Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The Dry The best Australian film since Rabbit Proof Fence and probably the best film bar none this year. Eric Banna is superb. 9/11

Last edited:

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Godzilla vs Kong

Terrible movie with laughable acting and nothing characters. Started to regret putting it on about 3 minutes in and that feeling never ended, even after the film actually ended. I can't believe a cgi mutant ape has more of an acting range than 90% of the actors in this movie. There is one girl in this who has one single facial expression for 2 hours.

feck off and die / 10

AaronRedDevil

Godzilla vs Kong

Terrible movie with laughable acting and nothing characters. Started to regret putting it on about 3 minutes in and that feeling never ended, even after the film actually ended. I can't believe a cgi mutant ape has more of an acting range than 90% of the actors in this movie. There is one girl in this who has one single facial expression for 2 hours.

feck off and die / 10
So it's good? No one cares about the shitty human characters for this movie. Do the monsters beat the hell out of each other? That's all anyone cares about.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
So it's good? No one cares about the shitty human characters for this movie. Do the monsters beat the hell out of each other? That's all anyone cares about.
Well human characters make up the clear majority of this film so no it's not good. Even if you discount most of the movie and care only for the monster scenes those are also shit. There is no weight to anything in this. Watch it if you hate Hong Kong I suppose.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Just finished. Far far better than I remembered. The two central performances and eventual building of a relationship is truly excellent and superbly done.

My main gripe is that the ferry bit seemed a bit clumsy compared to the sublty of the rest of the film. But I loved it.

Blue is still the masterpiece, the emotional connection and the journey from despair to liberty from the past is brilliant. However, Red is very close. White is good but not a patch on the other two
Yeah, the ferry was very gimmicky, also the way it brought the main characters from the other movies back...

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Godzilla vs Kong

feck off and die / 10
I started the movie but stopped it as soon as King Kong started scratching his butt. Probably 1 minute in. Absolutely zero desire to keep watching after that.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Godzilla Vs Kong
Mawkish, sociopathic onanism. A purile, pathetic, Cartesian tech-wank fantasy. Atrocious gawping performances, from cheap, tacky characters, explaining tedious, lumpen exposition and shallow, manipulative back stories. Fake spectacle; a bludgeoning incomprehensible cacophony of harsh sound and flashing lights, crap modelling and sensory obscuration. An incessant lens flared, slow-mo, quick cut, shaky cam mulch, with poor colour and clarity, bad sound, a shoddy sense of scale, form and composition. Pure unadulterated corporate shite wrapped in a franchise tag, without an ounce of artistry or integrity.

There are no more films, movies, visions, just production line imitations.
Godzilla vs Kong

Awesome, if you’re not a pretentious wanker.

9/10
Shots fired :lol:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The Father (2020) : What a brilliant movie. This was just so sad, there're literally two scenes left me with tears in my eyes. It's so easy to relate to characters with such awful disease and how some of them are badly treated, especially with Hopkins fantastic performance that catch your attention in every scene. Short, compact and focused, great movie, just be ready to get heart broken during watching it. 9/10
Cannot wait to see this. I just find Anthony Hopkins so brilliantly compelling in everything he does. I have heard nothing but marvellous reviews of this.

decorativeed

Godzilla Vs Kong
Mawkish, sociopathic onanism. A purile, pathetic, Cartesian tech-wank fantasy. Atrocious gawping performances, from cheap, tacky characters, explaining tedious, lumpen exposition and shallow, manipulative back stories. Fake spectacle; a bludgeoning incomprehensible cacophony of harsh sound and flashing lights, crap modelling and sensory obscuration. An incessant lens flared, slow-mo, quick cut, shaky cam mulch, with poor colour and clarity, bad sound, a shoddy sense of scale, form and composition. Pure unadulterated corporate shite wrapped in a franchise tag, without an ounce of artistry or integrity.

There are no more films, movies, visions, just production line imitations.
Godzilla vs Kong

feck off and die / 10
I started the movie but stopped it as soon as King Kong started scratching his butt. Probably 1 minute in. Absolutely zero desire to keep watching after that.
Sounds like you guys need to watch Rampage. I think it'll be right up your street.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Hitler: Eine Karriere (documentary)

I'm currently still watching but I just had to write a post because all the footage is fascinating. I was a bit surprised at how much footage there is of Nazi Germany in the 30s.

That being said, the stage designs and rallies were something else. Flags, eagles, costumes, lighting, they sure put a lot of effort into making themselves look ominous as hell.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Hitler: Eine Karriere (documentary)

I'm currently still watching but I just had to write a post because all the footage is fascinating. I was a bit surprised at how much footage there is of Nazi Germany in the 30s.

That being said, the stage designs and rallies were something else. Flags, eagles, costumes, lighting, they sure put a lot of effort into making themselves look ominous as hell.
Where are you watching this?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Netflix. But you're American, right? I'm not sure if the American version of Netflix has this documentary.
I see we do have it in Canada, for what it's worth.

Oh, he anyway answered in the meantime. :)

0le

I watched "The Accountant", currently available on BBC iPlayer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m82y/the-accountant

It was an interesting film but I can't get away from the fact that the majority of films which involve an character with autism, grossly stereotype certain traits. The vast majority of people on the spectrum are not mathematical geniuses and certainly not "savants". For a good number of people you would probably not be able to tell they are autistic as well. So whilst I tried to enjoy the film, I couldn't stop thinking about these issues.

el3mel

Logan (2017) : I have been making a run through the X Men series by Fox recently and while there are some very fun flicks and some boring ones, this one stands out as it has a different tone to the rest of the series. I felt the first 30 minutes were a little bit slow but after that it's almost near perfect in what it wants to offer, which is a one last emotional ride with aging Xavier and Logan and exploring their characters at such stage of their life. Of course, the villain could have been better or more memorable as he's forgettable for the most part, but he's not the main focus here. Best to look at this as a character driven story rather than a big plot. The chemistry between the characters and their dialogue was just fun to listen to.

It's just a well crafted movie. 9/10.

Dante

Average bang
Soul:

Excellent.

In the same vein as Inside Out, in that it tries to distill the human condition into a digestible cartoon format. It's should be required viewing for every kid.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Bad Trip (Netflix)

Really funny. Kind of like Dumb & Dumber but with Borat-style hidden camera/unsuspecting public stuff.

8/10

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Sorry! I was drawn to the review as it was not of the typical silly, kiddie-oriented, monster, superhero drek variety. It has gone into my mental viewing queue. I am a fan of Eric Bana, yet somehow forgot he was Aussie.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sorry! I was drawn to the review as it was not of the typical silly, kiddie-oriented, monster, superhero drek variety. It has gone into my mental viewing queue. I am a fan of Eric Bana, yet somehow forgot he was Aussie.
I mean 9/20 was a harsh review. Sorry - shit jokes are a speciality.

It isn't an especially groundbreaking film but I enjoyed it more than a little.

I watched "The Accountant", currently available on BBC iPlayer:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000m82y/the-accountant

It was an interesting film but I can't get away from the fact that the majority of films which involve an character with autism, grossly stereotype certain traits. The vast majority of people on the spectrum are not mathematical geniuses and certainly not "savants". For a good number of people you would probably not be able to tell they are autistic as well. So whilst I tried to enjoy the film, I couldn't stop thinking about these issues.
Loved this as an action thriller. The car scene on the farm is brilliant.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Bohemian Rhapsody

Thoroughly enjoyable. With these music biopics I’m not looking for much beyond great music and a good sense of the era and general atmosphere. This ticks the boxes nicely.

7/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Overlord

A violent WWII movie about some troops on a secret mission turns into Re-Animator: Nazi redux.
Fast-paced, gory, entertaining genre mash up that won't strain any brain cells.

8/10

Last edited: