Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Art Vandelay

Honestly, I agree. The story just wasn't that compelling although you can't fault the production,
Not only that, but with the fancy production techniques and attempts at being extra immersive it got oddly jarring when there were leaps in logic. Great use of surround sound though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
12 Strong
12 Strong tells the story of the first Special Forces team deployed to Afghanistan after 9/11; under the leadership of a new captain, the team must work with an Afghan warlord to take down the Taliban. Decent war/action flick on Netflix. Very tense battle scenes. Obviously not in the league of something like Hurt Locker but it's good, mindless fun 6.5/10

MadMike

The Gentlemen

Doesn't quite reach the heights of Snatch in terms of the memorable or "dark but hilarious" moments. However it's very enjoyable and stands on its own as a good film. Special mention to Hugh Grant who played a role probably entirely unfamiliar to him, that of a shady cockney-accented geezer, and yet delivered beautifully. If you liked previous Guy Ritchie gangster films, you'll like this too and won't be disappointed.

7.5/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I watched Uncut Gems tonight, and absolutely loved it. The tension throughout is something else, and all the actors are fantastic. Adam Sandler is electric and portrays a tragic character, and I loved Bogossian's low key performance.

Wonderful film, not sure whether I preferred it to Good time but that's no slight on it. Both are gritty, intense little masterpieces and the Safdie brothers are amongst the most interesting directors to follow.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
I watched Uncut Gems tonight, and absolutely loved it. The tension throughout is something else, and all the actors are fantastic. Adam Sandler is electric and portrays a tragic character, and I loved Bogossian's low key performance.

Wonderful film, not sure whether I preferred it to Good time but that's no slight on it. Both are gritty, intense little masterpieces and the Safdie brothers are amongst the most interesting directors to follow.
@R.N7 did you see it by the way? Did you like it?

Sweet Square

Their short films are really odd and great

Sweet Square

Thanks, will check these out.

I found this extensive interview of Eric Bogosian, he comes cross as a really nice, interesting and intelligent guy.
Thanks for that. Great little interview

Couple of other interesting things about the film that I might as well post

Funny/insightful interview with Sadie brothers -
(Stories about the non actors in the film, how the whole was carried by Kevin Garnett and Abel Ferrara thoughts on the film)

and discussion about how Howard and his judaism

https://jewishcurrents.org/an-unserious-man/

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Masters of the Universe

Decided to give it another go since I was bored and it has one of my favourite cameo wank-fantasy women in it, the lovely Chelsea Field. Cannon film of it's ilk with B-list stars, dodgy effects, terrible music and cheesy dialogue. Courtney Cox in an early role sports the worst denim jacket I've ever seen but you at least get to see Dolph's impressive tits throughout. Not sure why Man-at-Arms is such a crusty old fecker and some mysterious goblin thing has a prominent role. Upside is that Skeletor is pretty fecking badass and the monsters are hilariously camp. He-Man doesn't really do much TBH but there's plenty of action and it's an enjoyable ride overall. I'd follow it with Lifeforce for a great evening of 80's video nostalgia. 6/10
How could you not mention Evil-Lyn?? Those fecking eyes! :eek: Think I need to watch They Live again too.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Jeez, Uncut Gems is some film. It was an incredibly frustrating watch but that's all part of the experience.

Sandler was fantastic.

It still annoys me that he lent out the gem though. Why would you do that?

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Jeez, Uncut Gems is some film. It was an incredibly frustrating watch but that's all part of the experience.

Sandler was fantastic.

It still annoys me that he lent out the gem though. Why would you do that?
Hardly any of his actions make any sense at all! I guess the admiration he had for KG, the fact Demany seemed to vouch for him (sure, probably not the best character reference, but then again, he navigates in fecked up waters), the ring he kept as a guarantee, these things meant it was "rational" for him to do so (I mean it would make no sense in your or my world, but in his or Billy Blaggs's, there is a different perception of reality).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hardly any of his actions make any sense at all! I guess the admiration he had for KG, the fact Demany seemed to vouch for him (sure, probably not the best character reference, but then again, he navigates in fecked up waters), the ring he kept as a guarantee, these things meant it was "rational" for him to do so (I mean it would make no sense in your or my world, but in his or Billy Blaggs's, there is a different perception of reality).
The rest can be put down to an eccentric with a gambling problem, I guess. The gem lending was just madness, but I'll accept your reasoning as it was still a very good film.

Did you expect him to get shot? I was expecting it at all. At least not at that moment.

muller

Captain Marvel (2019)
Shower of shite, please avoid. Your generic run of the mill superhero movie, everything we've seen before a million times.
(3/10)
Odd, i really enjoyed it. Another different view on the MCU. Brie Larson is a great Captain Marvel too.

But, probably my point is invalid as I like the MCU anyway!

Sweet Square

The rest can be put down to an eccentric with a gambling problem, I guess. The gem lending was just madness, but I'll accept your reasoning as it was still a very good film.
The auction was few days later, right ? He need KG ring so he could pawn it off to place money on a bet.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Sorry but also it's been out for a week on netflix and in cinemas since January.
It's a two and a half hour film, not everyone has time within a week of release to watch it.

Just make a thread for it and discuss it there, this thread really shouldn't have spoilers for new films in it.

Rooney in Paris

Scout

Did you expect him to get shot? I was expecting it at all. At least not at that moment.
Absolutely not. I mean, when you take a step back, it makes total sense - this guy has been caged against his will, witnessing Sandler's character going crazy watching the ball game, and he's already unhinged. It makes sense that as soon as he's released, he'd want to kill Sandler's character (who is an annoying prick, as his wife had pointed out), but the dynamic of that scene was more that of relief and victory, so it was surprising. I actually intially didn't understand he'd been shot :lol: (I thought the guy had fired a shot above his head to scare him or something)

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Uncut Gems ending question:

Do you think those guys would've got out of that building scott free after killing two people and robbing the store?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Absolutely not. I mean, when you take a step back, it makes total sense - this guy has been caged against his will, witnessing Sandler's character going crazy watching the ball game, and he's already unhinged. It makes sense that as soon as he's released, he'd want to kill Sandler's character (who is an annoying prick, as his wife had pointed out), but the dynamic of that scene was more that of relief and victory, so it was surprising. I actually intially didn't understand he'd been shot :lol: (I thought the guy had fired a shot above his head to scare him or something)
And the way he just shot what's-his-face in such a blase manner as well. Both were quite shocking I thought. Especially after the tense buildup (which was all film long really, but especially while the game was on).

Uncut Gems ending question:

Do you think those guys would've got out of that building scott free after killing two people and robbing the store?
They'd sure get out of the building though. There wasn't much to stop them at that point was there? The other question is if his mistress came back to the store with all the money too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Exorcist
Watched this when I was young and just watched again. Great movie, well made, creepy. Just never find it that scary, even when I watch it the first time as a kid but I appreciate that it was horrifying when it was released. Still enjoyed it, just don't think it's the best of all time as some say 8/10

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Adding my own thumbs up to Uncut Gems. I was completely absorbed throughout. It flew by

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Mr Jones Interesting and well acted story about the origins of Orwell's Animal Farm. A bit slow and dull at times so it isn't quite the film it could have been with better editing but still worth a watch. 6.5/10

Last edited:

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Jojo Rabbit - Loved it. A heartwarming film that has you laughing one moment & then filled with sadness the next. The whole cast was good, but in particular the kids & Scarlett Johansson were terrific in their roles. Taika can do little wrong at the moment. 9/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Knives Out It is meant to subvert Agatha Christie type whodunnits but in fact just a rather pedestrian modern version of a Chrisite story. Totally forgettable. 5/10

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Yeah I liked Knives Out and found it more entertaining than you evidently did, but it certainly didn’t rejuvenate or revolutionise anything... it’s was literally just a procedural. A genre that is probably less in danger of dying out or losing relevance than practically any other, and is still thriving in virtually every medium!

It had a lot of hammy performances that let you know just how much everyone involved was very aware what they were doing, but plot wise there was nothing in it any cleverer or more subversive than an episode of Johnathan Creek.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah I liked Knives Out and found it more entertaining than you evidently did, but it certainly didn’t rejuvenate or revolutionise anything... it’s was literally just a procedural. A genre that is probably less in danger of dying out or losing relevance than practically any other, and is still thriving in virtually every medium!

It had a lot of hammy performances that let you know just how much everyone involved was very aware what they were doing, but plot wise there was nothing in it any cleverer or more subversive than an episode of Johnathan Creek.
I think Daniel Craig's impersonation of Frank Underwood annoyed us. I also think I was in the mood for something funny.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Ford Vs Ferrari. An earnest attempt to tell the story of Ken Miles, engineer and race car driver who actually led Ford to a historic Le Mans victory over the seemingly invincible Ferrari team. Christian Bale, as Ken Miles of course amazes. Intense racing scenes but dialogue could have been better. 7/10.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I thought the choice of the baddie was quite uninspired too. But it was enjoyable and made me laugh a few times. I was impressed with Craig's accent too.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Caught up on a few films yesterday in my hungover state

The biggest compliment I can give The Lighthouse is that I wanted to be off that island just as much as they did. The screen ratio and b&w settings, and brilliant cinematography just made it so brilliantly uncomfortable and claustrophobic, a really difficult watch buoyed by the brilliant leads. 9/10

Jojo Rabbit
was really enjoyable, but I'm a massive Taikka Waititi fan anyway, I do think his previous films were funnier but this still had some great, touching moments and felt very Wes Anderson in parts. The kid and girl have big careers ahead of them. 7/10

As was said above, Knives Out wasn't remotely as good as I expected it to be, given the hype. It was a decent enough who-dunnit but I didn't find it as clever or brilliantly knit as others seemed to. 6/10