Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

hubbuh

Spiral. Terrible, obviously. Why the feck didn't they use Samuel L. Jackson more? He was the only good thing about the film and he's barely fecking in it. And also...
The villain must be the most boring, mundane evil genius ever. It's like he can't even be arsed. 'We take a tongue here, a couple of bones there... the police will come around'. seriously? Ridiculously lazy and bad.

AaronRedDevil

Wouldn't have been half as good if everyone's outcome had been the same. Glad you liked it after the buildup.
Yeah was expecting things to go horribly wrong. The last hour was all about the escape and surprised it was still entertaining. Very good movie.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Without Remorse
An elite Navy SEAL, goes on a path to avenge his wife's murder only to find himself inside of a larger conspiracy. Initially, I was kind of enjoying this. It's a revenge story, which I love and the action set pieces were impressive. Had a decent cast too. But the conspiracy element was just predictable and flat and in the end, it felt like an empty movie that could, and should have been a new franchise. Shame as it had so much potential 5.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Margin Call. Great film that focuses on what's happening at a major firm on the eve and morning of the 2008 financial crash. It's nothing like films like The Big Short and The Laundromat, as there are no attempts to explain what's happening exactly, no gimmicks, and little humour in general. Instead, this is an understated drama, a subtle study of its characters and the subculture it portrays, shot beautifully and with great acting. Highly recommended.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Margin Call. Great film that focuses on what's happening at a major firm on the eve and morning of the 2008 financial crash. It's nothing like films like The Big Short and The Laundromat, as there are no attempts to explain what's happening exactly, no gimmicks, and little humour in general. Instead, this is an understated drama, a subtle study of its characters and the subculture it portrays, shot beautifully and with great acting. Highly recommended.
I saw this the other day. I was a little confused at first but quickly got upto speed. It's really good. Especially the scene where Bettany is explaining how he needs more money despite the amount he earns anyway. Jeremy Irons also scared the life out of me when he arrives. Such a good actor. Reading about it afterwards, apparently it's clearly about Goldman and Sachs. Bunch of cnuts :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw this the other day. I was a little confused at first but quickly got upto speed. It's really good. Especially the scene where Bettany is explaining how he needs more money despite the amount he earns anyway. Jeremy Irons also scared the life out of me when he arrives. Such a good actor. Reading about it afterwards, apparently it's clearly about Goldman and Sachs. Bunch of cnuts :lol:
Yeah, agree on all that. I also loved all subtle and (mostly) not-so-subtle references to the uselessness of work as an investment banker - only for Spacey to do his big speech to his staff. Very well done.

As for Irons: I saw on WIkipedia that his character (Tuld) is likely a combination of Merrill Lynch's ex-CEO John Thain and Lehman Brothers' ex-CEO Richard Fuld - but you're right that the firm is based on Goldman Sachs.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Wrath of Man - Decent revenge flick, plenty of action though not enough of Statham kicking things. The storyline is solid and moves along at a nice pace with just enough to keep you guessing right the way through. Needs more of Statham karateing instead of bang-banging. Nice to see Josh Hartnett taking roles again. 6.5/10

Riders of Justice
- Mads Mc'ikkickelklelsen is great in everything. He puts in a solid performance as a bit of a cnut in this one. The supporting trio made the film for me though, combining to create some surprisingly heartfelt and funny moments for what is a pretty dark (also) revenge film. 7/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Wrath of Man - Decent revenge flick, plenty of action though not enough of Statham kicking things. The storyline is solid and moves along at a nice pace with just enough to keep you guessing right the way through. Needs more of Statham karateing instead of bang-banging. Nice to see Josh Hartnett taking roles again. 6.5/10

Riders of Justice
- Mads Mc'ikkickelklelsen is great in everything. He puts in a solid performance as a bit of a cnut in this one. The supporting trio made the film for me though, combining to create some surprisingly heartfelt and funny moments for what is a pretty dark (also) revenge film. 7/10
Two revenge films. Who hurt you?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
A Quiet Place 2 - I have to hand it to John Krasinski - he's crafted an excellent horror / thrill narrative here. This picks up immediately after the end of the the first one and further shows what happened on 'Day 1'. There's also a great role for Cilian Murphy in this, but the true star for me is the deaf daughter (played by Millicent Simmonds). My only criticism is the movie ends a bit suddenly, but maybe that's with one eye on a third part? Overall an excellent movie, and I'd strongly recommend - 8/10.

The Prestige -
I first saw this in the cinema years ago, and loved it. But seeing it again all these years later, you really understand the depth and layers applied to the storyline (and obviously pick up on bits which you missed the first time). Nolan is at his majestic storytelling best here, and the cast is also on point. Jackman, Bale and Caine are fantastic in their roles (and also Bowie and Serkis). Johanssan's English accent is perhaps the worst part of the whole movie. 9/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Riders of Justice
Second one sounds interesting, is it on Netflix or any of the usual streaming platforms?
I'm a sucker for revenge films. The world needs more revenge (and dinosaur) movies.
How about a dinosaur revenge movie?

SmashedHombre

Second one sounds interesting, is it on Netflix or any of the usual streaming platforms?

How about a dinosaur revenge movie?
A dinosaur revenge movie is my white whale.

Not sure about UK Netflix tbh, but it's not on Netflix in this part of the world - nor any other streaming service that I know of.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm a sucker for revenge films. The world needs more revenge (and dinosaur) movies.
The rich and famous part 1 and 2

A better tomorrow 1,2,3

Gun and roses (alan tang, andy lau, simon yam, and leon lai)

All of those falls under these I've had enough, pack some weapons and go bang bang till the last person is dead, rambo style.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Blue Ruin might the most perfect revenge films in a long time. Pretty sure it's on netflix as well
Ahh mate that is fantastic movie. The removal of the arrow in the leg was one of my favourite things in cinema :lol: Mystic River and Mandy are two other revenge films I really enjoyed.

SmashedHombre

The rich and famous part 1 and 2

A better tomorrow 1,2,3

Gun and roses (alan tang, andy lau, simon yam, and leon lai)

All of those falls under these I've had enough, pack some weapons and go bang bang till the last person is dead, rambo style.
Nice, sound right up my alley then. I’ll check them out - thanks.

Blue Ruin might the most perfect revenge films in a long time. Pretty sure it's on netflix as well
Blue Ruin is a really good film.

The Dry - following the death of his friend and his friend’s family, detective Eric Bana returns to his remote Aussie hometown to investigate. But he’s less than wanted as many still remember why he left town in the first place - did he really have something to do with the death of a young girl when he was just a teen? Hector, Prince of Troy/10.

Nobody-
Saul Goodman, Doc Brown and RZA take on the Russian mob. I’ve waited my whole life to see an 82 year old Christopher Lloyd go John Wick on some Russian Spec Ops, and that day has finally come. 88/10

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The Woodsman and the Rain - A touching and quaint comedy about a woodsman who meets and befriends a young movie director.

The woodsman has lost his wife and is embittered but opens up to the director, who's a softy and unable to handle his directorial duties.

As it continues, it subtly shows what they learn from one another. The woodsman builds a better relationship with his own 'slacker' son and takes to helping the community get involved in the movie too, which benefits it by having somebody onboard who can deal with their casting problems.

The best moment is when the woodsman carves the young director a chair out of Japanese cypress wood. Smell it, he implores. And he does.

It all takes place in a rural prefecture somewhere near Tokyo.

If you like Japanese films about ordinary people, you might like it.

Sweet Square

Ahh mate that is fantastic movie. The removal of the arrow in the leg was one of my favourite things in cinema :lol: Mystic River and Mandy are two other revenge films I really enjoyed.
There isn't many scenes that get me to look out from the screen but that was one of them. I love how it ended very predictably with him trying to go all rambo and then instead having to run to the emergency room covered in blood. The last 20 minutes genuinely had my heart racing.

Such a good film.

Yeah it's a good watch that
Blue Ruin is a really good film.
Only afterwards did I realise it starred Buzz from Home Alone!

Drawfull

Raiders of the Lost Ark

The film is a ten, obviously, but the 4K with HDR takes it to another level. I got them today and I think that’s when they came out (US maybe earlier?) - edit cos actually they were yesterday, Amazon fecked up my steel books so I cancelled and ordered standard.

I haven’t streamed it; iTunes has upgraded all 4 though if you already had the HD versions to 4K DV Atmos.

A few scenes are soft (some weirdly so, especially some of the opening jungle stuff) but once they get to Cairo especially it’s really really gorgeous. Still some softness though - Indy about to drop down into the well of souls is particularly soft.

The Atmos mix is more than OK, brilliant in parts, but was expecting more - again the jungle was a bit hmm.

If you’ve a way to watch the discs in 4K with Atmos (however disappointing, it's better than the Blu Rays) it’s a really good release. I expect the 4K stream will look essentially identical but you’ll lose a bit on SQ due to the compression

Can’t wait to watch the next 3 with this remastering, I love them all.

Last edited:

Tarrou

I thought Wrath of Man was a bit rubbish really. Started off promising but was bored shitless by the end as it all inevitably played out exactly as you'd expect.

Dante

Average bang
Raiders of the Lost Ark

The film is a ten, obviously, but the 4K with HDR takes it to another level. I got them today and I think that’s when they came out (US maybe earlier?) - edit cos actually they were yesterday, Amazon fecked up my steel books so I cancelled and ordered standard.

I haven’t streamed it; iTunes has upgraded all 4 though if you already had the HD versions to 4K DV Atmos.

A few scenes are soft (some weirdly so, especially some of the opening jungle stuff) but once they get to Cairo especially it’s really really gorgeous. Still some softness though - Indy about to drop down into the well of souls is particularly soft.

The Atmos mix is more than OK, brilliant in parts, but was expecting more - again the jungle was a bit hmm.

If you’ve a way to watch the discs in 4K with Atmos (however disappointing, it's better than the Blu Rays) it’s a really good release. I expect the 4K stream will look essentially identical but you’ll lose a bit on SQ due to the compression

Can’t wait to watch the next 3 with this remastering, I love them all.
Say what, now?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They have just got worse each time with the last one falling off a fecking cliff.
I'll agree on that final one, but seriously, you like Doom better than Crusade? Oh man...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'll agree on that final one, but seriously, you like Doom better than Crusade? Oh man...
Crusade just didn't quite work for me although I haven't re-watched it since it was released I don't think. I seem to remember that the addition of Connery didn't ring true to me for some reason.

Temple of Doom, despite the racists caricatures that prompted the return to Nazi's as villains (as we are allowed to hate sterotypical Nazis ;) ) was a film very faithful to the spirit of the films of the 30s and 40's. Some of the action was excellent.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Crusade just didn't quite work for me although I haven't re-watched it since it was released I don't think. I seem to remember that the addition of Connery didn't ring true to me for some reason.

Temple of Doom, despite the racists caricatures that prompted the return to Nazi's as villains (as we are allowed to hate sterotypical Nazis ;) ) was a film very faithful to the spirit of the films of the 30s and 40's. Some of the action was excellent.
I like Raiders best: good mix between action, humour, and tension. Doom to me has far too little humour and action, and is too grim. Crusade is a bit too slapstick I think (that's where Connery comes in - although it's the plot, not his performance specifically), but I like it far better than Doom. Let's not talk about pt 4. (Which actually wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for the stupid kid and Shia LeBeouf's portrayal of him.)

Dante

Average bang
In The Heights

Good, as far as musicals go. But quite a cliched storyline. And although it's not as good as Hamilton, it's definitely worth a watch if liked that one. 7/10