Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Not seen it but so many DC's are worse ranging from Donny Darko to Apocalypse Now to There is Something About Mary.

The exception is the Final Cut of Blade Runner which is brilliant and a huge upgrade on the original (which I still love as a guilt pleasure for the cheesy voiceover).
I'm assuming that for Apocalypse Now you're talking about the Redux version? Have you watched the Final Cut released last year?

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I watched the 'ultimate cut' of Oliver Stone's Alexander recently. Can't believe he decided not to trim down an unbelievable dull battle scene that had basically no variety to it and lasted around 20 minutes, slapped right near the beginning of the film! Began to zone out when there was still about 3 hours to go.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Didn't know there was one. A new delight. Was it good because Reedux was a downgrade imo.
I don't know what changed exactly otherwise, but I liked the addition of the French plantation. I see the film like a kind of anthropology/psychology trip, so more = better. What did you dislike about it?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't know what changed exactly otherwise, but I liked the addition of the French plantation. I see the film like a kind of anthropology/psychology trip, so more = better. What did you dislike about it?
The added 49 minutes slowed the pace of the film too much I think. It wasn't that I specifically disliked the additions but overall they added little imo. Might work better with the Final Cut as 20 minutes of the additions have been removed or edited down.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Palm Springs

Groundhog day only less funny. They started out with some interesting ideas but didn't develop them at all. A few funny moments but in the end disappointing. 6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The added 49 minutes slowed the pace of the film too much I think. It wasn't that I specifically disliked the additions but overall they added little imo. Might work better with the Final Cut as 20 minutes of the additions have been removed or edited down.
I'll have to watch it again - it's been a while! It had also been a while before that when I saw the redux version, so it was hard to compare properly...

pauldyson1uk

2012 Ice Age

A volcanic eruption in Iceland sends a glacier towards North America, causing everything in it's path to freeze. A family man struggles to escape the onslaught of the coming ice age.
I was not expecting much, after all it is an Asylum film !!! but OMG this is one of the worst.
Acting is dreadful, worse than dreadful, how many stupid decisions can one family make.
Special effects, if that what you call them, look like the were done on an old Amstrad.
The story actually had some merit.

2/10

SirAnderson

2012 Ice Age

A volcanic eruption in Iceland sends a glacier towards North America, causing everything in it's path to freeze. A family man struggles to escape the onslaught of the coming ice age.
I was not expecting much, after all it is an Asylum film !!! but OMG this is one of the worst.
Acting is dreadful, worse than dreadful, how many stupid decisions can one family make.
Special effects, if that what you call them, look like the were done on an old Amstrad.
The story actually had some merit.

2/10
You watched it to the end? :lol: could never do that to myself with B rated stuff. By the sound of it, saying B rated is doing a disservice to B rated films.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Bill and Ted: Face the Music

4/10

Disappointing, but that was expected. Some sparse interesting moments.

Underwater

6.5/10

Lore reveal near the end made it a bit more interesting, and would welcome a possible sequel set in same universe (doubtful though, seems it flopped). Film looked fine, and was refreshing to see all of the crew not fighting between themselves.

pauldyson1uk

Bill and Ted: Face the Music

4/10

Disappointing, but that was expected. Some sparse interesting moments.

Underwater

6.5/10

Lore reveal near the end made it a bit more interesting, and would welcome a possible sequel set in same universe (doubtful though, seems it flopped). Film looked fine, and was refreshing to see all of the crew not fighting between themselves.
I have Bill and Ted to watch, did not think it would be any great shakes.
Underwater sounds decent enough.

Sweet Square

Tried to watch Annihilation after hearing about its Stalker references but gave up an hour in.

I guess there was a reason why Tarkovsky picked a poor trafficker, a alcoholic writer and a depressed scientist instead of a group upper middle class democrats.

Fingeredmouse

Tried to watch Annihilation after hearing about its Stalker references but gave up an hour in.

I guess there was a reason why Tarkovsky picked a poor trafficker, a alcoholic writer and a depressed scientist instead of a group upper middle class democrats.
Just read the books. They're much better.

AaronRedDevil

Glad it's not just me.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Bill and Ted: Face The Music

I was going to avoid this until I read a few good reviews. Oh how wrong they were. The script was utterly shit and hardly raised a smile. The actors playing their daughters were good but everything else was terrible and there being no music was weird. 3/10

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Bill and Ted: Face The Music

I was going to avoid this until I read a few good reviews. Oh how wrong they were. The script was utterly shit and hardly raised a smile. The actors playing their daughters were good but everything else was terrible and there being no music was weird. 3/10
That has made me sad. I was hoping this was going to make me happy, loved the old films.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Stupidly watched “New Mutants”, after it was delayed for 3 years.

Should never have come out.

Absolutely shocking. Worst film I’ve ever watched in the cinema. Sorry.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

Ahhh feck man. A horror influenced superhero film, I was genuinely excited...

Please tell me the only other films you watched in the cinema were Logan and Ragnarok :lol:

JohnZSmith27

I'm probably gonna have to see this just to see how bad it is. After all the delays its mad that they still went ahead and put it out if its really as bad as people are saying.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Ahhh feck man. A horror influenced superhero film, I was genuinely excited...

Please tell me the only other films you watched in the cinema were Logan and Ragnarok :lol:
I’m sorry man. It may be worth a crack - I just thought the acting was genuinely horrendous and I just don’t see much of a point to it at all.

Previously the worst film I’d seen in the cinema was Suicide Squads. Take that what you will.

If you get a positive review of it, it may be worth a look. I just know for a fact I’d never recommend it to my worst enemy.

They really should have just released it online.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I’m sorry man. It may be worth a crack - I just thought the acting was genuinely horrendous and I just don’t see much of a point to it at all.

Previously the worst film I’d seen in the cinema was Suicide Squads. Take that what you will.

If you get a positive review of it, it may be worth a look. I just know for a fact I’d never recommend it to my worst enemy.

They really should have just released it online.
I think I'll just wait until it's in the bargain bucket, which will probably be soon!

Drawfull

Apocalypse Now (any version but I watched Final Cut most recently)

It's very pretty, lots of great cinematography. But as a film - an entertainment-delivery system - it's utter boredom for the majority of its 3 hours.

I've tried loads of times to watch it, Original, Redux, and this. It's just crap. The first hour or so (depending on version) is alright, but the descent into its madness and its love of soliloquy is tedious and saved only by some of the imagery - and by the ending, that's fleeting too.

No idea why it's rated so highly.

4/10, 5 at a push.

I'm off to wash my mouth out, I'm sure.

Sweet Square

Apocalypse Now (any version but I watched Final Cut most recently)

It's very pretty, lots of great cinematography. But as a film - an entertainment-delivery system - it's utter boredom for the majority of its 3 hours.

I've tried loads of times to watch it, Original, Redux, and this. It's just crap. The first hour or so (depending on version) is alright, but the descent into its madness and its love of soliloquy is tedious and saved only by some of the imagery - and by the ending, that's fleeting too.

No idea why it's rated so highly.

4/10, 5 at a push.

I'm off to wash my mouth out, I'm sure.
Don't know if this would help but check out some of the behind the scenes stuff. The decent in madness stuff wasn't far off the reality in the set. The hotel freak out scene with Sheen is genuinely disturbing once you know he isn't really acting but instead have a mini breakdown.

Still I'm slightly bias as I think the film is one of the greatest war films of all time.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Bad Boys (1983)

Very good movie, wow. For a teen prison flick, it's surprisingly gritty and serious. Love these 80s flicks, they never disappoint me.

Interview With the Vampire: Good popcorn and a friend(s) affair, especially since you can take a break during the middle act to do whatever without missing any fun. I don’t know if he is a good actor or just really suited to these roles, but Tom Cruise plays an excellent lunatic. This one, Magnolia, Tropic Thunder...it all works.

12/20
Oooh, it’s slow but it’s one of my favourite ever. Beautiful movie.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don't know if this would help but check out some of the behind the scenes stuff. The decent in madness stuff wasn't far off the reality in the set. The hotel freak out scene with Sheen is genuinely disturbing once you know he isn't really acting but instead have a mini breakdown.

Still I'm slightly bias as I think the film is one of the greatest war films of all time.
One of my favorite films of all time. The documentary is interesting, but I don't think that should influence one's appreciation of the film as a film though.

Sweet Square

One of my favorite films of all time. The documentary is interesting, but I don't think that should influence one's appreciation of the film as a film though.
Possibly although if someone is struggling to get into the film, I can see how the documentary might help. That Sheer scene was quite powerful anyway but it's something else when you know the backstory imo.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Possibly although if someone is struggling to get into the film, I can see how the documentary might help. That Sheer scene was quite powerful anyway but it's something else when you know the backstory imo.
Yeah, true. Or if someone complains about how briefly Marlon Brando appears in the film. Well, this is all they could get out of him! :lol:

Andy_Cole

Tenet

Watched in IMAX. Badass action scenes, mind blowing plots, Robert Pattison cool as feck, ticked every box for me.

9/10

Reiver

Superman II: The Richard Donner cut.

Very good although a few of the scenes were from the screen tests but, overall, I was expecting it to look a lot rougher than it did. Definitely better than the cut that was released. The restored Marlon Brando scenes make a huge difference and really bring the father/son arc full circle.
8/10

Drawfull

Pacific Heights

Michael Keaton smoking in a Porsche rents a room in a house that two newlyweds can't really afford and fecks their lives up.

Hadn't seen for years and bought physically as it's rare on streaming (you can get it in UK with £ on Prime I think), but was worth it.

9/11

Drawfull

Superman II: The Richard Donner cut.

Very good although a few of the scenes were from the screen tests but, overall, I was expecting it to look a lot rougher than it did. Definitely better than the cut that was released. The restored Marlon Brando scenes make a huge difference and really bring the father/son arc full circle.
8/10
Think I have that cut, and never watched, as part of box set. Will check it out.

Drawfull

I'll go through the extras, thanks. I didn't know that at all. I knew Brando was losing it by then, but that's all. It's a decent war film, I agree, just for now for me a shit film.

Sweet Square

Yeah, true. Or if someone complains about how briefly Marlon Brando appears in the film. Well, this is all they could get out of him! :lol:
Yeah all the Brando stuff is crazy. The guy was on a million a week, turned up overweight and was too embarrassed to wear the army uniform, demanded certain actors not be on set while he was acting, lied about reading the source text until the night before shooting and spent most of the talking incoherent shite.

Yet he put in one of the most a iconic film performances of that era. Genius.

I'll go through the extras, thanks. I didn't know that at all. I knew Brando was losing it by then, but that's all. It's a decent war film, I agree, just for now for me a shit film.
There's a ton of good YouTube videos about the behind the scenes stuff and actor interviews. Even if you don't rate the film there's a lot weird and funny stories about its making.