Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah I watched it again quite recently after a long time. It’s flawless really, almost every scene is iconic.
And beautifully shot. You can put it in on pause almost anywhere and the scene composition will be excellent.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Watched the new Candyman film over the weekend,
Found it distinctly lacking in horror, the original films had an overbearing feeling of fear and terror, yet this new reboot comes across as going through the motions.

The cinematography is immense and the political/racism undertones are well done without distracting from the folklore of the Candyman.

Just disappointed when a horror film lacks any horror, tension, terror or scares in general.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Halloween Kills

Michael Myers is back on the loose and by the end of the film I was rooting for him. There are some awful characters in this film who rightfully got splattered along the way.

Jamie Lee Curtis is looking old and the same could be said about this franchise which is now just regurgitating thoughtless plots.

4/10

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Don't Breathe 2
Not sure why this was made. The first was a really fun horror movie with a decent concept. This leans more into action territory and doesn't have the conundrum the first had (of who is the real villain of the piece)... There was a moment where it looked like there was a kernel of a good story thread forming but then it quickly shits the bed. The movie is very violent and has some tense scenes but is just too dark to properly enjoy. I was squinting a lot 5.5/10

Prisoners Of The Ghostland

Nic Cage has to rescue the niece of a warlord from an apocalyptic place called The Ghostland or else the explosive suit he's wearing will explode. A film that tries too hard to be weird and wacky but never feels organically strange (like the Nic Cage film Mandy). Whilst it has its moments, the film just drags and is boring for long periods, a crime considering the premise and star... Oh, and Cage's right testicle explodes at one point :lol: I really wanted to enjoy this but it's not very good 4.5/10

AaronRedDevil

Halloween Kills

Michael Myers is back on the loose and by the end of the film I was rooting for him. There are some awful characters in this film who rightfully got splattered along the way.

Jamie Lee Curtis is looking old and the same could be said about this franchise which is now just regurgitating thoughtless plots.

4/10
Just saw this movie and I loved it :lol:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Free Guy. I had never even heard of this film until I saw this post in the 'Scorsese Hates Marvel (And How We Agree!)' thread:
bleak!

really thought it was an ad at first. apparently it's from the 7th best grossing movie of the year.
That looked a lot of fun, and then it appeared in my local second-run cinema - so this has become the first film I've seen in cinema since the pandemic started. Thanks for the great tip, @berbatrick! :D

And I actually liked it, too. Ryan Reynolds is always fun (@BusbyMalone ;) ), and the film is a pretty good ride. It gets a bit soppy near the end, which doesn't really work as the story is pretty thin; and they have to get a little creative with the limits of a programmer's powers to create tension. (I mean, I was questioning that while watching the final action sequence, and that's the one thing an action film should avoid happening.) But everything before that is very entertaining, and it's a really good film in that sense. (Yes, it's capital-E Entertainment, not capital-C Cinema.) So if you're in for a big action movie and could do without the super heroes or the weird weight that film makers often try to give those - Free Guy is fun!

I was also thinking it's kinda like those big 90s action blockbusters (Con Air, The Rock, etc.), as it's just a standalone action thing. Updated to current themes, tastes, and sensitivities of course - but it's not part of any franchise, it's its own thing.

And yes, that scene from @berbatrick's post works really well in the film. it's actually the only time it does this sort of referencing other films (that's not its schtick at all), and works really well, coming near the end as a sort of climactic thing.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Free Guy. I had never even heard of this film until I saw this post in the 'Scorsese Hates Marvel (And How We Agree!)' thread:

That looked a lot of fun, and then it appeared in my local second-run cinema - so this has become the first film I've seen in cinema since the pandemic started. Thanks for the great tip, @berbatrick! :D

And I actually liked it, too. Ryan Reynolds is always fun (@BusbyMalone ;) ), and the film is a pretty good ride. It gets a bit soppy near the end, which doesn't really work as the story is pretty thin; and they have to get a little creative with the limits of a programmer's powers to create tension. (I mean, I was questioning that while watching the final action sequence, and that's the one thing an action film should avoid happening.) But everything before that is very entertaining, and it's a really good film in that sense. (Yes, it's capital-E Entertainment, not capital-C Cinema.) So if you're in for a big action movie and could do without the super heroes or the weird weight that film makers often try to give those - Free Guy is fun!

I was also thinking it's kinda like those big 90s action blockbusters (Con Air, The Rock, etc.), as it's just a standalone action thing. Updated to current themes, tastes, and sensitivities of course - but it's not part of any franchise, it's its own thing.

And yes, that scene from @berbatrick's post works really well in the film. it's actually the only time it does this sort of referencing other films (that's not its schtick at all), and works really well, coming near the end as a sort of climactic thing.

Old Ma Crow

Takers

Great cast, good plot with some stand out scenes and a bonus because it was surprisingly good. Awesome closing song too.

The Good Liar

Worth watching just for Mirren and Mckellen alone. Kept me guessing.

Sweet Square

Taipei Suicide Story

Amazing short film about a suicide hotel and the relationship between a staff member and one of the hotel guests.

10/10

onemanarmy

Belgica. Two brothers in Ghent decide to turn one of the brothers' bar into a nightclub. But the drama unfolds as the brothers, who are party animals themselves, now have to run a difficult business. I don't really know what to think of the film. It's a strong and pretty intense drama - but then it also feels a little too exaggerated and predictable. (Like: of course they eventually get back to the security company they reject at first, and what they feared would happen if they did that then does indeed happen.) it was OK I guess. Also, I can't follow this Ghent dialect for shit! It must be the first time I genuinely needed subtitles for a film in Dutch.
Haha, and Gent's isn't even that hard to understand, West-Vlaams is much worse.

It was a decent movie, best thing about it was the soundtrack by the Dewaele brothers (2 many dj's, soulwax).

Felix Van Groeningen is such a good director. De helaasheid der dingen is my favorite, but Broken Circle Breakdown, Beautiful boy and Steve + Sky are good too. I'm convinced that if he was an American director he would have international recognition.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain

I watched this on Disney+ last night. I thought it was excellent nonsense. Lot's of great meta references too (obviously taking the piss out of Fortnite being a big one). I thought 'Dude' was hilarious. The music editing in bits was so brilliantly done as well ('I came in like a wrecking ball') and the way the camera cut when Free Guy and Millie were kissing to look at real life Millie was hilarious.

All in all, it's a great movie if you just want to switch your brain off and enjoy.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Haha, and Gent's isn't even that hard to understand, West-Vlaams is much worse.

It was a decent movie, best thing about it was the soundtrack by the Dewaele brothers (2 many dj's, soulwax).

Felix Van Groeningen is such a good director. De helaasheid der dingen is my favorite, but Broken Circle Breakdown, Beautiful boy and Steve + Sky are good too. I'm convinced that if he was an American director he would have international recognition.
Oh I know! When my brother first played me a Hof van Commerce cd, he asked me what language it was, and I honestly had no idea! I could actually follow good parts of the dialogue in Belgica once I got used to it, so I'm pretty sure I could understand Gents fine in a real setting; but it's always harder in films. Even in The Forgotten Battle, which is set in Zeeland, I had trouble understanding some of the Dutch dialogue...

I have not seen the other Van Groeningen films unfortunately. But I agree the music was great. The Dewaele brothers are awesome - they've done across a host of genres, too, in the film and their own acts. :)
I watched this on Disney+ last night. I thought it was excellent nonsense. Lot's of great meta references too (obviously taking the piss out of Fortnite being a big one). I thought 'Dude' was hilarious. The music editing in bits was so brilliantly done as well ('I came in like a wrecking ball') and the way the camera cut when Free Guy and Millie were kissing to look at real life Millie was hilarious.

All in all, it's a great movie if you just want to switch your brain off and enjoy.
Yep, totally agreed. I missed most of those gamer references though, I have never played Fortnight or Halo or etc. So I guess it was a lot more meta than I realized.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Yep, totally agreed. I missed most of those gamer references though, I have never played Fortnight or Halo or etc. So I guess it was a lot more meta than I realized.
To be honest, most of them flew over my head as well. I'm sure there were some famous Twitch streamers in the movie too that I have no idea who they are.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
To be honest, most of them flew over my head as well. I'm sure there were some famous Twitch streamers in the movie too that I have no idea who they are.
I figured when looking up the film on Wikipedia that I missed out on a lot of it, so I watched a short video on it. Yes, lots of famous faces if you're part of the crowd.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Lion

True story of a five year old in India who gets lost hundreds of miles from home and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple and then in adulthood sets out to find his birth home.

It is basically a tale of two halves with the first half harrowing for the young boy after he gets lost following his elder brother. The second half is much more uplifting and even showing how the internet could be useful in these circumstances.

Basically a wonderful film superbly acted by the young boy in the first half of the film. Not seen this for a few years but glad I watched it again.

9/10

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Lion

True story of a five year old in India who gets lost hundreds of miles from home and is eventually adopted by an Australian couple and then in adulthood sets out to find his birth home.

It is basically a tale of two halves with the first half harrowing for the young boy after he gets lost following his elder brother. The second half is much more uplifting and even showing how the internet could be useful in these circumstances.

Basically a wonderful film superbly acted by the young boy in the first half of the film. Not seen this for a few years but glad I watched it again.

9/10
That last scene was great. Had a lump in the throat.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Whoever posted that tweet has gone and done it. He's going to whip out all the pre-1920s shots taken by cameramen dangling from a rig made of dry wheat stalks and pipe-cleaner, which hadn't even been invented yet.
"Whatever you do now that you think is new was already done in 1913." - Martin Scorsese. That's a better quote from him.

hungrywing

"Whatever you do now that you think is new was already done in 1913." - Martin Scorsese. That's a better quote from him.
There is no thing new under the sun. - Eccles "Martin" Iastese.

On a related note, I recently came across the following multiple times while reading up on AI:

P-creativity vs. H-creativity
(Boden 1992)
– P-creativity or psychological (or personal) creativity:
novel just to the agent that produces it
– H-creativity or historical creativity:
creativity that is recognized as novel by society

via here (and other places)

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The Guilty
Jake Gyllenhaal stars in this movie about a disgraced cop who's working at a 911 dispatch centre and ends up in a race against time to stop the kidnapping of a woman. I love one-location movies and this is another one that I really enjoyed. Great acting by Jake, the story felt big in scale despite being entirely at the dispatch centre. I felt the twists were a bit easy to see coming and I wish the film had some more meat to the bones of the narrative but despite that, I had a good time. I heard it's a remake of a Danish movie, which I must seek out 7/10

Loon

:lol:
The Guilty
Jake Gyllenhaal stars in this movie about a disgraced cop who's working at a 911 dispatch centre and ends up in a race against time to stop the kidnapping of a woman. I love one-location movies and this is another one that I really enjoyed. Great acting by Jake, the story felt big in scale despite being entirely at the dispatch centre. I felt the twists were a bit easy to see coming and I wish the film had some more meat to the bones of the narrative but despite that, I had a good time. I heard it's a remake of a Danish movie, which I must seek out 7/10
The original Danish movie has been on Netflix for a couple of years. That's where I first saw it. Not seen this one yet.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
The original Danish movie has been on Netflix for a couple of years. That's where I first saw it. Not seen this one yet.
It looks like an almost direct remake of the original.
I might have to watch the original if it's on Netflix.

I heard the main difference is the remake humanised the character more for better or for worse.

pauldyson1uk

Halloween Kills

The acting was dreadful.
The hospital scenes when they were all rounding round after the wrong man was farcical, more like something out of a Carry on than a a horror.
If you like blood there is plenty, the music is there.
The ending well it was what you would expect it to be, there is another film next year !!
I enjoyed it to a point, the evil must die and evil is dead singing was cringeworthy.

5/10

AaronRedDevil

Dune (2021)

Well that was crap. They had the balls to even try and compare this to Star Wars and Lord of the fecking Rings. 2 and a half hours of build up to nothing. For book readers I’m sure they get what’s going on and all the back stories, but in the movie I was so lost of what was going on. The acting was ok, the main fella reminds me of Edward from twilight. Just a blank stare. Let’s just say I’d rather watch The last Jedi then this again. I didn’t care about the characters. The world building was fine. The acting was decent. The score was ok but it’s annoying when it’s ramped up when there nothing happening to justify the music. Plus I think It was just boring for most of the movie and I get it’s just part one, where it’s a set up. But the first half of Fellowship was slow but it’s still entertaining. Overall I’d give it a 4/10. Its a shame because I was looking forward to enjoying this.
The flashbacks to Zendeya every 20 mins with the score blasting like it’s epic was annoying as hell, killed the pace. We get it, she’s pretty. Stop doing it. And when they finally meet they barely speak. That skarsgard was hilarious when they tried to poison him and he’s there crouched into the fecking corner of the ceiling like he’s a spider :lol: . Batista was just there to stare and talk for a few mins, he was barely in the movie. Josh Brolin was wasted in this. It was really dragging in the 2nd half of the movie. Also the armour shield doesn’t make sense. How was it bouncing off hits most of the time and yet Jason was able to kill them off in one hit

Dante

Average bang
Love and Monster (2020)

Decent. I reckon I would have loved this as an 11 year old.

Fun action, generic but quirky characters, heavy handed emotionality, a relateable lead, and a handful of funny jokes. There are worse ways to waste a bit of time.

7/10