Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Moriarty

Battle of Britain (1969). An all-star cast coupled with epic aerial action make this a good flick for aviation buffs. They managed to assemble a large number of Spitfires, a few Hurricanes, some Spanish-built Heinkel III's and Bf-109s and filmed in the blue skies of Spain. There's a wholly unnecessary romance, but as it involves Susannah York, who cares. Based on the book 'The Narrow Margin' the film manages to be quite well-balanced and fair to both sides of the battle and the German dialogue is subtitled. One tale about the making of the film involves a Czech pilot who actually fought in the battle. Viewing some of the action, he became quite upset at how casual the pilots were in their maneuvers. He pointed out that in the battle, airmen were fighting for their lives and that more intensity was needed. The director - Guy Hamilton - agreed and the results are quite splendid.

Unam333

Amelie

Not seen this for years and watched it last night, what a great film. A film by Jean-Pierre Jeunet depicting the life of a young woman, who although is herself quiet and shy spends her time setting scenarios up to make those around her happy. It's such a lovely film and reminded me why I had a massive crush on Audrey Tatou. It's one of those films that you could press pause almost at any point and you'd get an awesomely composed picture.

10/10
Yes, great movie and lovely soundtrack as well. I loved Audrey Tautou so much, I immediately purchased 'Un Long Dimanche de Fiançaille' on dvd.

The Voyeurs

Pippa and Thomas move into their dream apartment, they notice that their windows look directly into the apartment opposite, this will set in motion a chain of events that will lead to disaster.
A very nice Amazon film, with a good twist at the end

6/10
Sounds promising. Will check it out. Thanks.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
:lol:
I don't always agree but I love reading Wibble's takes on movies.
You should hear my wife's opinion. She is from Belfast and about the same age as Branagh and she was amazed to hear he had ever been there much less lived there until he was 9. It seemed like he imagined it from stories told to him by his parents.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Munich : The Edge of War

From Wiki : Set in the fall of 1938, Hitler prepares to invade Czechoslovakia, and the government of Neville Chamberlain desperately seeks a peaceful solution. A British civil servant and a German diplomat, former classmates, travel to Munich to discuss peace.

A new Netflix original based on the 2017 book "Munich" by Robert Harris. Relatively well written and acted with good cinematography and production design. Jeremy Irons plays a pretty good Chamberlain and Ulrich Mathhes plays a somewhat creepy and maniacal Hitler. The film meanders in and out of English and subtitled German and also features August Diehl, who rather predictably plays an SS officer. Good period piece if that's your thing.

8/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Munich : The Edge of War

From Wiki : Set in the fall of 1938, Hitler prepares to invade Czechoslovakia, and the government of Neville Chamberlain desperately seeks a peaceful solution. A British civil servant and a German diplomat, former classmates, travel to Munich to discuss peace.

A new Netflix original based on the 2017 book "Munich" by Robert Harris. Relatively well written and acted with good cinematography and production design. Jeremy Irons plays a pretty good Chamberlain and Ulrich Mathhes plays a somewhat creepy and maniacal Hitler. The film meanders in and out of English and subtitled German and also features August Diehl, who rather predictably plays an SS officer. Good period piece if that's your thing.

8/10

Thanks for this, it’s in my queue & will now be moved to the front of the line.

AaronRedDevil

Yeah it was particularly timely given Macron attempting to play Chamberlain with Putin lately.
I like it when they make a movie that's slow but gripping. Unlike power of the dog thats slow and boring as feck.

TheReligion

Abusive
Has anyone seen Silver Linings Playbook?

I just randomly watched it and found it very enjoyable. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert Di Niro and Chris Tucker all star and shine.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Has anyone seen Silver Linings Playbook?

I just randomly watched it and found it very enjoyable. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert Di Niro and Chris Tucker all star and shine.
Yeah, great film. Enjoyable drama and lots of fun as well, if I remember correctly. Didn't it win the oscar for best film? (No actually, lots of nominations but only Jennifer Lawrence won, for best actress.)

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Resident Evil: Welcome To Racoon City
Preferred this to all the Mila Jovovic entries, it at least stayed faithful to the games and visually looked interesting, making Racoon City feel like a character in and of itself. The gore was "dumb fun" kinda gore, which works fine for this movie. I just wish they spent a bit more time on the script and characterization but at the end of the day, it's a video game movie and it delivered on what I wanted, which was a dark atmosphere and lost of fun zombie gore. Talking of... the monsters/zombies actually felt threatening, which is a nice change from something like The Walking Dead 7/10

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Preferred this to all the Mila Jovovic entries, it at least stayed faithful to the games and visually looked interesting, making Racoon City feel like a character in and of itself. The gore was "dumb fun" kinda gore, which works fine for this movie. I just wish they spent a bit more time on the script and characterization but at the end of the day, it's a video game movie and it delivered on what I wanted, which was a dark atmosphere and lost of fun zombie gore. Talking of... the monsters/zombies actually felt threatening, which is a nice change from something like The Walking Dead 7/10
Interesting. Mark Kermode, who fecking haaaaaated every other movie in this series, gave this a good review. It’s going on my list.

pauldyson1uk

Not a fan of the Resident Evil films, but given your review I will give this a watch, never played the game maybe I needed too.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Interesting. Mark Kermode, who fecking haaaaaated every other movie in this series, gave this a good review. It’s going on my list.
Don't go in expecting anything amazing but it is what it needs to be. Whereas the older ones were just stupid action movies with the director trying to make his wife look cool and turn her into an action star :lol: This is just a fun little horror movie. I'd put it on the same level as something like the first Silent Hill movie. Although Silent Hill was probably a shade better.

Not a fan of the Resident Evil films, but given your review I will give this a watch, never played the game maybe I needed too.
You don't technically need to play the game but there are a tonne of references to the game, including camera angles! I was really enjoying that... maybe that's why I enjoyed the movie :lol:

pauldyson1uk

Don't go in expecting anything amazing but it is what it needs to be. Whereas the older ones were just stupid action movies with the director trying to make his wife look cool and turn her into an action star :lol: This is just a fun little horror movie. I'd put it on the same level as something like the first Silent Hill movie. Although Silent Hill was probably a shade better.

You don't technically need to play the game but there are a tonne of references to the game, including camera angles! I was really enjoying that... maybe that's why I enjoyed the movie :lol:
I like Silent Hill, so I will defiantly give it a watch.

Superunknown

I've got interesting memories of that Silent Hill film. I used to suffer from terrible insomnia about 7 or 8 years ago. I have memories of going down into my living room and putting this on, as a sort of 'comfort' film. This and 28 Days Later, and one or two other films. For some reason, it helped. I'm not even sure why I tried this particular film, maybe because I just happened to have the DVD at hand. It almost became a routine at one time, and I'm pretty sure there was a period of about 2 weeks where I watched this film every night because I couldn't sleep.

The irony is that I've never seen it all the way through in one sitting. :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I've got interesting memories of that Silent Hill film. I used to suffer from terrible insomnia about 7 or 8 years ago. I have memories of going down into my living room and putting this on, as a sort of 'comfort' film. This and 28 Days Later, and one or two other films. For some reason, it helped. I'm not even sure why I tried this particular film, maybe because I just happened to have the DVD at hand. It almost became a routine at one time, and I'm pretty sure there was a period of about 2 weeks where I watched this film every night because I couldn't sleep.

The irony is that I've never seen it all the way through in one sitting. :lol:
What a twist ending to your story :lol:

I have the same thing with Arctic Monkeys latest album. I love it but every time I listen, I fall asleep... Never listened through it the whole way through even once!

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
You should hear my wife's opinion. She is from Belfast and about the same age as Branagh and she was amazed to hear he had ever been there much less lived there until he was 9. It seemed like he imagined it from stories told to him by his parents.
The black and white definitely reinforces the bolded. Glad to hear you and your wife's opinions, I'll avoid it!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The black and white definitely reinforces the bolded. Glad to hear you and your wife's opinions, I'll avoid it!
Lots of the detail also didn't ring true starting with the spotless streets with none of the kerbs painted in sectarian colours.

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The kingsman,

it is what it is stupid entertainment, what I can’t get my head around is the the big bad guy reveal, why wait till the end to reveal him when anyone with half a brain would of got it, a decent actor who’s in a nothing role it’s obviously him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The Foreigner, 7/10
Just watched this and would agree with the 7/10. Surprisingly watchable, although Jackie Chan's character really challenged one's suspension of disbelief of being a 60 something guy who could beat up rooms full of goons.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Dating Amber. An Irish comedy/drama from 2020 set in 1995 small-town Ireland, where a lesbian girl and gay boy near the end of school try to hide their true self due to the rampant homophobia in town. They then figure that they can silence people if they just start dating each other - but the boy is still in denial about his sexuality and the girl has bigger aims.

A good film. Not very special (although the angle was new to me),but it was funny and touching and confrontational. Or at least, seeing that town's attitude was painful; I hope it was exaggerated... I'd recommend this - 8/10 for teenage dramas.

Big Hero 6. A Disney animated film from 2014 based on a pretty unknown Marvel comic. A group of teenage/early 20s(?) robotics experts teams up to fight someone that's stolen their technology for his evil plans. It's a lot of fun if you're into Disney animations: funny, a lot of action, some emotional moments - and no bigger message this time. Think Zootopia (not Frozen). I'd give this 8/10 among equivalent animated movies. I wonder why these kids-oriented movies must always have someone important die early on though. It's hard on my kids every time!

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Been on a binge of Horror-Comedies recently.

Vicious Fun: A horror fanatic inadvertently finds himself at a serial-killers anonymous meeting. Things get gory from there as he does his very best to not get serial-killed. I enjoyed this a lot. The leads were great and clearly enjoyed themselves. The movie doesn't pretend to be anything it's not and has exactly the type of humor you would imagine between an awkward teenage boy and a bad-ass, leather-clad femme fatale. 7/10

Werewolves Within:
A park ranger finds himself stationed in an odd little Alaskan (I think) town. During a snowstorm, the townsfolk come together to shelter in the local hotel. Only people soon start turning up mauled... Again, good blend of humor and horror with some perfectly cliched characters. Though more of a 'whodunnit', it does have some gore and is another movie you can tell the actors enjoyed themsleves. Solid 6.5/10

The Boys From County Hell:
Some good ol' Irish construction workers accidentally dig up a long-buried vampire and suddenly find themselves fighting to save their town. For me, the funniest film of the lot. A lot of potential with it but perhaps suffered a little from its low budget. But also definitely worth a watch. It's pretty much how I imagine the Irish would respond to an immortal vampire attack. 6.5/10

Slaxx:
I don't even know what to say about this. A pair of jeans starts murdering people in a clothing store. I mean, that's the plot. There may have been more to it. There are suggestions the writer may have been trying to hide some hidden message about the horrors of fast-fashion. But I don't think so. I think they really did just want to make a movie about killer jeans. It's bizarrely watchable if you are willing to accept it's a movie about jeans that butcher people and drink their blood. The effects are awful, the characters are odd, the concept is weird. I enjoyed it. 5.5/10

GueRed

Young Guns (1988) - Watched this recently for the first time in a while.
An adrenaline ride from start to finish... following Billy the Kid (Emilio Estevez) and his gang.
Apparently typically Hollywood it's riddled with historical inaccuracies. At least it's entertaining..

Up there with 3:10 to Yuma and Tombstone as my fave Westerns

7/10

AaronRedDevil

The Eight Hundred.

The Eight Hundred depicts the legendary defence of the Sihang warehouse in Shanghai, where, in 1937, an isolated battalion of Chinese soldiers held out against the invading Japanese for four days.
One of the best war movies I’ve seen since Saving Private Ryan. While not historically accurate. It’s Just brilliantly done and batshit crazy battles in the movie. Very entertaining and tense when the Japanese forces starting to attack. Perfect if you like War movies, you should check this out. 9/10.

GueRed

The Eight Hundred.

The Eight Hundred depicts the legendary defence of the Sihang warehouse in Shanghai, where, in 1937, an isolated battalion of Chinese soldiers held out against the invading Japanese for four days.
One of the best war movies I’ve seen since Saving Private Ryan. While not historically accurate. It’s Just brilliantly done and batshit crazy battles in the movie. Very entertaining and tense when the Japanese forces starting to attack. Perfect if you like War movies, you should check this out. 9/10.
noted.

Love war movies. Will check it out

Suv666

The Last Duel 8/10
Loved it. Pity it was a box office bomb. Ben Affleck as the king looked out of place though, not the best casting choice imo

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Boiling Point
Stephen Graham stars as a head chef that is under pressure personally and professionally. We follow him and his team on an extremely busy night in his high class restaurant. Shot as a "oner", this movie had me stressed out! The high intensity restaurant setting, characters that are emotionally on the edge, the "oner" making you feel like you're in the kitchen with them (rather than used as a gimmick), Stephen Graham on the brink of explosion (if you have seen This Is England, you'll know how scary he can be) etc.

Movies like this remind me why I love cinema and why I go through so much bullshit to find hidden gems 9/10

pauldyson1uk

Exorcist Vengeance

A tough priest with a troubled past is called to root out a murderous demon from a household of suspects.
Possession films are my favourite, but seeing a good one is hard, should have known the gun carrying Charles Bronson look alike Priest, was not a good sign.
It was beyond dreadful, it played the possession rule book to its fullest.

1/10

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

The Midnight Sky

This post-apocalyptic tale follows Augustine, a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully and her fellow astronauts from returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe.
After reading the reviews, I was not expecting much, but I really enjoyed it, yeah it was a bit slow and yeah it could've been 30 mins shorter and lost nothing,.
Thought the story and acting were very good and I did not see the twist at the end coming.

7/10

pauldyson1uk

Peppermint

Five years after her husband and daughter are killed in a senseless act of violence, a woman comes back from self-imposed exile to seek revenge against those responsible and the system that let them go free.
This was was excellent, the story had been done to death, for me this is one of the better ones.
Jennifer Garner was brillant

7/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Starbuck. A Quebec comedy from 2011 about David (Patrick Huard) who's a bit of a failure in life, and then finds out that the sperm he used to donate has been used for hundreds of children, who'd now like to meet him. In the meantime, his girlfriend has kinda left him and now discovers she's pregnant.

The story is a little silly and the movie stalls a bit in the middle section - but otherwise it's quite good. A lot of the dialogues are hilarious (but I'm not sure how that comes across if you don't get the French), and Patrick Huard is good as always (in the films where I've seen him, anyway). Quite a lot of nice/moving scenes, too, where David secretly starts encountering his children. 7/10 for comedies.
The Midnight Sky

This post-apocalyptic tale follows Augustine, a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully and her fellow astronauts from returning home to a mysterious global catastrophe.
After reading the reviews, I was not expecting much, but I really enjoyed it, yeah it was a bit slow and yeah it could've been 30 mins shorter and lost nothing,.
Thought the story and acting were very good and I did not see the twist at the end coming.

7/10
This looked interesting to me at first, but then received horrible reviews and hence I have not seen it yet. Maybe I should bump it a bit in my list!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Kimi Nice tension filled thriller. Although technology is a key part of the plot the use of it is little more than a prop and in the end you feel that although well done, and unlike many modern films not bloated out to 2hrs+, there could have been so much more to this film. 7/10

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Kimi Nice tension filled thriller. Although technology is a key part of the plot the use of it is little more than a prop and in the end you feel that although well done, and unlike many modern films not bloated out to 2hrs+, there could have been so much more to this film. 7/10
Love me some Soderbergh. Glad to see this is being well received.