Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

ChrisNelson

Nomadland

Thought this was very good, just a nice easy way to spend a couple of hours, not trying to be funny or too clever, just a nice story and outstandingly acted.

A Quiet Place Part II

Horror isn't my go-to genre, far from it but I'd seen the trailer for this so many times during previous visits to the cinema that I had to check it out, and I had seen the first one.

It does what it says on the tin, jumpy in parts where you least expect it (like The Invisible Man). Not spectacular but I'd say easily as good as the first one and worth your time if you're in to that kind of thing.

OleBoiii

I despised it and resented wasting the time wasted watching it. I wanted every person in the movie to die a painful death. Preferably as fast as possible. The movie equivalent of hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. You wish that you had never started even if stopping feels good.
It's excellent, one of the best films of whatever year it was released. The Safdie brothers are awesome.
I couldn't have asked for a better example, @TheReligion :D

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I'll just add that the comments on the Uncut Gems always make it sounds intriguing, but that the trailer is seriously off-putting. Basically when deciding to watch a film, I just always end up picking something else first. 'I'll watch Uncut Gems mañana!'

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I couldn't have asked for a better example, @TheReligion :D
I've seen it and thought it was ok, the tension built towards the end is great and watching a film with Sandler doing something different (i.e. Not a Hollywood version of a holiday video with his mates) is interesting. The thing that grated me is that the audio was so overbearing. It was done on purpose but having 10 people talk over each other really fast and at the same time plus background music was nauseating.

21 Bridges
A cop has one night to stop a couple of cop killers and stumbles into a bigger conspiracy that puts his life at threat. I only saw Chadwick Boseman on MCU and wasn't a fan but he was good in this. An action mystery that starts with a bang and doesn't give you a minute to breathe. Really enjoyed it as I wanted a nice, old school action movie to switch off my brain and enjoy 7.5/10

Poseidon

After a cruise ship is hit by a rogue wave, a group of people must find a way off the ship before they are drowned. Like the film above, it's non-stop action set pieces, just how I like it. This is basically Titanic If you remove all the romance and character development and begin with the ship crashing :lol: Was really up my street 7/10

MoskvaRed

I'll just add that the comments on the Uncut Gems always make it sounds intriguing, but that the trailer is seriously off-putting. Basically when deciding to watch a film, I just always end up picking something else first. 'I'll watch Uncut Gems mañana!'
I gave up after 20 mlnutes of “Uncut Gems”. Just too kinetic with dialogue delivered like that scene in “Ted” where they get coked up with Flash Gordon.

thepolice123

Sputnik (2020)

Russian sci-fi horror movie about a doctor who is brought to a facility to examine an Astronaut who has an alien living inside of him. It started off really well with the mysteries surrounding the alien and then lost steam halfway through it leading to car-crash of an ending.

6/10

Dante

Average bang
Wrath of Man
Guy Ritchie action film. That literally tells you everything you need to know. You'll probably already know if you're gonna like it 7/10

Bad Trip

Eric Andre comedy film. That literally tells you everything you need to know. You'll probably already know if you're gonna like it 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Roh (Soul)
A Malaysian horror film about a family who find a little girl in their woodland home but soon after, the girl tells them that they will die in the coming days. Was interested in this with my wife being Malay, it looked really good considering the budget but the story wsnt that interesting and it really wasted a few opportunities for potentially great scares. The reveal of the demon was done excellently though and at only 90 minutes, it's not the worst way to spend your time. It's also on Netflix so there's that 6/10

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Spiral

I dont know why they bothered. Chris Rock shouts his way through the movie for some reason. The "twist" is telegraphed in such a way that it would have been less obvious if the killer has just walked around with a name tag that said "its me". The story, the motivations, the camera work, everything is just meh. 4/10 and Im being very generous.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Cruella

Put this on for my daughter and ended up watching it with her. Against my better instincts I ended up really enjoying it. Surprisingly good. Killer soundtrack at parts too. Cruella was more Harley Quinn than Harley Quinn, and way less annoying too.

7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Spiral

I dont know why they bothered. Chris Rock shouts his way through the movie for some reason. The "twist" is telegraphed in such a way that it would have been less obvious if the killer has just walked around with a name tag that said "its me". The story, the motivations, the camera work, everything is just meh. 4/10 and Im being very generous.
Such a shame. I really wanted this franchise to go back to its roots. The first Saw was great and didn't rely on excessive gore, which is what the franchise became.

High Crimes
A lawyer has to fight for her husband when he is arrested and trialled at a military court on suspicion of murdering 7 people whilst in the army. This is a life his wife knew nothing about so suspicions are thrown around everywhere. I was really enjoying this as the court room setup was fused with real mystery but the third act became dumb and rushed with too many twists 6/10

pauldyson1uk

Spiral

I have just watched it, thought it was pretty decent , far better then the last Saw.
There will defiantly be another, yeah the twist was pretty obvious.
gets a 6/10 from me.

caid

Roh (Soul)
A Malaysian horror film about a family who find a little girl in their woodland home but soon after, the girl tells them that they will die in the coming days. Was interested in this with my wife being Malay, it looked really good considering the budget but the story wsnt that interesting and it really wasted a few opportunities for potentially great scares. The reveal of the demon was done excellently though and at only 90 minutes, it's not the worst way to spend your time. It's also on Netflix so there's that 6/10
That was good. Really enjoyed it

Drawfull

Chaos Walking

I’m not a fan of Daisy Ridley normally but I enjoyed this one. Have been waiting for the disc.

It’s just the right length and while most of the fleshing out is over in about 3 minutes, I ended up invested in the outcome. The CGI is kept to a minimum (outside of the noise) and it skips along pretty effortlessly. The ending was maybe a little weak, but fits the movie

The Atmos mix didn’t really seem to use the obvious stuff to ‘elevate’ itself but it works well enough. it got a bit better in the third act.

I knew that this had shit critic reviews before going in, but was pleased to see that audience reviews fall in line with what I felt.

A solid seven for me. Steelbook looks nice, too.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
First Love (2019)

Anyone looking for a noir/yakuza film this is a must see. Excellent characters and the cinematography is really well done and intense. Its up there with films like Wild Goose Lake, Black Coal Thin Ice, and Touch of Sin. Really love the intelligent and endearing crime movies coming out of Asia the last decade or so. For the most part they are superior to typical Hollywood action flicks with predictable plots and lackluster character development.

9/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Sahara. A 2005 adventure film starring Matthew McConaughey, Steve Zahn, and Penélope Cruz. The trailer makes it look like there will be some kind of evil presence in the ship they're looking for (like in The Mummy), but none of that; it's just a solid, fast-paced, funny adventure film in the classic mould. The story is a bit of a mess sometimes, especially how it meanders, and I found that a little off-putting. But otherwise a good watch for its genre.

pauldyson1uk

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

I watched this, expecting a decent watch and for the first hour , hour and 10 it was .
The twist was easy to spot and the ending was a bit weak, but I still enjoyed it.
It made me jump in a few places, the story was decent, the acting was on the whole good.

7/10

AaronRedDevil

If your looking for some good dumb action fun movie. Shoot em up. It's crazy and brilliant at the same time. Dunno how I haven't seen it before. It's on Netflix.

AaronRedDevil

Going to watch the Great escape later. I hope it's as good as it's praised to be. Been burned too many times by older movies.

Last edited: