva Green, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and, er, Eric Cantona. It's Eric Cantona as a gunslinger in the wild west, there's no rating that accurately captures how magnificent that is and there's nothing else you need to know.

A Quiet Place 2 - As much as I dislike John Krasinski, he knows how to make a decent horror. The first was much better, but this was still decent enough if you liked the first.

The Dead Don't Die - Adam Driver and Bill Murray star as two small-town cops during a zombie outbreak. Despite all that, it's kinda rubbish.

AaronRedDevil

Going to watch Once upon a time in America later. 3hrs and 50 mins. Going to be a slog. Hope it’ll be great.

......eh

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've not seen

I've not seen that, is it worth a watch?
Search the thread for Calibre - everyone that's seen it likes it. You can check a trailer to get a bit more idea of the story and genre. (I haven't watched it myself because of the latter.)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
F9: Fast and Furious Saga

An absolute waste of time and ridiculous enough to make Sharknado feel smart. Decent popcorn entertainment, but get ready to lower your IQ to 0. Dumb movie.

1/10.

Gunpowder Milkshake

All style and no substance. Still not really boring to watch. Lots of GunFu fights. Good watch if you're bored.

5/10

pauldyson1uk

Demonic

A young woman unleashes terrifying demons when supernatural forces at the root of a decades-old rift between mother and daughter are ruthlessly revealed.

Yet another crappy possession film, went off on a tangent this one, part of it was set in VR.
Same outcome, did nothing new, the demons were not scary, in fact nothing about it was scary.

3/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
What's it about?
2 lads go deer hunting in Scotland..
And then they meet @Mr Pigeon and shit goes down
Going to watch Once upon a time in America later. 3hrs and 50 mins. Going to be a slog. Hope it’ll be great.

......eh
Did you watch it? I re-watched it during lockdown last year on a rainy Sunday afternoon, it's absolutely fantastic, a masterpiece. The rape scene makes for difficult viewing, but overall just a gorgeous film.

AaronRedDevil

And then they meet @Mr Pigeon and shit goes down

Did you watch it? I re-watched it during lockdown last year on a rainy Sunday afternoon, it's absolutely fantastic, a masterpiece. The rape scene makes for difficult viewing, but overall just a gorgeous film.
Thought the first half was good. But then just kinda lost interest in the second half. It was a bit too long for me and there's nothing happening most of the time. Rape scene didn't really bothered me as I I think she wanted it, hopped up on the moment and enjoyed it. Which she kinda did when she met the fellas again, she wasn't fazed. Thought it was an ok movie. The ending kinda confused me though, the garbage truck scene. Did he just jump into it or was it all an illusion.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Scary House (The Strange House on Netflix)
A family move across the country to a small village and the two young sons discover that the house is haunted be a vengeful spirit. Despite the cliche logline, this actually started off quite good and I was looking forward to a decently scary horror but instead, it becomes a kid-detective style mystery. I wouldn't mind this normally but you can guess the twists pretty easily, taking away any joy the movie might have posed if it stuck to horror 4/10

Initiation

Whiton University unravels the night a star-athlete is murdered, kicking off a spree of social media slayings that force students to uncover the truth behind the school's hidden secrets. Typical sorority themed affair. They try to keep you guessing who the murderer is but they didn't factor in that nobody will give a shit as all the characters are cardboard cutouts. At least there were some gruesome kills and a really funny one where a guy, who is literally in the middle of a search around campus for the killer, stops to have a quick wank and then is attacked by the killer :lol: Dumb movie but it has its moments 4/10

Fear Of Rain

A schizophrenic girl is convinced that her neighbour is keeping a missing girl captive. Another movie that massively relies on its twist, which you can see coming a mile away, which then derails the entire film. Once the twist is revealed, I just rolled my eyes. With that said, the acting was pretty good and I was not bored through its short run time 6/10