The Resurgence Of Shaw

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Looks like a new player and more like the player he was at Southampton. Defending for all it’s worth and marauding runs down the left.
If AWB can now match the attacking, we’d have greater balance

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Looks like a new player and more like the player he was at Southampton. Defending for all it’s worth and marauding runs down the left.
To be fair to Shaw, I think he’s always been a lot better than a lot of people on here give him credit for. I’ve always rated him and haven’t really ever seen the LB position as a problem area when he’s been fit, only when we don’t have great cover for Shaw when he’s injured.

I think AWB not being a great attacker is part of the reason Shaw has been so good lately. We've settled in to a system and Shaw is usually positioned further up and allows us to form a back three/drop a midfielder in to his side when he goes forward.

arnie_ni

He was player of the season not so long ago. I'm not sure resurgence is the word, that would indicate he was quite shit until recently which wasn't the case.

I'm a big fan and always have been.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
His biggest problem was staying fit and needing a few games to catch up to match fitness before he starts playing well again.

It's nice that he's been able to stay healthy and start showing his value to the team.

Inigo Montoya

To be fair to Shaw, I think he’s always been a lot better than a lot of people on here give him credit for. I’ve always rated him and haven’t really ever seen the LB position as a problem area when he’s been fit, only when we don’t have great cover for Shaw when he’s injured.
I agree but to me it looks more psychological than physical. He doesn’t look leaner in anyway but his determination to run down the wing now is quite something. Giving us a great outlet

Wonder what’s changed? Can it be something as life affirming as becoming a dad?

romufc

Exactly. I don't get why people think there is a resurgence in form, he came back last season in Jan from injury and was fantastic, we started dropping points after he got injured v Southampton.

He was player of season couple years ago.

Its just fans who didnt rate him, called him fat, unfit etc who now realise how important he is.

He is still the same size he was a year ago, nothing changed apart from the fact he has stayed fit for a longer period.

RUCK4444

I’ve always backed Shaw on here and said he’s far better than he’s given credit for on the caf.

Before his leg break he was our most in form player at that time and was great going forward in that period (hence his position for the injury.)

He is our most composed defender across the whole back line, very cool and collected on the ball and covers very well for Maguires lack of pace at times.

He made an incredible block yesterday after tracking a runner that would have been a certain goal, he somehow hooked it back out off his heel iirc.

Mourinho treated him like a 12 year old academy player, he’s done well to come back from that period under Mourinho’s soul crushing miss management.

Zen86

I really like Shaw, but we’ve certainly been here before with him. He’s had a habit of picking up injuries when he’s coming into good form, meaning his career with us has been very stop-start.

That said, I think he’s flourishing a bit more under Ole and the way we’re attacking down the left. He’s become somewhat of a key piece down that wing.

Volumiza

I agree but to me it looks more psychological than physical. He doesn’t look leaner in anyway but his determination to run down the wing now is quite something. Giving us a great outlet

Wonder what’s changed? Can it be something as life affirming as becoming a dad?
I don’t know obviously but Shaw is no different to any other player in that he’ll have patches where he’s performing better. For me, more importantly, his base level is very solid all the time but when he’s really on form it’s very high.

Inigo Montoya

I don’t know obviously but Shaw is no different to any other player in that he’ll have patches where he’s performing better. For me, more importantly, his base level is very solid all the time but when he’s really on form it’s very high.
Looks more an international player now than the current England LB

always_hoping

Shaw had a good season last year but seems more talked up now? His loss proved key in the Europa league semi final.

Volumiza

Mourinho treated him like a 12 year old academy player, he’s done well to come back from that period under Mourinho’s soul crushing miss management.
Yeah, whatever Jose was trying to achieve there is a mystery, it certainly didn’t help Luke. Awful man management, that was apparent.

romufc

Yeah, whatever Jose was trying to achieve there is a mystery, it certainly didn’t help Luke. Awful man management, that was apparent.
Unless you 100% believe in Jose and ready to go down for him, he is a very poor man manager.

He falls out with players at every club he goes to.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's certainly our most talented defender — and probably the best overall. Not quite the best in anything, but very solid in pretty much every aspect of fullback's game. I'd like for him to improve his crossing a little bit, but it will come — at this point he's a bit like Evra, who was better at short interplay/general passing & dribbling rather than at more "traditional" wing play. Our strikers has to step up too though, it's nice to have a genuine aerial threat in the box now with Cavani.

HackeyC

It's difficult to call it a patch of form, he's done it for quite some time now. His fitness levels are through the roof, he has great pace, is strong and his dead ball delivery is also really good, with lots of pace and accuracy on his crosses. At the minute there are only a few LBs I would have over him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s playing really well.

However he done my nut in last night stopping his runs going forward - Martial and him were off with their communication quite a bit yesterday.

Andersons Dietician

It is weird that so much emphasis is being put on shutting down Salah at the weekend. It’s not the first time he has done that. He’s shut down some of the best players in the league from Mahrez, Silva, Traore and others and one time even had Messi pocketed.

However I guess now it fits in with the narrative that he’s had some sort of resurgence. I think now currently he does things that to me show he’s a lot more confident and commanding than previous seasons but I’ve still I feel seen him play better than this. Hopefully he continues to keep going and maybe at times start taking shots on and maybe even cut inside and use his right foot.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think Shaw should give fans who are now getting on AWB or Greenwood’s backs pause for thought. It’s ok to go through a rough patch as long as the mentality is good and they are still hungry and learning. Players levels fluctuate but at least young players will keep improving if you stick with them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He gets a lot of unfair stick. Every time he stays fit for a prolonged period, he performs.

Zen86

I love the fact Shaw can be a bit of a tw*t as well to be honest. He likes getting under the skin of the opposition.

miked99

I'm delighted with his form and his progress in recent times. Still has a tendency to fall asleep on the near post on occasion, but all defenders make errors occasionally and his overall game is excellent. To my mind this is as well as he's ever played for us.

There's been a massive improvement in his attacking play as well. Suddenly he's learned how to cross a ball and also pick the right pass when in advanced areas.

That's probably down to working with Telles. I read some quotes from Shaw saying what a great relationship they have, how they both try to help one another improve and succeed and support one another no matter who is playing that week. Really nice to read positive stuff like that.

Drainy

Been decent, a lot better than before and comparatively good on the ball compared to AWB, but both are benefitting from how the opposition are setting up to counter our transition by going narrower with their press.

The Urban Goose

It's amazing what can happen to his confidence when he's not being belittled with "he was using my brain" comments.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His first touch and short passing is really really high level. His infield dribbling is very good, and he now looks as fast as he ever did.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's amazing what can happen to his confidence when he's not being belittled with "he was using my brain" comments.
Outrageous comments from Mourinho when he said that initially. Can’t believe a lot here lapped it up too.

Inigo Montoya

However he done my nut in last night stopping his runs going forward - Martial and him were off with their communication quite a bit yesterday.
Says more about Martial IMO

stw2022

He’s been maturing gradually but surely over a long period. Defensively he’s been excellent for a while but stereotyped as fat and lazy so even when putting on good performances many refused to see past that perception

Also this strange way people use assists to judge the effectiveness of full backs these days didn’t help that perception

youngrell

He's matured, for sure. For so long he looked like a kid playing (to be fair, he mostly was) and it never seemed like he would snap out of it and take the next step.

Now he takes responsibility and actually plays like one of our senior players. Hope he can keep fit because when he's fit and confident he's very good.

spiriticon

He's working harder this season imo. Many times in previous years I noticed he takes a lot of time to get back to his LB position after one of his cavalier runs.

This year he's not been caught missing in defence. Not that I can remember. He's there in defence, in the right place, when we need him to be.

Not sure if he's just improved his fitness this year.

Andersons Dietician

I think they had one each where they played the ball in to a great space for the other and they didn’t make the move but they still had loads of great link up and found each other numerous times and their work in the corner drags people over creating space.
I felt there link up overall was good yesterday.

Becks92

And not to miss, his delightful crossing that was lacking previously. It could be the arrival of Telles that has precipitated the response, but it is wonderful to have Shaw dribbling, sliding, and crossing with such certainty.

MalcolmTucker

His passing and composure has always been solid but he's running and crossing a lot more now. Before he would only cross/pull back from the byline but now he's whipping in crosses from the edge of the box.

Inigo Montoya

Outrageous comments from Mourinho when he said that initially. Can’t believe a lot here lapped it up too.
I think it had a negative effect which shows how poor Jose is at psychology. When it goes wrong it’s tantamount to bullying