Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There's a bit in crimes of grindelwald where one character explains his backstory through flashback only to be interrupted by another character explaining her backstory through flashback. That latter flashback being the second time the film used flashback to explain that one character's backstory, having done so previously just before she spoke to a different character who also had his backstory explained through flashback. But the flashback that interrupted the other flashback also turns out not to be correct, with the truth being explained by an entirely different character whose backstory we learned about through flashback.

At that point someone should have handed the script back to Rowling and said "do better".

Drawfull

There's a bit in crimes of grindelwald where one character explains his backstory through flashback only to be interrupted by another character explaining her backstory through flashback. That latter flashback being the second time the film used flashback to explain that one character's backstory, having done so previously just before she spoke to a different character who also had his story explained through flashback. But the flashback that interrupted the other flashback also turns out not to be correct, with the truth being explained by an entirely different characters whose backstory we learned about through flashback.

At that point someone should have handed the script back to Rowling and said "do better".
Yup, it's almost like they don't actually watch the edit. Related but off topic, I like The Grand Tour, but it does this so often in its specials and it drives me nuts.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The first Fantastic Beasts is good, you should give it a go. Crimes of Grindelwald is shite, yes.
That's what I read on Wikipedia, too. The thing is, I'm anyway kinda done with big action blockbusters and fantasy, so I'll probably give it a pass anyway. The first thing that annoyed me about Grindelwald was that there wasn't a shot in the first 10 min that wasn't predominantly done with the computer, and I don't expect that to be much different for Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. But it might be another pick of my wife's in the future. ;) First it'd have to return to our Netflix though.

Drawfull

That's what I read on Wikipedia, too. The thing is, I'm anyway kinda done with big action blockbusters and fantasy, so I'll probably give it a pass anyway. The first thing that annoyed me about Grindelwald was that there wasn't a shot in the first 10 min that wasn't predominantly done with the computer, and I don't expect that to be much different for Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. But it might be another pick of my wife's in the future. ;) First it'd have to return to our Netflix though.
If you can get past the CGI in Harry Potter you'll be fine with the first one although it's pretty constant. You've kinda spoiled stuff by watching in the wrong order though which might dilute the first for you and the wife..

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
If you can get past the CGI in Harry Potter you'll be fine with the first one although it's pretty constant. You've kinda spoiled stuff by watching in the wrong order though which might dilute the first for you and the wife..
Yeah, it was better for me in HP, although my fed-up-ness (now a word) with CGI-dominated action/fantasy films is more recent, and I wasn't big on the final HP films either.

It's funny how that changes. I used to absolutely love that stuff, but now don't even care to see The Hobbit trilogy (which indeed I still haven't).

Drawfull

Yeah, it was better for me in HP, although my fed-up-ness (now a word) with CGI-dominated action/fantasy films is more recent, and I wasn't big on the final HP films either.

It's funny how that changes. I used to absolutely love that stuff, but now don't even care to see The Hobbit trilogy (which indeed I still haven't).
The Hobbit and LOTR's 4k releases are really, really good. I can think of only a few CGI scenes over 20 hours which were a bit jarring. I wouldn't let the CGI put you off at all, especially Hobbit - it looks incredible streamed or on disc.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Hobbit and LOTR's 4k releases are really, really good. I can think of only a few CGI scenes over 20 hours which were a bit jarring. I wouldn't let the CGI put you off at all, especially Hobbit - it looks incredible streamed or on disc.
It's not that I think the CGI is poorly done, it's about the general look, feel, and genre of the relevant films. Something to so with scale as well. I loved LotR and saw them all in cinema when they came out, but I don't particularly care to see them again now.

Fingeredmouse

Given how it was filmed it should do but the films still won't be very good.

hubbuh

The Godfather holy cannoli, rewatching this film is one of life's great pleasures. 'In Sicily, women are more dangerous than shotguns'. 14/10.

Fingeredmouse

I didn't know that. If my projector says 24fps, is that 'cos it's a shit projector or disc player magic?
They shot at 48fps but almost nobody could show it. After the Unexpected Journey (where people felt sick seeing the movie at 48fps) they seemed to give up. However, as it was filmed at such high fidelity it should look incredible at 4k, even at 24fps.
I know feck all about movie cameras, so this understanding could easily be bollocks.

Drawfull

They shot at 48fps but almost nobody could show it. After the Unexpected Journey (where people felt sick seeing the movie at 48fps) they seemed to give up. However, as it was filmed at such high fidelity it should look incredible at 4k, even at 24fps.
I know feck all about movie cameras, so this understanding could easily be bollocks.
Gemini man got loads of shit for being 60fps, I'll have to watch Unexpected again, I'm sure it's not at 48 but maybe,. Feck knows. But it does look incredible, it's stunningly good.

Fingeredmouse

Gemini man got loads of shit for being 60fps, I'll have to watch Unexpected again, I'm sure it's not at 48 but maybe,. Feck knows. But it does look incredible, it's stunningly good.
No, the bluray won't be but the whole trilogy was shot at 48fps.
AUJ got a limited cinematic release at 48fps but everyone hated it. Most cinemas didn't have the technology to screen it anyway.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Rewatched Star Trek: Beyond. I had enjoyed the middle segment last time, I think I should commit myself to an asylum for ever thinking that. What an utterly shit and pointless action movie it is. 4/10.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They go to Greenland at the end, don't they? Or maybe they don't. I was very drunk when I saw this at the cinema.
Yeah but there's no particularly logical reason why they would need to go to Greenland other than because they wanted to call the film that. If anything having an apocalypse fallout bunker on the other side of the world when you have only about 3 days to get it ready and get people in it seems needlessly impractical.

Sweet Square

You ya cnut!

This scene has always creeped me out and amazed me at the same time. ''Gritty'' and ''Dark'' are two words that get overused in cinema now but it's really works for this film. There's something just so grim and real about it.

Also if you haven't already check out a film called Catch Me Daddy

it's a very similar tone

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I wonder why this is the case. I'm on a mac and using safari for the most part, maybe that might have something to do with it ?
Not a clue, possibly! Have to take it up with the admins.
I'd think not, cause the HTML code is exactly the same in both instances. That's anyway forum-generated, it shouldn't be browser-dependent. Is this for all of Sweet Square's tweets or just this one?

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Greyhound

I didn't really get the point of this film. Loads of technical navy jargon, a bunch of blokes that had no stand-outs among them, Tom Hanks just being Tom Hanks in a pea coat and not much else. Some fella kept making food that didn't get eaten and for some reason they cast Stephen Graham as a yank who played with a compass a lot. They just kept sailing around a lot looking wet and tense. Why were the U-boats always on the surface where they could be easily taken out?

A force 5 nor'easter out of ten.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I'd think not, cause the HTML code is exactly the same in both instances. That's anyway forum-generated, it shouldn't be browser-dependent. Is this for all of Sweet Square's tweets or just this one?
All of them. I'll quote the post I put in the admin forum below. I'm on Firefox if that's any use.
Sorry to bump this again but I'm having issues with embedded tweets. If I open pages as new tabs they don't load (but when I enter the tab and reload the work). I also can't see any tweets embedded by @Sweet Square no matter what I do, for some strange reason. It's not a major issue for me just curious as to what could be causing this.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
All of them. I'll quote the post I put in the admin forum below. I'm on Firefox if that's any use.
Very weird. I'll let them handle it. (The general tweets issue might have to do with various ad and security blocks. Anyway, I should stick to my word and let them handle it!)

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Very weird. I'll let them handle it. (The general tweets issue might have to do with various ad and security blocks. Anyway, I should stick to my word and let them handle it!)
Hah! Yeah thanks anyway though man. Best to get this thread back on-topic too.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Watching The Highway men later. Hope to feck it’s good.
I liked it. No stand-out film, but fine in its genre. Some of the historical details are interesting from a modern-way perspective (and actually true).

AaronRedDevil

Lawless is super! I went through a phase a few weeks ago catching up with stuff like that. The Untouchables, Donnie Brasco, Public Enemies and so on. Also picked up the really extended cut of Once Upon a Time in New York, but haven't got around to it yet.
I've been meaning to watch a bunch of older movies I've already seen. Like gangster squad, public enemy or 300. I Was actually going to watch Once upon a time in NY before picking Lawless. It's been a long time since I've seen that movie since I cant remember any of it.

Drawfull

I've been meaning to watch a bunch of older movies I've already seen. Like gangster squad, public enemy or 300. I Was actually going to watch Once upon a time in NY before picking Lawless. It's been a long time since I've seen that movie since I cant remember any of it.
Will grab Gangster Squad off iTunes, really enjoy Ryan Gosling/Emma Stone stuff.