Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Member 39557

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Member 39557

It Follows:

I was interested by the premise, but it wasn't scary or even creepy. It was just a bit angsty and quite dull. The best thing about the film was seeing the run-down areas of Detroit.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I don't know if I'd want The Rock too close to anything to do with the Chinese, to be honest.

And Bill, you're crazy, It Follows is the business.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Spy movie:

Exceeded my expectations by a mile. Thought the trailer was a bit meh, but the movie is a great laugh. Actually it's the best comedy I've watched in years.

suheilsworld

Finally got down to seeing some classics

Good Will Hunting - Moving and heart warming. The way they build the relationship between Damon and Williams was fabulous to watch. Great performance by Williams and Damon and Affleck. Each relationship between characters has been narrated so beautifully.

Rain Man - Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise. Nothing special. But loved Hoffman's performance. Another touching storyline that moves your heart without the usual emotional melodrama.

Also saw
Chef - Absolutely loved the movie! Dare you to watch it on an empty stomach. Makes you want to eat and if you are into cooking, create a dish of your own from scratch. Good no-nonsense fun watch.

The Loft - Great storyline with a decent starcast. Good twist at the end and the narration kept me gripped till the end. Surprised the movie did not get enough credit.

Top Five - For most part felt like a self publicised movie for Chris Rock with loads of stand up one-liners and jokes. But still comes together very well and is a decent watch

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Insidious 3
Leigh Wannell takes over from James Wan and steps into the directors seat for the third instalment of the Insidious series. Initially I had my doubts as Whannell is a great writer but I was worried if he could translate his talents into the directors chair but he did a great job. The film had some really eerie bits and the jump scare stunts worked a treat, one bit even got me to nearly spill my coke, it came from absolutely nowhere. However, the storyline is quite generic and it missed the Warren family from the first two films (this one is a prequel). It was a good film on it's own right but not as good as the first one and probably a little worse than the second. I still enjoyed it a lot but I am slightly biased as I love horror films 7/10

Preservation

Two brothers and one of their wives go camping in the woods and then are terrorized by three masked youths. Steaming pile of shit. The film thinks it's being clever, knotting in the plot of humans acting like animals when put in certain situations but some IDIOTIC moments from the characters really made me hate the film. It was only 90 mins but felt like 2 hours 3/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Ex Machskina was a pleasing watch, nothing groundbreaking but brooding and stylish. It kinda reminded me a little of two of my favourite films of the past few years, Under the Skin & The Skin I Live In.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
It Follows - This film is basically AIDS. Best thing about it was the synthesizer soundtrack. 5/10

The Signal -
Good Sci-Fi that could have been great if it wasn't for the disappointing ending that you could see coming from miles away. 6.5/10

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Spy - Not too bad at all - though Miranda Hart does her very, very best to try and ruin it - the plot is fairly nonsensical (which I suppose makes sense in a spy spoof - not that this is that spoofy), but McCarthy is nowhere near as annoying as she has been in other films of late (especially when you have a direct comparison with Hart), Peter Serfeownenojiqjoqjeirnqonfiqiwqixcz has a fun turn, but it's all really about Statham, who has all the best lines and delivers them brilliantly.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I saw Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer. Thought it was really interesting, repulsive yet compulsive. Rooker is suprisingly great, seems a bit of a waste that his career has been built largely on supporting shlub roles.

I'm sure this is where Haneke got most of his ideas for the inferior Benny's Video and Funny Games. Also some of the brilliant Snowtown in there.

Member 39557

I don't know if I'd want The Rock too close to anything to do with the Chinese, to be honest.

And Bill, you're crazy, It Follows is the business.
Not just me!

It Follows - This film is basically AIDS. Best thing about it was the synthesizer soundtrack. 5/10

The Signal -
Good Sci-Fi that could have been great if it wasn't for the disappointing ending that you could see coming from miles away. 6.5/10
Agreed. It was an interesting premise but ultimately it wasn't scary/creepy/tense at all. The pool scene was a highlight.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Quite atmospheric overall I'd say, because of the angst aspect you talk about. But I'm a sucker of these horror films where they try to capture that feeling of teenage angst (like All the boys love Mandy Lane), when it's well done I'll usually love it. A few moments frightened me, but it wasn't terrifying or anything. Just thought it was a well done film.

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah, also think it took some inspiration from Carpenter's Halloween, but yeah very 1980s. Thing is most folk expect S/FX to make them jump thesedays, It Follows won't appeal if that's what you're looking for in a horror.

Member 39557

Nah, Spoony, I don't need FX, or the recent trend of loud noises etc to make me tense. I love the old Halloween movie, the first 20 minutes of Scream and various old horror films.

I just didn't find it scary. I found the Babadook much more creepy/scary and that used the emotional turmoil of the characters to much greater effect (for me anyway) but it's all subjective etc.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I can't wait to see It Follows. Have it on the harddrive but it's being difficult to persuade the missus to watch it.

Spoony

The People's President
Nah, Spoony, I don't need FX, or the recent trend of loud noises etc to make me tense. I love the old Halloween movie, the first 20 minutes of Scream and various old horror films.

I just didn't find it scary. I found the Babadook much more creepy/scary and that used the emotional turmoil of the characters to much greater effect (for me anyway) but it's all subjective etc.

Fair enough... And funnily enough I didn't like Babadook.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Didn't like Babadook or It Follows.

Best horror movie I ever saw was the TV adaptation of Stephen King's Salems Lot starring David Soul, it scared the bejaysus out of me.

Member 39557

Didn't like Babadook or It Follows.

Best horror movie I ever saw was the TV adaptation of Stephen King's Salems Lot starring David Soul, it scared the bejaysus out of me.
Mr Barlow was good, and I liked the flying boy at the window as a kid. It's aged terribly though, don't watch it again!

What We Do In The Shadows did an excellent take on Mr Barlow.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Oh my God Air Force One on French TV right now. Such a brilliant film. Love the exposition with Ford's character portrayed as a strong, ethical leader, done with such subtlety.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - Meh, pretty uneven. I liked some parts like the boy and girl stuff but mostly it was just a poorer version of Only Lover Left Alive which I didn't think was all that either. Cute, cute girl though.

Last edited: