Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

DeGea’sFeet

Agreed! I was kinda hoping for an Alien 3 vibe, stripping right back to basics. Naru was already facing her 'initiation'. It would have made more sense for the Predator to be doing the same. Like a Predator origins story and what they do to become a proper Predator, having to do their first kill unarmed or something.

That would make a great story.....two warriors from a different background, facing their first test against each other.
I was hoping the hunt to victory would have involved more team work. When you think about it that’s the main strength of humans, especially the further back in time you go. They alluded to that herb lowering body temperature, I thought in the end 2-3 of the tribe would take it and the pred would basically end up fighting blind and get killed like that, and they’d use hunting tactics against it

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Overall I think it needed to have more primeval edge to it. The characters were just so flat and uninteresting. Just looked like they were all just playing dress-up.

Put this story in the hands of another young-ish director, say Eggers, and it'll be 90% better.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Irrestible. A political satire by Jon Stewart. The Democrats and Republicans descend in full force on a small town in Wisconsin for its mayoral election after the Democrats have decided that some local ex-marine might be their way back to winning rural votes. I saw that it got really poor reviews, but I thought it was quite funny and did a good job of displaying a lot of the issues with US politics and elections. Yeah, nothing particularly new, but then what can you really still say about that that hasn't been said before? Anyway, I liked it - 8/10.

caid

Overall I think it needed to have more primeval edge to it. The characters were just so flat and uninteresting. Just looked like they were all just playing dress-up.

Put this story in the hands of another young-ish director, say Eggers, and it'll be 90% better.
I thought it was fine, which is a pleasant surprise to be honest. I kind of feel like it could have been a solid coherent movie without the predator and it would have passed. The acting, characters, premise were all solid if uninteresting. It held together. Predator wandering around being cool drags it up to something worth watching.
But yeah, i'll have forgotten it in a year and if im looking for a predator fix i'll be going back to the first or a bit less often the second. I'd say its the best movie since them though

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Dersu Uzala
what a great fecking movie, a masterpiece and some of the messages rings even more true now then it did then.

Go watch it if you can

10/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Uncharted
Haven't played the games so no idea if this is accurate but what an utter pile of wank. The only saving grace is some good action set pieces but beyond that, wasnt fun at all and a shame because Sonic showed that videogame movies can be fun 4/10

Sweet Square

The Illusionist(2010)

Enjoyable french animation. Reminded me of reading Roald Dahl books, even the style had of Quentin Blake feel to it.

Worth watching

8/10

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Uncharted
Haven't played the games so no idea if this is accurate but what an utter pile of wank. The only saving grace is some good action set pieces but beyond that, wasnt fun at all and a shame because Sonic showed that videogame movies can be fun 4/10
The worst part is it wasn’t even faithful to the games, it was just a generic by-the-numbers action film. Chloe was cast well but that is one of the few redeeming factors.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
No Country for Old Men I am a Cohen brothers fan but when this came out I only got half way through and for some reason never returned. I watched it to the end last Saturday and still didn't love it. Some great performances but I just didn't care about any of the characters. And Llewelyn's death and the final scenes weren't at all satisfying. Some great performances but .... 7/10

Red the Bear

Something less generic
No Country for Old Men I am a Cohen brothers fan but when this came out I only got half way through and for some reason never returned. I watched it to the end last Saturday and still didn't love it. Some great performances but I just didn't care about any of the characters. And Llewelyn's death and the final scenes weren't at all satisfying. Some great performances but .... 7/10
I recommend that you read the book, it's very terse and minimalistic and just a great book, you might like it better.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I do like Cormac McCarthy so I might give it a go.
It's a bit different from his previously work and slightly differs from the movie, I think you're gonna like it.

Also the protagonist is actually the sheriff so if you see it that way it might change your assessment of the movie and the book but I think it was the intended interpretation.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's a bit different from his previously work and slightly differs from the movie, I think you're gonna like it.

Also the protagonist is actually the sheriff so if you see it that way it might change your assessment of the movie and the book but I think it was the intended interpretation.
I saw that the writing style was different than usual as he originally wrote it as a film script then converted it to a novel. Maybe why I haven't tried reading it yet but sounds like it is worth a go. I think the film would have been better if TLJ was the protagonists/narrator and at the very least would have made the end seem less tacked on.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
How did the Predator get hold of the same gun that the Predator leader gave to Danny Glover in Predator 2?
Only way that predator gets that gun and keeps it, is as a trophy. So if they have it, they went back and killed her. I guess thats what happens when you want to put dumb memberberries in a movie, but don't think it all the way through.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
I saw that the writing style was different than usual as he originally wrote it as a film script then converted it to a novel. Maybe why I haven't tried reading it yet but sounds like it is worth a go. I think the film would have been better if TLJ was the protagonists/narrator and at the very least would have made the end seem less tacked on.
I didn’t appreciate the film fully until I watched it through the eyes of the Sheriff instead of Llewelyn; now it’s one of my favorites. The “that’s vanity” convo with the other old man really hits me for some reason, along with TLJ’s dreams.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Only way that predator gets that gun and keeps it, is as a trophy. So if they have it, they went back and killed her. I guess thats what happens when you want to put dumb memberberries in a movie, but don't think it all the way through.
I'm not sure what the lifespan of a Predator is but like you say, they go back and take Naru out, keeping the gun as a souvenir. The gun would have to be passed on, ending up in the hands of the Predator leader by some coincidence. Very convoluted!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I too am not particularly fond of the movie as while I think it's pretty good i don't think it must have been made by Cohen brothers, a more minimalist and rough western approach would have suited it better in my opinion .

The TLJ situation in the movie as far as I remember was faithful to the book , I agree that it seemed jarring , a more movie appropriate approach would have just done as you said.

I think it's trying to just show just how powerless we really are in the world and how inevitable fate and death (represented by chigorah) ate hence the name as the old man literally refers to TLJ .

In the end that's the point of controversy among folk as some simply won't like it and some will, I still think it works better in the book but I guess you'll find out on your own.

Norman Brownbutter

I'm not sure what the lifespan of a Predator is but like you say, they go back and take Naru out, keeping the gun as a souvenir. The gun would have to be passed on, ending up in the hands of the Predator leader by some coincidence. Very convoluted!
Predators or Yautjas, supposedly have a life span in the thousands. So either that Predator kills her in some brutal fashion and takes the pistol as a trophy, or she gives it to someone else and the Predator kills them in some brutal fashion. Or....yes, convoluted. And since Predators have such a long live span that also begs the question, why does it look so different?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Predators or Yautjas, supposedly have a life span in the thousands. So either that Predator kills her in some brutal fashion and takes the pistol as a trophy, or she gives it to someone else and the Predator kills them in some brutal fashion. Or....yes, convoluted. And since Predators have such a long live span that also begs the question, why does it look so different?
I didn't know they lived that long. The more we dig, the more messy it gets. And yeah that's a valid point.

So following on from your theory, I'm guessing that Predator somehow worked his way through the ranks to be a leader of some sort when he arrived in Predator 2 but like you say, he looked completely different....unless that's how they look when they're 'very young', which could also explain his lack of combat nous. Perhaps he was like a teenager or 20-something equivalent?. And going back to my first point, the tech was more advanced in Prey than in the later films so that doesn't make sense either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The Lost City
Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum star in a comedy adventure about a writer and get cover model stopping some evil dude who wants to steal an ancient ruin, also featuring Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt. The trailer was excellent and I know the two leads (Bullock and especially Tatum) have comedy chops but the movie was just a bit meh... The cast are the only reason I kept watching but yeah, just kinda forgettable comedy romance movie 5/10
You know the plastic surgeon did his job well when you get cast as the love interest of dude's who are young enough to be your son.

AaronRedDevil

There’s an after credit scene where 3 predator ships show up. Guessing it doesn’t end well.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah, I don't love the movie either. It's a good film, no doubt about that, but could never get on board with all the hype. Plus I'm salty because it won the Oscar that year over There Will Be Blood, which is an infinitely better movie.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Uncharted
4/10 is generous.

Video game adaptations have a place, and are often wholly valid.

Buuuuuuut….. do Not insert video game physics/mechanics into movie adaptations unless you have magic to fall back on.

The plane scene could have dialled down fantasy and racheted up reality and had a far better scene, for the same cost. The leap/catches between tied on packages moving at several hundred mph out the back of a plane was madness.

That was the softest error. Many others were mental.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
4/10 is generous.

Video game adaptations have a place, and are often wholly valid.

Buuuuuuut….. do Not insert video game physics/mechanics into movie adaptations unless you have magic to fall back on.

The plane scene could have dialled down fantasy and racheted up reality and had a far better scene, for the same cost. The leap/catches between tied on packages moving at several hundred mph out the back of a plane was madness.

That was the softest error. Many others were mental.
I'm currently being generous as I've only been able to recently watch films after 4 months out :lol:

But in that scene where Holland catches the falling crate... how does his arm not dislocate? Why does he know martial arts? How does Marky Mark know how to pilot a helicopter helicopter?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Predators or Yautjas, supposedly have a life span in the thousands. So either that Predator kills her in some brutal fashion and takes the pistol as a trophy, or she gives it to someone else and the Predator kills them in some brutal fashion. Or....yes, convoluted. And since Predators have such a long live span that also begs the question, why does it look so different? [/spoiler]
Did it look THAT different? The mask, of course. Was the face underneath that different? Felt like Beagle versus Labrador. Not Alsatian versus Cat.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I'm currently being generous as I've only been able to recently watch films after 4 months out :lol:

But in that scene where Holland catches the falling crate... how does his arm not dislocate? Why does he know martial arts? How does Marky Mark know how to pilot a helicopter helicopter?
Thats exactly it. A video game adaptation is ok. But you’ve gotta pick between video game physics and real world physics.

If it’s the former, you need to acknowledge the setting I think.

Sidebar ::: Helicopters are complicated as Fcuk but I still reckon I could fly one. Male bravado ftw!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The Illusionist(2010)

Enjoyable french animation. Reminded me of reading Roald Dahl books, even the style had of Quentin Blake feel to it.

Worth watching

8/10
Yep, great animation.
I thoroughly recommend The Triplets of Belleville also directed by Sylvain Chomet.

Norman Brownbutter

Did it look THAT different? The mask, of course. Was the face underneath that different? Felt like Beagle versus Labrador. Not Alsatian versus Cat.

vs

Predator

Predator 2

Predators

Alien Vs Predator

As you can see, there is a distinct difference in appearance compared to all previous works that followed a similar look being no more different to how human faces differ. Jautja aren't dogs. There aren't different breeds. If you saw a human that looked that different you would assume industrial accident or genetic defect.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I found the Predator in PREY to look more Ogre-ish facially.
Either way, I generally like its design and performance.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The distance between the larger mandibles was huge compared to the other versions, making the face appear longer. It was definitely a lot different to the previous incarnations.

UnrelatedPsuedo

vs

Predator

Predator 2

Predators

Alien Vs Predator

As you can see, there is a distinct difference in appearance compared to all previous works that followed a similar look being no more different to how human faces differ. Jautja aren't dogs. There aren't different breeds. If you saw a human that looked that different you would assume industrial accident or genetic defect.
I mean, you’re more right than me. But they’re not that different.

I’m a 5’9” white guy. I look like a different species to Shaq, or Mo Farah.

There’s as much difference in humans as in those images. But again, yes, there is one outlier and it’s in Prey. I’ve not watched the older movies in a while.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Arsenault et Fils. Saw this in cinema just now. A film about a family of poachers in a small Quebec town near the New Brunswick and US borders who start feeling the heat from the police, who have long been looking for a way to arrest the entire family. Things get complicated when the younger sons returns and starts messing things up with his own schemes.

It's a family drama / thriller / heist film. I thought it was really good: entertaining story, good acting, lots of great shots. Nothing extravagant; I would rather say it's all quite economically done; but with a very patient cameraman, and overall a style I just like. 8/10

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Bullet Train

I read this novel when it first came out and loved it. I told a lot of people it would be perfect for a movie if done by the right person. The previews didn't have me excited. I thought it might be too campy. Surprisingly, I thought the humor hit that good balance where I was enjoying it rather than being annoyed. It was a bit like a Guy Ritchie film but that worked here. The major changes were the ending and conclusion, where they departed from the novel. The novel's ending was better but that's to be expected from a big-budget Hollywood movie. I think it would have been a little better if it was more Cormac McCarthy-ish but for a big name blockbuster, its probably as good for its target audience (like me) as anything. A subtle change was the slightly increased role for Ladybug where as The Father-Prince received slightly less attention but it's still a slight shift in degrees rather than a major change. All in all I would see it again.
8-8.5/10 for me

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Prey

Quite disappointing. 3/10

Why is the predator primitive? It has spaceships and interstellar travel and comes with bolt guns? It's not a fair play attempt as it uses advanced camo tech too! Not even basic armor? Did it watch Conan before coming to Earth?
The hunting scenes were bad. The Comanches were top of the line woodsmen and hunters, so the amateurish tracking shown is quite bad.
When the French set bait, they hand around with neighing horses and talking people? How did ever become trappers if they can't even set proper bait?
Dialogues were especially bad. It can't get more meh than "if it bleeds, we can kill it".

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Jurassic World: Dominion
Maybe it was all the bad reviews that really lowered my expectations but I kind of enjoyed this? Thought it was big, dumb, fun blockbuster... Which is what I was looking for with this. Sam Neil seemed drunk and didn't know where he was though :lol: . I Had fun 6.5/10