Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Kate - Generic, underdeveloped chatacers; forced, hammy emotional scenes and clumsy, clogging attempts at action make for a very forgettable movie. Super disappointing as I was really looking forward to this release. Netflix, you've fooled me again.
Stole time from me too :mad: Not to mention the twist or reveal was super obvious from the beginning.

I told my wife as soon as Kate told Woddy Harelson's character about quitting that the movie will be about him trying to get her killed because of that. And once she was poisoned, it was obvious that her own people did it. Lame they went with such an obvious arc.

ChrisNelson

Cop Shop

Not a bad effort to be fair, gets better as it goes on.

Think Assault On Precinct 13, 16 Blocks etc...

It's very violent, with some good performances and Butler & Grillo do a good job producing as well as acting (I think Grillo is underused by Hollywood in the 'big movies'.

Some parts are silly and some characters maybe slightly exaggerated but it all adds to the fun of a back to basics action thriller.

7.5/10

diarm

Got talked into watching Cruella this evening and ended up quite enjoying it.

Film was decent but the soundtrack was superb! Both Emma's - Thompson and Stone knocked it out of the park as well.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
god-tier stunts and choreography in this thread

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The Card Counter

I really enjoyed this movie. It's both a card player movie and not at all a card player movie. It tackles some heavy issues and does so in a way that comes off as original and genuine. Sure, the Isaacs character might be a little too genius (he's basically Stuey Ungar tier) but that's compensated by his severe weaknesses so it comes off as slightly parable-like (in a gritty way). Wish Defoe had a little more screentime though.
Overall a quite enjoyable film and a great break from all the over-the-top action chaff of the summer.

OleBoiii

Memories of Murder

I gave it a second chance after not being completely swayed 5(ish) years ago. I enjoyed it a lot more now. The main story is as good as I remember, but I didn't appreciate the beautiful shots and the surprisingly funny moments(for such a dark film) the first time. Very good stuff! I'm glad that my wife pushed me to give it a second chance.

Many people consider it to be Bong's best film, but I still think Parasite is better. Memories of Murder has more charm, though.

AaronRedDevil

Cop Shop

Not a bad effort to be fair, gets better as it goes on.

Think Assault On Precinct 13, 16 Blocks etc...

It's very violent, with some good performances and Butler & Grillo do a good job producing as well as acting (I think Grillo is underused by Hollywood in the 'big movies'.

Some parts are silly and some characters maybe slightly exaggerated but it all adds to the fun of a back to basics action thriller.

7.5/10
Just saw this last night. Really surprisingly good movie. It was a fun watch.

pauldyson1uk

Malignant

Madison is paralyzed by shocking visions of grisly murders, and her torment worsens as she discovers that these waking dreams are in fact terrifying realities.
One of the best horrors I have seen in a good while, very original concept, never seen a horror quite like it, the closest film I can think of was The Manitou from 1978
The twist totally got me.
Highly recommend this.

9/10

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Old It is hard to convey exactly how truly terrible this film is. An idiotic concept (so stunningly stupid that when the reveal occurs you might well laugh - or cry) combined with horribly clunky dialogue and paint by numbers acting. Spending a couple of hours punching yourself in the face would be more enjoyable. -9/10

pauldyson1uk

Old

A vacationing family discovers that the secluded beach where they're relaxing for a few hours is somehow causing them to age rapidly, reducing their entire lives into a single day.
It was OK , watch oce the never again, could have been so much better, interesting concept, just poorly made.

4/10

pauldyson1uk

Old It is hard to convey exactly how truly terrible this film is. An idiotic concept (so stunningly stupid that when the reveal occurs you might well laugh - or cry) combined with horribly clunky dialogue and paint by numbers acting. Spending a couple of hours punching yourself in the face would be more enjoyable. -9/10
HA HA we must have been watching it at the same time, cant disagree with anything you posted, I thought it was just about watchable.

Roosney

Sorry for highjacking this thread but I'm looking for two films:

• the first one is a horror film from the 70's or 80's, it's about a survivor of a shipwreck who gets rescued and picked up by a big ship. He ends up killing the whole crew by using supernatural forces, maybe a bit like The Thing. In the end he gets in the water and impersonates as a shipwreck survivor to start it all over again. It was French but it coulda been dubbed.

• Second one is drama/horror, American, maybe from 90's or early 00's. It's about a working family in the 1960's(?), the only scene I remember was a family dinner one, the strict father and oldest son ridicule a younger son for believing there's ghosts in their apartment and then they all hear stomping noises from upstairs. The father and the oldest son run up to see what's the ruckus about and get spooked half dead by some granny ghost.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Malignant
How things have come full circle. The last movie I watched at the cinema before lockdown is Leigh Whannell's Invisible Man and now the first movie post lockdown is James Wan's Malignant.

The less you know about this movie before going in the better so I'll skip the summary. I was super excited to see this as Wan is my favourite director and it did not disappoint.

It's very different to all the horror films coming out these days, more reminiscent of the Italian Giallo films. Crazy plot, cheesy, a little camp, utterly ridiculous concept and just a blast. A real popcorn film for true horror fans. I highly recommend this movie.

My main issue with the movie was the pacing. The opening act was usual Wan stuff, creepy, tense, good setup. The final act was bonkers and unlike anything I've seen in a very very long time. I just found the middle act to drag a bit. They needed to shorten that and get to the final act quicker... I wanted to see more of that final act.

Of course, there were plot holes bigger than Rikishi's arse and some of the acting and dialogue was laughably bad but that's no different than any 80s horror shlock so I think that might have been intentional.

Also found it weird that Wan's wife is in this movie, hitting on a detective who looks exactly like James Wan... A plotline that literally goes nowhere... What the hell :lol:

If this was 20 minutes shorter, would have made the world of difference but it's unique and I recommend anyone who loves horror to see it 7.5/10

The Fourth Kind

A psychiatrist has her life turned upside down when an entity enters her life... The same entity that all her patients have been saying have affected them. I remember hating this when it came out because it positions itself as a true story when clearly it's not. But watching it now, knowing this, it was a better watch. I just feel it completely missed the landing with the ending. No cathartic finish, just cops out 5.5/10

Worth

Follows the head of an insurance firm who is in charge of valuing the pay outs to the various victims of the 9/11 attacks. Thought this was a unique and human take on a tragedy that has been covered in films a fair bit. Great performances, especially from Michael Keating and Stanley Tucci. It's on Netflix, definitely a recommend 7/10

The Forever Purge

I liked the concept in the original but the execution was pretty bad. The second film delivered the premise properly. Since then, it's gone from one shit movie to another. This one isn't the worst entry and just a fun action flick. It just needed to stop trying to be profound with its heavy handed messages and instead lean into the ridiculous concept 5.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
First They Killed My Father. A Cambodian film directed by Angelina Jolie, depicting the experiences of a 7-year old girl under the Khmer Rouge from 1975-1978.

It's a very impressive film in terms of its emotional impact. Beautifully shot, too (although the word 'beautiful' clashes hard with the terrible subject matter of the film). Just a little too slow around the middle for me. I felt like I got the idea about how bad it was, and was ready to move on to the next narrative episode.

An interesting aspect is that the film is entirely told from that perspective of the girl. So apart from a brief introduction of preceding historical events at the start of the film, the only context we get is when adults around the girl mention what's happening - which they don't do all that much. That's very powerful but can also be a little confusing. If you're planning on watching this, I would therefore suggest a one-minute read-up on the general history of the period (basically: Khmer Rouge take power in 1975; they fall out with Vietnam; the Vietnamese invade in 1978 and remove them from power). It helps contextualize events a little - cause I was quite lost about why Vietnam would be the enemy (since the Viet Cong where originally the Khmer Rouge's ally) or why they attacked at the end.

Other than that, it's a strong film that provides a lot of insight and understanding into the suffering of the Cambodian people at the time. That makes it a hard watch, but also something I'd really recommend if you're up for it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh, I also watched Good On Paper earlier this week. It's a Netflix comedy about a woman dating a guy who pretends to be someone he isn't. The film mostly fails pretty hard, except for the interactions between the main character and her close friend: those are funny, and it's what made me finish the film.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Charley Varrick (1973), watched this last night and gotta say I loved it, Walter Matthau at his very best in this story of a bank heist that not only attracts the attention of the police but also from the mafia. Its great fun. 7.5/10

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I wanted to like it but it was terrible. Soap opera acting

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I haven't posted in a while so let me purloin some from my Letterbox'd. They're all Japanese/Korean because I'm that way inclined.

Like You Know It All 2009
★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 17 Sep 2021
Saddens me to say but this is one of my least favourite Sang-soo movies.

The only good scene is when the retired painter and his wife are randomly invited to discuss their sex life. It's an unexpected moment that brings to life the chaotic nature of the main character's inner monologue - only projected outwards in an awkward and stupid way, as Sang-soo's protags are prone to do. Two days later and that's the only thing I remember.

If you're planning a Sang-soo marathon I'd leave it 'til last.

Bashing 2005
★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 07 Sep 2021
Have you ever watched a movie and then 90 minutes later the credits began and you realise you had no reaction to it whatsoever? Well that’s this one for me.

It’s based on a true story of a political activist (Yuko Takai) who was captured in the Middle East and returned to Japan where she was shunned as a disgrace. She’s not even able to go to the store lest some rotten kids knock soup out of her hand.

It’s all subtly yet very political; an attempt to paint Japan in a bad light by declaring it a deferent society (which I'm not exactly debating).

Unfortunately for me it tries just that bit too hard to be political. I had a really tough time having even a cursory interest in its any of its characters, which ain't great.

Colorful 2010
★★★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 31 Aug 2021
Liked this. It’s about a teenage boy who kills himself but is brought back to the world of the living for one last chance. Tensions arise as he tries to understand life, death and how disappointing other people generally are.

Despite the animated style, it presents a somewhat realistic account of struggling to move on from past mistakes, making assured points about growing up and, you know, just getting over yourself.

I highly recommend it for fans of reflective drama :)

Castaway on the Moon 2009
★★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 27 Aug 2021
Before I started this I joked with a friend that it was going to be a remake of Castaway but with Wilson the volleyball replaced by a bowl of kimchi and as it turns out that wasn't entirely inaccurate...

Decent film btw. Easy to watch with likable characters.

Ending is a bit melodramatic but that's Korea for you.

big rons sovereign

Watched predator the other night. It just happened to be on.
No need for a review as everybody knows it's excellent.
But I will leave this here.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
A Quiet Place: Part 2
John Krasinski writes and directs this sequel to the hugely popular, high concept horror; A Quiet Place. I thought this was again a really well constructed movie with solid performances from the cast (which now includes the amazing Cillian Murphy). With a concept like this, it's always easy to amp up the suspense and there were some moments that really made me jump. I felt that the ending let it down somewhat because:

It's essentially the same as the first, pretty much showing us what we already know and is the logical next step anyway?

The series needs to now go in a different direction as two movies, where it's more of the same can be forgiven but it really needs to evolve. Also, they need to stop making the son a dumb shit, really ruins parts of the movie because he does stupid things you wouldn't expect when he's been in this situation for what seems to be a long while (at least narratively). So all in all, a good continuation of the story but needs to go up a gear for the next one 7/10

Nobody

Whilst this was a decent B-Movie style action flick, I really don't understand the hype it got on release. I remember people even here raving about it and giving it really high scores. Seems to have high Rotten Tomatoes score too... I just didn't get that. It's basically a shittier version of John Wick. Then I realised that it was by the same writer so it feels like this got all the scenes that were not good enough for the Keanu films... My main issue is that the main character always seemed to have the upper hand so there was never really any suspense what-so-ever. As an action movie, this was fine but John Wick did this exact movie, only much better 6/10

dinostar77

Kate

Loved the movie. Thought it was great. Loved the setting of Tokyo, brought back memories from visiting there years ago.

AaronRedDevil

The Many Saints of Newark.

The whole movie mostly focused on Christopher’s dad. He was a good character in the movie. It was fun seeing a younger Silvio, Paulie, Junior. The actress that played Livia did a great job being the usual annoying bitch that she is. It was a great idea picking James Gandolfini real son. He definetly has his sly smile when he’s on the screen. Everyone did a good job playing these characters but obviously not as good as the OG’s. My major gripe with this movie is that it focus on this African American family through almost half the movie for no reason. While it was focused on them, it didn’t pay anything to the movie up until the end and even then they could have done it without the family being in it. It ruined what we all want to see IMO. There wasn’t enough time spent on Silvio and Paulie together which I would have really liked. Not enough time on junior either. I felt being left wanting more which is ironic compared to the shows ending. It wasn’t a bad movie but it wasn’t that great either. I’ll give it a 5/10.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Gunpowder Milkshake (2021)

Stylish, yet ridiculously ludicrous poor man's (or should I say poor woman's) version of John Wick with a kick ass soundtrack, excellent cinematography but a little lacking in its final execution. You really have to ignore the incredulous plot, rehashed from scores of movies that have gone before it and just enjoy it for what it is. And enjoy it I certainly did. A lot of thought had gone into every scene enhanced by the vibrant use of colour, giving the film a very distinctive feel and vibe. I thought Gillan was great but supported by a heavyweight cast criminally under-utilised. Yes, I'm talking to you Michelle Yeoh! Still, seeing Angela Bassett smash a guy's face into a milkshake in slo-mo was by far the best scene of the whole movie for me and almost made up for it.

Action sequences were slick, but not gratifying enough for me. There really is no story to talk of but a bit more back story might have helped though we do get the 15 years ago flashback I suppose. Perhaps I just need to watch it again but at least I wasn't dismayed at first viewing.

I'm giving this a 6.5/10.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I haven't posted in a while so let me purloin some from my Letterbox'd. They're all Japanese/Korean because I'm that way inclined.

Like You Know It All 2009
★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 17 Sep 2021
Saddens me to say but this is one of my least favourite Sang-soo movies.

The only good scene is when the retired painter and his wife are randomly invited to discuss their sex life. It's an unexpected moment that brings to life the chaotic nature of the main character's inner monologue - only projected outwards in an awkward and stupid way, as Sang-soo's protags are prone to do. Two days later and that's the only thing I remember.

If you're planning a Sang-soo marathon I'd leave it 'til last.

Bashing 2005
★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 07 Sep 2021
Have you ever watched a movie and then 90 minutes later the credits began and you realise you had no reaction to it whatsoever? Well that’s this one for me.

It’s based on a true story of a political activist (Yuko Takai) who was captured in the Middle East and returned to Japan where she was shunned as a disgrace. She’s not even able to go to the store lest some rotten kids knock soup out of her hand.

It’s all subtly yet very political; an attempt to paint Japan in a bad light by declaring it a deferent society (which I'm not exactly debating).

Unfortunately for me it tries just that bit too hard to be political. I had a really tough time having even a cursory interest in its any of its characters, which ain't great.

Colorful 2010
★★★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 31 Aug 2021
Liked this. It’s about a teenage boy who kills himself but is brought back to the world of the living for one last chance. Tensions arise as he tries to understand life, death and how disappointing other people generally are.

Despite the animated style, it presents a somewhat realistic account of struggling to move on from past mistakes, making assured points about growing up and, you know, just getting over yourself.

I highly recommend it for fans of reflective drama :)

Castaway on the Moon 2009
★★★ Watched by Vidyoyo - 27 Aug 2021
Before I started this I joked with a friend that it was going to be a remake of Castaway but with Wilson the volleyball replaced by a bowl of kimchi and as it turns out that wasn't entirely inaccurate...

Decent film btw. Easy to watch with likable characters.

Ending is a bit melodramatic but that's Korea for you.
Have you seen Lang Tong? I reviewed it a while back.

cyberman

The Many Saints of Newark.

The whole movie mostly focused on Christopher’s dad. He was a good character in the movie. It was fun seeing a younger Silvio, Paulie, Junior. The actress that played Livia did a great job being the usual annoying bitch that she is. It was a great idea picking James Gandolfini real son. He definetly has his sly smile when he’s on the screen. Everyone did a good job playing these characters but obviously not as good as the OG’s. My major gripe with this movie is that it focus on this African American family through almost half the movie for no reason. While it was focused on them, it didn’t pay anything to the movie up until the end and even then they could have done it without the family being in it. It ruined what we all want to see IMO. There wasn’t enough time spent on Silvio and Paulie together which I would have really liked. Not enough time on junior either. I felt being left wanting more which is ironic compared to the shows ending. It wasn’t a bad movie but it wasn’t that great either. I’ll give it a 5/10.
They were stuck with the young actors though. Go too deep and it becomes clear they are levels below the original stars and it looks like cosplay.

Sweet Square

I'll take your Maggie Cheung and raise you Brigitte Lin.

He is easily my favourite director but it feel like cheating that Wong Kar Wai has some of the best looking people on the planet to star in his movies. Ken Loach hasn't got that luxury when filming a drama in the north of England!

Although I've moved onto Mads smoking on zoom calls now

Cinematography is another level.

Last edited: