Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is there any film he's starred in in which he wasn't at the least very good? He's an awesome actor.
Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy - everything and everyone in that utter turd was terrible.

Charlies Angels and Cowboys and Aliens? Although I don't remember him much in those. The sheer shiftiness of the films has made me block the memory out.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Is there any film he's starred in in which he wasn't at the least very good? He's an awesome actor.
He's really good in Jojo Rabbit and Richard Jewell too. I haven't seen enough of his films to think of a bad performance to be honest. I think I first saw him in Lawn Dogs in the late 90's, which was a pretty great little film.

AaronRedDevil

Uncut Gems
feck me this was an assault on the senses. Everyone talking at once, with the thumping soundtrack and camera moving all over the place, it gave me a headache! Then the plot gave me a bloody stress attack. It took a while to get into but by the end, I was all in (no pun intended). Didn't like the ending 7/10
I had the exact same experience. It was bloody annoying as hell with everyone talking over each other. And that basketball player was missing me off. Gave me a headache. The ending killed the movie for me too.

stepic

jojo rabbit

loved it loved it loved it. i was expecting more of a pure comedy, but there was a real sweetness and dramatic tone to it which was unexpected and lovely. ignore the critics who found the tonal differencies offputting, they're not. it's a director making the movie he wants to make, and it's amazing.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
He's really good in Jojo Rabbit and Richard Jewell too. I haven't seen enough of his films to think of a bad performance to be honest. I think I first saw him in Lawn Dogs in the late 90's, which was a pretty great little film.
Love him in Seven Psychopaths too.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Never heard of that one. Was it really bad?
I think he's saying Sam Rockwell is this generation's John Malkovich :lol:

https://yearofhorror.wordpress.com/2018/12/30/my-favorite-films-from-every-year-2018-1895/ a horror fan's comprehensive list of some of the best horror movies, dating back to 1895. A lot of movies on there I've never even heard of. Could be useful for you horror nerds. @pauldyson1uk @Dirty Schwein
All over it thanks!

Good Time
After a botched bank robbery lands his younger brother in prison, Connie Nikas embarks on a twisted odyssey through New York City's underworld to get his brother Nick out of jail. By the same dudes that did Uncut Gems. I found this far more enjoyable. Still has a thumping soundtrack to give you that headache but there isn't so much of people talking over one another so that was nice. Well shot, good story and Robert Pattinson was really good in it as was the mentally unstable brother, who I found out is one of the directors of the film! The ending was really nice also. Highly recommend 7.5/10

pauldyson1uk

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Three From Hell

Big fan of the first two films but this was just utter crap. Should have left it with The Devil's Rejects as the ending was perfect in that. His wife is fecking annoying but he can't resist making her the centre of the film...big mistake. Supporting cast lacked all the old horror names that the previous two had too.

pauldyson1uk

Terminator Dark Fate.

It was better than I thought it was going to be .
The action bits were OK, Arnie was decent enough, Linda Hamilton , looked OLD !! Mackensie Davies and Natalia Reyes, played their parts well
Gabriel Luna as the REV-9 , it was like watching Robert Patrick from T2.
Best Terminator since T2 , but lets be honest, that was not hard to do.
It is very watchable, 2 hours that passed pretty quick.

7/10

Art Vandelay

Rambo Last Blood

I liked it, typical Rambo film , lots of bombs lots of bodies and lots of blood, some of the killings in this were brutal, perfect end to the Rambo series, if it is the end !

10/10
I had the complete opposite reaction to it. Felt it was awful, nothing like any of the other films and worryingly set up more sequels with his speech at the end. The last half hour was decent, but everything before that was seemingly random nonsense featuring someone who happened to have the name John Rambo and was wearing the same coat John Rambo wore in the late 70's/early 80's but had no other relation to Rambo.

Art Vandelay

Willow Creek

Found footage horror with Bigfoot starring instead of the Blair Witch. Surprisingly decent considering it's essentially just two people with a camera. Some of the shakey/handheld camera stuff gets a bit much, but overall the horror was decent when it happened and the relationship drama was a nice distraction. An extended 10 minute scene which is just a camera pointed towards their faces in a tent shouldn't be as tense as it is. Got me with a jump scare. Got a bit farcical when there was action going on around them but they pointed the camera and light at their own faces Most Haunted style. Directed by Bobcat Goldthwaite, Zed from Police Academy.

5/10

Apostle

From the man who directed The Raid. A sort of horror film about weird feckers on an island with their own customs, a kidnapped girl and an outsider there to investigate. It never really goes into full Wickerman territory. Ends up going off on a tangent about society or something. There's an awful lot going on and I was really enjoying it until I completely lost track towards the end. I didn't understand the goddess, the guy with the thing on his head or the bit right at the very end. Good acting though. Lucy Boynton looks a lot like Emma Roberts which has finally explained why I was so confused watching the two of them in February I think it was called.

6/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
JoJo Rabbit
A touching story. Well acted, well written etc. Thought it would be funnier considering who the writer/director is but with the subject matter, I think it was for the best. One scene in particular really got me emotionally 7.5/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Very good movie from a technical point of view. Tense also. Thought it has some really silly bits that needed a huge leap in logic but still, quite an achievement accomplishing something this ambitious 8/10

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Rambo Last Blood

I liked it, typical Rambo film , lots of bombs lots of bodies and lots of blood, some of the killings in this were brutal, perfect end to the Rambo series, if it is the end !

10/10
Ain’t seen it but 10/10? Is is ground breaking in regards to cinematic experience, acting, or action scenes?

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Wedding Guest
A story centered on a mysterious British Muslim man (Dev Patel) on his journey across Pakistan and India. I liked the first half. There was some intrigue as to what was going on and why. The second half was a mess and ended in such a flat way it was irritating 5/10

Tarrou

Pauldy's ratings are always bang on

I'm downloading it as we speak and looking forward to this cinematic masterpiece

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Call of the Wild

I largely loved it. A few complaints with the CGI as Buck's size seemed inconsistent at times. And of all the dogs, Buck's CGI seemed the most distracting and least believable. I also coulda done without the cartoony beginning, but I thought the other changes that they made in order to target more of a family audience worked well.

Tbf, CotW was my favourite book as a kid, and perhaps my favourite as an adult so my rating is probably biased. Obviously this is no Rambo Last Blood, but it's still wonderful to watch and gets an easy 7.5/10 from me.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The Hundred Foot Journey.
A film about a young immigrant who is a gifted chef and how he makes it to the top. Cultural clashes or rather cuisine clashes are the high point. 7.5/10.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Terminator Dark Fate.

It was better than I thought it was going to be .
The action bits were OK, Arnie was decent enough, Linda Hamilton , looked OLD !! Mackensie Davies and Natalia Reyes, played their parts well
Gabriel Luna as the REV-9 , it was like watching Robert Patrick from T2.
Best Terminator since T2 , but lets be honest, that was not hard to do.
It is very watchable, 2 hours that passed pretty quick.

7/10
They had that on the plane last week, but given the last couple of reboots, I avoided it like the plague.
Maybe I watch it on the flight back. If Linda Hamilton looks old then Arnie must look ancient.

AaronRedDevil

JoJo Rabbit
A touching story. Well acted, well written etc. Thought it would be funnier considering who the writer/director is but with the subject matter, I think it was for the best. One scene in particular really got me emotionally 7.5/10
Didnt think I'd get emotional over fecking shoes :(

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I Trapped The Devil
A man descends into paranoia after trapping what he believes to be the devil in his basement, but things take a dark turn when his family unexpectedly arrive for Christmas. Was intrigued by the premise and the director definitely has an eye for cinematography and creating a creepy atmosphere but beyond that, this was a nothing movie that felt like a drag even at a short 88 minutes duration 3/10