Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Blood Simple Surely one of the best debut films of all time. It has aged well and the plot twists were believable without being unnecessarily convoluted. 9/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Stowaway
The 3 person crew of a space mission have their lives put in danger when they find another person trapped on their spaceship. With oxygen running out, they must quickly decide what to do with him. I liked how the central antagonist is a dilemma as opposed to a person and you understand every characters point of view. Really suspenseful and fun but I just wish it had a stronger ending... Not sure what that would be though. Definitely worth a watch 7/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Shaft (2019). I had fun. By no means a good movie, but if you're in for a bit of mindless fun with Samuel L. Jackson, this is a good one.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Saw Minari yesterday at the cinema (a real one, not my living room).

I liked it but definitely thought it was stronger in the early parts, which operate around simple observation of the family and their attempt to resettle in Arkansas. These are like quaint vignettes and really draw us in to the cultural differences.

The last hour somewhat undermines the narrative through its desire to build to a fiery climactic ending, which I guess was meant as a pay-off for tension but I didn't think there was enough tension to pay off. It's just not that kind of film.

Also, the fact Steven Yeun isn't natively Korean is amazing to me as I've only seen him in this and Burning (i.e. not The Walking Dead). Both he and Han Ye-ri (his in-film wife) give great performances.

3/5

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Wrath of Man.

Pretty good, but I felt it fell away a bit at the end. A lot of wasted potential to really show "wrath" through the pain of loss. The atmosphere is moody as feck, with brilliant cinematography and score that brings as much character to the movie as the actors do. Its not your typical Guy Ritchie movie. Theres no quick cuts, and cockney humour littered around. It feels a bit more Michael Mann than anything Ive seen Ritchie do before if Im honest.

All in all, pretty good. It doesnt do anything new with the genre, but it doesnt do anything bad either. Youll see the twists coming, but you wont care.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Army Of The Dead
I was going to say "typical Zack Snyder film, stylistically shot, mindless action, thin plot, too many slow motion shots etc" but then the third act happened. The stupidity of that act really knocks this average film to something that made me actually rage 3/10

The Best Of Enemies

A black activist and a KKK leader must work together to find a solution to a black school being burnt to the ground and the students wanting to enter the white school. Based on a true story. I like Sam Rockwell and he's predictably good in this. I see a lot of reviews criticising this as a Hollywood "white saviour" message but it's based on a true story and reading about it, this is pretty much what happened so not sure if the critics wanted this story rewritten? I enjoyed it 7/10

The Mauritanian

A man is held captive in Guantanamo prison after he is suspected of being the recruiter for the 9/11 attacks. An attorney attempts to free him due to him being held in this prison for 7 years with no evidence whatsoever. Another one that critics are branding "white saviour" propaganda but again I find that strange as this was based off of the book "Guantanamo Diary" written by the man that was held captive? Again, I enjoyed it and the performances were excellent. I also find Jodie Foster hot so there's that 7.5/10

Greenland

Gerard Butler must get his wife (Monica Baccarin :drool:) and his son to safety when a comet threatens the end of the world. I love disaster movies and haven't seen a good one in a very long time. Until now. This had it all. Decent characters, tonnes of suspense, heart, action, high stakes, people looting TVs for no reason etc. It was like a "best of" hit from all the old disaster films. I enjoyed every minute of its two hour run time. Only slight knock would be some silly decisions characters make but that wasn't enough to stop my enjoyment of this. If you like disaster movies, I'd highly recommend this 8.5/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A Quiet Place A pointless and silly modern horror film. Dumb beyond belief even if the production values are above average. 1.5/10

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Army Of The Dead
I was going to say "typical Zack Snyder film, stylistically shot, mindless action, thin plot, too many slow motion shots etc" but then the third act happened. The stupidity of that act really knocks this average film to something that made me actually rage 3/10
Agreed!

Army of the Dead

A absolutely flimsy plot that doesn't make any sense, random characters thrown in, up and down pacing. No standout characters except from Bautista, who does a good job, but then the movie is just too bad even for his big shoulders.

3/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Con Air
I try watch this at least once a year. My favourite movie. I wish I met my daughter for the first time the way Cameron Poe does. Instead my story was just a standard birth at a hospital 10/10

AaronRedDevil

Con Air
I try watch this at least once a year. My favourite movie. I wish I met my daughter for the first time the way Cameron Poe does. Instead my story was just a standard birth at a hospital 10/10
John malkovich is just great in that movie. Looks like he was having fun playing the role.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
John malkovich is just great in that movie. Looks like he was having fun playing the role.
"Oh... Nothing makes me sadder than the agent lost his bladder on the aiiiiiiirplane" :lol:

Blue Miracle
After financial troubles threaten to shut down his orphanage, a man and a few orphans team up with a grizzly fisherman to compete in a fishing contest that can give them the money they need. Based on a true story, it's light hearted, cheesy but overall, it's a heart warming story. Felt very 90s which is ok if you're up for that 6/10

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Minari
There is a lot of good things about Minari. From the portrayals of Steve Yuen and Han Ye-ri to the amazing character of the grandmother Soonja.
What I did not buy at all was how the writing completely fails to mention any even hint of racism. I've been to Arkansas and the entire South as an 8-9 years old and 12-13 years old in the 1980s. Even just spending a few summers camping through Arkansas and the South I experienced quite a bit of racism and regionalism ("You all faggots in California"). The film really sidesteps that issue in a way that felt a little unrealistic and a little too fantasy American Dream. There were a few tiny nods in the one scene with the kids at the Church but ultimately it felt the film was trying too hard to create this imaginary world where racism wasn't really a thing in Arkansas in the 1980s which was certainly not my experience. I get they wanted to focus on the story of the family and not get too deep into more political issues, but I felt they were almost trying too hard to stay away from those issues to the point of unrealism.

7/10

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The New Mutants

Execrable addition to the X-Men pantheon. For an hour and a half film it's very slow and exceedingly boring.
The characters are two-dimensional and change their mind like the wind, and the big end scene is soporific in more ways than one.
Feels like it's aimed at 12 year olds and maybe it is, I just watched it on a long haul flight due to lack of alternatives.

3/10

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A Hard Day (2014):
Korean thriller about a corrupt cop. The tension and stakes ratchet up throughout. Some dark humour too. 8/10.

pauldyson1uk

The Unholy

A girl inexplicably gains the power to heal the sick after a supposed visitation from the Virgin Mary. As word spreads and people flock to witness her miracles, a disgraced journalist visits the small New England town to investigate. However, when strange events start to occur, he soon wonders if these phenomena are the result of something more sinister.
Was not expecting much, never do from this sort of film, but it was OK, decent story, acting was OK

5.5/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Minari
There is a lot of good things about Minari. From the portrayals of Steve Yuen and Han Ye-ri to the amazing character of the grandmother Soonja.
What I did not buy at all was how the writing completely fails to mention any even hint of racism. I've been to Arkansas and the entire South as an 8-9 years old and 12-13 years old in the 1980s. Even just spending a few summers camping through Arkansas and the South I experienced quite a bit of racism and regionalism ("You all faggots in California"). The film really sidesteps that issue in a way that felt a little unrealistic and a little too fantasy American Dream. There were a few tiny nods in the one scene with the kids at the Church but ultimately it felt the film was trying too hard to create this imaginary world where racism wasn't really a thing in Arkansas in the 1980s which was certainly not my experience. I get they wanted to focus on the story of the family and not get too deep into more political issues, but I felt they were almost trying too hard to stay away from those issues to the point of unrealism.

7/10
Good points but I thought it was really interesting that it deliberately sidestepped the issue. As you say, it was implicit but not overt.

Racism has become a huge topic in media of late, and because it prompts such a strong response, it can often overpower things we can relate to and ultimately feel more attached with. It seemed like the main intent of Minari was mainly supposed to be about everyday problems happening within the family, particularly their uprooting and trying to begin a new life away from Korea (it could have been anywhere, not just Arkansas).

I suspect it didn't want to demean America (and hence the American Dream) because it was so integral to their sense of self-worth, especially as they battled through unexpected situations such as lacking enough water to grow the crops. If we're being totally realistic, we might wonder why that plot strand went nowhere. At one stage the girl turns the tap on and no water comes out - didn't the local water board sense something was amiss?

But I digress because I thought the levelling of prejudice was quite smart generally. Paul's character showed it as even his beliefs seemed a little extreme for the rural location. I think of the scene where the kids on the bus make fun of him. Even Jacob seems to go to this extreme, detailed by his reaction when he and his family are driving up the highway and see him towing the cross. He looks confused and it suggests some judgement.

Either way, maybe we'll disagree because I loved the subtle approach the film took.

Apologies also if any of this sounds garbled. I just woke up and am very much in morning mode.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I think he wanted to tell a story about immigrants that isn’t through the prism of racism, because that’s all we usually see in films

It’s also about the evolution of minority characters in films and how they can now be regular people facing regular struggles, and not just ‘the Korean family’ doing what Korean families do in films (eg, face racism)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The Hunt for the Red October. A classic Cold War thriller, featuring submarines. Not much to add really. If you're into this stuff and like that it's a bit calmer than current frantic editing, then this is great.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Whiplash - Captivating from the first minute to the last, was actually gutted when it ended as it was one of those films you wanted to carry on. Superb performances from Teller and Simmons. 9.5/10.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I haven't seen it, but based on everything I've read about it so far, it seems to feature a whiny guy with a midlife crisis, sentimental life lessons, and great octopus footage. I'd love the latter, but I'd rather watch a nature documentary for that.
That’s a great summary even though you hadn’t seen it.
I watched it last night and even though I enjoyed the photography (the water was so clean!), the guy came across as a bit weird and fetishisized (sp?) the octopus more than a bit, imo.
I half expected him to put the octopus down his shorts to get a hand job 8 times better than he got at home, or at least 4 times ;)

Last edited:

alsabi

Cruella was quite fun (could easily have been darker/grittier if not for the 12A rating), decent performances from Emma Stone and Emma Thompson. 7/10.

Nickelodeon

Some relative offbeat recommendations from my side for Caftards:

• Go (1999): Great fun. Love fast paced movies like these. The structure of the movie is quite similar to Pulp Fiction.
  • Eye in the Sky (2015): Excellent thriller which starts a bit slowly but is edge of the seat stuff post that. Great performances from Emma Thomson and Alan Rickman.
  • Election (1999): This movie is a great dramedy centered around a high school election campaign. One of Alexander Payne's (The Descendants, Sideways) best works.
  • The Way Way Back (2013): A coming of age story which is supported by some great performances all around. I'm a huge fan of Sam Rockwell and he's outstanding in this as well
  • Office Space (1999): A wonderful comedy from Mike Judge (Silicon Valley's creator) supported by wacky scenarios and some good performances. Great fun

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Some relative offbeat recommendations from my side for Caftards:

• Go (1999): Great fun. Love fast paced movies like these. The structure of the movie is quite similar to Pulp Fiction.
  • Eye in the Sky (2015): Excellent thriller which starts a bit slowly but is edge of the seat stuff post that. Great performances from Emma Thomson and Alan Rickman.
  • Election (1999): This movie is a great dramedy centered around a high school election campaign. One of Alexander Payne's (The Descendants, Sideways) best works.
  • The Way Way Back (2013): A coming of age story which is supported by some great performances all around. I'm a huge fan of Sam Rockwell and he's outstanding in this as well
  • Office Space (1999): A wonderful comedy from Mike Judge (Silicon Valley's creator) supported by wacky scenarios and some good performances. Great fun
I loved Eye in the Sky and Office Space as well. I haven't seen the rest, but I agree on Sam Rockwell!
That’s a great summary even though you hadn’t seen it.
I watched it last night and even though I enjoyed the photography (the water was so clean!), the guy came across as a bit weird and fetishisized (sp?) the octopus more than a bit, imo.
I half expected him to put the octopus down his shorts to get a hand job 8 times better than he got at home, or at least 4 times ;)
:lol:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Good points but I thought it was really interesting that it deliberately sidestepped the issue. As you say, it was implicit but not overt.

Racism has become a huge topic in media of late, and because it prompts such a strong response, it can often overpower things we can relate to and ultimately feel more attached with. It seemed like the main intent of Minari was mainly supposed to be about everyday problems happening within the family, particularly their uprooting and trying to begin a new life away from Korea (it could have been anywhere, not just Arkansas).

I suspect it didn't want to demean America (and hence the American Dream) because it was so integral to their sense of self-worth, especially as they battled through unexpected situations such as lacking enough water to grow the crops. If we're being totally realistic, we might wonder why that plot strand went nowhere. At one stage the girl turns the tap on and no water comes out - didn't the local water board sense something was amiss?

But I digress because I thought the levelling of prejudice was quite smart generally. Paul's character showed it as even his beliefs seemed a little extreme for the rural location. I think of the scene where the kids on the bus make fun of him. Even Jacob seems to go to this extreme, detailed by his reaction when he and his family are driving up the highway and see him towing the cross. He looks confused and it suggests some judgement.

Either way, maybe we'll disagree because I loved the subtle approach the film took.

Apologies also if any of this sounds garbled. I just woke up and am very much in morning mode.
I see where you're coming from here but for me the bold part just detracts from the movie overall by playing into the old Horatio Alger myth that pervades a lot of American fiction over the decades. As a counter-example, I'd use the novel Pachinko which by no means focuses on racism or makes it a primary theme of the work, but it doesn't shy away from it like Minari does to a degree. If a few scenes were slightly different to reflect more than the reality of the American South in the 1980s I'd rate it as a stronger film over. Still a great film though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Hunt for the Red October. A classic Cold War thriller, featuring submarines. Not much to add really. If you're into this stuff and like that it's a bit calmer than current frantic editing, then this is great.
Rewatched this yesterday. I will always love these movies. The 80s and 90s had many of these military/political thriller movies. There is a certain charm to them, specifically the dialogues are always entertaining.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Margin Call
Followsa group of investment bankers in the lead up to the 2008 recession. Whilst I was confused at times, I generally understood what's going on and really enjoyed it. The actors were superb, especially Jeremy Irons. Strange seeing Kevin Spacey in the film. Didn't know he was in it and it's the first time I've seen a movie with him since his debacle. The ending had me thinking of it for a good while 7.5/10

Death Of Me

A couple on holiday watch a video where one of them kills the other. Strange shit ensues. I liked the setup but knew that the payoff won't satisfy, and it didn't. I did enjoy long parts of it but it just treaded a lot of familiar ground and clichés when with the premise, it could have tried something different. Also was confused for ages because it said it stars Luke Hemsworth, who I thought was Liam Hemsworth and was thinking he ate too many pies. Then I realised that there is another Hemsworth brother, the eldest and fattest of the three. Anyway, thought it was decent but could have been better 6/10

OleBoiii

Uncut Gems any good?

Thinking of watching a film tonight. It's on Netflix.
It's one of those movies where people are really split on what to think.

I didn't like it, but I'm glad that I saw it. It's very unique(and exhausting, for all the wrong reasons).

OleBoiii

Give me a little more without spoiling?
It's a film about the stressful life of a New York jeweler with a bit of a "gambling" addiction. I write gambling in quotation marks because it has little do with casinos etc, but more about risky(and frankly stupid) investments and deals. The film is edited in a very erratic, unsettling and even annoying way, to illustrate the life of people like the protagonist.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Thanks guys. You've intrigued me here.

Give me a little more without spoiling?
It’s extremely intense, to the point you need to wind down after it. Not a typical Monday night movie. My missus found it really stressful to watch and pretty much hated it.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's a film about the stressful life of a New York jeweler with a bit of a "gambling" addiction. I write gambling in quotation marks because it has little do with casinos etc, but more about risky(and frankly stupid) investments and deals. The film is edited in a very erratic, unsettling and even annoying way, to illustrate the life of people like the protagonist.
It’s extremely intense, to the point you need to wind down after it. Not a typical Monday night movie. My missus found it really stressful to watch and pretty much hated it.
Right I might need to come back to this one then. Feeling a little delicate from the night before and wanted something easy to watch ha ha. I'll definitely go back to it though as I like Adam Sandler and the thought of seeing him doing something different.

Back to the drawing board. Watched the newest Rambo the other night.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
It's one of those movies where people are really split on what to think.

I didn't like it, but I'm glad that I saw it. It's very unique(and exhausting, for all the wrong reasons).
I despised it and resented wasting the time wasted watching it. I wanted every person in the movie to die a painful death. Preferably as fast as possible. The movie equivalent of hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. You wish that you had never started even if stopping feels good.