Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The Passion of the Christ (2004): Don't really know why I decided to watch this, I suppose it was mainly out of curiosity to see how it stood up to previous films about the story of Jesus Christ and the fact that it was directed by Mel Gibson and stars Jim Caviezel but anyway I watched it last night (I'm not at all religious but love a bit of history). Its apparently the greatest story ever told and most people alive obviously know the plot and I've got to say that this version is for me by far the best adaptation of the story I've ever seen, its incredibly brutal and incredibly moving and even if you are a sceptic (like me) you will be moved by the central themes of man's inhumanity to man and the act of forgiveness, especially forgiveness. My eyes welled as the film progressed through Christs initial betrayal by Judas and denial by Peter, his subsequent "trial" and finally his "punishment" which is portrayed in all its glorifying violence to magnificent and heartbreaking effect. This is a hard watch but a totally fulfilling hard watch which you'll either love or hate but religion aside I was incredibly impressed and moved by a story I was already familiar with because it was calculated, callous and brutally violent but ultimately uplifting despite this. 9/10
Watched it once. Wasn't intented to but the gangs picked that so i went.

Memory serves me right it's a good movie, choreography and all and they actually spoke aramaic which feels genuine instead of English.

But the graphic brutality is making me uneasy, very uneasy, especially knowi that it actually happened. I'm not ussually squeamish, things like hostel, serbian war, ispit on your grave, martyr etc doesnt bothers me because i know they are movies. This one actually taken from history.

Tarrou

I saw about 2/3 of that Pele movie on Netflix and its beyond shite, the scenes where he plays are so unrealistic its actually hilarious. Apparently Pele only scored goals while doing keepy uppys past everyone. Anyway, I was enjoying it in a so bad its good kinda way then got the ‘we cant play this title in your region’ message.. though im guessing he won the world cup with a bunch of keepy uppys and an overhead kick

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I watched The Man without Gravity yesterday. It's a nice movie, well done, but it feels a little inconsequential. Obviously, except in Lola Runs, you can only choose one path for your narrative: your main character makes certain choices, and that's the story. But I feel that, compared to the enormous of the 'thing' (i.e., he can fly), his choices are a little boring. I suppose that's exactly the point, and the point of it all is in there (nobody lets him make his own choices, etc.), but it just left me feeling a little underwhelmed. Still, a good watch and well filmed; I enjoyed it.

Also watched Lift Boy last week. A pretty crappy movie actually: plot twists are predictable while the overall story is fairly dumb, and the conclusion takes feel-good too far. Pretty much every time the narrative takes its next step, you feel like it could have been done better. Some of the actors are also pretty poor. Still, I have to say I did enjoy it, despite everything. it's just such a friendly and well-meaning movie; it just gently takes you by the hand and has you come along.

I also have to say that it was interesting for me to see a movie that (as far as I can tell) is really Indian. I had seen films like Slumdog Millionaire and the Marigold Hotel before, but I suppose now that they are very western in everything. Or at least, I barely registered a lot of difference from how people generally live and converse in western Europe and North America, but here I immediately noticed all the little things people do differently in conversations (sounds and movements). I have no idea how realistic it is (as I said, the actors weren't all stellar), and I suppose it's nothing special if you know India better; but it was another thing that kept me hooked.

Richard Jewell

Watched it knowing almost nothing about it. I knew Kathy Bates was in it and that it had something to do with a bombing. Turns out it has a lot to do with a bombing. Thought it was fantastic. The performance was top notch all around, don't think the juggalo kid has gotten enough love for his performance. Sam Rockwell is always fantastic and you've got Hamm and Wilde on the side with Bates snatching an Oscar nomination. The directing was fantastic and it was not a surprise to learn that Clint Eastwood was the man behind the movie. I really need to seek out his movies more because they've never disappointed me so far. Some of the things he likes to make movies about don't really interest me but he seems to make it work every time. Really feels like Daniel Day-Lewis would make a good fit for one of his movies.

Easy 9/10
Yeah, I also enjoyed this one. Can't say I always like what Eastwood tries to convey through his movies, but it's always well done. I did feel this one was a little inconsequential though. It tells its story well enough, but it's a bit 'just so'. I left the cinema feeling like 'well OK, now I know that'. But yeah, great craftsmanship throughout, and I can enjoy any film that has enough Sam Rockwell in it. I also watched Blue Iguana the other week. A somewhat original take on the British gangster movie (think Guy Ritchie) that works fairly well (some good laughs, scenes, and twists; but also some moments where you feel like this is supposed to be a strong moment and it just doesn't really come out), but the highlight to me was really Sam Rockwell.

ChrisNelson

Unhinged (2020)

The title couldn't be any more appropriate for Russell Crowe's character as he plays a man who, after being honked at for not moving on a green light, goes... well... unhinged... psychotic.

It's fast paced and exciting but there are elements of predictability and whilst I wouldn't normally hold lack of realism against a film (they are films after all) there were actually moments in this film where I actually smiled out loud at how silly it was.

I'd say the good slightly outweighs the bad and I'd give it 7/10

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Palm Springs (2020)

Very funny and enjoyable Andy Samberg 'time loop' rom-com.

Just don't try to think too much about the plot or the sci-fi stuff.

It's like Groundhog Day but with Rick & Morty vibes.

8/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Richard Jewell

Watched it knowing almost nothing about it. I knew Kathy Bates was in it and that it had something to do with a bombing. Turns out it has a lot to do with a bombing. Thought it was fantastic. The performance was top notch all around, don't think the juggalo kid has gotten enough love for his performance. Sam Rockwell is always fantastic and you've got Hamm and Wilde on the side with Bates snatching an Oscar nomination. The directing was fantastic and it was not a surprise to learn that Clint Eastwood was the man behind the movie. I really need to seek out his movies more because they've never disappointed me so far. Some of the things he likes to make movies about don't really interest me but he seems to make it work every time. Really feels like Daniel Day-Lewis would make a good fit for one of his movies.

Easy 9/10
Despite not liking Eastwood's politics, that inform almost everything he makes, he is a technically good director and I often enjoy his films. This however left me totally cold. So bored we both struggled to get through it. Such a well known story and it added nothing.

0le

Watched it once. Wasn't intented to but the gangs picked that so i went.

Memory serves me right it's a good movie, choreography and all and they actually spoke aramaic which feels genuine instead of English.

But the graphic brutality is making me uneasy, very uneasy, especially knowi that it actually happened. I'm not ussually squeamish, things like hostel, serbian war, ispit on your grave, martyr etc doesnt bothers me because i know they are movies. This one actually taken from history.
Yeah, it is a film that made me uneasy too, but I thought it was a really good film.

Sweet Square

Wasn't Man On Fire the first film to really kick off the old actor revenge genre ? You don't get Taken, Gran Torino, You Were Never Really Here or whatever the feck Bruce Willis is doing these days without Tony Scott film.

Regardless of it quality it's a very influential movie. Also it has this brilliant Walken scene

pauldyson1uk

The Big Ugly

Anglo-American relations go bad when London mob bosses invest in a West Virginia oil deal in hopes of laundering dirty money.
This was much better than thought it would be, Jones is OK, not Oscar worthy but very good.
The cast is good for a cheap action film. Vinnie Jones, Ron Perlman and Malcolm McDowell do an acceptable job here. Second, the script itself it's simple but well executed. Last, Vinnie here looks more human than ever.
Worth a watch.

6.5/10

Tarrou

really enjoyed Bad Education (2019), a true story about public school embezzlement in the US. Great performance from Wolverine to be fair.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The vigilantism and violence put many off but it was otherwise a decent action film. Better than many of Tony Scott's films.
Oh I'm not denying it, but ultimately it's a run of the mill action film, albeit a good one, and I'm shocked Nilssy would like it. I think the pandemic has affected his brain.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Despite not liking Eastwood's politics, that inform almost everything he makes, he is a technically good director and I often enjoy his films. This however left me totally cold. So bored we both struggled to get through it. Such a well known story and it added nothing.
With a very limited number of exceptions, his is the "major director's" filmography I hate the most, I would say. I often find his films sickening.

Riz

American Pie Reunion - 7/10
Thought it was a lot better than it should have been. It felt quite fresh and because it had been ten years, that in itself told its own story. Great scene in the gay club with Stiffler dancing.
Think that scenes from the third film isn’t it?

I enjoyed the reunion film, was surprise how little Kevin’s role was though.

littlepeasoup

The Way Back (2020)

Ben Affleck borrows Matt Damon's fat suit in a film that is as much about conquering inner demons as it is about conquering a Catholic high school basketball league. Ben is actually quite good, and the film itself is earnest if a little unsurprising. I probably wouldn't watch it again.

I give it 3 crushed beer cans out of 5.

Nickelodeon

Couple of Anthology movies I've watched lately:

Go (1999): It's quite a fun movie. Sort of like a poor man's Pulp Fiction. Filled with crazy characters and crazier situations. Fast paced as well. 8/10

Traffic (2000):
I was surprised to see that a movie that won 4 Oscars had never been on my radar till now. Though the awards did raise my expectation a bit. Drug trafficking as a concept has been quite well represented in the past decade through Breaking Bad and Narcos. But Soderberg does have a good way of keeping a movie moving briskly (see Contagion) and so does this one as well. Brilliant performances from Del Toro and Douglas make this a very very watchable movie. 7.5/10

Rooney in Paris

Scout
It's all about the crude style.
Fair enough. I don't remember that much about it to be honest, apart from it being mildly entertaining and Denzel... well, being Denzel.
He's pretty gross but The Bridges of Madison County is a masterpiece.
Haven't seen it - I've been so disappointed/disgusted by so many of his films, there's a lot that I've given a miss. But noted. Is this real Nilssy or Covid brain Nilssy talking btw?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Cruel Peter
Peter, a young cnut is buried alive after pissing off too many people. A few years later, the cnut possesses a mute girl and her father then goes on an adventure to free her. Not scary, badly written script and above all else, just boring and forgettable. It had some good moments and ideas but the execution was too flawed. I was completely baffled by the end 2/10

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I had never heard of it before. I was 8 when it happened and the US have had a lot of worse things happening on its soil since then but this story felt relevant to modern times because of the media scrutiny and execution. I don't think a story being known takes away the enjoyment but I kinda get what you mean. I usually don't watch movies which I know the ins and outs of but it sometimes doesn't matter.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I had never heard of it before. I was 8 when it happened and the US have had a lot of worse things happening on its soil since then but this story felt relevant to modern times because of the media scrutiny and execution. I don't think a story being known takes away the enjoyment but I kinda get what you mean. I usually don't watch movies which I know the ins and outs of but it sometimes doesn't matter.
I feel so old :(

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I feel so old :(
I think we're hitting a time where stories just before 9/11 will get told more. College kids born right at those times or after and the world (or the world as Americans knows it) was so different then.

Sylar

Project power

Decent concept, standard movie plot you would expect but lots of fun to be had. Action is good too and it's got Foxx and JGL too

Tarrou

The Way Back is basically Manchester by the Sea with sports and the other Affleck

formulaic and forgettable

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Unfriended: Dark Web (2018) on Netflix 8/10

One of the better movies I've seen in a while. The movie documents a journey from desktop apps to the deep bowels of the dark web. Whilst there, you are shown how vicious criminals hack digital security, privacy and cryptocurrency to achieve their purpose. The plot navigates through romance, humour, suspense, tension and is ultimately downright shocking with horror and terror. It's a movie that will stay with you for a while.

PS: I suggest watching it at your desktop or via a laptop, preferably an apple machine, for extra cinematic experience.
PPS: If you find it abit confusing at first and you're about to give up on it, DON'T! All becomes clear in 2nd half of movie
PPPS: reviews are either 1/10 or 9/10. Would be interesting to see how others find it. Don't read any more reviews as will likely give away storyline.
Searching (2018) on Netflix 9/10

Searching is also a brilliant example of the new genre of 'screencasting'.

Set near Silicon Valley, it tells the story of a father (John Cho) whose 16 year old daughter suddenly goes missing and his fraught and emotional attempt to find her, using technology and social media and with the help of a local police officer.

It tackles many profound and sensitive issues such as the father/teen daughter relationship, bereavement and loss and how Gen Z lives are dominated by social media. The plot has many twists and turns, some of them totally unexpected, especially in the final 15 minutes.

Just like the above movie, I suggest watching it at your desk/lap top (this time in windows if you have it) for extra cinematic experience.

AaronRedDevil

Citizen Kane. A masterpiece they call it. Maybe back then I guess it would be. These days. “Eh”. I expected a bit more. 6/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
The Way Back is basically Manchester by the Sea with sports and the other Affleck

formulaic and forgettable
I loved Manchester By The Sea... I thought The Way Back was completely forgettable. I can't even remember anything from it and I only saw it a month ago.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Surprised to really enjoy Dead Presidents given how poor the reviews are. I actually liked it more than the unrelenting bleakness of Menace II Society. While it was similarly bleak, it had more moments of heart and a wonderfully tense final act. It's not subtle, and the message is so well-trodden that it's full of move cliche, but it's well-made, full of fantastic character actors (Keith David, Bokeem Woodbine, Chris Tucker, Clifton Powell) and cameos (Martin Sheen, Terrence Howard, Michael Imperioli, even Paulie Walnuts shows up!) that make it worth a watch. I was genuinely surprised to see that it's not well regarded, I recommend to anyone after any more films on the African-American experience, or just a solid 90s crime thriller.

Sweet Square

12 Monkeys

I'll need a few more re watches but Jesus what a great film. 90's Bruce Willis might be the most interesting action movie star ever. Also another great Christmas movie.