Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I remember seeing it in the cinema at the time and 18 year old me was totally blown away by some of the single shot sequences, stunning film. And single shots have become pretty popular lately but I still don't think any have done them as well, especially the car chase scene.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Calibre

Watched this Netflix original last night. Really enjoyed it. I had a knot in my stomach all the way through, really tense.

I kept expecting the film to fall apart but it didn't, the ending was OK in my opinion and where it really could have fell apart.

All in all, a very good watch

8/10
Cracking film

Sweet Square

Yeah absolutely in my top 5/10, it's a great film. I knew immediately when I saw it that it would be a film that would age perfectly.
Amazing film. Also one of the most realistic dystopias I have ever seen.
It's one of the few films that gets more relevant as time goes by(Which seems to be a bad thing for us lot in the real world).

Mark Fisher wrote a great article on Children Of Men and how it stands out from other dystopias. '''The film is dominated by the sense that the damage has been done. The catastrophe is neither waiting down the road, nor has it already happened. Rather, it is being lived through. There is no punctual moment of disaster; the world doesn't end with a bang, it winks out, unravels, gradually falls apart'' and Children Of Men shows us ''Contrary to neo-liberal fantasy, there is no withering away of the State, only a stripping back of the State to its core military and police functions. In this world, as in ours, ultra-authoritarianism and Capital are by no means incompatible: internment camps and franchise coffee bars co-exist''. Would also add in Slavoj Žižek comments on how the films puts forward a society without history.

From the interviews I've seen while it's clear Cuaron was looking towards the future, he talked about the influence of John Gray, Naomi Klein and Fukuyama(The Britain in Children Of Men is on some level still a democracy which is another departure from other dystopian). Curaon has always said that everything in the film was happening in 2006. It wasn't really predicting anything more highlighting the crisis at the time which has no expanded to more people.

Amazing piece of film making and along with random BMW commercial directed by Wong Kar Wai, it's the only Clive Owen film I like.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Runner Runner

Classy film about the shady world of affiliate Poker. Justin Timberlake, Ben Affleck and the gorgeous Gemma Arteton who are all fantastic. Pretty negative reviews but I found it well worth 90 minutes.

Really worth a watch if scratching around for a quickie film which is fast paced.

7/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's one of the few films that gets more relevant as time goes by(Which seems to be a bad thing for us lot in the real world).

Mark Fisher wrote a great article on Children Of Men and how it stands out from other dystopias. '''The film is dominated by the sense that the damage has been done. The catastrophe is neither waiting down the road, nor has it already happened. Rather, it is being lived through. There is no punctual moment of disaster; the world doesn't end with a bang, it winks out, unravels, gradually falls apart'' and Children Of Men shows us ''Contrary to neo-liberal fantasy, there is no withering away of the State, only a stripping back of the State to its core military and police functions. In this world, as in ours, ultra-authoritarianism and Capital are by no means incompatible: internment camps and franchise coffee bars co-exist''. Would also add in Slavoj Žižek comments on how the films puts forward a society without history.

From the interviews I've seen while it's clear Cuaron was looking towards the future, he talked about the influence of John Gray, Naomi Klein and Fukuyama(The Britain in Children Of Men is on some level still a democracy which is another departure from other dystopian). Curaon has always said that everything in the film was happening in 2006. It wasn't really predicting anything more highlighting the crisis at the time which has no expanded to more people.

Amazing piece of film making and along with random BMW commercial directed by Wong Kar Wai, it's the only Clive Owen film I like.
Yeah, it's not sci-fi, more like an alternate reality where several things that might happen to us in the future have already taken place.

Not a Clive Owen fan then? I haven't seen most of his films, but I did like Duplicity and The Inside Man, and The International and even Shoot Em Up were enjoyable as well. Oh, and Anon! I think that was pretty good actually, if I remember correctly.

caid

The Green Knight
Was brilliant. Very weird, very trippy, very slow. Its going to get loads of 1 star reviews and many, many people will hate it but if you're sick of Marvel and want real cinema then watch this. Never seen anything quite like it.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Fear Street Part 1: 1994. I thought this film was supposed to be good? 4/10

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Green Knight
Was brilliant. Very weird, very trippy, very slow. Its going to get loads of 1 star reviews and many, many people will hate it but if you're sick of Marvel and want real cinema then watch this. Never seen anything quite like it.
I had a choice between watching this or Suicide Squad at a “movie night” at a friend’s house. I made the wrong choice.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Soul Reaper
A group of friends meet up at a cabin to celebrate one of them getting engaged. Soon, they are murdered one by one. Absolutely awful. For about 75 minutes of it's 90 minute run time, I though it was hilariously bad yet somehow, it managed to get even worse for the finale, to the point where I looked in the mirror and asked myself, "what am I doing with my life?" Safe to say, my wife was pissed at me for picking it. This is the film equivalent of Atomic Kitten - Football's Coming Home Again 1/10

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I had a choice between watching this or Suicide Squad at a “movie night” at a friend’s house. I made the wrong choice.
The Suicide Squad (new not old) is brilliant and I will rewatch it high one day. It’s a lot of fun and I generally hate that type of movie.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Suicide Squad (new not old) is brilliant and I will rewatch it high one day. It’s a lot of fun and I generally hate that type of movie.
It was ok. Had some very funny parts but the pacing was all over the place. Way too long and full of redundant scenes. It’s possible I would have a different opinion if I was to watch it again sober but I doubt it.

caid

It was a tough sell, that’s for sure!

We were all also planning on putting away a load of edibles. So a movie like Green Knight could have gone badly wrong.

As it turned out, so did Suicide Squad…
Oh it would have been brilliant with them. It feels trippy as hell without
It'll be a marmite film though. Hard to hear dialogue in old english, zero action scenes, not in the slightest bit faithful adaptation of the myth, very, very slow and weird as hell. But then the shots and cinematography are incredible. The setting, environments and costumes are all great - its a really beautiful film. The acting is very good and its really unique and interesting. It'll be stuck in my head for months.
Cinema nerds should love this, it feels like it was made especially for them.
Great soundtrack and score too.

Last edited:

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Cruella

Settled down for two hours of family time with a promise of not picking it apart and ruining it for everyone else, but it was actually quite good

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Watching the masterpiece that is fast and furious 7. It's amazing how well actors can act as if they have never acted before.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah absolutely in my top 5/10, it's a great film. I knew immediately when I saw it that it would be a film that would age perfectly.
I liked it far more when it came out than when I recently watched it again. Doesn't do much for me at all now which was unexpected.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Devil Below
A group of four amateur adventurers who specialize in exploring remote and forsaken places pay a visit to Shookum Hills, a town in the remote Appalachian Mountains, which was abandoned decades ago due to a mysterious coal mine fire. Soon, they realize, there is something far more sinister down there. Well shot for a low budget movie, made some smart moves to create a creature feature where the creatures don't look too bad. Doesn't really break any new ground but it was decent and only about 90 minutes, which is nice 5.5/10

SmashedHombre

Kate - Generic, underdeveloped chatacers; forced, hammy emotional scenes and clumsy, clogging attempts at action make for a very forgettable movie. Super disappointing as I was really looking forward to this release. Netflix, you've fooled me again.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Kate - Generic, underdeveloped chatacers; forced, hammy emotional scenes and clumsy, clogging attempts at action make for a very forgettable movie. Super disappointing as I was really looking forward to this release. Netflix, you've fooled me again.
Winstead is absolutely wasted in it. Terrible movie and a waste of time. Only redeeming moment was the start of the final fight and the use of ‘Girls It Ain’t Easy’ which is a banger.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Jurassic World. None of it makes much sense, but think of it as a brainless popcorn action movie, and it's a lot of fun.

AaronRedDevil

Netflix can't make good movie's unfortunately. There's probably about 10 good movies out of the hundreds they've done.

caid

Netflix can't make good movie's unfortunately. There's probably about 10 good movies out of the hundreds they've done.
Do they even have 10 good movies?
I'm struggling after Beasts of No Nation and I'm not sure they even made that

AaronRedDevil

Do they even have 10 good movies?
I'm struggling after Beasts of No Nation and I'm not sure they even made that
Only imo these are the good Netflix Originals. Beast of No Nation, Siege of Jadotville, The babysitters, Da 5 Bloods, Triple Frontier, Uncut Gems, Marriage Story, Extraction, Mowgli, Trial of the Chicago 7, Project Power, The Devil all the Time. Just what I can name off the top of my head.

caid

Only imo these are the good Netflix Originals. Beast of No Nation, Siege of Jadotville, The babysitters, Da 5 Bloods, Triple Frontier, Uncut Gems, Marriage Story, Extraction, Mowgli, Trial of the Chicago 7, Project Power, The Devil all the Time. Just what I can name off the top of my head.
Ah yeah, Marriage Story and Uncut Gems were very good too. Dont think i've seen a lot of the others, ill have to check them out.

AaronRedDevil

Ah yeah, Marriage Story and Uncut Gems were very good too. Dont think i've seen a lot of the others, ill have to check them out.
They are very good movies. Devil all the time is a bit of a weird one but it’s solid.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Project Power? I thought that was quite poor. I wouldn't call Extraction or Triple Frontier really good movies either. I would add Roma, Mank, The Irishman, War Machine, and Okja though. And everyone on here is saying Calibre is good as well. I also liked The Boy Who Harassed The Wind, but maybe more for the story. And there is probably more outside the films they list on my front-page.

I wouldn't say Netflix makes bad movies on the whole. Compared to any major film studio, it just seems their threshold for greenlighting a project is pretty low, which skews the good:bad ratio. But Netflix can afford doing that: there is a market among their viewers also for cheap crap in every genre. A film studio doesn't have that luxury: they're not guaranteed an outlet for poor product.

Last edited:

caid

I've actually seen most of them now i look. They were watchable in most cases but good is fairly generous. Siege of Jadotville was quite good and i haven't seen their film on the Chicago 7 so cant comment on that. Cheimoon list looks a bit stronger but didn't rate the Irishman at all and haven't seen War Machine.
I'd say Calibre is worth a watch, its a decent movie but i wouldn't say it was more than that.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I'm just reading the screenplay for this at the moment and will watch the film once I'm done reading it. Shame if it's bad because the screenplay is pretty good, although the writing style is a bit thin.

SmashedHombre

I'm just reading the screenplay for this at the moment and will watch the film once I'm done reading it. Shame if it's bad because the screenplay is pretty good, although the writing style is a bit thin.
That's kinda cool. How and why are you reading it? It's honestly just not a good movie. I had been looking forward to watching it for ages and was fully prepared to exaggerate how good it was but in reality I was super disappointed.

I also like that one with the army dudes fighting ghosts, but can't for the life of me remember its name. But even their best isn't exactly a steller list. it's odd how much money Netflix is willing to throw at mediocrity.

hungrywing

...I also like that one with the army dudes fighting ghosts, but can't for the life of me remember its name. But even their best isn't exactly a steller list. it's odd how much money Netflix is willing to throw at mediocrity.

The 'scattergun' approach is based on their need for content but also on the way that they use their algorithms to gauge projects: People who like #ghosts and #spec ops and #wispy special effects and #call of duty will like this! Greenlit! Go!

Also they're still largely relegated to trawling the direct-to-video range of scripts available at market.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I've actually seen most of them now i look. They were watchable in most cases but good is fairly generous. Siege of Jadotville was quite good and i haven't seen their film on the Chicago 7 so cant comment on that. Cheimoon list looks a bit stronger but didn't rate the Irishman at all and haven't seen War Machine.
I'd say Calibre is worth a watch, its a decent movie but i wouldn't say it was more than that.
Yeah, I was actually pretty critical of The Irishman myself after watching it. Clearly over average I'd say, but for something really good, I think Scorsese should've either turned it into a miniseries (and work out various plot elements better) or make it shorter (and remove those plot elements altogether). Also agreed on Jadotville being good but not great. Chicago 7 I'd really recommend though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
That's kinda cool. How and why are you reading it? It's honestly just not a good movie. I had been looking forward to watching it for ages and was fully prepared to exaggerate how good it was but in reality I was super disappointed.
I write horror screenplays in my spare time so I found a good way to learn more about the craft is to read horror screenplays after I see the movie.

However, I wanted to experience watching a movie after I read the screenplay first and as Kate was getting a lot of attention in screenwriting communities due to the way it was written, plus the fact that I didn't expect it to be heavily plot driven, I thought I'd read this and then see how the film turns out.

From my time reading horror scripts, one thing I've noticed is that the ending of horror screenplays always change when you watch the movie... Most horror scripts have really dark, depressing endings but the movie version tends to end on a more positive note.