The Resurgence Of Shaw

The Irish Connection

Love seeing Shaw get praise. To come back from that horrible injury so well is class. His corners have been good too. Would love if he got a few goals.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Technically, he's probably the best LB in the league. His touch, dribbling, close control is superb. Robertson, Chilwell don't come close. Now that he's adding marauding runs, excellent crosses, and by-line pull backs to his game, it's only a matter of time where he'll be one of the best LBs in Europe. He's always been defensively sound.

My only criticism previously of him was he would get sucked infield a bit too much when play was on the opposite flank, but he's really developed his game and adding some intelligence to his abilities as well.

Another success story for Ole!

spiriticon

His passing and composure has always been solid but he's running and crossing a lot more now. Before he would only cross/pull back from the byline but now he's whipping in crosses from the edge of the box.
Agreed on his crossing. His crossing is actually dangerous this year rather than a hitting the first man or a floater to the right corner flag.

It's a damn shame he hasn't got more assists because he deserves it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That Telles signing has been the making of him. For far too long he didn't improve, would be decent but definitely nothing more than average. He's someone of course that also struggled with fitness, so when we had no depth we couldn't rotate him out. His current run of form is brilliant, as we can still rotate him to keep him fresh, and its leading to much better consistency along with massively improved performances just because of the competition. His crossing has improved loads as well.

el3mel

I never even expected him to reach such level back when we signed him under LVG. He has ridiculously exceeded my expectations. Currently looks like a complete full back.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His attacking game has improved so much, I hope our players starts converting the chances. He should have had so many assists this season.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Best player in our squad for ball retention but also excellent at helping us gain ground up the pitch. Suddenly he can cross as well!

TheReligion

Abusive
To be fair to Shaw, I think he’s always been a lot better than a lot of people on here give him credit for. I’ve always rated him and haven’t really ever seen the LB position as a problem area when he’s been fit, only when we don’t have great cover for Shaw when he’s injured.
Good post. He's played like this in the past for us and then been injured and absent. He's also been at the club through a number of different periods of instability and likely been told how to play, and coached, in many different ways. Far from ideal for a young player.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Saw him on an interview recently, and I thought he looked slightly leaner, that was a facial view though, and I've not noticed that his body is actually leaner, but as it's been mentioned, mentality certainly comes into it, confidence, and also having a player pushing hard for your position certainly focusses the mind somewhat.
Wonder whether Ole will rest him on Sunday, as he he plays Salah really well. Salah may not play, depending on Klopps view of the cup, from what I remember, Liverpool have not done well in the FA cup since Klopps arrival.

bsCallout

He seems much more mature in his play. He had the talent and helped us but there was a reason Mourinho dropped him, he was making a lot off errors, especially positionally. He has matured and is a fantastic LB.

Gythio

40% because of natural development with age
30% competition with Telles
15% getting a consistent run of games
15% playing with better players than before

Adamsk7

He was looking this good just before his bad injury. Something like that takes a long time to recover from, physically but even more so mentally. I’m not surprised it’s taken a few seasons as well as having a quality player competing against you. Telles has been worth every penny even if he just keeps Shaw this good (although I do think he’s a good player in his own right).
He’s our most consistent player now, constantly putting in at least 7/10 as a base level. There’s an argument therefore to say he’s actually our best player!

fps

Might I suggest his crossing is better now he has faith a striker might get on the end of one, with the arrival of Cavani?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
The fact his manager isn't publicly trying to destroy him probably helps. He's a great player and he's very important in our attacking build up play.

RUCK4444

Yeah, whatever Jose was trying to achieve there is a mystery, it certainly didn’t help Luke. Awful man management, that was apparent.
Yeah it was peak embarrassingly bad Jose. I remember him on the touchline shouting instructions to Shaw about how to play as a left back.

It was painful and would have been hugely embarrassing for Shaw. Jose always needs somebody he can bully.

Falcow

He has been brillant lately, best LB in the league currently. I always had concerns about his positioning and he still can get caught narrow sometimes but not as often these days it seems. He seems to have a good understanding with Maguire who plays closest to him. His calmness is great to see.

Potentially our player of the year again though if Pogba keeps going the way he is....Obviously Bruno in the mix as well.

Anyway well done Luke and keep up the good work.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
The fact his manager isn't publicly trying to destroy him probably helps.
It was really bad treatment of a young player who’d had a really tough time. It’s like Jose saw him as an easy target to make a terrible example of. I genuinely felt sorry for Luke during that time.

MDFC Manager

Shaw's always been an excellent player. Just that his fitness concerns don't let him get on a consistent run

hubbuh

That Telles signing has been the making of him. For far too long he didn't improve, would be decent but definitely nothing more than average. He's someone of course that also struggled with fitness, so when we had no depth we couldn't rotate him out. His current run of form is brilliant, as we can still rotate him to keep him fresh, and its leading to much better consistency along with massively improved performances just because of the competition. His crossing has improved loads as well.
Agreed. I think a few people are being rather disingenuous by suggesting he's always been performing at this sort of level. Most people knew he had it in him but he's really tying it all together now. He seems much more mature and self-assured, which should come as no surprise as he'll be 26(!) this summer.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It was really bad treatment of a young player who’d had a really tough time. It’s like Jose saw him as an easy target to make a terrible example of. I genuinely felt sorry for Luke during that time.
It was pretty disgusting. Very unprofessional by Mourinho - I thought it was unfair by certain fans to feel Shaw should just buckle down and deal with it. It wasn't even being called out for a bad performance or anything, or getting the hairdryer in the dressing room, it was tantamount to bullying.

Mou did a lot more bad than good in his management of young players for sure. I'm super happy with Luke's progression in any case, he seems like a decent lad and he gives his all on the field.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It was pretty disgusting. Very unprofessional by Mourinho - I thought it was unfair by certain fans to feel Shaw should just buckle down and deal with it. It wasn't even being called out for a bad performance or anything, or getting the hairdryer in the dressing room, it was tantamount to bullying.

Mou did a lot more bad than good in his management of young players for sure. I'm super happy with Luke's progression in any case, he seems like a decent lad and he gives his all on the field.
Yep. Agreed, and also with regard to the bolded bit, with some of the sometimes personal abuse he gets in this forum, some posters should recognise this fact.

Matst1

Telles. That’s why we need Trippier for the right ASAP

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
To be fair to Shaw, I think he’s always been a lot better than a lot of people on here give him credit for. I’ve always rated him and haven’t really ever seen the LB position as a problem area when he’s been fit, only when we don’t have great cover for Shaw when he’s injured.
Agreed. He was unfairly criticized for a lot of things which others get away doing. I think he's been a great addition to our defense.

Oddboy

I can't get over how strong he's looked this season. Oppo players just bounce off him when they try and challenge him.

tomaldinho1

Yh I've never really had an issue with him. Same for AWB, different players of course but their weaknesses are relatively minor compared to what they bring to the team. Shaw when fit has always been amongst the best LBs in the league, probably not the best but we'd struggle to improve in him.

There was a period where a lot of people thought he was finished and I can't help but think that was a bitter aftershock from Mou's time here. He clearly has the right attitude to come back from that injury and keep his pace/acceleration - just because Mou was completely unprofessional in his repeated public criticism of Shaw (thinking about it in hindsight and how often he'd talk about it, Mou's such a horrible human being) doesn't mean what he said was true.

Jacob

Happy that his and Pogba's surge in form offsets the complete inability to perform from our strikers (bar Cavani).

Robbie Boy

Was ruined under Jose and thrived under Ole. Amazing the psychological effects of a manager who believes in you can have.

Idxomer

Mourinho was a complete cnut towards him just a few months after coming back from his leg break questioning his commitment, focus, and putting him behind Young, Darmian, and Blind.

I can't understand how anyone ever thought Mourinho's approach was okay.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Chuffed for the guy. He's been through a lot, and he's come back stronger.

I like Telles, but he'll simply have to be happy to be a back up for Shaw for now. The latter is one of the few "nailed on" starters we have I think.

Jonty

Yes he has improved recently but still could do so much more. It is frustrating the amount of runs he doesn't make and his preference to receive the ball in a standing position rather running onto it. AWB is guilty of this too but given the majority of our play comes down the left channel Shaws attacking numbers should be far better than they are.

Giggs' right foot

40% because of natural development with age
30% competition with Telles
15% getting a consistent run of games
15% playing with better players than before
More like:

Ten percent luck, twenty percent skill.
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will.
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name.