Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Red Notice

ugh. Ryan Reynolds elicits the odd chuckle but is too Ryan Reynoldsy. Dwayne Johnson just phones it in, and is in súper generic form. Gal Gadot tries to do this whole character actor performance but cannot act at all and is just painfully annoying. Honestly, I don’t know how she gets any acting work. The plot is largely inconsequential. It feels like an extended SNL sketch. Just fecking awful.

2/10
Agreed. But that’s not him phoning it in. That’s literally as good as it gets. He can’t act. He has intensity as he’s a big unit with a good smile (a million dollar smile). But he’s just the same thing in every movie.

It’s lazy to throw all ex WWE folks into one pot. But you can take a look at Dave Bautista and immediately see that he wants to be an actor. Cena as fun and brilliant in Suicide Squad, but it’s not outside his comfort zone. Bautista was a decent actor that’s committed to getting better. The Rock is worse now than he was 15 years ago. He’s a lazy copy/paste cartoon in everything.

caid

I quite liked him in Southland Tales. It was a sublimely stupid movie and he was perfect.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The Matrix - watching this again after so many years, and it's aged so well. Still just a fascinating movie. Shame about the sequels. Also really interesting watching this after attending the Landmark Forum. 9/10

Dune -
admittedly, I didn't watch this on a big screen, but I found it disappointing. Did Timothy Chalamet do anything other than look morose? And the fight scene at the end with Fremen was so poorly done. The visuals were nice though. 3/10

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Rocky IV: Rocky vs Drago - The Ultimate Directors Cut

As a huge Rocky fan I even came across this accidentally and never knew it had been released. It is basically the same film with loads of scenes deleted but filled in with unreleased footage of the film which was intriguing, particularly the part where Duke speaks an euloguy at Apollo’s funeral.

If not a Rocky fan then it isn’t a film to wet your whistle but if you loved the franchise you will definitely enjoy it.

The fight scenes in Apollo vs Drago gave a different complexion on the fight and why Apollo wanted to fight him so much was more explored. You also see more scenes featuring Drago with a lot more speaking from him and you can see why they hardly gave him any lines in the final cut.

Rocky fan 9/10

New film 3/10 nowhere close to original Rocky IV

Last edited:

Superden

Tried watching the revenant again for the umpteenth time. Normally doze off after an hour. This time just couldn't believe anyone would survive that bear attack, so googled it and then spent the next hour in a rabbit hole reading about the actual events the film is based on, and the travails of those who went out there at the time. Film on in the background and then it finished and god knows what happened.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Monsieur Lazhar. A Quebec film about M. Lazhar, an Algerian immigrant coming in mid-year in 6th grade to replace a teacher who committed suicide by hanging herself in her classroom in the evening. Obviously, the kids and school are traumatized, and soon we learn that M. Lazhar has his own trauma and difficulties as well. It's a drama about growing up, cultural differences, but most importantly, healing. All the same, there are recurrent moments of levity, and the director manages to make sure that things never get too heavy (which would have been easy given the subject matter). A really good film.

Kung-Fu Hustle. Also pretty good, but not my thing. It's a kung-fu comedy, but here the comedy is not in the fighting (there is actually surprisingly little 'real' kung-fu), but in the absurd humour (in a slapstick sense). The story really isn't the point, but let's say we're in the 50s(?), and a axe-wielding gang is terrorizing a poor neighbourhood. Up rise kung-fu heroes that fight the gang, who in turn hire master assassins, and so on. There is a lot of supernatural stuff happening, often through CG, and very stylish, quick camera work - but the humour is really the main draw here. While that's all very good and I understand the highly positive reviews, I unfortunately found most of the film not very funny - and then there isn't much left. But if you see a trailer and think it's hilarious, then you won't go wrong here.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Johnson and Gadot are what AI would judge to be ‘Charismatic’. They are vacuous one-note non entities.

Reynolds phones it in. But he’d be the life and soul of any party.

This idea that Gadot and Johnson are charismatic is nonsensical. They are algorithm friendly characters. That is not the same. They’re the embodiment of “There was this one time, at X”. The soulless empty vessels that make life about them.

Ryan Reynolds resorts to schtick in this movie, but it’s clear that he has a personality.

Yuk to almost all of it.
For what it's worth i dont think netflix have youse in mind when they made this movie.

The characters are cardboard at best it's to cater broader less sophisticated audience that barely speaks english.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Red Notice

Wasn't expecting much based on what I've read but it's an absolute rollercoaster of emotion from start to end.

Reynolds and The Rock are perfect together and the way it blends humour and pathos is unparalleled. One moment I'm laughing uncontrollably, the next I was weeping with sorrow.

Put simply, it's a masterpiece.

8/10

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Red Notice

Amazing movie and an absolute rollercoaster of emotion from start to end.

Reynolds and The Rock are perfect together and the way it blends humour and pathos is pretty much unparalleled.

Put simply, a masterpiece.

8/10
No white text?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I thought it was perfectly watchable that Red Notice one. I mean its basically a kids' film I don't know what you were expecting. It's like getting upset that the plot of a Marvel film is trash. They're pretty much all trash because they're aimed at people who like comics.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
VAMP - 1986

Remember this film from when I was young and loved it then and couldn’t believe it was on Prime. Bit of a road movie/turned vampire movie like ‘From Dusk to Dawn‘ and it is cheesy as hell. Chris Makepeace, Robert Rusler, Grace Jones and Deedee Pfeiffer are the main stars.

Great 80s comedy/horror flick and absolutely loved it again as it doesn’t take itself too seriously and is very much entertaining. It won’t be another 20 odd years before I watch it again.

9/10

Last edited:

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Red Notice - Apparently has a $200 million budget yet looks really cheap at times. Also how does Gal Gadot get work?

Ghostbusters Afterlife - All the new stuff I liked, focusing on kids and having it in an entirely new location, and the few bits of fan service you initially get are fine. But then the bad guy is the exact same one as the first when they could have tried to create new fun ghosts and you get more and more references and that ending. I'm sure there are some who will think it's brilliant but I just found it cringey.

OleBoiii

Rear Window

I finally got to watch the last of Hitchcock's "big four"(the other three being Vertigo, Psycho and North By Northwest). I liked it, although I think you easily could have removed 20-30 minutes of footage and achieved the same magic. I'm also a bit disappointed by the ending, as I thought for a second that they were doing something more clever.

It would have been more interesting if the killer was innocent and they pushed him to actually commit a crime.

I liked it more than Psycho and North By Northwest, but Vertigo is definitely better.

The highlight for me was seeing how some things really haven't changed in almost 70 years! The movie was made in 1954 yet they complain about how people are too logical and careful when it comes to marriage and don't care enough about their neighbors. They even touched upon the ethics of observing someone who doesn't know that they are being observed(which is eerily relevant nowadays).

Last edited:

Wing Attack Plan R

Been wondering how much damage they did to Cowboy Bebop. I read an interview where the show creators were talking about changes to Spike's girlfriend's backstory, referring to it as a big change, but so far no one has mentioned why they made Jet Black black. That seems like a lot bigger and more arbitrary change. It's not like there were no black characters in the show, there were several, just not crew members of the Bebop.

Wing Attack Plan R

Ghostbusters Afterlife - All the new stuff I liked, focusing on kids and having it in an entirely new location, and the few bits of fan service you initially get are fine. But then the bad guy is the exact same one as the first when they could have tried to create new fun ghosts and you get more and more references and that ending. I'm sure there are some who will think it's brilliant but I just found it cringey.
The trailer and other sneak scenes with Finn Wolfhard have been really cringe as well. Pretty sure Millie Bobby Brown is the reason "Stranger Things" was popular, not the collection of dick-less halfwits around her, Finn being the worst of those young actors.

pauldyson1uk

Aftermath

A young couple struggling to stay together, when they are offered an amazing deal on a home with a questionable past that would normally be beyond their means. In a final attempt to start fresh as a couple they take the deal.

Its not the worst haunted house film, nor is it the best, it has its moments
The acting was OK , story has been done many times.
It runs for 1h52m, but its does not get boring.

6/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Raya and the Last Dragon. A Disney animated movie about a daughter of a chief whose fault unleashes evil powers and then had to go on a quest in a fractured and dangerous land to repair her fault en return peace.

I wasn't too impressed by this one. Disney Animations had made a couple of really good movies lately (like Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Zootropolis, Big Hero 6, and yes, I guess also the Frozens - though I'm not a big fan of those), but this one is of a lower level, I thought. It looks great and it's got a lot of things going on, but the story is too rushed and the design is too generic. I'll probably get to watch this another few times with my kids (sigh) and that might change my mind, but I think Disney Animations has definitely done (much) better than this.

Sweet Square

Been wondering how much damage they did to Cowboy Bebop. I read an interview where the show creators were talking about changes to Spike's girlfriend's backstory, referring to it as a big change, but so far no one has mentioned why they made Jet Black black. That seems like a lot bigger and more arbitrary change. It's not like there were no black characters in the show, there were several, just not crew members of the Bebop.
Tbh I don't see the issue with this. He was likely just the best guy for the part and really at least for me I see these remakes as a way to get funds for potentially creating something new but using the banner of old shows(It's basically what Denis Villeneuve has done with his last two films).

I've only a watched a bit of the first episode although it does look a bit shite.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Tbh I don't see the issue with this. He was likely just the best guy for the part and really at least for me I see these remakes as a way to get funds for potentially creating something new but using the banner of old shows(It's basically what Denis Villeneuve has done with his last two films).

I've only a watched a bit of the first episode although it does look a bit shite.
From the trailer, it looked to me kinda like a long Marvel film - or somewhere between Guardians of the Galaxy and Altered Carbon. Also, from the trailer, it only seems to feature men except for two women in sexy outfits. Don't think we'll be watching this...

Wing Attack Plan R

It's a trend that I guess I am not comfortable with: taking existing properties and recasting the leads to fit an agenda, instead of creating new properties that are not constrained. Theoretically fans of the Cowboy Bebop anime would be among the target audience, and they used things from the anime down to an exact level. They use the same music, the same credit sequence but with the live actors swapped in for their animated counterparts, the same ships, in the first episode they have the same signage over the bar on Tijuana as in the anime, except in the anime not all the letters were lit up, etc., but then they recast 1 of the 2 leads. It would be no different than them making Faye black or middle eastern or some other underrepresented ethnicity. It would make as much sense as making Spike a black character instead of an Asian one. And the guy who plays Jet actually is not bad but it feels like he's playing a character instead of being one, as in, his voice and mannerisms are trying really hard to replicate the anime Jet Black, so it seems like he's doing shtick. John Cho does a great job as Spike, though.

The basically already did reimagine Faye by casting Mexican-American actress Danielle Pineda in the role, completely changing her personality, and completely changing the iconic outfits she wore. Now Faye is a dumpy chick in hiking shorts who cracks wise all the time. Why is this important? Because Faye was, for a lot of people, the gateway drug into anime, and she broke the mold. To be fair, her shorts don't usually ride this low in the show, but compare the concept to the live action one, below. Literally I've seen better cosplay than what they went with.

This show has a lot of problems and casting is only one among a vast array. The problem with these massive visual alterations is it makes the show feel like fan fic, or like we're watching a live action cosplay event. I was not impressed with the first episode. The show is lit wrong, it's too crisp and bright, and looks like they are either using too much CGI set extension shit, or they are using dime store video cameras.
or does this?

Faye in the live action:

Cosplay Faye:

Sweet Square

It's a trend that I guess I am not comfortable with: taking existing properties and recasting the leads to fit an agenda, instead of creating new properties that are not constrained. Theoretically fans of the Cowboy Bebop anime would be among the target audience, and they used things from the anime down to an exact level. They use the same music, the same credit sequence but with the live actors swapped in for their animated counterparts, the same ships, in the first episode they have the same signage over the bar on Tijuana as in the anime, except in the anime not all the letters were lit up, etc., but then they recast 1 of the 2 leads. It would be no different than them making Faye black or middle eastern or some other underrepresented ethnicity. It would make as much sense as making Spike a black character instead of an Asian one. And the guy who plays Jet actually is not bad but it feels like he's playing a character instead of being one, as in, his voice and mannerisms are trying really hard to replicate the anime Jet Black, so it seems like he's doing shtick. John Cho does a great job as Spike, though.
Whats the agenda the tv creators are trying to put forward by recasting the leads ? It's been years since I've watch the oringial and haven't watched all of this Netflix show but the race of the characters isn't essential to the story, right ? John Cho is way older than the Spike character, yet thats not an ''agenda'' ? One of the downsides to this new show so far is how it sticks too much to the original series.

The basically already did reimagine Faye by casting Mexican-American actress Danielle Pineda in the role, completely changing her personality, and completely changing the iconic outfits she wore. Now Faye is a dumpy chick in hiking shorts who cracks wise all the time. Why is this important? Because Faye was, for a lot of people, the gateway drug into anime, and she broke the mold. To be fair, her shorts don't usually ride this low in the show, but compare the concept to the live action one, below. Literally I've seen better cosplay than what they went with.
Imo completely changing the character is a positive(Why remake something that's already been done) and Pineda has address the change in character design

The original character might have broke the stereotype in someways but it was still a female character in tiny shorts with massive tits. It was a pure male fantasy. It is impossible to create in the world and and the cosplay outfit you posted wouldn't work filming day to day on a tv set.

This show has a lot of problems and casting is only one among a vast array. The problem with these massive visual alterations is it makes the show feel like fan fic, or like we're watching a live action cosplay event. I was not impressed with the first episode. The show is lit wrong, it's too crisp and bright, and looks like they are either using too much CGI set extension shit, or they are using dime store video cameras.
Agree with you here. There isn't any pop to the visuals, all the shots look very flat and dead. While I don't watch a lot of netflix tv stuff, it does seem to be a common theme for them. So yeah on visual level it's so far very boring and dull to look at.

caid

Dune
Visually think its one of the best pieces of cinema ever. Every shot is outstanding, Character wardrobes and design are brilliant. I want to just give it a 10 for that really. It was incomplete though, doesn't really tell a story so much as set it up and takes a long time to do it.
Great first part but has work to do with the sequels to make something of this, which makes it hard to judge. Definitely worth seeing in the cinema and i'll be back for the next film (or films?)

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

Decent noir-esque flick including Denzel Washington. I have a soft spot for such movies, especially LA Confidential.

OleBoiii

A Hero

It's an Iranian film that won the second-most prestigious prize at the Cannes Film Festival this year. Which makes sense, because it's very good! The story is intriguing and timeless, the writing is good, the acting is on-point and the film is beautifully shot and edited. It's a quite sad and frustrating film though, so be prepared for that.

It's directed by Asghar Farhadi, who also directed A Separation.

Tarrou

I watched that Denzel movie on Netflix, The Little Things

I fell asleep about half way through and doubt I'll bother watching the rest, it was crap

pauldyson1uk

Dashcam

A psychological thriller following Jake, a reclusive news editor, who is inadvertently sent secret dashcam video evidence that points to a possible conspiracy and cover-up involving high-ranking government officials.
I watched all this in the hope it would get better, it never did.
The ending was pretty obvious

3/10

pauldyson1uk

The Dare.

A rare family night for Jay takes a brutal twist when he awakens in a basement with three other prisoners. As their vengeful captor runs riot, Jay engages in a twisted battle to solve the puzzle to his past and save his family's future.
Sick and twisted , if you like Saw you should like this, it is brutal in part.
It was not a bad watch.

6/10

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Godfather 3
I always quite enjoy this movie even if it is obviously the least of the three films. I do understand dear Sofia did not go on to be an Oscar winning actress. "Daddy?" my god...

7.5/10

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A Day in the Neighbourhood. Tom Hanks portrays Mister Rogers, an iconic host and creater of a US tv series for children that ran for 30 years. We don't get a run-through of his life though, as that's not the interesting part; rather, Mister Rogers is fascinating because of the calm, in-the-moment way he looks at life. We discover that through the lens of his encounter with a wary and skeptic investigate journalist, who gets tasked with writing a puff piece on Rogers while dealing with personal issues, and through conversation becomes a better person.

That sounds kinda soppy and uninteresting, but it's a touching film about an amazing person (Mister Rogers) that stays fun and entertaining and doesn't get overly sentimental. I really enjoyed it; a strong and balanced feel-good film - which you don't get too often
Can people give a score out of 10 please?
I won't, sorry. A 7/10 for a highly ambitious, artistic film that doesn't work as well as it could have, is completely different from a 7/10 for a nicely done romantic comedy. And so on. Plus I can never decide. I put a bit more effort in my descriptions and opinions instead.

Idxomer

Shame that there's a great film like Passing on Netflix with one of the most impressive directorial debuts and people are watching Red Notice.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Shame that there's a great film like Passing on Netflix with one of the most impressive directorial debuts and people are watching Red Notice.
What is Passing about though?

Sweet Square

Little Dieter Needs To Fly

Werner Herzog you scary beautiful german genius. Brilliant ''documentary'' about a american solider escaping a prisoner camp during the Vietnam War. It's bizarre, strange, depressing and heartwarming all at the same time and yet as Herzog says it brings out a deeper truth. Also great soundtrack

10/10