Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Palm Springs

Immensely watchable Groundhog Day rip off that is refreshingly short and very funny.

Bonus points for J.K Simmons.

8/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Youth

A 2017 Chinese coming of age movie set during the Chinese cultural revolution of China in China featuring Chinese people.

Melodrama but not too melodramatic nor melancholic. Very well shot and excellently choreographed, with a foundationally human message about hope and eventually having your dreams crushed.

If you're bored of Marvel movies and want to know what the big boys watch when they grow up I highly recommend it (it's rentable on Prime).

4/5

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
They Shall Not Grow Old

Not exactly an easy watch, fecking hell. Thank God we'll never have to experience anything like that.

For some reason I've decided to rewatch all the Bond movies so I can finally have a clear idea of how they rank against each other. Important, I know.

Will just rate them when I finish each actor, or something like that.

Dr. No (1962)
Not bad, but it's clear they hadn't really nailed the tone of it yet. Connery looks perfect, but the acting is a bit off in places, and the story is sort of boring. Also, the bond girl is hot but weird, and there's no chemistry. 6/10

From Russia with Love (1963)

Quite liked this one. It's played quite straight, feels more like a real espionage thriller than a bond movie at times. Cool story, decent love story, and great shots on location in Istanbul. 8/10

Goldfinger (1964)

Was almost a bit put off by the change in tone from the previous one, but this one is also quite cool. Much more tongue in cheek, Pussy Galore, etc. Cool villain, had forgotten how weird Goldfinger is. 8/10

Thunderball (1965)

A bit of a strange one. Connery is perfect in it, the plot is not bad, if a bit slow at first. But the underwater scenes are confusing and don't really work in terms of story telling. Looks nice, but that's about it. 7/10

You Only Live Twice (1967)

Apparently Roald Dahl wrote the script for this one, not that it shows. It's nicely filmed, lots of stuff on location in Japan, but the plot is too similar to Dr. No, and there isn't any time for Bond to bond (hehe) with the girl who ends up being his love interest. Funny when he goes full Japanese undercover though. 7/10

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I remember not liking George Lazenby as Bond when I was younger, but really liked his performance this time around. The movie is surprisingly serious, has probably the best love story in any Bond movie. Looks great too. I didn't really care for the this Bloefeld, but still, surprisingly good. 8/10

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

The worst one so far. I have no idea what they were going for. It's a bit campy, but in a really weird way. The plot is totally whatever, the girl is whatever, and Sean Connery looks way too old :lol: 5/10

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Nobody

Quite enjoyed this. Bob Odenkirk does John Wick. Really violent and quite funny in places.

Palm Springs

Slight twist on the Groundhog Day genre. What happens if you're stuck in a loop with someone else? You fall in love obviously. Not bad.

Old Ma Crow

Without Remorse

Amazon Original movie with Michael B. Jordan. If you watch it, you’ll wish you hadn’t. And I can only imagine that the actors and director wish they weren’t associated with it. Indecipherably bad. Michael B. Jordan with the worst acting performance I’ve seen in a long time. And dialogue worthy of a high school play. Just appalling from start to finish. No redeeming qualities. Atrocious.

1/10
Fair review. They tried to capitalise on the Clancy name, which failed badly since they couldn’t use the source material closely at all due to copyright litigation between the Clancy estate factions. It’s more Steven Segal(Hard to kill/Nico?) and it’s not even a good rehash of that. Forgettable.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Raya and the Last Dragon
I was really excited for this but to my surprise, I didn't love it. The theme was overly simplistic and the story felt rushed. This probably would have been better as a series 5/10

Mortal Kombat (2021)

As a big fan of the series, I found enjoyment in a lot of the fan service provided but if you are not an existing fan, you'll hate this as the film is generally trash. Bad acting, messy plot, awful dialogue, shoddy effects and the biggest sin: overly edited fight scenes 5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Mule. Clint Eastwood just keeps going, despite being close to 90. Pretty amazing. And another pretty OK film. With all of his films that I've seen from the last 10 of so years, it's not mind-blowing or great, but it's well done, it's good got emotional depth to it, and it keeps you interested while maintaining its calm pace. If like Clint Eastwood's recent work, you'll like this one as well.

Drawfull

Cloverfield

I decided to go through my library and watch all my underwatched movies in alphabetical order, rather than just going for the comfort option all the time. Problem being, the first thing I have is 10 Cloverfield Lane, and since I hadn't watched its prequel thought I'd best start with that.

As a monster / disaster movie, I really liked it. Was surprised to see it was released before Blair Witch, considering the camcorder-style presentation, since BW seems to get a lot of credit for that format. There's a few bits which stretch credulity (not the monsters), like absolutely catastrophic injuries that are immediately ignored, but on the whole it's pretty solid.

Good effects considering its age, decent acting for the most part (although I didn't care too much for the leading man) and a no-nonsense plot. Looking forward to 10.

7/10

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Stowaway (2021, Netflix US)
Movie set on a spaceship headed to Mars on a 2 year mission.
Saw this last night and tbh was underwhelmed by it. Rotten tomatoes has it at 78% but for me that’s way too high.
The story was weird, I couldn’t buy into it.

Their solution to their quest (classic Hollywood, they need a quest) was weird and had the predictable moments thrown in too. You could see them coming long before they happened.
Maybe if I had watched it in a different mood then I’d have liked it more?
5/10.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Cloverfield

I decided to go through my library and watch all my underwatched movies in alphabetical order, rather than just going for the comfort option all the time. Problem being, the first thing I have is 10 Cloverfield Lane, and since I hadn't watched its prequel thought I'd best start with that.

As a monster / disaster movie, I really liked it. Was surprised to see it was released before Blair Witch, considering the camcorder-style presentation, since BW seems to get a lot of credit for that format. There's a few bits which stretch credulity (not the monsters), like absolutely catastrophic injuries that are immediately ignored, but on the whole it's pretty solid.

Good effects considering its age, decent acting for the most part (although I didn't care too much for the leading man) and a no-nonsense plot. Looking forward to 10.

7/10
This was released before the Blair Witch remake, not the original.

caid

Cloverfield

7/10
They're all pretty self contained. Its a decent series. Think Cloverfield Lane was my favorite.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
They're all pretty self contained. Its a decent series. Think Cloverfield Lane was my favorite.
I preferred the first but I did also love Lane. Both excellent films. Shame Paradox was a crock of shite.

caid

I preferred the first but I did also love Lane. Both excellent films. Shame Paradox was a crock of shite.
It was the weakest by a distance, i probably would have found it enjoyable enough if it wasn't for the association with much better movies. I haven't watched the first in years, main memory is absolutely hating the guy holding the camera in an otherwise great movie.

pauldyson1uk

In the Earth

As the world searches for a cure to a disastrous virus, a scientist and park scout venture deep in the forest for a routine equipment run.
I was expecting a decent watch, apt topic for the time, how disappointed I was, it was complete and utter dross.
I watched it all expecting it to get better, it never did.
The ending was just :houllier:

WTF/10

caid

10 Cloverfield Lane

Bloody loved it, a lot better than the first. Winstead and Goodman were fantastic, and I will definitely be watching again. Solid plot, believable acting, edge of your seat shizzle.

9/10
Yeah thats what elevated it above the others for me. Great characters

Drawfull

13 Hours: Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Considering my library is replete with war-type movies, didn't get on with this. Felt no connection to the cast and got bored with the novel 11:22:63's style of triplication of plot. Might be accurate, but attacking the roof of a building three times over (or defending said roof), does not a good movie make.

Started well, a couple of good scenes, but would seem I am in the minority of non-critics.

5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sorry To Bother You: A dark comedy that satirizes capitalist society by telling the tale of a young guy who works in telemarketing and tries to make his way up in the world. That's rather generic, which the film absolutely isn't; but I am not sure what else I can say without spoiling key or fun elements of the film. Things start out quirky and funny, and gradually develops into really weird (magical realism stuff) and still very funny. A lot what it brings up in terms of societal criticism is rather poignant, although I found the single-minded focus on labour unions as a solution a little weak intellectually. I also felt potential narrative drama could have been worked out better near the end, and some plot bits could have tied up better; although it's also nice (and realistic) that the film has a more open ending; nothing's neat in these things. (Well, the 'extra scene' does a nice bit of hilarious mop-up.)

It's hard rather to be specific about the film without spoiling it, or to really convey the weirdness of it - while it all still stays very grounded and relatable. I'd just really recommend it. It's an anarchic film that's really funny, very clever and varied in terms of film-making, and makes lots of great points.

decorativeed

Sorry To Bother You: A dark comedy that satirizes capitalist society by telling the tale of a young guy who works in telemarketing and tries to make his way up in the world. That's rather generic, which the film absolutely isn't; but I am not sure what else I can say without spoiling key or fun elements of the film. Things start out quirky and funny, and gradually develops into really weird (magical realism stuff) and still very funny. A lot what it brings up in terms of societal criticism is rather poignant, although I found the single-minded focus on labour unions as a solution a little weak intellectually. I also felt potential narrative drama could have been worked out better near the end, and some plot bits could have tied up better; although it's also nice (and realistic) that the film has a more open ending; nothing's neat in these things. (Well, the 'extra scene' does a nice bit of hilarious mop-up.)

It's hard rather to be specific about the film without spoiling it, or to really convey the weirdness of it - while it all still stays very grounded and relatable. I'd just really recommend it. It's an anarchic film that's really funny, very clever and varied in terms of film-making, and makes lots of great points.
I was really intrigued by this after seeing the trailers and synopsis of it, but i watched it a few months back and didn't really like it. It felt too contrived, the cast felt wasted and I can hardly remember anything about it now.

Sylar

I care a lot

Black comedy? Thriller? Hmmm

Rosamund pike is great in this. Also has Dinklage who is good too. Intriguing movie

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Dead or Alive (Tak Miike).

A pulpy gritty gangster cop drama that begins with sodomic rape, speed metal and lots of killings. More killings happen but it changes into a somewhat humanistic tale about a man devoted to his job (killing crime) at the expense of his relationship with his wife and daughter. Then other less humanistic scenes happen such as one where a woman drowns in her own shit while the gang-lord engages in a monologue about his vulnerability. It's bookended finally by a truly realistic scene where the cop rips his arm and whips out a rocket launcher only for his foe to throw a ball of energy at him, blowing Japan up once and for all. It's a bit like if Takeshi Kitano's 90s gangster movies (Hana-bi, Sonatine, etc) were crudely drawn on the wall by a little boy.

3/5

AaronRedDevil

Anyone here seen Shirley on Netflix. It's got Elizabeth Moss in it. Wondering if it's any good. Don't you dare make an Airplane reference.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I care a lot

Black comedy? Thriller? Hmmm

Rosamund pike is great in this. Also has Dinklage who is good too. Intriguing movie
Really? I thought it was pretty much a standard thriller with little subtlety and nothing very original. Second half of it especially got very boring.

Sylar

Really? I thought it was pretty much a standard thriller with little subtlety and nothing very original. Second half of it especially got very boring.
Maybe I enjoyed it as I haven't watched many movies recently and I'm biased towards Tyrion?

I did enjoy it but I can see why you would say nothing original. The performances for me were really good however

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Maybe I enjoyed it as I haven't watched many movies recently and I'm biased towards Tyrion?

I did enjoy it but I can see why you would say nothing original. The performances for me were really good however
I thought she was ok although she seems the play the same part again and again, and Tyrion was just a cartoon villain for me. I actually quite actively disliked it, probably cos of the hype around it, and how lazy I found it to be ultimately.

Sylar

I thought she was ok although she seems the play the same part again and again, and Tyrion was just a cartoon villain for me. I actually quite actively disliked it, probably cos of the hype around it, and how lazy I found it to be ultimately.
I didnt know there was hype and went in not having a clue :lol: Maybe that helped me to enjoy it.

pauldyson1uk

The Vigil

A man providing overnight watch to a deceased member of his former Orthodox Jewish community finds himself opposite a malevolent entity.
I was pleasantly surprised by this , though it was decent, some good scary parts, the story was OK, no subs for the Jewish speaking parts was a tad annoying, but I just downloaded some and it was fine.

6/10

pauldyson1uk

The Dry

Aaron Falk returns to his drought-stricken hometown to attend a tragic funeral. But his return opens a decades-old wound - the unsolved death of a teenage girl.
This was excellent, it was a bit slow in parts but its set in the Australian outback, life is slow.
I cant fault it otherwise, really enjoyed this.

8/10

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

For some reason I've decided to rewatch all the Bond movies so I can finally have a clear idea of how they rank against each other. Important, I know.

Will just rate them when I finish each actor, or something like that.

Dr. No (1962)
Not bad, but it's clear they hadn't really nailed the tone of it yet. Connery looks perfect, but the acting is a bit off in places, and the story is sort of boring. Also, the bond girl is hot but weird, and there's no chemistry. 6/10

From Russia with Love (1963)

Quite liked this one. It's played quite straight, feels more like a real espionage thriller than a bond movie at times. Cool story, decent love story, and great shots on location in Istanbul. 8/10

Goldfinger (1964)

Was almost a bit put off by the change in tone from the previous one, but this one is also quite cool. Much more tongue in cheek, Pussy Galore, etc. Cool villain, had forgotten how weird Goldfinger is. 8/10

Thunderball (1965)

A bit of a strange one. Connery is perfect in it, the plot is not bad, if a bit slow at first. But the underwater scenes are confusing and don't really work in terms of story telling. Looks nice, but that's about it. 7/10

You Only Live Twice (1967)

Apparently Roald Dahl wrote the script for this one, not that it shows. It's nicely filmed, lots of stuff on location in Japan, but the plot is too similar to Dr. No, and there isn't any time for Bond to bond (hehe) with the girl who ends up being his love interest. Funny when he goes full Japanese undercover though. 7/10

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)

I remember not liking George Lazenby as Bond when I was younger, but really liked his performance this time around. The movie is surprisingly serious, has probably the best love story in any Bond movie. Looks great too. I didn't really care for the this Bloefeld, but still, surprisingly good. 8/10

Diamonds Are Forever (1971)

The worst one so far. I have no idea what they were going for. It's a bit campy, but in a really weird way. The plot is totally whatever, the girl is whatever, and Sean Connery looks way too old :lol: 5/10
Dr No they had no idea how it was going to pan out out, agreed it was boring in parts, no toys, no iconic car, I would actual rank this below Diamonds with a 5 and Diamonds with a 6.
The rest agree with you, apart from OHMSS, I think this is just ahead of the rest, I liked George Lazenby , Diana Rigg was excellent, I even liked Savalas, not the best Bloefeld but still very good. OHMSS gets a 9 from me.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Those Who Wish Me Dead

Action mvoie reminiscent of the 90s. I can see Stallone doing this similar to his Daylight back then. Good plot, tau pacing and good acting. Good watch. 7/10

Nobody

An absolutely fun watch. A more fun John Wick. engaging and engrossing from the get go. Usual story with not many surprises, but the screenplay and acting makes this a top watch. 9/10.

pauldyson1uk

Held

A couple's ailing marriage is put to the test when they are held hostage in an isolated vacation rental by an unseen Voice that commands their every move.
it started well but went down hill.
Dreadful acting, disappointed to be honest.

4/10

Dr No they had no idea how it was going to pan out out, agreed it was boring in parts, no toys, no iconic car, I would actual rank this below Diamonds with a 5 and Diamonds with a 6.
The rest agree with you, apart from OHMSS, I think this is just ahead of the rest, I liked George Lazenby , Diana Rigg was excellent, I even liked Savalas, not the best Bloefeld but still very good. OHMSS gets a 9 from me.
I agree, OHMSS could have easily been 9, was a bit unsure. Think maybe it will stand out even more when I'm done with the rest. Currently on Moore's TMWTGG now, hope it's better than his first one. Didn't particularly like Live and Let Die.

I think the reason I prefer Dr.No to Diamonds is just that I prefer the visual style of it more + younger Sean Connery. Quite enjoying this project though.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Minari
A Korean family move to Albany to run their own farm. I really enjoyed the first two thirds of this film. Funny, authentic, dramatic. Thought the final act didn't really give you the guy punch the film kept teasing. The ending was one of those that leaves a lot to interpretation, which is something I like. I just wish it wasn't so slow and that third act does bring the film down a bit 6.5/10

Godzilla vs. Kong

When the monsters were fighting, it was fun as hell. The human parts not so much. Luckily there were enough big action set pieces so that it didn't feel too boring for prolonged periods of time. The final fight was too cheesy though 6.5/10

Drawfull

Those Who Wish Me Dead

Action mvoie reminiscent of the 90s. I can see Stallone doing this similar to his Daylight back then. Good plot, tau pacing and good acting. Good watch. 7/10

Nobody

An absolutely fun watch. A more fun John Wick. engaging and engrossing from the get go. Usual story with not many surprises, but the screenplay and acting makes this a top watch. 9/10.
Really want to see Nobody, don't think I've seen a bad review.