Television The Rehearsal (HBO, Nathan Fielder)

HookedOnAPhelan

Any Nathan For You fans in here? I think it's easily the funniest show ever made, as well as being one of the most fascinating, original, and downright insane shows I've ever seen.

Anyway, Nathan Fielder is releasing a new show on HBO these days, The Rehearsal. First episode was released on Friday. It's gotten rave reviews from critics, 96% and 9.3/10 on Rotten Tomatoes.

Just watched the first episode. It's definitely fascinating (and completely insane :lol:), even if it didn't make me laugh as much as just about every episode of Nathan For You did.

HookedOnAPhelan

And for those who are unfamilar with Nathan Fielder or Nathan For You, here are a few examples (these are real people by the way, not actors):

Last edited:

Zen

Dudes a legend. I'll get round to this....

parkthebuslads

Quite enjoyed it. Still find it bizarre how many people still insist his shows are anything other than scripted fiction.

Ibi Dreams

Quite enjoyed it. Still find it bizarre how many people still insist his shows are anything other than scripted fiction.
They're absolutely not completely scripted. The narratives are often constructed around what happens in non-scripted events, with a lot of editing. Not exactly real but not entirely fake either

kps88

Yeah big fan of Nathan For You. Thought the first episode of The Rehearsal was solid; a few reviews I read said it gets better as it goes on.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah I’m looking forward to it. Love Nathan for You and How To with John Wilson.

HookedOnAPhelan

Very little of it is scripted, and it certainly isn’t fiction in the sense that everybody is acting or in on the joke.

«Before we go in, I have a plan of what I’m going to say, and I have a plan for where we wanna go with it. But because we’re dealing with real businesses and real people, it often goes in an unpredictable direction. Which is really fun, but things can go wrong very easily. We definitely don’t prep anyone to what’s going to happen. We just go in and see what happens and hit the tone right.»

«Often in the casting process we’ll encounter business owners that have lots of specific questions about the show and exactly what we’re planning to do with them. Because going into a shoot we don’t want participants knowing any of that or that it’s a comedy show (as this would take away from the acting naturally), we usually end up avoiding these more controlling/protective personality types as the chances they’re going to get very upset by an experience they aren’t prepared for is much higher. And the goal is never to get people upset.»

According to Fielder and the makers of Nathan for You, the only consistently scripted role is Nathan Fielder, and even he also constantly improvises due to the unpredictable nature of the series.

https://the-take.com/read/how-much-of-nathan-for-you-is-real-is-anything-scripted

Unless you want to claim this is all an Andy Kaufman-esque act on Fielder’s part, and though I wouldn’t put it past him I think it’s obvious that the people on the show are not acting or following a script. If they did it would completely undercut the brilliance of the show.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Second episode was quite short. Assuming they'll return to it with Nathan as the dad. The whole child labour law work-around :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The trivia rehearsal walk from the 1st episode was hilarious.

jrsenior

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. The tone changed quite I bit in ep.3, still funny but also more melancholic. I sense some sort of twist coming up

HookedOnAPhelan

Just saw episodes 2 and 3, and yeah, this is brilliant. And batshit crazy. And incredibly funny.

Really does feel very much like Nathan For You though. Not that I'm complaining!

Wittmann45

Just finished the third episode. I have really enjoyed this but it is not what I expected. I am still not sure how I feel about the Angela story arc, but the episodes have been plenty entertaining and intriguing.

It is hard not to compare this with Nathan For You, but what I loved about that series is that regardless of what the business is, the people involved are often unique personalities but overall redeeming. Also, while they often have a certain oddness to their personality/character, they were almost always portrayed in a positive light, regardless of how much of their oddities were the focus or the butt of the joke. Also, I remember with "Nathan for You," when the show became meta, the critique was often on Nathan himself, the character he created, and reality television more generally. With the Rehearsal, some of that is definitely present, ie, where Nathan reads from the script to the actor's parents that is full of fake personalization. But overall, I find the tone of the show much more cynical and it is the other characters, particularly Angela and Robin, that are the focus of the critique. Nathan is now sort of the straight man where previous in Nathan for You his social anxiety/isolation made him the outcast in his own show, even though his social isolation is still a point of commentary/critique here. It wasn't often that he was the normal one in the room.

Bill from the Finding Frances episode arc in Nathan for You was truly an odd character, and there was judgement of his motives, but ultimately his story, and by extension his personality, was portrayed in a relatively positive, if sad, light. While there was plenty of criticism of Bill's motives, there is still an attempt to personalize his story and make the audience feel connected to him. The first episode of the Rehearsal was a lot like the feel of Nathan for You; a pretty unique guy who really is a person you connect too. But the whole tone in the last two episodes has just been different and definitely more melancholy/cynical. For example, I think that if that Robin dude was in Nathan for You, he would have probably been portrayed like the stoner/drunk kid in the souvenir shop episode - the "Shoutout to J-Squad kid" - his numerology shite would have been made fun of, as would his non-use of condoms, but he would have exited the show in a more lighthearted manner.

I wonder if this was sort of the plan all along for the show or whether the Angela person became such an interesting character that they decided to make her story into more than one episode. It seems like they are trying to capture the same sort of magic that came with the series-ending "Finding Frances" episode from Nathan for You.