Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Carolina Red

Staff
Vice. It's a bit all over the place, also in quality sometimes, but I like it. It's a biography of Dick Cheney that explains a bit how he became the man he was as VP to Bush Jr. in particular, and tries to show what kind of political legacy he left behind - which is more about a way of governing, the role of the US president, and ways to influence public opinion than actual public policy, but pernicious and destructive irregardless.

The acting is superb from everyone, and a lot of the storytelling (often using dark humour including visual jokes) is quite good. The film also has an anarchistic streak in how it puts together shots and styles. Sometimes it falls flat though, and there are some loose ends or random inserts. It's also ultimately a little distressing (for me, anyway) to watch a film about a real-life evil Machiavellian like Cheney. But if you're into the subject or genre, it's still a great film, I think.
I very much enjoyed it

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Thank you for saving me.
I haven't seen it, but based on everything I've read about it so far, it seems to feature a whiny guy with a midlife crisis, sentimental life lessons, and great octopus footage. I'd love the latter, but I'd rather watch a nature documentary for that.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I haven't seen it, but based on everything I've read about it so far, it seems to feature a whiny guy with a midlife crisis, sentimental life lessons, and great octopus footage. I'd love the latter, but I'd rather watch a nature documentary for that.
Octopus is a very cool animal. Cuttlefish too.

Just struggling to find anything on Netflix lately and this keeps popping up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Octopus is a very cool animal. Cuttlefish too.

Just struggling to find anything on Netflix lately and this keeps popping up.
Yes, very cool - very intelligent as well apparently.

If you're considering this, I would take one of the nature documentaries that Netflix has. Some pretty good ones over here in Canada anyway.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yes, very cool - very intelligent as well apparently.

If you're considering this, I would take one of the nature documentaries that Netflix has. Some pretty good ones over here in Canada anyway.
I struggle with nature docs as I just can't bear seeing animals killing each other even though it's natural.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I struggle with nature docs as I just can't bear seeing animals killing each other even though it's natural.
There are some specialized cool ones though, like Dancing with the Birds (about bizarre mating rituals), Night on Earth, and Life in Colour. I haven't seen the last one yet, but not as much predator-kills-pray stuff in those.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm not following the Oscars as usual but I will check in the morning to see if my boy Riz Ahmed wins. Meet him at a wedding, really nice dude.

M15 Red.

Is this film about the octopus really that good? I'm getting nagged to watch it.
It's the best octo-romance movie ever made. Absolutely packed with heart (octopuses have 3) and impacted Pogue Mahone to the point where he will no longer put mollusk on his plate.

I'd give it a solid 8 tentacles.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I very much enjoyed it
I looked the film up on IMDb, and saw this highlighted as a continuity error:

"When Bush approaches Cheney to be his vice-president, the position of Christian Bale's hands, and what he holds in them, changes between shots (in one shot, Cheney is gesturing with empty hands and is then instantly seen holding a drink)."

If you think that's an error, then you really haven't gotten the film. :lol: (And this sort of thing is one of its best aspects, too.)

M15 Red.

True; it took me a couple of moments to actually recognize him underneath all the make-up etc. I think Bale is one of my favorite actors right now (regardless of this transformation stuff).

Yeah, it's fun. And appropriate on the forum. From a trivia website:
  • The scene where one of the commentators refers Dug's team as "Early Man Utd" was a reference to the Manchester United Football Club, commonly known as Man Utd.
  • The uniforms that Dug's team were wearing for the match were the colours of the uniform that Manchester United F.C. wears when they played in matches on.

As for the bolded: yes. Burn you heathen!
Noticed the nods to United. Apparently the original title was Early Man United.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Unhinged

Russell Crowe road rage vehicle, kinda blends Falling Down and The Hitcher, with added layers of cod psychology about the impact of more traffic and frenetic lifestyles on our mental health.

Crowe does angry man well, but his apparent fat suit is distracting. The plot is predictable and derivative and the dialogue leaden in parts, but a few entertaining car smashes and moments of graphic violence.

5/10 if in the mood for something brainless to watch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Anyone got any good 70s suggestions?

Doesn't have to be classic stuff, quite enjoy comedies from that era as well.

Also, maybe the wrong thread, but oh well.
- Coma , with Michael Douglas
- Night Moves, with Gene Hackman
- Escape from Alcatraz
- Serpico
- Blue Collar, with Pryor & Keitel
- All The Presidents Men
- The Warriors
- The Beguiled, with Clint Eastwood
- Molly Maguires, with Sean Connery

Last edited:
- Escape from Alcatraz
- Serpico
- All The Presidents Men
- The Warriors
All noted, thanks!
It's not a funny film but william friedkin sorcerer is well worth a watch

Looks very promising, thanks. Doesn't have to be comedy, just meant that it doesn't have to be Kubrik or Tarkovsky or something.
Added, cheers.

Pscholes18

Unhinged

Russell Crowe road rage vehicle, kinda blends Falling Down and The Hitcher, with added layers of cod psychology about the impact of more traffic and frenetic lifestyles on our mental health.

Crowe does angry man well, but his apparent fat suit is distracting. The plot is predictable and derivative and the dialogue leaden in parts, but a few entertaining car smashes and moments of graphic violence.

5/10 if in the mood for something brainless to watch.
I always give a courtesy honk. So many times Id love to do an Unhinged on cnuts who lay on their horn for a few seconds to get someones attention.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
- Escape from Alcatraz
- Serpico
- All The Presidents Men
- The Warriors
The China Syndrome
Network
The French Connection

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is this film about the octopus really that good? I'm getting nagged to watch it.
No. Lots of "wow octopuses are really smart" breathless commentary. I may be unusual as a former marine biologist but nice footage aside I was underwhelmed.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sherpa is more of the same but shifts the focus somewhat to the voices of the native people. The film highlights exploitative economies, complicit governments and entitled tourists that treat the natives with a mix of patronising exoticism and a contemptuous othering. One triumphant moment sees a group of Sherpas shut down the mountain as a platform to collective bargaining. Another great scene shows a pasty European getting slapped by a hand gloved in historical resentment. It was - hero to white climbers everywhere - Ueli Steck who got the slapping, and he is now dead after falling off a mountain: boo hoo-cares.
Watched this last night. Seeing that American climber ask who the sherpas’ “owner” is and later compare their strike to 9/11 confirmed everything I’ve suspected about the dynamics up there.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Just logged on to see if people were talking about the Oscars but not a single thread! Bravo Red Cafe!