Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Synchronic

Designer drug time travelling shenanigans, with the Fifty Shades guy and one of the shit Avengers (Anthony Mackie). Not to be confused with the earlier time travel film of similar name which sounds better than this, to be honest.

Anyway, it's a bit hit and miss. I thought the premise of how the drug works could have been used in much grander ways, and so it feels a bit constrained from time to time. The acting is adequate, and for what it is the story is OK.

5.5/10
Shame, had high hopes for this one (Mackie aside).

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Upgrade (2018, watched on Netflix). An Australian 'cyberpunk action thriller', about a guy who becomes quadriplegic through an assault, gets a chip implant so he can work with the computer to get his movement back, and then starts looking for his revenge. While that sounds like you're typical brainless revenge flic, it's actually quite clever with a great twist at the end. In fact, the more I think of it, the more I think they have quite cleverly covered all the plot holes that I thought I was noticing. If you're into the genre, I really recommend it.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Upgrade (2018, watched on Netflix). An Australian 'cyberpunk action thriller', about a guy who becomes quadriplegic through an assault, gets a chip implant so he can work with the computer to get his movement back, and then starts looking for his revenge. While that sounds like you're typical brainless revenge flic, it's actually quite clever with a great twist at the end. In fact, the more I think of it, the more I think they have quite cleverly covered all the plot holes that I thought I was noticing. If you're into the genre, I really recommend it.
Netflix do some great documentaries

muller

Anti-Life - Netflix (2021)

1/10. Absolutely dreadful. Only 90 minutes, but had force myself to stick it out. Struggle to think of a good thing to say about it. Bad acting, bad script, bad story, bad effect. Bad.

Drawfull

Anti-Life - Netflix (2021)

1/10. Absolutely dreadful. Only 90 minutes, but had force myself to stick it out. Struggle to think of a good thing to say about it. Bad acting, bad script, bad story, bad effect. Bad.
I can't remember from what, but this changed its name from production to release, never a good sign and BW has gone to the feckitifitmakesmoney stage. Didn't mind his Death Wish, though.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Breakaway (2011 film; on Netflix). It's a feelgood comedy about a group of Indian Canadians who like playing hockey and form a team to compete in a regional competition, while their best player has to deal with his ego and the traditional Sikh family expectations of his dad. The acting isn't great, there are some plot holes, especially who suddenly everything comes together in the last scene (that's not a spoiler, a good ending is inevitable from the start) - but if you don't think about it too long, this is really a fun feelgood film with lots of good jokes. Not sure why it got panned by the critics this much; it isn't quite the worst film out there and isn't pretending to be anything more than it is either.
For a second I thought "wow they've made that film about the super League real quick"

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
For a second I thought "wow they've made that film about the super League real quick"
I thought about that (unrelated to the other film), and it sounds really boring to me. A film about a popular uprising about a outrageously capitalist, dehumanizing ploy to take football away from the people - failing because of a popular uprising that manages to return football to... an outrageously capitalist, dehumanizing venture with full promotion and relegation.

Except if they add a plot twist like the end of Gladiator and bring football back to its pre-professional state, of course. Making the film essentially a prequel to the The English Game series.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
I thought about that (unrelated to the other film), and it sounds really boring to me. A film about a popular uprising about a outrageously capitalist, dehumanizing ploy to take football away from the people - failing because of a popular uprising that manages to return football to... an outrageously capitalist, dehumanizing venture with full promotion and relegation.

Except if they add a plot twist like the end of Gladiator and bring football back to its pre-professional state, of course. Making the film essentially a prequel to the The English Game series.
I would prefer if they went with the POV of Daniel Levy and how he managed to convince the other clubs that Spurs are an elite team.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I would prefer if they went with the POV of Daniel Levy and how he managed to convince the other clubs that Spurs are an elite team.
And then it finishes with the downer of Spurs being out of the ESL, out of any prizes, and without a coach. Basically like Arsenal. Maybe we can twin them. Brutal but true.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Devil’s Own

Twenty minutes of flicking through Netflix led me to this. To my surprise it’s set against the backdrop of The Troubles. Brad Pitt plays the hottest IRA guy ever, in exile in New York attempting to transport some stinger missiles by boat back to the motherland to continue the struggle. Feelings of guilt start to creep in as he bonds with his unwitting host family, and then things get complicated and the plot goes to complete shite. Pitt’s accent is just about acceptable, as is the usual Hollywood Irish kitsch. No idea what the point of it was though, and can’t think why I’d recommend it beyond the lead performances from Pitt and Harrison Ford.

3/10 (also because Wee-Bey from The Wire has a brief cameo)

Devil’s Own

Twenty minutes of flicking through Netflix led me to this. To my surprise it’s set against the backdrop of The Troubles. Brad Pitt plays the hottest IRA guy ever, in exile in New York attempting to transport some stinger missiles by boat back to the motherland to continue the struggle. Feelings of guilt start to creep in as he bonds with his unwitting host family, and then things get complicated and the plot goes to complete shite. Pitt’s accent is just about acceptable, as is the usual Hollywood Irish kitsch. No idea what the point of it was though, and can’t think why I’d recommend it beyond the lead performances from Pitt and Harrison Ford.

Agree on this one, was very disappointing.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Devil’s Own

I feel the underlined bit is a fairly accurate description of most Harrison Ford movies since around that time. I still watch then though. :nervous:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Love And Monsters
Really fun apocalyptic movie with heart. The lead was great and the monsters looked fantastic. Oh, and the dog was a brilliant character! Maybe it's because I haven't seen a good movie in a very long time but I really enjoyed this. Hoping they make more in the series 8/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
How to train your dragon: The hidden world. Part 3 of what's supposed to be a trilogy. If you're interested, I'd recommend watching part 1 again instead. That one was pretty alright: a limited set of characters, a clear narrative and direction, and a satisfying ending. Not great by any means, but a solid animated kids blockbuster. Since then, they've kept adding characters and dragons, causing the world and action to become fuller and fuller, an messier and messier. They also don't really have any meaningful story left to tell, so you kinda meander your way through something unnecessary. If they ever end up making a part 4, I hope my kids will choose to watch part 1 again instead.

I feel the underlined bit is a fairly accurate description of most Harrison Ford movies since around that time. I still watch then though. :nervous:
Some of them are decent though, like Patriot Games. Speaking of Harrison Ford, Mosquito Coast (1986) is very good, for those who like him. Apparently his personal favourite.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Some of them are decent though, like Patriot Games. Speaking of Harrison Ford, Mosquito Coast (1986) is very good, for those who like him. Apparently his personal favourite.
I was thinking of late 90s onwards, but yeah, there are some good films among them either way - like Bladerunner.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The Father

I’m not sure what to say. Brilliant, just brilliant. Anthony Hopkins with a performance that will just blow you away. Honestly struggling to think of a better acting performance ever, that I’ve seen. Just titanic.

10/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Love And Monsters
Really fun apocalyptic movie with heart. The lead was great and the monsters looked fantastic. Oh, and the dog was a brilliant character! Maybe it's because I haven't seen a good movie in a very long time but I really enjoyed this. Hoping they make more in the series 8/10
I won't bother with a review as I 100% agree. The only thing I'd add is that the film had far more emotional depth than you would expect from this type of film.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Nobody (2021) : Very good action flick starring Bob Odenkirk, tongue in cheek, 90 mins long, really enjoyed it.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Raiders of the lost ark
Watched this for the first time since the late 90s. Didn't age well honestly. Sure Harrison Ford will always be cool, but having watched The Mummy the night before (we're in a nostalgic mood) I actually enjoyed that more.

Heresy I'm sure.

Tonight we're watching Die Hard. I know I will love that still.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Swallowtail Butterly (1996)

A Japanese crime, coming of age, arthouse movie about a group of down and outters living in an alternate version of Japan inhabited by immigrants trying to make their way in the world.

The plot is novelistic in the sense there's tons of character and plot arcs, most of which centre on people trying to find (or hide) a mysterious cassette tape that comes out of a dead yakuza.

It's all filmed on handheld cameras with a fly-on-the-wall style, and uses tons of jump cuts and includes scenes that feel like they're straight out of a 90s alt-rock music video.

Structurally it's a total mess but it's got a huge sense of ambition so the least you can say is that it's unique. The closest equivalent would be something like a Jacques Rivette movie.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Vice. It's a bit all over the place, also in quality sometimes, but I like it. It's a biography of Dick Cheney that explains a bit how he became the man he was as VP to Bush Jr. in particular, and tries to show what kind of political legacy he left behind - which is more about a way of governing, the role of the US president, and ways to influence public opinion than actual public policy, but pernicious and destructive irregardless.

The acting is superb from everyone, and a lot of the storytelling (often using dark humour including visual jokes) is quite good. The film also has an anarchistic streak in how it puts together shots and styles. Sometimes it falls flat though, and there are some loose ends or random inserts. It's also ultimately a little distressing (for me, anyway) to watch a film about a real-life evil Machiavellian like Cheney. But if you're into the subject or genre, it's still a great film, I think.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Vice. It's a bit all over the place, also in quality sometimes, but I like it. It's a biography of Dick Cheney that explains a bit how he became the man he was as VP to Bush Jr. in particular, and tries to show what kind of political legacy he left behind - which is more about a way of governing, the role of the US president, and ways to influence public opinion than actual public policy, but pernicious and destructive irregardless.

The acting is superb from everyone, and a lot of the storytelling (often using dark humour including visual jokes) is quite good. The film also has an anarchistic streak in how it puts together shots and styles. Sometimes it falls flat though, and there are some loose ends or random inserts. It's also ultimately a little distressing (for me, anyway) to watch a film about a real-life evil Machiavellian like Cheney. But if you're into the subject or genre, it's still a great film, I think.
Bale’s transformation into Cheney is quite something.

M15 Red.

Early Man.

Stone Age Mancunian cavemen take on Bronze Age Euro pretenders in a game of football. A thoroughly enjoyable plasticine romp for all the family.

7/10.

Drawfull

Raiders of the lost ark
Watched this for the first time since the late 90s. Didn't age well honestly. Sure Harrison Ford will always be cool, but having watched The Mummy the night before (we're in a nostalgic mood) I actually enjoyed that more.

Heresy I'm sure.

Which The Mummy? not the Cruise one, surely?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
A bit OT, but I'm only getting HD playback of Zack Snyder's JL cut on Apple TV boxes, but 4K through their app on a Samsung telly. Anyone got the same?
Yeah I run into that. Especially with HBO Max which didn’t have apps at first after it‘s messy rollout.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Bale’s transformation into Cheney is quite something.
True; it took me a couple of moments to actually recognize him underneath all the make-up etc. I think Bale is one of my favorite actors right now (regardless of this transformation stuff).
Early Man.

Stone Age Mancunian cavemen take on Bronze Age Euro pretenders in a game of football. A thoroughly enjoyable plasticine romp for all the family.

7/10.
Yeah, it's fun. And appropriate on the forum. From a trivia website:
  • The scene where one of the commentators refers Dug's team as "Early Man Utd" was a reference to the Manchester United Football Club, commonly known as Man Utd.
  • The uniforms that Dug's team were wearing for the match were the colours of the uniform that Manchester United F.C. wears when they played in matches on.
Raiders of the lost ark

Heresy I'm sure.

As for the bolded: yes. Burn you heathen!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Anyone following Oscars this year?

Quo Vadis, Aida? is Bosnian nominee for foreign film and it got some really good reviews(I haven't seen it yet), but there's also Another Round with Mads there obviously being the favourite basically just because there's Mads there. I watched Another Round few months ago and hardly finished it in three nights, I seriously can't see what is so good about that film, so I am bit mad because it's good chance for us again after No Man's land and the topic is Srebrenica(everyone needs to witness that), so I really want Aida to win it.