Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sweet Square

On The Sliver Globe

Almost pointless to describe. It’s one greatest pieces of art to ever be put on film. Impossible to understand but incredible in every aspect

10/10

It’s up on YouTube in 1080p with English subtitles. Worth checking out before it disappears.

Bert_

On The Sliver Globe

Almost pointless to describe. It’s one greatest pieces of art to ever be put on film. Impossible to understand but incredible in every aspect

10/10

It’s up on YouTube in 1080p with English subtitles. Worth checking out before it disappears.
Sequal to that David Blaine interview with Eamonn Holmes?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ant Man & The Wasp: Quantumania
Typical marvel affair. Looked nice and a few nice action scenes. Rudd and Majors were really good 5.5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Beau is afraid. Wow. What did I just watch?

Ari Aster's latest film, a strange, anxious, paranoid take on the monomyth, is quite fascinating in its imagery and its uncompromising desire to plunge you into Beau's terrified mind where everything and everyone is an enemy to be frightened of. Driven by guilt and and an overbearing mother whose love has made him an impotent, bumbling emtpy shell of a man, Beau wanders through sets, is confronted with the vacuity of his life, gets to glimpse at what could have been, and ultimately faces his fears. And loses.

It's referenced, it's funny at times, it's scary at others, it's beautiful, it's ugly, but more importantly, it just is. It doesn't actually need to be picked apart to be appreciated, it exists for the sake of existing and transmitting brute, primary emotions through image and sound. It's quite extraordinary, and while I'm sure it will be as hated as it will be loved, I would recommend anyone who loves the art to see this on a big screen as soon as possible. Joaquin Phoenix is excellent (duh) and I don't believe anyone else could have been Beau after seeing his performance. The music is great, jumping from ominous orchestral arrangements, to soft ethereal themes, to a beautiful rendition of George Harrison's Isn't it a pity by Nina Simone. Everything is great. Ari Aster is great. It's weird, and I loved it.

@Sweet Square @R.N7 where my guys at?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Ari Aster's latest film, a strange, anxious, paranoid take on the monomyth, is quite fascinating in its imagery and its uncompromising desire to plunge you into Beau's terrified mind where everything and everyone is an enemy to be frightened of. Driven by guilt and and an overbearing mother whose love has made him an impotent, bumbling emtpy shell of a man, Beau wanders through sets, is confronted with the vacuity of his life, gets to glimpse at what could have been, and ultimately faces his fears. And loses.

It's referenced, it's funny at times, it's scary at others, it's beautiful, it's ugly, but more importantly, it just is. It doesn't actually need to be picked apart to be appreciated, it exists for the sake of existing and transmitting brute, primary emotions through image and sound. It's quite extraordinary, and while I'm sure it will be as hated as it will be loved, I would recommend anyone who loves the art to see this on a big screen as soon as possible. Joaquin Phoenix is excellent (duh) and I don't believe anyone else could have been Beau after seeing his performance. The music is great, jumping from ominous orchestral arrangements, to soft ethereal themes, to a beautiful rendition of George Harrison's Isn't it a pity by Nina Simone. Everything is great. Ari Aster is great. It's weird, and I loved it.

Looks fantastic but the three-hour runtime has put me off watching it at the cinema. I'll likely pick it up on DVD/Blu-ray when it's out.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I'm looking forward to this one. Is it very different to the other two?

Aster is a weird one, I didn't particularly enjoy either of Hereditary or Midsommar, they're very uncomfortable and at times mean and horrible films, and yet I always get the urge to go back and watch both because they're so well made and unsettling. It's just... weird, he's fecking weird, man.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

I'm looking forward to it too you elitist prick :lol:
hereditary is his best work. midsommar felt like a letdown. you should watch the short on which beau is afraid is supposed to be loosely based on @Rooney in Paris
I absolutely loved Hereditary but thought Midsomar was just ok. So prefer directors like Aster, who you know so push the envelope further and further as their career progresses.

Can you link me to the short? Love watching them.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Looks fantastic but the three-hour runtime has put me off watching it at the cinema. I'll likely pick it up on DVD/Blu-ray when it's out.
As my good friend @Snowjoe would say... grow up.

Nah just kidding :D I think it's a shame, some of the scenes and the framing are so beautiful and rich, it's worth seeing it in the best possible conditions, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it at home too :)
I'm looking forward to this one. Is it very different to the other two?

Aster is a weird one, I didn't particularly enjoy either of Hereditary or Midsommar, they're very uncomfortable and at times mean and horrible films, and yet I always get the urge to go back and watch both because they're so well made and unsettling. It's just... weird, he's fecking weird, man.
I love both of them, particularly Midsommar, but yeah if you are at least intrigued about his weirdness, well, Beau has a lot, and I mean a lot, to offer.
hereditary is his best work. midsommar felt like a letdown. you should watch the short on which beau is afraid is supposed to be loosely based on @Rooney in Paris
Interesting, I actually thought Midsommar was even better than Hereditary, but I loved both. Beau is a little different I'd say, less horror than his 2 previous (even though they obviously were much richer than a lot of other films in that genre), this one is a hybrid of many other things. It's hard to pigeon hole, impossible even, and it's what probably makes it so interesting. I think he described it as a Jewish Lord of the Rings, and there's definitely some of that there :lol:
I'm looking forward to it too you elitist prick :lol:

I absolutely loved Hereditary but thought Midsomar was just ok. So prefer directors like Aster, who you know so push the envelope further and further as their career progresses.

Can you link me to the short? Love watching them.
:lol: sorry mate, but you know you're my go-to guy for anything Nic Cage related! (I'll have you know I had a heated debate about him this weekend with a friend about this, when I started singing his praises she answered "I like National Treasure", and then I understood she didn't understand the beauty that is Nic Cage)

But go see it and report back! It's so weird and interesting.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town

Nah just kidding :D I think it's a shame, some of the scenes and the framing are so beautiful and rich, it's worth seeing it in the best possible conditions, but I'm sure you'll appreciate it at home too :)

I love both of them, particularly Midsommar, but yeah if you are at least intrigued about his weirdness, well, Beau has a lot, and I mean a lot, to offer.

:lol: sorry mate, but you know you're my go-to guy for anything Nic Cage related! (I'll have you know I had a heated debate about him this weekend with a friend about this, when I started singing his praises she answered "I like National Treasure", and then I understood she didn't understand the beauty that is Nic Cage)

To be honest I think we should have kicked her out the moment she started talking shit about Nic

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

Just checked my local Cineworld and this is already being pulled from cinemas this Thursday... I was gonna wait for the small screen release for similar reasons to @Vidyoyo but you've convinced me to see it at the pictures so I'm now booked in for 16:20 tomorrow :cool:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Don't get me wrong, I think the cinema is hands down the best way to watch any movie but I really struggle with being in there for more than 2 and half hours.

Again though, it does look fantastic so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and suck it up.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Just checked my local Cineworld and this is already being pulled from cinemas this Thursday... I was gonna wait for the small screen release for similar reasons to @Vidyoyo but you've convinced me to see it at the pictures so I'm now booked in for 16:20 tomorrow :cool:
Don't get me wrong, I think the cinema is hands down the best way to watch any movie but I really struggle with being in there for more than 2 and half hours.

Again though, it does look fantastic so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and suck it up.
God I'm such an influencer

Unam333

Nice little review. Will watch it.
Hereditary and Midsommar are both really good movies. I believe I rated Hereditary a 9 and Midsommar a 7.5 in the past, but alot of people felt Midsommar is superior to Hereditary and I can see why. Ari Aster movies always have that weirdness, really creative director.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Please do this
please get the feck out
:lol:
Not seen anything from Alabaster, def looks like a guy whose films I'd find thought-provoking,

Tsss you.

You're being sarcastic, aren't you?
Nice little review. Will watch it.
Hereditary and Midsommar are both really good movies. I believe I rated Hereditary a 9 and Midsommar a 7.5 in the past, but alot of people felt Midsommar is superior to Hereditary and I can see why. Ari Aster movies always have that weirdness, really creative director.
Thanks! I personally preferred Midsommar but from the posts above, seems like split opinions. Both really good films either way, and yeah agree he's very creative.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town

She needed a kick in the back of the head. I will have to wait for Sky Store release though as I'm gearing up for a shoot and also the Luton v Coventry playoffs... Don't want my wife to divorce me due to my busy schedule!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
For my next trick, watch me draw parallels between Fast & Furious X and Bergman's body of work.
I actually saw Fast 5 yesterday. Well, in the background, but that's plenty. I never saw anything from that series and thought I'd give it a spin on a quiet work day, just to get a sense of the vibe. What a fecking shitshow. The Michael Bay school of 'every second must hit hard'. No humor, nonsensical plot (even within that 'world'), everything set up and acted for effect but the effect is rarely achieved (I'm constantly like: was that supposed to be funny? was that supposed to be tough? was that supposed to be emotional?), and the music is beyond Big Score cliché. Yeah, some of the action is big, and I guess that's the draw. But what a fecking shitshow. Red Notice is subtle art in comparison to this crap.

...all that to say obviously that yes, I'm looking forward to that trick! :wenger:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Fast X

Utterly incomprehensible and disjointed gibberish. Somehow turns family up to 11. Terrible CGI. Like, so bad. Full of pointless side quests and scenes. It’s so bad. Somehow still shoehorns in Paul Walker too. Madness.

3/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Fast X

Utterly incomprehensible and disjointed gibberish. Somehow turns family up to 11. Terrible CGI. Like, so bad. Full of pointless side quests and scenes. It’s so bad. Somehow still shoehorns in Paul Walker too. Madness.

3/10
Oh yeah, all the family stuff! I noticed how they randomly shoehorned that into Fast 5 as well. Such emotional depth!

Sweet Square

Wow. Thanks for this.
No worries. Would be interested to hear your views on it after you’ve watched it.

Tbh Soviet filmmaking seemed insane. Artists would pretty much be given unlimited funds to make whatever they wanted but then have it censored for the strangest of reasons. With the censorship normally leading to better art.

Nice! I’ve been looking forward to this since the trailer(Parker Posie in another film role :drool:)I’ve got it booked for tomorrow night.

thought Midsomar was just ok.
midsommar felt like a letdown.
Before watching midsommar I saw a tweet saying the film is really a critique of post war social democracy. While film wasn’t intended as that(Although it does kind of work as a critique) I did watch it hoping Stalin red army would come to the rescue and blast this those Swedish hippies away.

Last edited: