Film The Redcafe Movie review thread

Idxomer

Anyone into Australian films here? Always found the setting a bit meh, but recently rewatched the old Mad Max movies and now I can't get enough of it.

Went on to watch The Quiet Earth (1985) and Gallipoli (1981). Really enjoyed Gallipoli, wholesome but heartbreaking film.
Picnic at Hanging Rock, Wake in Fright, Walkabout and The Rover are some of the films that make great use of the setting, all are very atmospheric.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Anyone into Australian films here? Always found the setting a bit meh, but recently rewatched the old Mad Max movies and now I can't get enough of it.

Went on to watch The Quiet Earth (1985) and Gallipoli (1981). Really enjoyed Gallipoli, wholesome but heartbreaking film.
Oh, I loved The Quiet Earth. Surprised someone here watched it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
River of the Tomb

Korean realist Gangster shit. Been a while since I see a good gangster movies, and the Korean really pulled no punch.

If you like gruesome knife fight with lots of stabs and stabs (no slash) this is for you. The story is predictable as with most gangster movie, but overall a very enjoyable movie if you like old school Gangster Movie
Thanks for posting this. I hadn't heard of it before but after reading this rec, I watched it and thought it was very enjoyable. Definitely some predictable plot points but overall it was a really solid movie. Also, I think the translation is actually " Tomb of the River "

Oh, I loved The Quiet Earth. Surprised someone here watched it.
Yeah, it was very nice. Sometimes I'm just drawn in by the poster and title and watch things without any more research. It's a bit hit and miss, but this was definitely a hit.

Picnic at Hanging Rock, Wake in Fright, Walkabout and The Rover are some of the films that make great use of the setting, all are very atmospheric.
They all look great, thanks!

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I would recommend it if you're interested in the works of Cronenberg, Lynch, Philip Ridley or Trier. They produce a very niche film for a specific audience so naturally you may need to give the film time and abit of patience.
And without ruining the experience there's some lovely titbits of information that gives you a great sense of the films world and, similar to Lynch, the film only takes itself seriously just enough before someone could accuse of of being overly pretentious. There's a lingering sense of humour hovering over each act/scene.

Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe

This is everything I expected from the two horney little dipshits. They're strangely charming in their ignorance and dumb foolery. The writing from Judge and Morton is typically on point with the characters. Nothing has been lost in these years. They're still on the sharp end of satire.
The film itself has a rather silly narrative involving accidental Interstellar travel and shady bureaucratic individuals. Similar to Beavis and Butt-Head Do America, the two individuals are taken far more seriously by the films main antagonists than they really should and, in doing so, all kinds of mis-haps and disaster ensues.

I was crying with laughter during the College Lecture White privilege scene

Marvellous stuff.
I didn't know about the movie but watched it last night thanks to your post. Was great fun!

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Samurai Cop

Somehow I missed this movie when it first came out, presumably because I was four years old.

But there's a certain, as @FrankDrebin would say, joie de vivre about this movie. A je ne sais quoi, or even a bibliothèque cochon. It impales you from behind with its long and thick story, passing through your passages and hitting you deep. It cuddles you, kisses you, before laying thick with its contents onto your chin, and slipping away in the night back to the bridge where you first found it.

Only a handful of movies can really be classified as "cinema". An old man who looks like the bastard child of a wet sock and a melted welly once said that, and I fully believe him. Samurai Cop isn't your flashy, airtight MCU fare like the ones @Cheimoon loves or those shit films by that old man who does nothing but gangster flicks. It doesn't rely on a big budget to tell it's story, merely real people with real problems. It is the truest essence of film in every way, and I suggest you seek it out.

10/10

Trailer below...

If you liked that may I recommend Fatal Deviation. Also there is a Samurai Cop 2 that co stars Tommy Wiseau.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Recommend another Robert Z'Dar film in Maniac cop, also starring Raimi and Evil Dead favourite Bruce Campbell.
Entertaining slasher horror schlock.

Sweet Square

Yup that covers it quite well. I should watch it again, haven't seen it in about 20 years
Its on YouTube in pretty decent quality.
Great film.
It's so good. I saw it at a late showing in a small cinema in Greenwich Villlage a couple of months ago, it was my first time seeing it, and it kinda fecked with my head but I really enjoyed it.
Must have been quite a experience, there really isn’t anything like seeing Lynch film for the first time.

I love the film aesthetics. It feels like the whole movie is set inside the ripped off eat full of ants from Blue Velvet.

From the soundtrack of more the ‘’traditional rock’’ of Louie Reed and Bowie to literally Trent Razor heavy breathing a industrial track, there’s a real dirty feel with moments of beauty to Lost Highway that really hooked me.

Robert Blake is terrifying. The phone scene at the party is the up there with Lynch most creepiest moments(Imo Fire Walk With Me is one of the greatest horror films of all time).

Also such a brilliant opening and closing titles.

I didn't even mean if that way! :lol: Just teasing that @Sweet Square knows a lot about Marvel films for someone who really hated them. :D Plus I'm sure he could say something appropriately scathing about the layered messaging of Avengers.
:lol:

No offensive taken. Tbh I’m hoping reviewing movies that you haven’t seen it becomes a more of a thing.

Such a powerful film, and some of the themes, notably the Foogees plot, seems a little too close to reality considering what's going on in the UK these days.

Wonderful, wonderful film, one of the true gems of the genre, and probably one of my top 5 films of the 21st century.
Yep it’s still today my favourite film. Really do find something new every time I watch it, perfectly distills the world we are currently living in.

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout

Top 5:
Taste
Red Moon Tide
Myth of The American Sleepover
Boatman
Oh Sun
Chess of the Wind
Good Manners
The Demons of Dorothy
Bad Lucky Goat

I have zero complaints.

What've you got?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
@dumbo Why didn't you like The Terrorizers?
3 stars is alright. Though it's true that Edward Yang has never much moved me, A Brighter Summer Day apart. I find his films sometimes meandering and humourless, in contrast to the likes of say a Tsai Ming Liang, who can apply a drollness to that Taiwanese realism.

Why do you only watch East Asian films and Mario?

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
3 stars is alright. Though it's true that Edward Yang has never much moved me, A Brighter Summer Day apart. I find his films sometimes meandering and humourless, in contrast to the likes of say a Tsai Ming Liang, who can apply a drollness to that Taiwanese realism.

Why do you only watch East Asian films and Mario?

Yeah I get what you mean. Yang's films tend to be on the heavy side whereas Ming-liang's are easier to enjoy.

I tend to watch Asian movies at home as I find them relaxing, though will occasionally watch 90s and 00s Blockbusters on Prime if the mood takes me. My brain clearly wasn't working yesterday as I do watch other types of movie at the cinema. Most recently Lamb and Bergman's Island, which I must have forgotten to log.

Let me know if you see something on MUBI that you recommend. I find the choice a bit overwhelming and never know where to start.

Agree about Mario Brothers/Brazil comparison. It's extremely dystopian and weird, in a good way.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Last Night in Soho

Anyone seen it? Any good?

It’s on Sky and considering watching
It's a cool film, the last third doesn't hold up as well as the rest of the film, but there's a super exhilarating core part in it, the editing is great and the acting is very good too. Great soundtrack to boot. This is what @Dirty Schwein and myself said about it, and these are the only opinions you should care about:
Last Night In Soho
Ignore the giant plot holes and this is a fantastic film. Looked spectacular and stylish, paced really well (which is expected from and Edgar Wright film) and a banging score. I thought the lead actress needed to speak a bit louder. The only downside is the script. Too many plot holes and a bit lazy here and there, but that didn't spoil the visual treat 7.5/10
I felt like the last third of it was a little bit meh, or more exactly a bit too predictable, but not enough to spoil everything that came before. And the beginning of the film is banging, it's so much fun and the first sequence when she goes into the past is exhilarating from start to finish with some wonderful filming technique. I don't know how involved Edgar Wright is with the editing of his films, I'd imagine quite a bit, because they're usually flawless in this regard, and this one is no different. Awesome score, some great performances (Anya Taylor Joy, Matt Smith, Diana Rigg are all fantastic, with the main actress being fine though not quite on par with the others, I felt), and overall some really exciting moments throughout the film make it a really, really fun watch. Also loved the closing credits.
Pretty much agree with all of that. I thought that the more horror they introduced, the worse it got but as you say, everything beforehand was superb.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's a cool film, the last third doesn't hold up as well as the rest of the film, but there's a super exhilarating core part in it, the editing is great and the acting is very good too. Great soundtrack to boot. This is what @Dirty Schwein and myself said about it, and these are the only opinions you should care about:
Thanks!

I’m none the wiser what it’s actually about to be honest and the write ups give very little sway on IMdB.

Going to watch it this weekend so I’ll report back.

Still searching for Miami Vice too @Sweet Square

Must be on somewhere at the moment!

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Thanks!

I’m none the wiser what it’s actually about to be honest and the write ups give very little sway on IMdB.

Going to watch it this weekend so I’ll report back.

Still searching for Miami Vice too @Sweet Square

Must be on somewhere at the moment!
It's definitely worth watching. Most Edgar Wright films are.

The New World - Terrence Malick (2005)
I saw this around the time it came out, and 15 year old me was outraged it wasn't cool as Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven etc. I've been curious about it the last few years, and upon rewatching it I am not exactly surprised that I was much too stupid to appreciate it at the time. I am not even sure how to describe it - there is a massive attention to historical authenticity and detail and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. The dialogue is sparse, and the stream of consciousness narration is straight up odd at places, but it's quite unique in that it highlights the fickle nature of consciousness of human beings at a crossroads in history. It's quite refreshing since these type of historical epics tend to focus more on the grand narrative, whereas this one refuses to do that.

Would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this type of uncompromising historical film, like Aguirre and so on.

8/10

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The New World - Terrence Malick (2005)
I saw this around the time it came out, and 15 year old me was outraged it wasn't cool as Gladiator, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven etc. I've been curious about it the last few years, and upon rewatching it I am not exactly surprised that I was much too stupid to appreciate it at the time. I am not even sure how to describe it - there is a massive attention to historical authenticity and detail and the cinematography is absolutely gorgeous. The dialogue is sparse, and the stream of consciousness narration is straight up odd at places, but it's quite unique in that it highlights the fickle nature of consciousness of human beings at a crossroads in history. It's quite refreshing since these type of historical epics tend to focus more on the grand narrative, whereas this one refuses to do that.

Would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this type of uncompromising historical film, like Aguirre and so on.

8/10
One of Malick's most accessible films for those who want to discover his filmography, and a gem of a film.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Yeah I get what you mean. Yang's films tend to be on the heavy side whereas Ming-liang's are easier to enjoy.

I tend to watch Asian movies at home as I find them relaxing, though will occasionally watch 90s and 00s Blockbusters on Prime if the mood takes me. My brain clearly wasn't working yesterday as I do watch other types of movie at the cinema. Most recently Lamb and Bergman's Island, which I must have forgotten to log.

Let me know if you see something on MUBI that you recommend. I find the choice a bit overwhelming and never know where to start.

Agree about Mario Brothers/Brazil comparison. It's extremely dystopian and weird, in a good way.
Start with the 5 stars, they were all brilliant. The latest Verhoeven just went up. Bergman Island is coming soon and I intend to watch it.

I don't love everything mubi put up but everything has been interesting, bar a couple of real dogs. It's practically the only way I can watch films now without feeling like my brain is rotting. The decline in quality of the general release studio stuff, and the speed at which it has happened is genuinely shocking. I'm not even including the easy Marvel type targets. Mubi's curation is impeccable, they could have easily fecked it up if they tried to be too hip and trendy with it but they seem to want to shine light on as wide a range of high quality, original cinema as they can within their at times limited reach.

Sweet Square

Sylar

Rise of gru is great if you like the minions stuff

If ya don't then you won't like it obviously. Im a sucker for light hearted fun like this. The first minions movie was ok but needed a humany character. This one had Gru as a kid so worked well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rise of gru is great if you like the minions stuff

If ya don't then you won't like it obviously. Im a sucker for light hearted fun like this. The first minions movie was ok but needed a humany character. This one had Gru as a kid so worked well.
I bet you spend half your life on MumsNet

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this thread also for documentaries? I watched The Long Road to War, about the causes of WW1.

Great doc. There were some things I didn't know about like the Kiel Canal's importance, Moroccan Crisis and the fact that a substantial part of Austria-Hungary's population were Slavs, hence the tension with Serbia. Also Germany's desire to represent Russia as the aggressor.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I loved kids movies when my son was young and some of them were very good. However, I haven't watched one in years now and likely won't again.
Somehow I've gotten really turned off animated movies. It's not really the same thing, as not all animated movies are for kids, but I think it's due to my kids mostly watching animated movies and me making the connection there somehow. Anyway, I now just cannot motivate myself to watch anything that's animated if I get the choice - but in the past, I used to love stuff like Pixar movies.

reelworld

Sing Street (2016)

Saw it available on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. I read about this and the review mention that it's a musical, a genre that I don't really like, so I gave it a pass. How wrong I was. This is an absolutely brilliant feel good movie. Great performances with some really good songs. I can't stop smiling and tear up a bit at the end when Jack Raynor character did fist pumps after seeing his brother went on to London for a chance at a better life, something that he never had the chance to do.