Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I'm in a nostalgic mood so tonight I will mainly be watching 'Point Blank' starring the brilliant Lee Marvin.

pauldyson1uk

The Resort

Four friends head to Hawaii to investigate reports of a haunting at an abandoned resort in hopes of finding the infamous Half-Faced Girl. When they arrive, they soon learn you should be careful what you wish for.
It sounded half decent and to be fair there is a decent film with the story, just not this one, it was dreadful.
A poor mans Mist, a very poor mans.

3/10

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Sound of metal
Riz Ahmed plays a heavy metal drummer that experiences hearing issues.

It moves along rather slowly at times but it really draws you in. Ahmed was really good.
8/10.

Another English actor masquerading as an American. Boy, the Brit actors these days are doing really well in Hollywood.

Sweet Square

Sound of metal

It moves along rather slowly at times but it really draws you in. Ahmed was really good.
8/10.

Another English actor masquerading as an American. Boy, the Brit actors these days are doing really well in Hollywood.
If you want to watch this movie but with loads of coke, house music and a giant badger you should give It's All Gone Pete Tong a go.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Sound of metal

8/10.

Where did you watch this??

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Hana-Bi (1997)

Takeshi Kitano plays a seasoned law enforcer who loses his badge and also gets on the wrong side of some mean old yakuza loan sharks.

What follows isn't a bang bang shoot 'em up but instead a meditative journey as Kitano attempts to find peace in a world where he knows only violence.

Vicious deaths - of which Kitano is usually the cause - are juxtaposed with quiet scenes, like one where he sits by his dying wife, watching her fish.

The film deftly asks the question - are we more than the constituent parts of our past. Also how do we get away from pressure exerted on us by others?

Kitano doesn't know because the film is very much in that Camus-ian vein where desire to find meaning conflicts with an irrational and chaotic universe.

Rentable for £3.49 via BFI Player.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Mansfield Park. The 1999 version, which diverts from the novel by bringing parts of Austin's own life into the main character's story, and also slavery. As such, it's a very liberal adaptation of the book - and all the better for it. It's not as stilted and awkward, and in some ways downright unpleasant, as many films based on or similar to Austin's work, and more palatable for modern sensitivities. That might make it less historical (although I suspect the usual version is also a rather romanticized version of that period of time, i.e. ca. 1800), but it's definitely more enjoyable, and actually much better than I expected - even if the way they quickly tie everything together at the end is maybe a little too sweet.

A Call to Spy. About women spies used by the UK during WWII, focusing on the exploits in France of two of them, and their boss back in London. It's an interesting angle and I'm happy to now know more about its subject (it's apparently pretty historically accurate); but as a film I felt it ultimately doesn't work so well. It shows these women establishing and proving themselves as real spies through their work, but the narrative remains a little lacklustre. A couple of things happen, they do well (each in their own circumstances - not everything ends well), film's over. Not much dramatic arc that caught my attention. Still, I'm happy to have seen it.

Watched both on Netflix btw.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Hana-Bi (1997)

Takeshi Kitano plays a seasoned law enforcer who loses his badge and also gets on the wrong side of some mean old yakuza loan sharks.

What follows isn't a bang bang shoot 'em up but instead a meditative journey as Kitano attempts to find peace in a world where he knows only violence.

Vicious deaths - of which Kitano is usually the cause - are juxtaposed with quiet scenes, like one where he sits by his dying wife, watching her fish.

The film deftly asks the question - are we more than the constituent parts of our past. Also how do we get away from pressure exerted on us by others?

Kitano doesn't know because the film is very much in that Camus-ian vein where desire to find meaning conflicts with an irrational and chaotic universe.

Rentable for £3.49 via BFI Player.
I remember seeing this in a cinema. Really enjoyed it.

Antebellum
Successful author Veronica Henley finds herself trapped in a horrifying reality and must uncover the mind-bending mystery before it's too late. A decent movie, tried something a little different and had a good twist but there were some bad performances and the themes were too heavy handed 6/10

el3mel

I watched Godzilla (2014) recently, as I thought I'd do the same and it was well reviewed. I expected a bit of dumb fun but I was so bored by it I can't remember anything after the first half.
I decided to start my run through this series and watched this 2014 movie tonight. Oh boy, I didn't believe what I had watched. Godzilla is literally a side guest in this movie. It appears for the first time after one hour then disappears again to appear for an underwhelming fight in the last 10 minutes. Rest is just humans talking and talking. The problem is, with how much talking they're forcing on you, the acting was bad and the story is very uninteresting to say the least. The Godzilla design is cool but what's the point when it appears for less than 20 minutes in a 2 hours long movie ?

If the rest of the series is like this it'll be underwhelming. I'll try to watch the rest this week before talking about the Godzilla vs King Kong one.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
I decided to start my run through this series and watched this 2014 movie tonight. Oh boy, I didn't believe what I had watched. Godzilla is literally a side guest in this movie. It appears for the first time after one hour then disappears again to appear for an underwhelming fight in the last 10 minutes. Rest is just humans talking and talking. The problem is, with how much talking they're forcing on you, the acting was bad and the story is very uninteresting to say the least. The Godzilla design is cool but what's the point when it appears for less than 20 minutes in a 2 hours long movie ?

If the rest of the series is like this it'll be underwhelming. I'll try to watch the rest this week before talking about the Godzilla vs King Kong one.
I suppose you already watched Godzilla (1998), right? That's a proper one.

Last edited:

el3mel

yeah, I know, sorry I didn't make myself clear before.

I meant, did you already watched the 1998 version? That one is much better than the 2014 one (crap).
Oh OK. Sorry as well for misunderstanding. Unfortunately, no, I didn't watch the 1998 one. Actually I'm not really a monsters movies fan but I wanted to watch this series just due to the hype surrounding the last one before its release.

But I will try to watch the 1998 one in the future if it's better than whatever 2014 was trying to offer.

caid

Oh OK. Sorry as well for misunderstanding. Unfortunately, no, I didn't watch the 1998 one. Actually I'm not really a monsters movies fan but I wanted to watch this series just due to the hype surrounding the last one before its release.

But I will try to watch the 1998 one in the future if it's better than whatever 2014 was trying to offer.
I'd just watch the most recent one. None of them were particularly good. That godzilla movie is probably one of the better ones for actually featuring godzilla. The 3rd film in the series is meant to be worse for endless boring human drama and impossible to see monster fights that stay on screen for about 20 secs at a time. I think the reason the recent one is so popular is it focuses more on the monsters than the previous ones.
Mind you Kong was fairly enjoyable.

el3mel

I'd just watch the most recent one. None of them were particularly good. That godzilla movie is probably one of the better ones for actually featuring godzilla. The 3rd film in the series is meant to be worse for endless boring human drama and impossible to see monster fights that stay on screen for about 20 secs at a time. I think the reason the recent one is so popular is it focuses more on the monsters than the previous ones.
Mind you Kong was fairly enjoyable.
Deary me.. Are you telling me there is even more human talking in the other movies before the last one? :lol: Did they really know what people actually want when they watch movies like these?

reelworld

Logan (2017) : I have been making a run through the X Men series by Fox recently and while there are some very fun flicks and some boring ones, this one stands out as it has a different tone to the rest of the series. I felt the first 30 minutes were a little bit slow but after that it's almost near perfect in what it wants to offer, which is a one last emotional ride with aging Xavier and Logan and exploring their characters at such stage of their life. Of course, the villain could have been better or more memorable as he's forgettable for the most part, but he's not the main focus here. Best to look at this as a character driven story rather than a big plot. The chemistry between the characters and their dialogue was just fun to listen to.

It's just a well crafted movie. 9/10.
Logan is still my favorite Marvel movie to date. Winter Soldier probably a really close second given how fun that was.

muller

Wonder Woman 1984.

Absolutely dreadful. Awful dialogue, promising story ruined by awful writing. Ok fight and action scenes.

Gal Gadot is still incredibly hot, and the costume is just.. i mean.. shes so hot.

2/10 (2 points for sheer :drool: of WW.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002)
I suppose it's a parody of the genre, and they are sometimes onto something really funny, but it misses the mark too often and just becomes unberably stupid. Did not enjoy. 3/10

The Beastmaster (1982)

As of yet it's the only other movie in this specific subgenre which matches Conan, which is impressive. Awesome if you enjoy straight faces sword and sorcery. I've been told they unintentionally mistreated some of the animals though, which is sad. 8/10

Godzilla (2014)

Decided to catch up with the first two before watching the newest one. I have the impression that it's considered quite shit, but wasn't that awful. Needed more Bryan Cranston, but the worst I can say is that it was a bit bland. 6,5/10

The Da Vinci Code (2006)

Don't know what madness made me rewatch this. Worse than I remember, totally bland and uninteresting. 5/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Just Say Yes
Incurable romantic Lotte finds her life upended when her plans for a picture-perfect wedding unravel -- just as her self-absorbed sister gets engaged. Cliched rom com cantered around a wedding. Had some funny moments. The lead actress looked like a horse. Not sure why I watched it 4.5/10

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Speaking about Godzilla, anybody seen Shin Godzilla and is it worth renting for £3?
It's a very good movie, Godzilla is just a tool to show how Japanese bureaucracy deals with a natural disaster, as in Fukushima. More of political satire than a monster movie.
Yeah I thought Shin Godzilla was great, but it isn’t a monster movie in remotely the same sense as these big daft things are... The monster looks incredibly goofy for a start - deliberately, as it’s supposed to be a kind of nuclear scarred mutant that’s constantly evolving - but the scene where he destroys Tokyo with his fire breath or whatever is easily the most effecting version of such a scene I’ve seen... though it helps that Godzilla is unequivocally something we’re meant to be scared of, and not a big cuddly protector knocking down all the buildings to save us from... another thing knocking down the buildings, or something.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The Courier (2019):
Awful. Unimaginative. Useless. Bad acting, bad dialogue, scenes that make no sense.
3/10 - 1 point for gore and 2 for some decent action scenes.

edit 2/10 removing a point for a twist ending that was beyond awful. god this movie sucked.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Thunder Force (2021; Netflix)
This “stars” Melissa McCarthy and Octavia Spencer as two girls that meet at high school, drift apart and eventually reunite as middle age super hero women that fight miscreants, which are like mutants in X-men.
The acting and script is really poor so save yourself the bother and skip this one.
3/10. (For the silliness which is only sometimes ok in this).

Last edited:
The Last Valley (1971)
Pretty much a perfect movie. It has that sense of realness which very few historical movies manage to convey. Think Aguirre and/or Flesh+Blood. A band of mecenaries spend the winter in an isolated village in the alps during the 30 year war. Standout performance from Michael Caine, I didn't know he could be this good. Cannot recommend it enough. 10/10
(Edit:
Not for the faint-hearted)

Mystery Men (1999)
The perfect superhero movie for people who find the concept inherently silly. In tone it's like a mix of The Office and Zoolander, but with people who think they're superheroes. Surprisingly good. 8/10

MoskvaRed

The Courier (2019):
Awful. Unimaginative. Useless. Bad acting, bad dialogue, scenes that make no sense.
3/10 - 1 point for gore and 2 for some decent action scenes.

edit 2/10 removing a point for a twist ending that was beyond awful. god this movie sucked.
Just to avoid confusion, there was another film called “The Courier” released last year which is actually quite good. A Cold War spy film based on a true story with Benedict Cumberbatch. A 7/10.