The relative strength of the Premier League

Paul_Scholes18

I am impressed how well the teams from Portugal do despite always selling all the best players. I am not sure what they do with the money they earn since they rarely buy big star players.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
People finding this argument funny clearly proves that PL is the best league :wenger:
It is the best league, but it doesn't mean that it's the reason why PL clubs don't always perform in the CL. It's a different competition that requires different qualities.

Real Madrid won the CL several times while having a bad la liga season, and also won it while winning their league, but they just know how to play this cup. On the other hand, the almighty City lost against fecking Lyon.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, I'm entirely serious. Never been done and never likely to be done.
People don't get jokes anymore :D

But kidding aside that was a different era. The City Guardiola era needs title winning teams to accumulate a mid to high nineties points total. That leaves very little room for errors and almost every match is like a cup final. Most of the other leagues have title winners in the mid eighties
Evidence disagrees with this though. This period of best PL sides needing monstrous points total has coincided with PL dominance over the CL, just like how Madrid and Barcelona dominated back when they had to break 90 points to win the league. In general, a strong league and the need to keep high concentration and fitness levels because of it seems to translate to better CL results as well.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I am impressed how well the teams from Portugal do despite always selling all the best players. I am not sure what they do with the money they earn since they rarely buy big star players.
Having lots of money is a huge advantage and the Premier League is the best league currently but sometimes the gap gets exaggerated. If a pl team cost as twice, or more, than other team from europe it doesn't necesairly translate to that team been twice as better. The other leagues keep producing good players and despite the economical advantage of premier league teams you there are only 11 spots per team so you can't concentrate all the talent in the few top sides in England.

Sometimes with having those big investments in the squad there is some urge for inmediate results which han handicap a team when it comes to building a functional side. Lastly it is almost a rule that pl teams will overpay for their players and will have inflated prices and salaries. Anyway despite all this the teams from portugal will keep getting dismantled so they have no choice to keep producing and scouting for talents.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
PL is the best league, but their quality it's highly overrated because of the so called 'financial gap' with other leagues.

Having more expensive players doesn't mean that such players are better.
Many PL teams overpay for average players that would be cheaper if they were still playing in France, Portugal, Spain, Germany, etc

Arsenal (best PL team this season until now) getting eliminated by a portuguese team who is 15 points behind Benfica in the Portugal speaks volumes.

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes, I'm entirely serious. Never been done and never likely to be done.

But kidding aside that was a different era. The City Guardiola era needs title winning teams to accumulate a mid to high nineties points total. That leaves very little room for errors and almost every match is like a cup final. Most of the other leagues have title winners in the mid eighties.

Even the '99 utd team won the title with 79 points, something that's never happened since.
2008 United literally won the league title on the last day.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
2008 United literally won the league title on the last day.
The Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez team? That was a freak team and reinforces my point rather than refuting it. Unless you have a once in a generation agglomeration of talents its not possible to win the PL and CL together. Of the current lot, only City seem capable of doing it and they'll probably need Haaland to not go invisible in tougher games to achieve that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez team? That was a freak team and reinforces my point rather than refuting it. Unless you have a once in a generation agglomeration of talents its not possible to win the PL and CL together. Of the current lot, only City seem capable of doing it and they'll probably need Haaland to not go invisible in tougher games to achieve that.
Liverpool were couple of kicks away from winning both PL and CL. Lost CL finals and PL on the last day. In 2018-19, they lost title on the last day and won CL.

City won the league and lost finals in CL.

You don't need freak season or all time great team to win both. City and Liverpool were so close to do that 3 times in last 3-4 seasons.

Remember the geese

Feels odd that there has been very little said about the possibility of City winning the treble. Usually from Christmas onwards you begin to hear murmurings of trebles and quadruples. Not a peep this time around.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Liverpool were couple of kicks away from winning both PL and CL. Lost CL finals and PL on the last day. In 2018-19, they lost title on the last day and won CL.

City won the league and lost finals in CL.

You don't need freak season or all time great team to win both. City and Liverpool were so close to do that 3 times in last 3-4 seasons.
Those City and Liverpool sides were all time great teams though

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think there's much of a relationship between the league you compete in and your CL performance. Individual clubs have different relationships to the competition.

For example, Real Madrid have won multiple CLs without winning the league title; in fact they rarely do a league/CL double. On the other hand, Barcelona only do league/CL doubles. You could use each club's track record to make completely different arguments about La Liga's competitivity.

A similar dynamic exists in the PL between Liverpool (who've reached 5 finals in the 21st century, both in good and bad periods) and Manchester United (who reached 3 while completely dominating the PL from the early 90s to the early 10s).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez team? That was a freak team and reinforces my point rather than refuting it. Unless you have a once in a generation agglomeration of talents its not possible to win the PL and CL together.
The PL is so hard to win right now because you have to beat a freak team(s) to do it. You are mistaking causation for correlation

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
The PL is so hard to win right now because you have to beat a freak team(s) to do it. You are mistaking causation for correlation
Thats what I'm saying though. The bar to win the PL is much higher than the other leagues because of the depth that City has built. And if they have a poor season once in every 5 years, there's some other team that'll breach 90. It used to be Liverpool till now, but all of Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are capable of having a 90+ point seasons. Newcastle might join that list soon.
I mean, people are expecting Arsenal to play their first team in the Europa League when they have only a 5 point lead with City away still to play - so effectively a 2 point lead.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
ancelotti is an everton level manager, emery an aston villa one

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Thats what I'm saying though. The bar to win the PL is much higher than the other leagues because of the depth that City has built.
You are conflating two very different things into a single one:
  • Competing to win the Premier League against a team that gets a lot of points.
  • Competing to perform well in the Premier League against many teams that are good.
City won the 17/18 title by 19 points, Liverpool won the 19/20 title by 18 points, and City won the 20/21 title by 12 points. The title race would not have been relevant to the CL performances of the clubs because there wasn't a title race.

Last edited:

Hammondo

Worrying how the number of English players being played is falling. We really don't produce many good players as a country.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thats what I'm saying though. The bar to win the PL is much higher than the other leagues because of the depth that City has built. And if they have a poor season once in every 5 years, there's some other team that'll breach 90. It used to be Liverpool till now, but all of Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are capable of having a 90+ point seasons. Newcastle might join that list soon.
I mean, people are expecting Arsenal to play their first team in the Europa League when they have only a 5 point lead with City away still to play - so effectively a 2 point lead.
Yeah, but City reached a CL final and Liverpool made 2 while accruing 97 and 93 points in the PL, losing both by 1 point. Essentially it's actually a freak occurrence that there hasn't been a PL/CL double winner over the last 5 years than the other way around. From '11 to '17 there were 3 CL/LaLiga doubles, all with title races won above 90 points. Simply put City have underperformed in CL, but it's not because of the PL

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
What you said is that you don't need to be a freak team, then gave examples of teams that didn't even win both.
The conversation was how team can't compete in CL if they have to in PL and viceversa, when 2 teams were so close to completing double 3 times in 4-5 seasons. So PL teams can't compete in CL because of how hard it is to win CL is just nonsense. City and Liverpool were just one kick away from doing it 3 times.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Those City and Liverpool sides were all time great teams though
How can Liverpool count as an all time great team when they've only won 1 league and 1 Euro cup over a 5-6 year period?

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The conversation was how team can't compete in CL if they have to in PL and viceversa, when 2 teams were so close to completing double 3 times in 4-5 seasons. So PL teams can't compete in CL because of how hard it is to win CL is just nonsense. City and Liverpool were just one kick away from doing it 3 times.
But that is the point, one game or not, they didn't win it. Your point is literally invalid, because neither won it the same year as winning the league.

KeanoMagicHat

How can Liverpool count as an all time great team when they've only won 1 league and 1 Euro cup over a 5-6 year period?
They also won two domestic cups, got to 2 other CL finals, got 99 points when they won the league and 90+ points the other two seasons. No need to have the United glasses on all the time, they were a great team. At one point they won 26 out of 27 league games, we were the only team to take a point off them for 6 whole months. I guess that’s ordinary.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They also won two domestic cups, got to 2 other CL finals, got 99 points when they won the league and 90+ points the other two seasons. No need to have the United glasses on all the time, they were a great team. At one point they won 26 out of 27 league games, we were the only team to take a point off them for 6 whole months. I guess that’s ordinary.
They were a really good team for sure. It's the "all time" bit I'm querying.
They weren't even the best of their own few years lifecycle.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Sacchi‘s Milan are widely regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time. They barely won more than this Liverpool team.

KeanoMagicHat

Depends what way you look at it. City were better in the league, but 1 CL final + no wins vs 1 CL win + 2 CL in Europe for Liverpool.

Worth mentioning Real Madrid only won one La Liga between 2012 and 2020. In 2018 for example when they won the CL, they weren’t even 2nd in their league, they were 17 points behind Barca. They weren’t even the best team in their own country by that logic.

Siorac

but all of Chelsea, Arsenal and Utd are capable of having a 90+ point seasons.
Those teams had 90+ point seasons in 2017, 2004, and 2009, respectively. Arsenal might break the barrier this season but there's absolutely nothing indicating that the other two are capable of it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Only Arsenal have proven that this season. For Chelsea, United and Newcastle, it remains to be see whether they can still muster that level of ruthlessness.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Worrying how the number of English players being played is falling. We really don't produce many good players as a country.
There is literally an exceptional number of young English talents. Probably more so than any other country in the world bar maybe one or two.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Leicster city and a surprising decade plus Arsenal make this league more interesting to watch. Already United are looking as the come back team for next season after not being a title favourite for ages.
As a gambler, the odds or likelihood of the winners of the other leagues are too simplistic for my interest.
The top 2 teams have been city, tottenham, united, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, leicster. In the future we may get top 4 entrees of Newcastled or even Brighton. The league is just always chopping & turning and its just more interesting to watch. The financial ability of clubs, the quality of scouting in leicsters kante/mahrez season or brightons mitoma/caceido season, the return of Arsenal after working from the bottom with players like saliba, partey & pl winners like zinchenko & gabriel jesus, its just the most interesting to watch

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
Who are you counting in that list?
To be fair, England could play put out a front six of:

Foden Rashford Saka
Mount Rice Bellingham

Aged 19 - 25. All of those would attract interest from top clubs if they became available.

Not as strong as France or Brazil, but our youngsters give most nations a run for their money.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Those teams had 90+ point seasons in 2017, 2004, and 2009, respectively. Arsenal might break the barrier this season but there's absolutely nothing indicating that the other two are capable of it.
Chelsea are outspending City, so they can definitely do it. Utd and Newcastle also have the finances. Arsenal and Liverpool are likely to fall off, but both of them are well managed, so they should be there or thereabouts.
The point is that there's very less chance of any team half assing it to the League title in the PL.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

Foden Rashford Saka
Mount Rice Bellingham

Aged 19 - 25. All of those would attract interest from top clubs if they became available.

Not as strong as France or Brazil, but our youngsters give most nations a run for their money.
In fact, you can make a semi-decent under 25 XI (though you'd have to sneak Chilwell in at 26)

Foden(22) Rashford(25) Saka(21)
Mount(24) Rice(24) Bellingham(19)
Chillwell(26) Guehi(22) White(25) James(23)
Ramsdale(24)

It's pragmatic selection that keeps are young players out (though this has seen us get the closest to tournament success for half a century - so it's understandable).

Hammondo

Foden Rashford Saka
Mount Rice Bellingham

I do not rate them as highly as you do, some of them are really not stand out imo.