Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Well you kind of need to think about Dr. Strangelove in the context of the time when it was released. To show the absurdity of the Cold War was hugely important to the counter culture movement. Watching it now doesn't give anything like the impact that would be experienced if you saw it in 1964, just a few years after the Cuban missile crisis. Failsafe is the serious version of Kubrick's film and still a good watch in itself. The dangers of becoming inexorably locked into actions enforced by a rigid system that was supposed to prevent catastrophe. People finally began to question stuff more and more and Kubrick captured the insanity perfectly.

Balljy

I actually have not. Just put off by anything that has Kubrick attached to it. Maybe I'll give it a go at some point.
Barry Lyndon is a pretty straight forward character piece in terms of story and is actually my favourite film of Kubrick's. It has his genius film making, but put into a story which is more mainstream than a lot of his other work.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Barry Lyndon is a pretty straight forward character piece in terms of story and is actually my favourite film of Kubrick's. It has his genius film making, but put into a story which is more mainstream than a lot of his other work.
I'll try it cheers!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Barry Lyndon is great but not the film I'd recommend to get someone into Kubrick.

Sweet Square

Jonathan Glazer is the closest we have to a modern day Kubrick.

Under The Skin And Sexy Beast might be worth checking.

Balljy

Barry Lyndon is great but not the film I'd recommend to get someone into Kubrick.
:lol: I'm not sure, I guess it depends on what the person is in to. If I was trying to get my Mum into Kubrick I'd probably go with it as it is a period drama at heart, albeit one that is slow paced and with a lot of Kubrick shots and deliberately emotionless in ways.

MoskvaRed

Paths of Glory is probably Kubrick’s most accessible film.

Given the wide range of literary sources he used, I would like to have seen Kubrick adapt a JG Ballard story. I think those two were made for each other.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Shinning, The Killing, Paths of Glory, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, A Chocolate Orange, 2001, Spartacus, Strangelove, Eyes Wide Shut, Barry Lyndon, and then all the shorter stuff if you're still awake.

I'd show them from left to right with a pipette on standby.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Arrival (2016)

What a fecking letdown. Another generic scifi flick on non-linear time crap. Throw in some sad orchestral music at the end and you got the nominations wrapped up.

How this is rated 7.9 on IMDB is beyond me.

Sorry, needed to rant.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Judas and the Black Messiah is a really excellent film with mighty fine acting and direction.

It depicts the events leading up to the United States' murder of Fred Hampton, through the life of the FBI informant.
It works as a drama, parable, portrait and an honouring of the spirit of the age.

The film's balance of tone and drama make it a superlative piece of historical fiction. It brilliantly deploys a stylised shorthand, making the story concise and accessible and avoids relying on reductive cliche.

Rather than a biography of Fred Hampton (something that in addition needs making), the film serves as a portrait of place and time - of feeling.

It's working in the same area as Blackkklansman and The Trial of the Chicago 7, but what sets Judas and the Black Messiah apart is its politically astuteness, its creativity and dramatic intelligent, and its ability to provide real historical insight.

Shaka King has made a great film.
Watched this this evening, it was excellent. Really enjoyed it and completely agree with your take on it. I loved the portrayals by the 2 leads.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Bait, best film of 2019.
Really interest to see Jenkin's upcoming horror film. Love the concept.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Paths of Glory is probably Kubrick’s most accessible film.

Given the wide range of literary sources he used, I would like to have seen Kubrick adapt a JG Ballard story. I think those two were made for each other.
Always felt Concrete Island would make a great black and white short film.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bleach
Adaptation based on the anime/manga. Haven't ever watched anything related to this franchise but the film had good, fun action set pieces. Mess of a story but that's what I expected anyway 5/10

I think the COVID situation has messed up my tast in movies because I find myself watching things I know I won't enjoy, but when watching something 4-5 times per week I just need a break from good movies, it would be like having cake and steak every day.

Mortal Combat (1995)
Quite awful. 3/10

Blind Fury (1989)

Rutger Hauer is a blind ninja fighting bad guys, quite enjoyable. 7/10

Barbarella (1968)

Cool sci fi semi exploitation. Something to watch with your girlfriend... 8/10

Double Impact (1991)

What's better than one Van Damme? Two Van Dammes. Actually quite enjoyed it, the two Van Dammes have distinct personalities to the extent that it's slightly parodical. 7/10

Valhalla Rising (2009)

I feel like I should like all of Refns movies, but it's just too much style over substance for me. 6/10

Solaris (1972)

One of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen, and probably my favourite Tarkovsky movie 10/10

Rock Star (2001)

Don't know why I do this to myself. Awful and cringy. 2/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
@R.N7 Tagging you as you're probably the only one who cares but I watched In Another Country (Sang-soo) last night and it had my brain melting.

I expected something fairly straightforward but what I got was several stories of a woman going through different events of what is roughly the same story in the same location where characters play different versions of themselves, and sometimes there's imagined moments within those sections.

Have you seen it?

Of course it immediately started with one of those weird zooms which had me laughing since you mentioned it before.

Edit: I've just learned it was based on the woman writing scripts which separates the sections. I thought she was telling a true story :lol:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think the COVID situation has messed up my tast in movies because I find myself watching things I know I won't enjoy, but when watching something 4-5 times per week I just need a break from good movies, it would be like having cake and steak every day.

Mortal Combat (1995)
Quite awful. 3/10

Blind Fury (1989)

Rutger Hauer is a blind ninja fighting bad guys, quite enjoyable. 7/10

Barbarella (1968)

Cool sci fi semi exploitation. Something to watch with your girlfriend... 8/10

Double Impact (1991)

What's better than one Van Damme? Two Van Dammes. Actually quite enjoyed it, the two Van Dammes have distinct personalities to the extent that it's slightly parodical. 7/10

Valhalla Rising (2009)

I feel like I should like all of Refns movies, but it's just too much style over substance for me. 6/10

Solaris (1972)

One of the best sci fi movies I've ever seen, and probably my favourite Tarkovsky movie 10/10

Rock Star (2001)

Don't know why I do this to myself. Awful and cringy. 2/10
Nice list.
I re-watched Valhalla Rising last week and it's still a rather effective film, though I certainly feel Refn overindulges with the films length and pacing at times.

Tarko's Solaris is a great film, even though the great man himself was indifferent towards it. For me, its one of the most thought provoking Science fictions films produced, been meaning to read the book.
Still not in my top 3 of Tarkovsky films,though.

Kombat ffs spell it right! And it's amazing mate! None of it makes any sense but that soundtrack was just :drool:
Very sorry, won't happen again. I didn't hate it, but I watched it right after Street Fighter, which I thought was amazing, and was hoping for more of the same, but alas. Look forward to the new one though :devil:
Nice list.
I re-watched Valhalla Rising last week and it's still a rather effective film, though I certainly feel Refn overindulges with the films length and pacing at times.

Tarko's Solaris is a great film, even though the great man himself was indifferent towards it. For me, its one of the most thought provoking Science fictions films produced, been meaning to read the book.
Still not in my top 3 of Tarkovsky films,though.
Agree, really like the exploration theme in a more introspective way, really intriguing. Also really liked the way he manages to make 70s Moscow look slightly futuristic with some clever shots, no CGI needed.

And I don't really disagree with Valhalla Rising. Was very well done, I just wanted a bit more content, though I realize it is exactly what it's supposed to be.

caid

Speaking of Rutger Hauer I watched Split Second a couple weeks ago.
Set in the distant future of 2008 when London has been flooded by global warming and smog blocks out the sun all day (so you dont have to deal with day shots!). Tough guy cop Rutger Hauer with his coffee and chocolate addiction must hunt down a serial killer who takes the heart from his victims.
Its brilliant schlock. Contains every cop thriller trope that exists and has a scene where 'We need big facking guns' is said about 40 times. Oh and a young Kim Cattrall is in it ;)

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Set in the distant future of 2008 when London has been flooded by global warming and smog blocks out the sun all day (so you dont have to deal with day shots!). Tough guy cop Rutger Hauer with his coffee and chocolate addiction must hunt down a serial killer who takes the heart from his victims.
Its brilliant schlock. Contains every cop thriller trope that exists and has a scene where 'We need big facking guns' is said about 40 times. Oh and a young Kim Cattrall is in it ;)
I love this movie. 10/10

That actually seems awesome, will watch it asap.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
@R.N7 Tagging you as you're probably the only one who cares but I watched In Another Country (Sang-soo) last night and it had my brain melting.

I expected something fairly straightforward but what I got was several stories of a woman going through different events of what is roughly the same story in the same location where characters play different versions of themselves, and sometimes there's imagined moments within those sections.

Have you seen it?

Of course it immediately started with one of those weird zooms which had me laughing since you mentioned it before.

Edit: I've just learned it was based on the woman writing scripts which separates the sections. I thought she was telling a true story :lol:
l0l yeah there's all kinds of narrative games and doubling going on in his deceptively straightforward films that one could quite easily miss.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
Arrival (2016)

What a fecking letdown. Another generic scifi flick on non-linear time crap. Throw in some sad orchestral music at the end and you got the nominations wrapped up.

Sorry, needed to rant.
I went to the cinema to watch that crap.

el3mel

Gone Girl (2014) :

Lackluster first half which felt like a slog to watch but second half was mostly interesting and entertaining. The ending sucked hard though and left me feeling like I somewhat wasted my time.

7/10

Last edited:
Hard Boiled (1992)
Lethal Weapon meets The Departed. Quite cool if you enjoy exessive and prolonged action scenes in that style + a good cop story. 7,5/10

Monster Hunter (2020)

Needed more monsters and hunting. 5,5/10

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

I had been warned that Keanu Reeves's prescence in this film is bad as in bad-bad, not funny-bad, and I have to say it wasn't exaggerated. His performance sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise kind of good movie. 7/10

Ghosts of Mars (2001)

Perfect camp. 9/10

The Green Butchers (2003)

I always find it funny how Mads Mikkelsen is cast as intimidating bad guys in international productions, when his roles in Danish are the complete opposite. I think I like him even more in these weirdo pathethic roles :lol: 9/10

Barbarian Queen (1985)

Always a bit of a hit and miss with these quest adventure movies from this period. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's unwatchable trash like this. 2/10

Cast a Deadly Spell (1991)

Detective noir meets lovecraftian fantasy, an unusual combination. Really cool. 8/10

I, Frankenstein (2014)

Don't know what I was thinking with this one. Terrible. 1/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Do you generally dislike films like these or is it just Kubrick that you can't stand? If it's the latter: do have any similar films that you like?
Kubric. There is zero emotional connection to the characters in his films which I hate and 2000 is just gibberish which I especially hated. His best films were The Shining but he blew it by totally missing the point of the books and just allowing Jack Nicholson to ham it up, and Full Metal Jacket which was very good in the first half but the second half filmed in London, pretending to be SE Asian jungle, was utterly unwatchable.

I'm not sure about what constitutes similar films but Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now and 3 Colours Blue are all in my top 5 films of all time.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Arrival (2016)

Sorry, needed to rant.
I loved it. Arrival and Blade Runner 2049 are the best Sci Fi films in quite some time IMO.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Contract Killer (1998):
Hong Kong action film starring Jet Li. The opening 25 minutes is absolutely insane and great fun, just watch that and nothing else. So many great scenes. The closing 10 minute action climax is very good. The middle ... the plot stops multiple times for no reason, and it gets way too complicated. The dub was AWFUL, added a totally out-of-place rap soundtrack, and also killed some plot elements (Chinese and Japanese are apparently both spoken, but nothing here indicates what's what).
6/10 mostly for the beginning.

Arrival is good, as is Blade Runner, and 2049, and also 2001. All good.

Last edited:

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I like this from Terry Gilliam on Kubrick

This gem from the comments:

I think that Spielberg took this criticism on board in Crystal Skull. Just like at the end of 2001:SO, the ending of Crystal Skull made me go "What the feck was that?!"

:lol:

Last edited:

OleBoiii

I'm not sure about what constitutes similar films but Godfather 2, Apocalypse Now and 3 Colours Blue are all in my top 5 films of all time.
It's been ages since I saw The Godfather 2, but isn't that a pretty straight-forward film? As in: what you see is what you get? There may be some symbolism here and there, but overall it's not a very confusing film and the ending is pretty conclusive.

Since I'm a fan of constructing my own scales and lists:

1. Completely straight-forward
Your typical Hallmark movie that takes you from A to Z. If you get confused it means that you're stupid, didn't pay attention or the director did an absolutely terrible job. These movies are typically not worth analysing, as there wont be a deeper meaning or hidden messages. This is also the most common category for most blockbusters and superhero movies,.

2. Straight-forward but layered
Quite similar to the one above, but more layered. There will be other themes beyond the main story and maybe even some "Easter eggs" for the more observant watchers. These movies are the safest movies because both critics and the general audience can enjoy them(when done well). They may be slightly more difficult to follow and more ambitious, but you'll rarely feel confused. The endings will be conclusive and the message of the director is typically quite clear.

3. Cross between straight-forward and artistic
This is basically Kubrick's category(for the most part). You have a main story that is fairly easy to follow, but there will be a lot of strange things happening along the way that can throw you off. The main difference between this category and the category above is the level of confusion, as you'll probably have several questions once the movie is done. Some of those questions may not even have answers and you'll be left to draw your own conclusions. A lot of the enjoyment comes from reading what other people think about the movie. Generally speaking, movies in this category will do poorly with the general audience. There are some exceptions, though. Fight Club and Parasite arguably fit this category and they are both hugely popular.

4. Mostly artistic, but a story thread exists
This is where you're more or less guaranteed to lose most viewers. The film will be too abstract and confusing for most people. There is a story thread, but the things happening are so strange and maybe even non-sensical that you begin to wonder whether story really matters or not. Practically everyone will be confused after the first viewing and further reading/analysis will often feel like a necessity. I guess Eyes Wide Shut is a very good example of this category. You could make an argument for Burning as well.

5. Completely abstract
As the header suggests there will be no logic and perhaps not even a deeper meaning. It's 100% up to the viewer to find his/her own meaning. I don't think I've ever seen a movie like this. Even the most artistic movies I've seen have had some form of story at the core.

TLDR; if you generally don't like movies in category 3(or 4 and 5 for that matter), then Kubrick is probably not gonna be your cup of tea.