Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Withnail

I don't know if this is right place for this as I haven't seen it and wouldn't be able to due to the sheer cringe worthiness of the accents.

Surely the Hague should be notified for Crimes against Ireland?

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Holidate
A man and woman who don't want to be in relationships hook up on holidays. Stats ok but no real story, just a bunch of set pieces. Not the worst thing I've seen 5/10

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I don't know if this is right place for this as I haven't seen it and wouldn't be able to due to the sheer cringe worthiness of the accents.

What in the actual feck?

Jamie Dornan is (Northern) Irish and even he manages to make his accent awful :lol:

Amazing that Ireland is still portrayed like this by the Yanks. "oh look what you could have if you moved to big city New York". We're a more fecking developed country than you you knob ends.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yikes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Goes without saying it looks absolutely shite. And the accents are beyond dire. But the biggest red flag is a trailer that summarises the entire plot, from start to finish. What were they thinking?!

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Did you watch theTV Series?
No, the film.
I enjoyed that movie. It was total nonsense but it was a lot of fun.
A few scenes were memorable but the whole premise was so stupid it turned me off from the get go. Then kept getting stupider as it went on. I enjoyed Tilda Swinton's teeth and that "school" scene but nothing past that.
It was like a Hideo Kojima social commentary film. Subtle as a sledgehammer to your skull.

Sweet Square

imo movie studios are now deliberately making bad trailers for clicks.

diarm

I saw that trailer earlier. I was half way through telling my wife that Dornan's bloody Irish and that's still the worst Irish accent I've ever heard...

... then Blunt opened her mouth.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I saw a weird, interesting little film at the cinema a week ago, called She dies tomorrow. The premise is rather simple, the main protagonist, Amy, clearly suffering from some form of depression, tells her friend that she is going to die the next day. Strangeness ensues.

It's written and directed by Amy Seimetz who has appeared in or directed quite a few other films or TV shows. A lot of subtext throughout the film (the notion of a dangerous idea being passed from one person to another, the treatment of the mentally ill...) and some striking imagery make it one of the films I've most enjoyed watching this year, and that I'd like to re-visit in a few months as I'm sure I'm still missing loads.

Feels like something @dumbo @R.N7 would enjoy

Drawfull

I saw a weird, interesting little film at the cinema a week ago, called She dies tomorrow. The premise is rather simple, the main protagonist, Amy, clearly suffering from some form of depression, tells her friend that she is going to die the next day. Strangeness ensues.

It's written and directed by Amy Seimetz who has appeared in or directed quite a few other films or TV shows. A lot of subtext throughout the film (the notion of a dangerous idea being passed from one person to another, the treatment of the mentally ill...) and some striking imagery make it one of the films I've most enjoyed watching this year, and that I'd like to re-visit in a few months as I'm sure I'm still missing loads.

As well as cinemas, it's available on iTunes (£3.99) so I assume other digital platforms too. I have it for the weekend, looking forward to watching it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
As well as cinemas, it's available on iTunes (£3.99) so I assume other digital platforms too. I have it for the weekend, looking forward to watching it.
That reminds me, the movie industry is so fecked. I wanted to watch an old movie recently (can’t remember which one, maybe Gremlins? Or Shawshank Redemption?) and there was literally no way I could watch it legally. How does a whole industry let that happen? People want to pay for their shit but can’t. And 30 years ago this wasn’t a problem. Ludicrous.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Hold the Dark ?/10

Not even sure what that was. I watched mainly because of Alexander Skarsgård. Most of his movies are decent but this is a whole other story. I may have to re-watch just to make some sense of it.
I thought this movie was fantastic. Multiple layers going on.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'll have to give it another watch when I'm not half asleep.
Yeah, it requires some thinking because it's big on symbology. Noir and crime fiction is my thing though so I loved it. As a sidenote, I like a lot of Macon Blair's projects - Blue Ruin, Green Room, I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Florida Project, etc.

Drawfull

That reminds me, the movie industry is so fecked. I wanted to watch an old movie recently (can’t remember which one, maybe Gremlins? Or Shawshank Redemption?) and there was literally no way I could watch it legally. How does a whole industry let that happen? People want to pay for their shit but can’t. And 30 years ago this wasn’t a problem. Ludicrous.
They're both on iTunes UK so probably something else and Gremlins just had a 4K disc release / upgrade.

There's a lot that are hard to get hold of though, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern (studio/actor or whatever). As you say, it's ludicrous. When Apple (in my case) made the need for Torrents irrelevant, I switched to being legal immediately.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue

It's possible.

My red hot rec for you, @dumbo and @Archie Leach this year is Petzold's Transit. Bona fide modern classic.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
His House

Decent thriller/horror masking as political comment on the refugess crisis. Compelling lead performances from Sope Dirisu (Gangs of London) and Wunmi Mosaku. Worth a watch.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Inheritance
After dying, a rich patriarch of a family leaves a secret inheritance to his oldest daughter that threatens to ruin the family's lives. Starring Lily Collins, The Deep and Simon Pegg in a very different role than we're used to. It started off great, I was really hooked for the first act. Then the characters become stupid, the plot becomes predictable and the whole film falls apart 4/10

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Anyway, happy noirvember.

That list is utter crap. Too many older ones that are in no way classics. Too few Asian or continental European films that are classics

Postman Always Rings Twice, Inherent Vice way too low

Too many missing:
Man from Nowhere, Man from England, Man Who Knew Too Much, Who Killed Cock Robin, Black Coal Thin Ice, Touch of Sin, Run Lola Run, Coup de Torchon, Sorceror, History of Violence, Brick, No Country for Old Men, After Dark My Sweet, Miller's Crossing, The Last Seduction, A Simple Plan, Serie Noire, Le Crece Rouge, Memories of Murder, I Saw the Devil, Drive (FFS), Thief, Play Misty for Me, Cold in July, Oldboy

^ all those are better than at least 25+ on that list.

Vertigo isn't technically a Film Noir or a Neo-Noir

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
That list is utter crap. Too many older ones that are in no way classics. Too few Asian or continental European films that are classics

Postman Always Rings Twice, Inherent Vice way too low

Too many missing:
Man from Nowhere, Man from England, Man Who Knew Too Much, Who Killed Cock Robin, Black Coal Thin Ice, Touch of Sin, Run Lola Run, Coup de Torchon, Sorceror, History of Violence, Brick, No Country for Old Men, After Dark My Sweet, Miller's Crossing, The Last Seduction, A Simple Plan, Serie Noire, Le Crece Rouge, Memories of Murder, I Saw the Devil, Drive (FFS), Thief, Play Misty for Me, Cold in July, Oldboy

^ all those are better than at least 25+ on that list.

Vertigo isn't technically a Film Noir or a Neo-Noir

The problem with the list, and many other lists of it's ilk, is the mixing of neo-noir and proper film noir. A correctly done film noir list should only include films made between 1940-1960, so it should be easy enough to compile a second list with the more vaguely defined neo-noir genre.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
What do you think of Marseille? Always seems like a dreamy place in the movies but could well be a shithole i rl idk.
It used to be a shithole but it's gotten massively gentrified over the past few years. I haven't been in a while but my French friends swear by it. Great cultural life, really nice nightlife, restaurants, bars, and some stunning places (calanques for ex) very close to the city. A lot of Parisians who are fed up of the life in the capital are opting for it as a place to go live, which would never have been the case 10 years ago.

It's still got some dodgy/violent areas (notably north of the city) but it's currently undergoing a lot of changes.

Sweet Square

What did you watch this on? I've been trying find it for ages (being a moderate Tim & Eric fan)
Yeah like yourself I've been looking everywhere and couldn't find it. But the whole thing is up on youtube for free. The video is only two weeks old so you might want to watch it soon. It's in 720p as well but for some reason certain swear words have been cut(It doesn't really make a big difference to the film).

Just type in The Comedy 2012 full movie in the search bar.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cadaver
Norwegian horror/thriller on Netflix about a family who visit a charity theatre in a post-nuclear world and soon find the attendees disappearing. Gorgeous cinematography, good performances and a decent premise. I wish it took a few left turns as it felt a bit predictable but overall I enjoyed it 7/10

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
It used to be a shithole but it's gotten massively gentrified over the past few years. I haven't been in a while but my French friends swear by it. Great cultural life, really nice nightlife, restaurants, bars, and some stunning places (calanques for ex) very close to the city. A lot of Parisians who are fed up of the life in the capital are opting for it as a place to go live, which would never have been the case 10 years ago.

It's still got some dodgy/violent areas (notably north of the city) but it's currently undergoing a lot of changes.
Alright! I've always had it in mind as the French city after Paris I'd wanna go to, mostly due to the romantic image.
Seen it. Thought it was great. Franz Rogowski is quite something.
He's like a subtler Joe Phoenix.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
American Sniper

Biggest pile of shite movie I’ve ever seen. Far worse than Sex and the City 2.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
American Sniper

Biggest pile of shite movie I’ve ever seen. Far worse than Sex and the City 2.
:lol:
I remember thinking it would have been far more interesting if they just focused on him after he gets back home. The sniper stuff was pure shite.