Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
reelworld said:
The Wind that Shakes the Barley

Plot:
Tells a story about two brother, Teddy and Damien who joined the IRA with the aim to free Ireland from British occupation. When the Anglo-Irish Treaty was signed (which resulted in RoI as a free state and NI still as part of the British Empire, Teddy thought that it was the best that they can get, while Damien thinks that the treaty was an insult to what they've been fighting for all this time. The two brothers parted ways with tragic consequences.The movie was great, and the ending is heartbreaking.

Rating: 8.5/10
Got rather mawkish at the end.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
SiYuan said:
City of God..

10/10
Saw that the other day...quite disappointed. I guess it got hyped too much.

Too much of it was just people shooting each other. And the protagonist was a bit of a cypher, I didn't much care what happened to him and he had no major decision to make.

Nicely shot though

Spoony

The People's President
Plechazunga said:

Too much of it was just people shooting each other. And the protagonist was a bit of a cypher, I didn't much care what happened to him and he had no major decision to make.

Nicely shot though
It's good, but yeah vastly overrated.

SiYuan

Cafe Grandmaster 2008
Plechazunga said:

Nicely shot though
I felt it was an overachievement for that amount of budget they were set, and most of the people were hired in the slums rather than professional actors.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Oranje said:
Equilibrium. Watch it. Good movie. You probably won't like it. So feck you.
It's rubbish

It's like the Matrix, except with all the good stuff taken out. They even have the main character doing his best impression of Keanu Reeves. Which is really stupid, and ironic, when you think about the part he's supposed to play

Instant Karma

Closet Gooner

Plot Will Ferrell is a Nascar champ with his best buddy as his number two driver / wingman. Sacha Baron Cohen, the F1 champ turns up in Nascar and the story is about how Ferrell gets the better off him.

Rating 3/10. Avoid it unless you are a Ferrell fan

Torres_gay_mullet

Instant Karma said:

Plot Will Ferrell is a Nascar champ with his best buddy as his number two driver / wingman. Sacha Baron Cohen, the F1 champ turns up in Nascar and the story is about how Ferrell gets the better off him.

You nuts its funny as feck. Yes not particulary high brow humour but funny none the less.

I liked it alot.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
BOWFINGER: with Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy.

this is about a very low budget movie director in LA (Steve Martin) and how he gets a big shot actor with some mental issues (Eddie Murphy) to act in his new film, without him even knowing it. I especially liked the part when he rounds up his crew in the Californian desert.
7/10.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Instant Karma said:

mildly amusing. some good parts but not half as good as Anchorman. 4/10 for me.

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
DUEL

Plot
some guy gets chased by a truck across an american highway. Thats it!! doesnt sound like much, but trust me, this is one of those movies you stick on, sit back and enjoy.

Rating
9.5/10

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
IRREVERSIBLE

Plot
Unfolding in reverse chronological order, a man teams up with a friend to seek revenge on the rapist who attacked his girlfriend. Very very graphic, including the rape scene which lasts 10minutes, not a movie for all, but a good watch nonetheless.

Rating
7.5/10

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Spoony said:
I got Memento first time round. I thought it was excellent.
I suspect that falling asleep for about 20 minutes in the middle didn't aid my comprehension the first time around.

reelworld

utdalltheway said:

this is about a very low budget movie director in LA (Steve Martin) and how he gets a big shot actor with some mental issues (Eddie Murphy) to act in his new film, without him even knowing it. I especially liked the part when he rounds up his crew in the Californian desert.
7/10.
My favorite part is when Heather Graham sleeps with just about everyone on the crew to get bigger part in the movie :lol:

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
utdalltheway said:

7/10.
I thought it had massive potential but it descended into farce after a while.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
poisson said:
DUEL

Plot
some guy gets chased by a truck across an american highway. Thats it!! doesnt sound like much, but trust me, this is one of those movies you stick on, sit back and enjoy.

Rating
9.5/10
Ahh Spielbergs directorial debut, and a classic, really good film.

Oh and Melbourne Red ~

What were those Vegetarian gimps up to?

Can't remember what they were called, but because there was no meat and vegetables were being used as currency they were revolutionaries or vegetable terrorists, but their specific policies are evading my memory. Can't remember the specific reason they went to that appartment building either, like whether they went to stop the butcher guy or what, but they ended up helping the clown and the daughter. I know I've been a great help with my amazing memory, no need to thank me :D

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
poisson said:
DUEL

Plot

Rating
9.5/10
I watched that in a secondary school media class. I remember being slightly bored at the time, but looking back it was brilliantly made.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Spammy said:
Can't remember what they were called, but because there was no meat and vegetables were being used as currency they were revolutionaries or vegetable terrorists, but their specific policies are evading my memory. Can't remember the specific reason they went to that appartment building either, like whether they went to stop the butcher guy or what, but they ended up helping the clown and the daughter. I know I've been a great help with my amazing memory, no need to thank me :D
Heh, yes mate. That was the extent of my understanding.

Plechazunga

Duel is a class film

Zoolander
Dodgeball
Anchorman
About 5 others of this ilk

Ben Stiller, Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson and others team up with some of the laziest, most complacent screenwriters on the planet to create about 8 films which should be brilliant, but in fact are formulaic, largely unfunny, and shit.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I actually thought Anchorman was better than the others of those I've seen, upon watching it again

But yeah, and Vince Vaughn is especially irritating

ciderman9000000

THE LAST VALLEY [1971]

Plot - When a band of viscious German mercenaries led by Micheal Caine stumble upon an idyllic valley of farmers and peasants hidden away from the waring nations in Europe during the 30 years war, it is up to wandering teacher Omar Sharif to mediate between the soldiers, who decide to stay for the winter, and the villagers. The Last Valley is a brutal tale of politics and religion set 400 years ago but still relevent today.

Rating - Not many will have heard of this film but it's well worth watching, classic Caine, 9/10

Plechazunga

noodlehair said:
I actually thought Anchorman was better than the others of those I've seen, upon watching it again
Agreed...Anchorman is nearly not shit

They all have one brilliant moment...

Zoolander: "what is this, a day-care centre for ants?"

Dodgeball: "If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball"

Anchorman: the inter-news-teams fight

Anchorman had a couple more. Unfortunately, they're always surrounded by lines you can predict 20 seconds before they come, lots of mugging that's meant to be funny in a "goofball" way, and paper-thin characters

Cnuts

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Melbourne Red said:
I thought it had massive potential but it descended into farce after a while.
cmon now, you know Steve Martins films. remember LA Story? that was never going to be good but still had its moments. 4/10.

Roxanne: again had some funny moments but overall is fantasy land. 5/10.
Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Steve Martin is trying to get home to his wife and kids in Chicago for Thanksgiving but finds that all flights are cancelled due to bad weather. Meets up with John Candy and together they try to get there by road & rail. 8/10.

Spoony

The People's President
utdalltheway said:
Planes, Trains & Automobiles: Steve Martin is trying to get home to his wife and kids in Chicago for Thanksgiving but finds that all flights are cancelled due to bad weather. Meets up with John Candy and together they try to get there by road & rail. 8/10.

I watched that film again after a few years. Still love it.

Those aren't pillows!

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I'll add it to the list.

I reckon Steve Martin is class, even if many of his movies are slightly rubbish.

Sgt.Bilko was a bit of a highlight.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

ORIGINAL VERSION

PLOT
Bond comes out of retirement to put an end to Smersh. To protect his identity, every agent is called 007. Humor is supposed to ensue.

RATING
I love spy spoofs. I love Bond films. I don't love when they're put together. A few good parts in a rather underwhelming film. 4.5/10

Dresilved

poisson said:
DUEL

Plot

Rating
9.5/10
Possibly Spielbergs best movie ever

Dresilved

Unmissable Classics

"The third Man" potentially the most beautifully shot movie I've ever seen
"Double indemnity"
"Citizen Kane"
"Diabolique" (french subtitles)
"Mr Smith goes to Washington"

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
EspadaYdaga said:

excellent documentary....

uplifting family drama

good to eat pot noodles while watching

10/10
Isn't this the one where they eat live monkey brains? Whilst perhaps titilating for you, Espada, to see a monkey in bondage, I'd think you'd be in tears to see such a waste of fine monkey ass.

Or was that Faces of Death II?

phunky

Needs to change his underwear

The Holiday
plot: two women who wanted to get over their failed relationships suddenly decided to swap homes and lives for two weeks. so workaholic city-dweller Amanda (Cameron Diaz), who couldn't give a rat's arse about love nor had any time for sex, went over to the snow-covered countryside just off London in England; whereas wedding columnist Iris (Kate Winslet), who wanted love outta a man who was marrying another woman, tried to seek solace in sunny balmy California.

in an "unexpected turn of events", they encountered men who would later change their views on love. Miles (Jack Black) demonstrated that nice and decent men do not actually end up last - if they find the right lady. of course, it helped that he was funny, engaging, and he knowed how to play music. Jude Law played this yummy delicious (i mean this in a totally non-gay manner) widowed dad, Graham, with doey eyes who had a tendency to weep every 13mins or about. it made him look so vulnerable, his playboy demeanour notwithstanding (his role in Alfie still stuck in mind). you'd probably wanna punch him if he were your mate - he would snag all the hot babes in town whilst you go home and touch yourself.

in a way, the movie does lend weight to the saying that women who say that they prefer a warm sense of humour over good looks in a man are the ones dating a minge.

this movie is a romantic comedy, with many moments that we recognise either from other romantic comedies or our personal experiences. you either find it funny because it brought back memories of the stupid things that you once did when you thought you were soooo in 'love', or you would shed a tear or two if it struck a chord somewhere in your once-broken heart. a good move to catch if you're on a date - it gives you something to talk about at the end of it all.

lesson learnt: the best trips are the ones where excess baggage is left behind.

rating: 7.53749/10