Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
The Neon Demon - The art-house The Room, though unfortunately no fun at all.
Refn is trying to be too artistic i feel, which then ruins the film. His series Too Ole to Die Young was far too long, the length of the episodes that is.

If one is into art films like Antonioni, you would like him.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I still can't decide if Only Got Forgives is a masterpiece or a piece of egotistical wank.
I had to watch one half one day and the second half another day, as it was too slow. Good film but i would not be rushing to see his next film.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Refn is a pretentious cretin with some truly moronic films under his belt.
I think he thinks he is much better than he is actually is. Art wise his films are good. Too slow to watch though.

Neon Demon was on a lot of film critics best film of the year lists.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I think he thinks he is much better than he is actually is. Art wise his films are good. Too slow to watch though.

Neon Demon was on a lot of film critics best film of the year lists.
I also saw it on the worst of lists as well.

I loved Drive but everything after that has been hot trash.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I also saw it on the worst of lists as well.

I loved Drive but everything after that has been hot trash.
Yea i agree.

Did you see the amazon series? Painfully long. One epsiode was 100 minutes i think. I had my phone out half the time.

krautrøck

Supports
FC Bayer 05 Uerdingen
When your name is Refn you are pretty much obligated to make artsy as feck movies I feel.

Old Ma Crow

Agreed. I'm surprised not many people have seen this (and even I was late to the party).

If anyone knows any other films that ramps up suspense like this, please let me know.

I've seen Eden Lake and This Is England, both which do a similar thing.
A Lonely Place to Die

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Refn is trying to be too artistic i feel, which then ruins the film. His series Too Ole to Die Young was far too long, the length of the episodes that is.

If one is into art films like Antonioni, you would like him.
Bah, Too Old to Die Young was amazing and Neon Demon was a great original horror.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Happy as Lazzaro. Meanders for a while before turning into something quite strange and good. A holy fool wanders out of rural servitude into the wider world. A wistful fairytale vision.

A little bit The Tree of Wooden Clogs meets Manderlay. Maybe some Angelopolous in there too.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau

A documentary about top class Hollywood feckupery (is that a word?). I guess many of you have heard some of the most famous stories from that set but they really don't compare to the first hand account of that movie. You get detailed accounts from Richard Stanley, the director that got fired, most of the actors (Brando, Kilmer, Thwistle and Mini Me are absent) the stuido execs, extras, the lot.

I can't recount some crazy productions like Herzog's Fitzcarraldo but at least that's a well received movie. Moreau is nothing like that. Started as a dream project for a young director that had storyboarded the movie to the smallest detail to it getting out of hand for him only for his cast to drop out for various reasons and then him getting fired and then a new director taking over who didn't care about the money and let Brando basically change it to his liking at will (piano scene, bucket scene, white face scene). Hell for the production crew but makes for a very entertaining documentary.

As for the movie itself, don't bother. I remembered seeing it as a kid and hating it. Girlfriend wanted to see it first before seeing the doc and it's just pure bad and not in any way comedically bad except for the few moments you actually see Brando on scene.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
BlacKkKlansman

Good film overall. Didn't buy Topher Grace as Duke though, and the Felix guy seemed a bit over the top and cliche. After a quick Google, it seems Grace looks a lot like a young Duke, which must be why he was chosen. It just felt like Topher Grace to me though, yet I'm seeing people on Reddit say he nailed it. In fact the whole thing was a bit over the top and cliche, to the point where it felt like it was a little too light hearted a take on an obviously serious subject to me, or at least not quite gritty enough maybe? I didn't really see the benefit of making it almost feel like a comedy to be honest, but it did make it an easy watch.
Ending, when he was asked to destroy the evidence was gutting. The very end with the modern day clips was quite powerful, and a pretty stark contrast from the rest, in my opinion.

Washington was great, as was Eggold. Soundtrack was enjoyable too.

I feel like they could've made an excellent series out of this. And that would have perhaps suited the whole light hearted, over the top 70s feel a fair bit more, as well as let them really flesh out digging in to the undercover side of it.

Edit: Just seen someone say this on Reddit: 'Someone give Topher grace a hug or something this sort of role must be taxing'
I really didn't get that at all. He just spoke calmly like Topher Grace on the phone for most of it?

Last edited:

hungrywing

Love and Monsters (2020) - 7/10

Good light-hearted escapist fun. You might be rolling your eyes a bit, but you wouldn't be left grumbling and wanting your money back.

The Verdict (1982) - 7.5/10

Hadn't seen this since 1995. Dated for sure, and millennials are going to see 'courtroom drama cliches' everywhere, but it's still good.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
BlacKkKlansman

Good film overall. Didn't buy Topher Grace as Duke though, and the Felix guy seemed a bit over the top and cliche. After a quick Google, it seems Grace looks a lot like a young Duke, which must be why he was chosen. It just felt like Topher Grace to me though, yet I'm seeing people on Reddit say he nailed it. In fact the whole thing was a bit over the top and cliche, to the point where it felt like it was a little too light hearted a take on an obviously serious subject to me, or at least not quite gritty enough maybe? I didn't really see the benefit of making it almost feel like a comedy to be honest, but it did make it an easy watch.
Ending, when he was asked to destroy the evidence was gutting. The very end with the modern day clips was quite powerful, and a pretty stark contrast from the rest, in my opinion.

Washington was great, as was Eggold. Soundtrack was enjoyable too.

I feel like they could've made an excellent series out of this. And that would have perhaps suited the whole light hearted, over the top 70s feel a fair bit more, as well as let them really flesh out digging in to the undercover side of it.

Edit: Just seen someone say this on Reddit: 'Someone give Topher grace a hug or something this sort of role must be taxing'
I really didn't get that at all. He just spoke calmly like Topher Grace on the phone for most of it?
Reddit is the worst for this, it has a habit of overhyping everything.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 yesterday (Netflix). If you want to get angry at the US and the world in general, and how it's changed way too little since 1968/69, look no further. There is a little humor to relieve the tension though. It's also just a very good film, with good acting, great pace, and a very satisfying ending (under the circumstances). Really worth your time.

Moby

Dick
Watched The Trial of the Chicago 7 yesterday (Netflix). If you want to get angry at the US and the world in general, and how it's changed way too little since 1968/69, look no further. There is a little humor to relieve the tension though. It's also just a very good film, with good acting, great pace, and a very satisfying ending (under the circumstances). Really worth your time.
Watched this earlier today, well worth a watch. The cast is fantastic.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched this earlier today, well worth a watch. The cast is fantastic.
Oh, and great dialogues, too!

I didn't know this trial at all and looked up some stuff afterwards. There is some artistic licensed, of course, but it seems the film is generally quite accurate. In fact, the real judge was even crazier!

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Cut Throat City Could have been great but clumsy directing and scripting added to lazy plotlines and caricature instead of character development makes this a frustrating watch. And the contrived ending isn't great. 4/10

MoskvaRed

The Courier: a reasonably entertaining Cold War drama set in the lead up to the Cuban missile crisis with a strong performance by Cumberbatch. The framing is more theatrical than cinematic (the director comes from theatre) and, after reading up on the real case, it seems the film should have presented more ambiguity but, nonetheless, 7/10.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That seems impossible to me. Frank Langella did a great job of making that character look intolerable.
No, for real! I did not read on it in detail, but this is what I got from Wikipedia:

The judge actually ordered Seale's treatment and let it last for days:
Wikipedia on Seale's treatment said:
Seale requested that the trial be postponed so that his attorney Charles Garry could represent him (as Garry was about to undergo gallbladder surgery). The Judge denied the postponement, and refused to allow Seale to represent himself. Seale vehemently protested the judge's illegal and unconstitutional actions, and arguing that they were not only illegal, but also racist. Seale told the courtroom: "This racist administration government with its Superman notions and comic book politics. We're hip to the fact that Superman saved no black people. You got that?...You have did everything you could with those jive lying witnesses up there presented by these pig agents of the government to lie and say and condone some rotten racists, fascist crap by racist cops and pigs that beat people's heads in-and I demand my constitutional rights!" The judge in turn accused Seale of disrupting the court, and on October 29, Hoffman ordered Seale to be bound, gagged, and chained to a chair, citing a precedent from the U.S. Supreme Court case Illinois v. Allen.

For several days, Seale appeared in court bound and gagged before the jury, struggling to get free and managing to make muffled sounds. Defense attorney Kunstler declared, "This is no longer a court of order, Your Honor, this is a medieval torture chamber." This was alluded to in Graham Nash's song, "Chicago", which opened with: "So your brother's bound and gagged, and they've chained him to a chair". Trying Seale with the other seven defendants also proved to be a fiasco, as it was revealed that Seale had not participated in the planning for the demonstration, but had gone to Chicago as a last-minute replacement for Eldridge Cleaver and was only in the city for two days of the convention. Ultimately, Judge Hoffman severed Seale from the case, sentencing him to four years in prison for contempt of court, one of the longest sentences ever handed down for that offense in the U.S. up to that time. Due to the judge's unconstitutional actions, the contempt charges against Seale were soon overturned by the U.S. Court of Appeals.
Crazy contempt convictions:
Wikipedia on contempt citations said:
While the jury deliberated on the verdict, Judge Hoffman cited all the defendants—plus their lawyers Kunstler, Kennedy, Weinglass, Lefcourt, Roberts and Tigar—for numerous contempts of court, imposing sentences ranging from 2½ months to four years. Judge Hoffman gave Kunstler four years in prison for addressing him as "Mr. Hoffman" instead of "Your Honor", Abbie Hoffman received 8 months for laughing in court, Hayden one year for protesting the treatment of Seale, and Weiner two months for refusing to stand when Judge Hoffman entered the courtroom. Despite also engaging in occasional courtroom disruption, it was acknowledged that Froines' courtroom antics were mild compared to those of his other Chicago Seven co-defendants.
Of course, that was all overturned:
Wikipedia on the appeals trials said:
The contempt charges were retried before a different judge, who found Dellinger, Rubin, Hoffman, and Kunstler guilty of some of the charges, but did not sentence any of them to jail or fines.
Hoffman wasn't actually removed from the bench for any of this:
Wikipedia on Hoffman's career said:
In 1974, author Joseph Goulden wrote a book called The Benchwarmers, which was an exposé of the powerful and often private world of federal judges. Goulden conducted an in-depth investigation of Judge Hoffman and pointed out that he had an abrasive reputation among Chicago lawyers even before his most famous case. Goulden mentioned a survey that had been done among Chicago attorneys who had recently appeared before the judge and 78% had an unfavorable opinion of him. They responded overwhelmingly negatively to the questions, "Does he display an impartial attitude?" and "Is he courteous to both the prosecution and defense?"

In 1982, the Executive Committee of the United States District Court ordered that Hoffman not be assigned any new cases because of his age and complaints that he was acting erratically and abusively from the bench. However, he continued to preside over his ongoing cases until his death from natural causes the next year, a week before his 88th birthday.

pauldyson1uk

2 Graves in the Desert

A man and woman wake to find themselves tied and gagged in the trunk of a pick-up truck and it soon becomes clear that they have been kidnapped and taken as hostages. Their two kidnappers have their own agenda, and it's not a pleasant one.
Michael Marsden and Alex Baldwin.
It was shite, utter shite.

2/10

pauldyson1uk

Evil Takes Root

Paranormal investigator Felix Fojas arrives in a sleepy Midwest town to investigate the mysterious loss of his old lover, Amanda, and reconcile sins of the past. He discovers she fell victim to the Batibat, an ancient evil that followed her home from the Philippines. Now Felix must battle the forces of evil and unravel the mystery of the Batibat in order to save Amanda's daughter, Sarah, from its hellish grip.

It was OK , seen worse , seen a lot better.
The story was decent, I could have been a whole lot more scary and the ending is very predictable.
5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watched The Old Guard yesterday. Decent popcorn film, not nearly as bad as I had seen written. The ending is a bit lame though; you'd expect something a bit more historically grounded or bigger/more involved (à la Indiana Jones) given the premise of the group. But anyway, entertaining enough, and I always enjoy Matthias Schoenaerts's performances.

Superunknown

Watched The Hunt last night, starring Mads Mikkelsen. Knew nothing about it and it was one of those "check wiki to see what the general reviews were like" and it turned out to be quite decently received. I thought it was fantastic. Well acted, a plot that made a lot of sense and quite painful to watch at times due to the plight of the main character. Would definitely recommend. Thought the ending was paced just about right, in that it had a quick resolution but still remained very bitter-sweet.

The general plot is that a man in a small town has an accusation made against him. It's a Danish first, so subtitled, but it does contain the odd bit of English here and there. Thought the setting really added a lot to the film and it often appears quite bleak, but totally in fitting with the tone that the film is going for. Really enjoyed it.

hubbuh

The Devil All the Time - I enjoyed it. Bleak depiction of post-war American bible belt. It didn't stay with me, although the soundtrack was pretty great.

Old Ma Crow

Kill me 3 times - quirky, enjoyable Aussie crime comedy with Simon Pegg as a hit man and a nice cameo by Bryan Brown.

Superunknown

Winter's Bone, a film where Jennifer Lawrence has to basically do fecking everything herself to keep her family from losing their home. Great film, I thought. It's grim and you can't help but simultaneously feel sorry and proud of Jennifer Lawrence's character, since she endures so much and displays tons of strength. It doesn't paint a pleasant picture of certain/many areas of America, where people are stuck on a certain rung of the ladder without any hope of working their way out of that situation. Worth seeing, for sure.