Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Enola Holmes

Fun movie with el from stranger things. Think this suits her much much more than something like the Godzilla movie
Has Cavill too

It's a bit predictable in places but that's not a bad thing. Fun Netflix movie
Yep, watched it yesterday, and fun sums it up. The beginning isn't very well done and I was worried the character would grate me all along, but it was fine once the intro was done.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I watched Young Tiger today, also known as Police Woman. It's a 1973 martial arts film featuring Jackie Chan as the most visible bad guy. It's a pretty bad movie, that uses cliches and punch sound effects way too often, but the fighting is OK and most of it works out in a funny sort of way (including the sudden pseudo-political speech somewhere near the middle). All in all, it's quite watchable, and there are even some nice shots along the way. Not a bad use of only 1h20. ;)

Sweet Square

Gangs of New York

God it really is an awful film. The accents, the fighting scenes, running time,.the soundtrack, etc etc. What happened Martin ?

Thank christ for Daniel Day Lewis.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Watched 5 mins of Hubie Halloween, the new Sandler comedy, thinking it might be a fun easy watch. Nope. Honestly amazed they allowed it on Netflix it's that shit. Couldn't bare to watch any more.
It’s abysmal. It would be hard to start with such a generic, free hit premise, and make something that bad.

UnrelatedPsuedo

How far did you get? I kinda wanna another 5 mins just to see how bad it is again
15 maybe. Then I went to make some food. Came back and it had been running 30 minutes or so. I felt like I knew exactly what had happened while I was gone.

His Swiss Army Thermos was fcuking weird and stupid.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
15 maybe. Then I went to make some food. Came back and it had been running 30 minutes or so. I felt like I knew exactly what had happened while I was gone.

His Swiss Army Thermos was fcuking weird and stupid.
I assumed from the trailer that it's aimed at kids? Little Nicky style?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I assumed from the trailer that it's aimed at kids? Little Nicky style?
Little Nicky is great though (or at least I remember it to be). Feel like a good Sandler movie should appeal to all ages. Maybe that wasn’t the intention this time though.

TwoSheds

I watched Young Tiger today, also known as Police Woman. It's a 1973 martial arts film featuring Jackie Chan as the most visible bad guy. It's a pretty bad movie, that uses cliches and punch sound effects way too often, but the fighting is OK and most of it works out in a funny sort of way (including the sudden pseudo-political speech somewhere near the middle). All in all, it's quite watchable, and there are even some nice shots along the way. Not a bad use of only 1h20. ;)
Watched Martial Arts of Shaolin on Friday, young Jet Li. Pretty good, a hell of a lot of fighting though and some of it is just boring it's so long. I love watching the greats before they were really famous though. 6.5/10

TwoSheds

Little Nicky is great though (or at least I remember it to be). Feel like a good Sandler movie should appeal to all ages. Maybe that wasn’t the intention this time though.
I remember it as being great as well and I wouldn't watch it back now for that reason I don't think. :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched Martial Arts of Shaolin on Friday, young Jet Li. Pretty good, a hell of a lot of fighting though and some of it is just boring it's so long. I love watching the greats before they were really famous though. 6.5/10
Yeah, it's fun. And I'm more interested in Jackie Chan (although he's a secondary character in Young Tiger) because of the Every Frame A Painting (awesome series) episode on him:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Yeah, it's fun. And I'm more interested in Jackie Chan (although he's a secondary character in Young Tiger) because of the Every Frame A Painting (awesome series) episode on him:

I don't enjoy Jacky. The novelty starts to wear off, mind you we asians have been seeing him much earlier before he goes to Hollywood.

His serious acting is often overlooked, when he tries he could do a great job.

PS: See food blogger Mike Chen (He's actually Jacky's illegitimate son)

Good fellas was released 30 years ago this month. Interview with the producer, Irwin Winkler (paywalled) below.

The studio had wanted Tom Cruise as Henry Hill and Madonna as his wife Karen.

I think it's well known Pesci adlibbed the 'funny how?' scene...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/goodfellas-became-hit-had-lot-walkouts-first-murder/
I always thinks Ray Liotta is damn annoying. My least favorite between De Niro and Pesci, although I can't picture Cruise as him

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
It’s abysmal. It would be hard to start with such a generic, free hit premise, and make something that bad.
I think I heard that the entire point of that movie was for it to be terrible. Sandler had said something like if he didnt get nominated or win awards for that serious jewelry dealer movie - that out of revenge he would make the worst movie ever. Which resulted in Hubie Halloween. Still doesn't beat The Room though. So he failed again.

caid

I think I heard that the entire point of that movie was for it to be terrible. Sandler had said something like if he didnt get nominated or win awards for that serious jewelry dealer movie - that out of revenge he would make the worst movie ever. Which resulted in Hubie Halloween. Still doesn't beat The Room though. So he failed again.
Thats a pretty dumb revenge. For a dumb reason. Why do people still give him money to make stuff?

TwoSheds

That jewellery film was shit.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I think it was made before Uncut Gems no?

hungrywing

I don't enjoy Jacky. The novelty starts to wear off, mind you we asians have been seeing him much earlier before he goes to Hollywood.

His serious acting is often overlooked, when he tries he could do a great job.

PS: See food blogger Mike Chen (He's actually Jacky's illegitimate son)...
Source for bolded part, please? (sorry if it's crazy-common knowledge).

Whoa.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
Speaking of Kazan, has anybody seen Panic in the Streets? Richard Widmark trying to quell an outbreak of the plague in New Orleans. Eerily topical in these times.

hungrywing

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You mean this one?

Holy crap, R.N7 hasn't seen The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I believe him. Not like he's trying to cash in. He's not even want to make up.

Would be pretty easy for jackie to squash it if it's false.

Plus it's common secret among asians he does have an illegitimate son. Pretty normal for hk top star back jn the 80s having their romance life hidden

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Watched Zodiac tonight.

Very good movie. Wouldn't say it wowed me in any particular way, but very well put together, and nicely styled.
The scene where he ties the couple up and stabs the guy in the back was brutal. Knew he was going to kill them but didn't realise it was going to be like that. Something especially grim about being so helpless and getting stabbed in the back like that.
I like Jake Gyllenhaal a lot, even though he's always the same.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched Zodiac tonight.

Very good movie. Wouldn't say it wowed me in any particular way, but very well put together, and nicely styled.
The scene where he ties the couple up and stabs the guy in the back was brutal. Knew he was going to kill them but didn't realise it was going to be like that. Something especially grim about being so helpless and getting stabbed in the back like that.
Some actors just have a knack for choosing the right movies; or at least, movies that I like. Anything with Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty much a safe bet for me. There are a few others like that, but somehow I can't think of their names right now. Steve Buscemi may have been one of them...?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Some actors just have a knack for choosing the right movies; or at least, movies that I like. Anything with Jake Gyllenhaal is pretty much a safe bet for me. There are a few others like that, but somehow I can't think of their names right now. Steve Buscemi may have been one of them...?
Yeah there is a few isn't there. I also can't think of any others right now.

Any other recommendations for Gyllenhaal movies? Love Nightcrawler.

Tarrou

Watched Zodiac tonight.

I watched it a couple of weeks back, one thing I didn't get was..

that scene where he went into that guys basement and it heavily implied that was the killer (in my eyes at least), then the guy was never even mentioned again - or if it was I missed it. What was the point of that?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I was looking at his filmography on Wikipedia just now, and realized that I had not watched anywhere nearly as much of his work as I had thought... :nervous: Anyway, from that list, I very much like
Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead, Source Code, Life, and Okja, and I'd recommend them all. That's pretty varied list though; Jarhead might be most similar in mood to Zodiac and Nightcrawler (which I also loved). Prince of Persia I also found amusing pulp. I had Nocturnal Animals on my Netflix list, but I kept being put off by its trailer and eventually decided against watching it; I think it's just not my genre.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I watched it a couple of weeks back, one thing I didn't get was..

that scene where he went into that guys basement and it heavily implied that was the killer (in my eyes at least), then the guy was never even mentioned again - or if it was I missed it. What was the point of that?
I think it was just a curveball and an excuse to do a creepy scene? Arldy Jakey boy did a great job of making it tense.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I was looking at his filmography on Wikipedia just now, and realized that I had not watched anywhere nearly as much of his work as I had thought... :nervous: Anyway, from that list, I very much like
Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, Jarhead, Source Code, Life, and Okja, and I'd recommend them all. That's pretty varied list though; Jarhead might be most similar in mood to Zodiac and Nightcrawler (which I also loved). Prince of Persia I also found amusing pulp. I had Nocturnal Animals on my Netflix list, but I kept being put off by its trailer and eventually decided against watching it; I think it's just not my genre.
Cheers. I've seen Jarhead but ages ago. Should give it another watch. Same with Donnie Darko.
Never seen Brokeback you know?! Nor Source Code, Life, or Okja. Will start working through them.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Cheers. I've seen Jarhead but ages ago. Should give it another watch. Same with Donnie Darko.
Never seen Brokeback you know?! Nor Source Code, Life, or Okja. Will start working through them.
Life is actually horror/thriller. I think Gyllenhaal dies pretty quickly...? Or was that another big name... Very different from the rest, anyway. He's also not a central character in Okja, although that's a film I'd recommend either way.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
House Of The Witch
A group of friends spend a Halloween night at a house that used to supposedly belong to a witch. They get locked in and she picks then off one by one. Bad acting, awful script and dialogue, cliché central, crappy VFX, predictable "scares"... There was nothing good about this. At all. Avoid 1/10

hubbuh

Prisoners is a very decent moody thriller. He did another one with Denis Villeneuve called Enemy which was also very atmospheric but a lot weirder. And don't you dare forget about Day After Tomorrow. Big childhood energy.