Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Hoof the ball

Cheers I'm going to watch this now. Did you see Aquarius? that was about my favourite from 2016.

Edit: Thought it was great.
I haven't seen it yet, although it's been on my iMDB watchlist for a short time now. I'll get around to it this week, I should imagine.

The main antagonist (just realising this now) in Bacurau is the guy who played the the vampire boss in Blade.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Watched Rambo : Last Blood the other night. I mean it's barely a film and what you might interpret as a plot is merely a drawn out set up for the carnage of the final 20 minutes which is as gloriously violent as you might expect.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Marriage Story

Baumbach's best work since Frances Ha. Brilliant performances, especially Adam Driver who will no doubt be an Oscar contender. Not quite Baumbach's best script, but certainly his best directed film, great cinematography from Robbie Ryan as always (with a narrow aspect ratio and bright grainy sepia colour palette). A mixture of Woody Allen (with an Annie Hall NY/LA juxtaposition) monologues, and then these wonderful Ozu moments and transitions.

9/10

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Watched Rambo : Last Blood the other night. I mean it's barely a film and what you might interpret as a plot is merely a drawn out set up for the carnage of the final 20 minutes which is as gloriously violent as you might expect.
I didn't have high expectations but it exceeded them. Simple story and even simpler screenplay, but Stallone is in his element and carries the film.

I found it entertaining.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I didn't have high expectations but it exceeded them. Simple story and even simpler screenplay, but Stallone is in his element and carries the film.

I found it entertaining.
Yeah I didn't mind it. Think the missus enjoyed it more than me tbh which is weird. Keeping an eye on her...

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Beckoning Silence

Great, tragic story about the climber Toni Kurz told by Touching the Void's Joe Simpson.

7.5/10

LA Confidential

Stellar.

9/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Sisters Brothers
In 1850s Oregon, the infamous duo of assassins, Eli and Charlie Sisters, chase a gold prospector and his unexpected ally. Great cast but slow and boring. A lot of dialogue is mumbled so I couldn't really hear if there were some intricacies in the plot, but the plot in itself felt tumescent. Yawned throughout 2/10

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The Sisters Brothers
In 1850s Oregon, the infamous duo of assassins, Eli and Charlie Sisters, chase a gold prospector and his unexpected ally. Great cast but slow and boring. A lot of dialogue is mumbled so I couldn't really hear if there were some intricacies in the plot, but the plot in itself felt tumescent. Yawned throughout 2/10
Yeah damn shame that because the book is great. The film captures none of the humour.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
I enjoyed it a lot too. It's funny, witty, the cast seems like they had a blast and it all ties well together.

But it's criminal none of you highlighted the film's biggest strength: Ana de Armas is so beautiful I want to cry.
So true! I'm going to watch it again with family soon, just so I can stare at her for every scene she's in now that I know the plot etc haha. She is beautiful and I've been slowly catching up on her other work. The Informer and Blade Runner 2049 were the last I saw her in, and she has plenty coming up too.

8/10 for the film 10/10 for Ana.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
First Man - Really boring actor plays really boring man. Luckily all the space stuff was really well done and exciting. No doubting Armstrong was a brave and clever bloke. Just not very exciting unfortunately. It was good how you got a sense of just how rickety and dangerous everything was.

Gravity - rewatched and still enjoyed it. I like that it's a trim 90 minutes and rarely lags. Fantastic visually.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
First Man - Really boring actor plays really boring man. Luckily all the space stuff was really well done and exciting. No doubting Armstrong was a brave and clever bloke. Just not very exciting unfortunately. It was good how you got a sense of just how rickety and dangerous everything was.

Gravity - rewatched and still enjoyed it. I like that it's a trim 90 minutes and rarely lags. Fantastic visually.
Corey Stoll playing Buzz as a prick teases the possibility of a much better film. The space stuff really is as good as I've seen though.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Corey Stoll playing Buzz as a prick teases the possibility of a much better film. The space stuff really is as good as I've seen though.

Yeah I really liked that bit. They should have explored the relationships between the astronauts a lot more. It was just dull how they occasionally drank a beer and talked shop.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Marriage Story

Baumbach's best work since Frances Ha. Brilliant performances, especially Adam Driver who will no doubt be an Oscar contender. Not quite Baumbach's best script, but certainly his best directed film, great cinematography from Robbie Ryan as always (with a narrow aspect ratio and bright grainy sepia colour palette). A mixture of Woody Allen (with an Annie Hall NY/LA juxtaposition) monologues, and then these wonderful Ozu moments and transitions.

9/10
I've just finished it and not quite sure whether I hated it or liked it. But for sure Adam Driver continues to show just how fine an actor he is.

Suedesi

Marriage Story

9/10
Very good flick, think it's based on Baunbach's own story with Jennifer Jason Leigh. Most foreigners might think it's absurd, but to me script rings 100% realistic.

As for the acting, I thought Adam Driver kinda overacts a bit, especially during some of the 'screaming' scenes - just looked unrealistic.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Widows

Decided to watch this given the excellent cast and mostly because of Carrie Coon. Not only does Coon barely feature but most of the cast is fairly underutilized. The movie starts out well and I think we're in for a good one but after some funeral scenes it goes downhill. Basically it's a heist movie where they try to stay away from most of the clichés but in reality they just papered over them. Usually you get some humor in heist movies, none of that here. You want to root for Viola Davis but the movies is filled with so many script fillers that you forget that she's the main character. The dude from Atlanta and his Get Out partner are kind of pointless and caricaturized. Colin Farrell's character could be cut out of the movie entirely and it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe not entirely but they could have had him explained as a figure on TV but instead the movie is written in a way that it has to show 40 minutes of build up in order to explain how the very short end works and not the ending of the movie mind you (which is ridiculous) but just the simple matter of how characters come to know each other. The acting was fine, the main 3 women which are the focus were a nice bunch of characters but the whole premise was whack.

5/10

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I start my 26-day holiday after tomorrow and am compiling a list of action/martial arts movies to rewatch in a binge fest:

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

Some of these are in my all time favourite movie list and just have the urge to watch them again. Any other suggestions welcome.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I start my 26-day holiday after tomorrow and am compiling a list of action/martial arts movies to rewatch in a binge fest:

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

Some of these are in my all time favourite movie list and just have the urge to watch them again. Any other suggestions welcome.
No Way of the Dragon, Karate Kid, Bloodsport or Crouching Tiger?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

Sakura Killers, Wheels on Meals, Mr. Vampire

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Widows

Decided to watch this given the excellent cast and mostly because of Carrie Coon. Not only does Coon barely feature but most of the cast is fairly underutilized. The movie starts out well and I think we're in for a good one but after some funeral scenes it goes downhill. Basically it's a heist movie where they try to stay away from most of the clichés but in reality they just papered over them. Usually you get some humor in heist movies, none of that here. You want to root for Viola Davis but the movies is filled with so many script fillers that you forget that she's the main character. The dude from Atlanta and his Get Out partner are kind of pointless and caricaturized. Colin Farrell's character could be cut out of the movie entirely and it wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe not entirely but they could have had him explained as a figure on TV but instead the movie is written in a way that it has to show 40 minutes of build up in order to explain how the very short end works and not the ending of the movie mind you (which is ridiculous) but just the simple matter of how characters come to know each other. The acting was fine, the main 3 women which are the focus were a nice bunch of characters but the whole premise was whack.

5/10
I was incredibly underwhelmed with this one, especially as I love all Steve McQueen's work prior to it. It felt very distant to anything else he'd done, and just a bit of a "nothing" film, without being especially bad.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Oh yeah, you loved his Turner video work, and his war stamp designs didya, or are you chatting breeze mate?

Is A Christmas Tale worth a watch French guy?

Member 39557

I was incredibly underwhelmed with this one, especially as I love all Steve McQueen's work prior to it. It felt very distant to anything else he'd done, and just a bit of a "nothing" film, without being especially bad.
Nobody said 'you sunnava bitch I'm in' either. most disappointing.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Ad Astra
Looked good and decent opening. Then it was so fecking boring. One of the few films I gave up on 2/10

Snow

A nothing film, waste of talent and time. Just see now that Hans Zimmer did the score which I barely noticed. Richard Roeper considered it the best movie of 2018 :rolleyes:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

My two all time favorites:
House of Flying Daggers

Hero (has Jet Li vs. Donnie Yen)

Best of the rest:
Dragon Gate Inn
Come Drink With Me
14 Blades
The Assassin
Seven Swords
Detective Dee
Brotherhood of Blades
A Touch of Zen
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate Inn
Shadow
Once Upon a Time in China

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
House of Flying Daggers

Two stunning movies, Hero in particular is probably the most beautiful film I’ve seen. Must watch these again.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lone Star (1996)

Good little 90s flick. A bit slow but interesting nevertheless.

Snow

Dolemite is My Name

I loved this movie from beginning to end. Loved everything about it. Eddie Murphy kills it, Wesley Snipes was great. Loved seeing these redemption arcs of actors combined with solid talent plus a relative newcomer to the screen (Tony nominated Da'vine Joy Randolph). My only knowledge of this movie going in was watching the cast (sans Murphy) talking about working on this movie and answering some questions about each other and they all looked thrilled talking about it. I knew of those types of films but mostly because of satirization and I had no idea the kind of character of Rudy Ray Moore was. There was a lot of cursing but despite that it was a very wholesome viewing experience. The best way to describe it is that it's sort of like The Disaster Artist but this takes place in the 70's black America which is a world that isn't often the focus of major movies and I usually enjoy some insight into worlds that are far away but yet close at the same time.

Good to see Eddie Murphy in a good movie again. He's always been one of the most talented people out there and it's nice to know that he's stille got it.

8.5/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Ad Astra Loved the first half of the film as it had a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now vibe. Second half went nowhere with a deeply underwhelming end. 5/10

Joker
Great central performance but an utterly unconvincing mess of a plot. 5/10

Identity Thief
What a terrible film. Unfunny and ugly at times followed by trite and stupid. How did this film do so well at the box office? 1/10

The Bromley Boys
I had high hopes for this one as it was described to me as a Full Monty or Brassed Off level British comedy and was based in football. Sadly it was very disappointing. Low key plot, largely poor acting and no chemistry between characters 2/10

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
I enjoyed this but ended up unsure what the point of the film was. 7/10

Keefy18

The Raid
The Raid 2
Headshot
The Night Comes For Us
Hardcore Henry
Triple Threat
The Villainess
Maria
ManHunt
Ip Man 1/2/3
Police Story
Armour of God

Two absolute must see from Jackie Chan..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080179/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_105

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078252/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_109

RedPed

Whatabouter.
House of Flying Daggers

Best of the rest:
Dragon Gate Inn
Come Drink With Me
14 Blades
The Assassin
Seven Swords
Detective Dee
Brotherhood of Blades
A Touch of Zen
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate Inn
Shadow
Once Upon a Time in China
Still got quite a few of those on DVD but don't have a Region 1 player anymore. Not so much a fan of the 'wire work' style arty martial arts films tbh but yeah Hero is a visually captivating film for sure.