Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Spoony

The People's President
Was disappointed in Prey. It's highly rated on Rotten so I was expecting a lot more. It looked great, the lead was very good and sure there's a lot more below the surface, however Predator films have always been hi octane - the original is fantastic. Prey took an hour to build the foundations...which then left around only 30 mins for the hunt. I guess it's not same without gatling guns and Arnie.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Songs for Drella

Live performance from Louie Reed and John Cale, celebrating the life of Andy Warhol. If your a velvet underground fan it’s a must watch, personally I found a few tunes a bit messy but overall it was enjoyable.

7/10

DeGea’sFeet

Day Shift (2022)

A new Netflix Original, one of their biggest releases this year, staring Jamie Fox.

Fun movie. Nothing serious, but a good new entry.

6/10

DeGea’sFeet

vs

Predator

Predator 2

Predators

Alien Vs Predator

As you can see, there is a distinct difference in appearance compared to all previous works that followed a similar look being no more different to how human faces differ. Jautja aren't dogs. There aren't different breeds. If you saw a human that looked that different you would assume industrial accident or genetic defect.
I think they wanted to make it look more demonic, the lore explanation for its difference is that it’s from the Southern Hemisphere of the planet that they’re from, so slightly different.

caid

I think they wanted to make it look more demonic, the lore explanation for its difference is that it’s from the Southern Hemisphere of the planet that they’re from, so slightly different.
With things like that im happy enough to write it off as artistic interpretation.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Bee Movie. A 2007 animated movie from DreamWorks. Crap. Poor story, poor humour, and even poor animation (2007 isn't 2022 but isn't 1995 either). Also, I'm quite amazed how they manage to have so many male characters (including virtually all worker bees; 'the pollen jocks', seriously?!) in a story about bees, have only white humans among their characters, and how leaves drop and plants die when only bees stop pollinating them. I know it's not a documentary, but surely there's some space between realism and, well, this.

2/10

(No, my kids didn't much like it either.)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Loving (2016 movie). Now this was really good. A historical romantic drama about an interracial couple who commit the unspeakable crime of wanting to be together and have children in 1950s Virginia. They're arrested and given the option of getting to jail or leaving the state. Their case eventually becomes a civil rights affair that I'll spoiler for anyone who doesn't know it yet, but it leads to the US Supreme Court, where the groundbreaking case of Loving vs Virginia results in the ban of restrictions to interracial marriages in the US.

Despite the subject matter, this isn't a courtroom drama. Instead, director Jeff Nichols keeps things very small with a full focus on the family and their life under these circumstances, with little tension but a lot of tenderness and care. The couple are played by Ruth Negga and Joel Edgerton, who give great performances, and the filming is wonderful as well.

You'll be disappointed if you're looking for a tense civil rights drama, but I thought this was fantastic. 9/10

(Also, another one of those films that make you despair about humankind. Why the feck do we do this to each other? Why can't we all just leave people be? It's deeply disturbing.)

Last edited:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Day Shift (2022)

A new Netflix Original, one of their biggest releases this year, staring Jamie Fox.

Fun movie. Nothing serious, but a good new entry.

6/10
Decently fun in parts but became very generic, paint by numbers by the end. 6/10 first 2/3rds, 4/10 final act.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Was disappointed in Prey. It's highly rated on Rotten so I was expecting a lot more. It looked great, the lead was very good and sure there's a lot more below the surface, however Predator films have always been hi octane - the original is fantastic. Prey took an hour to build the foundations...which then left around only 30 mins for the hunt. I guess it's not same without gatling guns and Arnie.
A decent return to form for the Predator franchise. One kind of wants to know more about the Predators but every time they try it’s garbage. The Predator was a low point, especially the final act, Predators had a decent concept but just too many ridiculous points. This was more akin to the original movie, and plenty to enjoy. Nothing that really propels the franchise forwards though, just resets it back to nearly where it was 35 years ago.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Agreed. Meh

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Bee Movie. A 2007 animated movie from DreamWorks. Crap. Poor story, poor humour, and even poor animation (2007 isn't 2022 but isn't 1995 either). Also, I'm quite amazed how they manage to have so many male characters (including virtually all worker bees; 'the pollen jocks', seriously?!) in a story about bees, have only white humans among their characters, and how leaves drop and plants die when only bees stop pollinating them. I know it's not a documentary, but surely there's some space between realism and, well, this.

2/10

(No, my kids didn't much like it either.)
I saw it when it came out with my son, who was 9, and we were both underwhelmed.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw it when it came out with my son, who was 9, and we were both underwhelmed.
Yeah, I saw it once before actually. Didn't remember too much about it, otherwise I'd have never agreed to having it for our pizza night...

Spoony

The People's President
A decent return to form for the Predator franchise. One kind of wants to know more about the Predators but every time they try it’s garbage. The Predator was a low point, especially the final act, Predators had a decent concept but just too many ridiculous points. This was more akin to the original movie, and plenty to enjoy. Nothing that really propels the franchise forwards though, just resets it back to nearly where it was 35 years ago.
A film based on Planet Predator could be interesting but more than likely will disappoint. For me though, it's just about cat and mouse, explosions, tension and a shed load of deus ex machina. I wouldn't over complicate it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Had another film night with the kids, and this time we watched The Sea Beast, an animated Netflix film that came out not too long ago. In a setting similar to pirate movies, 'hunters' chase enormous sea beasts to kill them, get the bounty, and keep the seas and lands safe. A young orphan manages to join the most famous ship, but then discovers something very surprising.

It was really quite good. The dialogues are sometimes a little too predictable and there are some gaps in the story. (I suppose the island with creature serves to set up a potential sequel, but what about the witch's price? Is it just that Captain Crow lost his profession? That's not quite what it sounded like.) But other than that, it's a fun romp, with good action and adventures, fun and tension, heart, diversity (yes, that's nice to see), and also great animation.

It was done by the guy who directed Big Hero 6 and co-directed Moana, for me some of Disney Animation's better films, so I guess he's good at this stuff. 8/10

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Ti West's X. It looks half decent, has a few creepy set ups and is all ruined by its own sense of self importance. Promising up to the 30 minute mark and by the hour I was done. The gator scene is good though.

Pretentious, empty shite, with tediously obvious characters, blandly soliloquising trite banalaties. It's wank made by a wanker, for wankers.

The horror, death and gore is protracted to the point of tedium, under the mistaken assumption that this is creating tension. You are not Hitchcock or Hooper, or even any number of b-grade schlockmeisters from the 70s. You are a corporate slob managing the production line in a sausage factory. This is what you get when competent technicians take up all the jobs of creative talent. The movie repeatedly commits the horror movie cardinal sin of diminishing returns, with regards to over egging the suspense and over-exposing the monster.

The worst thing though is that it's full of that hoodwinking superficiality that will get it loved and promoted and held up as an example of a viable alternative to generic studio doggerel, by the know-little movie-munching majority. If you like this and also claim to like Texas Chainsaw then you are a goddamn fecking liar. You've loaded us all up for a trip through the doldrums, with Jordan Peele in the driving seat and the rest of these hacks on map duty.

Ty but no ti.

Sweet Square

Currently watching Kill Bill Vol 2 and while I’ve never been the biggest fan of both movies(Tarantino is ripping off far better material)it’s still a ton of fun and has some great set pieces. The coffin scene with Morricone soundtrack is :drool:

Superunknown

Saw Nope a few days ago. Loved it, had a blast. Tempted to go see it again.

*waits for the Cafe to shit on it like they did with Prey* :lol:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa - often when you get movie versions of successful TV shows, they lose the essence of what made the TV show so great. It doesn't happen here - this is excellent and a lovely treat for anyone who's a fan of the character. Steve Coogan is irresistible. 9/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Promising up to the 30 minute mark and by the hour I was done.

Pretentious, empty shite, with tediously obvious characters, blandly soliloquising trite banalaties. It's wank made by a wanker, for wankers.
I've not seen this movie but have seen all his other movies and this is so true.
Wait, you think Jordan Peele is a hack?
I know you weren't asking me but I think he's massively overrated.

Get Out was excellent but Us was the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. Maybe NOPE will change my mind on him but yeah... Not a big fan.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I've not seen this movie but have seen all his other movies and this is so true.

I know you weren't asking me but I think he's massively overrated.

Get Out was excellent but Us was the dumbest movie I've seen in a long time. Maybe NOPE will change my mind on him but yeah... Not a big fan.
You're either massively exaggerating or don't watch enough films. Considering the reviews of some of the stuff you've posted here, I'm gonna go with the first.

I also feel like Us was slightly too ambitious for its own good, but "dumb" is definitely not a word I'd use to describe. Extremely curious for Nope, considering the projects he's been involved in, he seems like a talented guy who's actually trying to say something about the society he lives in.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
You're either massively exaggerating or don't watch enough films. Considering the reviews of some of the stuff you've posted here, I'm gonna go with the first.

I also feel like Us was slightly too ambitious for its own good, but "dumb" is definitely not a word I'd use to describe. Extremely curious for Nope, considering the projects he's been involved in, he seems like a talented guy who's actually trying to say something about the society he lives in.
Oh for sure was exaggerating. I've seen Fast and Furious 9 ffs :lol:

But my point was more that the minute you sit and start thinking about the movie and how it's own rules would work, it just completely falls apart. But with that said, I would rather have writer/directors like him, who are willing to try something different as opposed to those that just make bang average movies filled with tropes and cliches.

But I don't think he's the quintessential master of horror that most of the media portray him as.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Do they really, though? I feel he has a good rep cos of the underlying social commentary in his films, rather than the horror aspects (though the tension building in Get Out was masterful, it has to be said).

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I am currently watching a new Netflix movie called Purple Hearts and it is possibly a bigger pile of jingoistic bullshit than even American Sniper. My fecking god what is this shit.

Every time I see American soldiers and marines portrayed this way I think back to that scene in Generation Kill where a marine is openly taking a shit in an Iraqi villager's front garden.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Agreed. Meh
Just watched it myself. So much wasted potential.The scenery is amazing - no green screen bullshit and then they go and ruin it with such stupid story writing. The MC has some of the most absurd plot armor i've ever seen. Movie's being hyped to oblivion because of how shit the rest of them were and then an ok/decent movie comes out and it's suddenly a masterpiece because of the previous ones being so bad. :houllier:

Sweet Square

I am currently watching a new Netflix movie called Purple Hearts and it is possibly a bigger pile of jingoistic bullshit than even American Sniper. My fecking god what is this shit.

Every time I see American soldiers and marines portrayed this way I think back to that scene in Generation Kill where a marine is openly taking a shit in an Iraqi villager's front garden.
Can’t remember who said this but the only good film(Not including documentaries)about the Iraq war is still Starship Troopers.

2cents

Scout
Can’t remember who said this but the only good film(Not including documentaries)about the Iraq war is still Starship Troopers.
Not a film but have you seen Generation Kill?

2cents

Scout
Nope. Your post is the first time I’ve heard about it, it is worth watching?
Absolutely, 7-part HBO David Simon miniseries on the marine culture of the Iraq war and the dysfunction of the command. Like all American stuff on the war the Iraqis are just background props, but in this case it's not done in order to romanticize and humanize the marines by way of contrast, it's more about genuinely portraying how indifferent the marines were to the country and people they were invading.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Ti West's X. It looks half decent, has a few creepy set ups and is all ruined by its own sense of self importance. Promising up to the 30 minute mark and by the hour I was done. The gator scene is good though.

The horror, death and gore is protracted to the point of tedium, under the mistaken assumption that this is creating tension. You are not Hitchcock or Hooper, or even any number of b-grade schlockmeisters from the 70s. You are a corporate slob managing the production line in a sausage factory. This is what you get when competent technicians take up all the jobs of creative talent. The movie repeatedly commits the horror movie cardinal sin of diminishing returns, with regards to over egging the suspense and over-exposing the monster.

The worst thing though is that it's full of that hoodwinking superficiality that will get it loved and promoted and held up as an example of a viable alternative to generic studio doggerel, by the know-little movie-munching majority. If you like this and also claim to like Texas Chainsaw then you are a goddamn fecking liar. You've loaded us all up for a trip through the doldrums, with Jordan Peele in the driving seat and the rest of these hacks on map duty.

Ty but no ti.
I was gonna watch X till I saw the trailer for, what appears to be some sort of spin-off or prequel to it? Already.

Put me off for some reason.

Sweet Square

Absolutely, 7-part HBO David Simon miniseries on the marine culture of the Iraq war and the dysfunction of the command. Like all American stuff on the war the Iraqis are just background props, but in this case it's not done in order to romanticize and humanize the marines by way of contrast, it's more about genuinely portraying how indifferent the marines were to the country and people they were invading.
Cheers sounds interesting. Will have to give it a watch.

I think the detached route is the only way to tackle that war. Although I do have a very half arsed view that the war film is mostly over now due to 24 hour news and the ability of capturing real life footage from war zones on things like mobile phones.

Like for me in terms of seeing moving images on a screen about the Iraq war, it was the live news coverage of 9/11, one of my mates showing me the mobile video of saddam hussein getting killed and the torture footage filmed by US soldiers. No film is going to stand a chance against this.