The right United forward/striker signing

M16Red

SPOILER=["YouTube"][/SPOILER]

Donyell Malen - 8 goals in 8 games so far this season

AFC NimbleThumb

what does this bit mean..?
OgS has now claimed we may sign someone in January, historically a more difficult time to negotiate but then went on to say the targets he had in the Summer were unavailable.

So if we may sign someone in January he either believes his target is now available or he has been bowled over by some new target 7/8 games into the season.

By his words, he was happy to go into the season with this squad. 7/8 games in he is staying the contrary.

Hope that helps, if not more than happy to clarify further.

In short, I think he’s using his favour with club fans from his playing days to spout empty platitudes & hyperbole because he’s out of his depth as our manager.

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
OgS has now claimed we may sign someone in January, historically a more difficult time to negotiate but then went on to say the targets he had in the Summer were unavailable.

So if we may sign someone in January he either believes his target is now available or he has been bowled over by some new target 7/8 games into the season.

By his words, he was happy to go into the season with this squad. 7/8 games in he is staying the contrary.

In short, I think he’s using his favour with club fans from his playing days to spout empty platitudes & hyperbole because he’s out of his depth as our manager.
I feel ashamed on your behalf reading this.
You sound like a conspiracy loon.

AneRu

You have too many players mixed in LW and ST position... an injury to Martial and Rashford essentially leaves you with 0 cover in both positions. Which is the problem we have now.

ST: Martial, New Signing (1), Greenwood
LW: Rashford, James, Chong/New Signing (2),
RW: Sancho (3), New Signing (2), Pererira

We essentially need 3 new players and even the above isn't ideal
You are right but reading this makes it rather depressing how short we are and how idiotic it was to let Napoli have a free run at Lozano. I think Ole expected James to play a role there along with Greenwood and Pereira but James on the left is twice the player. I think, looking at Martial and Greenwood, we need a veteran striker to come in as back up and if Martial doesn't kick on this season then replace him with a proper striker.

Considering our needs in other areas such as DM, AM and LB I think our scouts will be needed to pull a few rabbits out the bag a la James over the next couple of windows. Obviously, 3 forwas positions are critical i.e RW, CAM and ST. The DM depends on what happens with Pogba, I think if someone offers us £100m for him we should let him go and bring in Maddison and a DM. Garner will replace the walking waste that is Fred with time.

AFC NimbleThumb

I feel ashamed on your behalf reading this.
You sound like a conspiracy loon.
I sound like a loon because I’m going by what OgS is saying & forming a judgement instead of forming judgements about a board we hear nothing from.

You obviously don’t understand what a conspiracy is if you can’t comprehend taking someone on their word. Take the sanctimony elsewhere.

GBBQ

Its pretty clear he took a gamble because he thought Rashford and Martial would step up (probably with the thinking that Sancho would be doable next summer if we showed a marked improvement and got CL football).

Thats not been the case so he's going to have to go after one of the players he either deemed not good enough or not the right fit only a couple of months ago.

meamth

Cole, Yorke, Sheringham, Ole. Fergie always liked to have a good choice of strikers. Midfielders were also Plentiful and top drawer.
4 strikers if we play 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Modern game needs 3 1st team strikers max. Now we have Martial and Greenwood. (Rashford is relegated to LW, let's be honest here).

Unless Ole wants to go back to 4-4-2, United way.

Realistically, 1 Striker/CF, 2 Wide forwards minimum.

jackal&hyde

The Athletic say we will be back for Mandzukic in January so i guess that's the short term solution for the striker. I like it tbh; top professional with a great attitude that can take some of the pressure away from our young forwards. They speculate that there might only be a very small fee if any given his age and service to the club.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
just spaff a load of cash on neymar - he clearly wouldnt want to be here any more than he wants to be at psg and no doubt would want a huge wage... plus the way he rolls about is awful but fek it hes class and would score a load of goals - better that than bigger dividends to the glazers

HowYouDoin

Really unpopular opinion here but both Rashford and Martial arent good enough. Theyre mid table level, both. Both have huge weaknesses in their game.

AkaAkuma

Lautaro Martinez looks interesting, anybody more familiar with him?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
In terms of attacking signings we'll definitely look at and try (not all realistic but you know we'll try for), I'd say its Kane, Sancho and Maddison. Kane not realistic of course, Sancho will be tough while Maddison might not want to leave this summer (but see it happening long term, like Maguire). After those 3, I have no idea who we'd go after for any of the 3 positions we probably need in attack (probably because striker isn't a for sure need, if Martial steps up or Greenwood accelerates development).
the way things are going at Spurs, Kane is more realistic than Sancho.. but both are pretty well non-starters given where we look likely to finish in the PL

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
if we fail to get an out-and-out forward (there aren't many available) I wonder if Ziyech would fit in. admittedly, I've only seen him twice bu he looked good both times!

Dong Fangzhuo

No point buying a striker before we get a DM and RW. Lewandowski would look bad playing in front of Lingard/Mata/Pereira and that infuriatingly stupid double pivot.

Josep Dowling

No point buying a striker before we get a DM and RW. Lewandowski would look bad playing in front of Lingard/Mata/Pereira and that infuriatingly stupid double pivot.
Seems to be ignored so much that midfield is far more drastic than our front 3. I don’t think Rashford and Martial are good enough but they are certainly better than the dross we have in midfield. Not a single one can make simple passes, and I’d include Pogba to that list.

Manutd1990

Yeah, a striker who scores less than our current options is the answer..
He is young and british, and that seems to be the only thing that matters.
Personaly i would go for Piatek, or Moussa Dembele.

lon ball2

We need to break the bank for Harry Kane, back up option Timo Werner

UnitedChampionsAgain

We need a striker who can score goals with zero service because that's what he'll get when he comes here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Duncan Castles saying United's 3 forward targets for January are Moussa Dembele, Ousmane Dembele and Timo Werner. It's information which he says was relayed to his colleague Ian McGarry via a source from within the club.

54:14 of the vid if anyone is interested.

Bwuk

Ousmane Dembele appears to have attitude issues and a poor mentality. I’d be worried about spending big on him.

Bulldog United

Ousmane Dembele appears to have attitude issues and a poor mentality. I’d be worried about spending big on him.
yeah I’m not sure we’d get the response we’d be looking for if Barca give up on him and he’s almost forced to sign for us. It’d be another very high stakes gamble.

meamth

I want that big center forward who can play like Firmino, facing back from the goal. We're missing that type of player for sometime now.
Looking at the target lists, I'm not convinced. This is bad.

Zlatan was the last player we had who can do that. Don't start mentioning Lukaku, he was shambles.

meamth

Really unpopular opinion here but both Rashford and Martial arent good enough. Theyre mid table level, both. Both have huge weaknesses in their game.
Rashford is proven mediocre striker at this point, Martial not yet. At least that I would disagree with your statement.

Martial looks promising until he got injured. This is the first time he got the chance to play CF regularly.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ideally speaking

RW: Sancho
AM: Maddison
FW: Haaland

If we sign these 3 players, we may improve quite abit.

Mark Pawelek

4 strikers if we play 4-4-2/4-4-1-1

Modern game needs 3 1st team strikers max. Now we have Martial and Greenwood. (Rashford is relegated to LW, let's be honest here).

Unless Ole wants to go back to 4-4-2, United way.

Realistically, 1 Striker/CF, 2 Wide forwards minimum.
But Greenwood doesn't really start much; as he's still 17.

Buying Malen would end the experiment of playing Rashford at centre forward, and put pressure on Martial.

Malen looks more direct than any of Matial, Rashford or Greenwood. Reminds me a little of Suarez. Tenacious. This season he's only played centre forward. Previous season he moved around playing #7, #9, #10, #11.

His agent is Mino Raiola. Soon as I read that I began thinking he'd cost an arm and a leg.

Mark Pawelek

If we could target 2/3 players in January without massively overpaying or blowing our summer budget I would look at the following.

Ryan Fraser - Contract expires in the summer. We could sign for less than £10m probably ...
Good video. Right-footed. But can shoot with left and even cross with left when playing LW. Mostly plays LW (so competes with James, Martial and Rashford), but he has played RW. Tranfermarkt list him at £27m, not £10m. He's not exactly prolific. His best, and only good season was last year: 7 goals and 14 assists. in 3173 minutes = 35 lots of 90 mins.

If I were estimating his discount price in January, it would 66% of his normal price. At least £18m. Your £10m estimate is optimistic. Plus: we don't really need him, and he's not that good.

Last edited:

Mark Pawelek

Dani Olmo.
Transfermarkt valuation: £27m. Release clause: EUR 47m
Contract expires: 30 June 2021.
Club: Dinamo Zagreb
Age 21. Born: May 7, 1998.
Positions: attacking midfield (#7, #10, #11)
High workrate, high potential. Naturally right-footed. Good with left too. Likes to dribble.
Disadvantage: Not experienced against PL opponents.
Advantage: Can sell Mata and Lingard if we buy him.

Last edited:

efugelso

I admit, I've only seen him play twice along with a bit on YouTube. But Andrea Belotti looks like a old-fashioned number 9, who can press and play with his back to the goal as well. He's scored 5 goals in 7 matches this year, 48 goals in 102 matches for Torino in total. 25 years old. Will not be cheap but most likely affordable and maybe even available in January.

Getting a midfielder in like a Thomas Partey can also make us able to play Pogba higher up the pitch, and hopefully sort of some of the creativity problems.

PaulRich

Daily Fail reporting Bale has had enough and wants out of Real (again). If anyone in Woodward World is even thinking about this (unless its the cut price deal of the century) they need shooting.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Duncan Castles saying United's 3 forward targets for January are Moussa Dembele, Ousmane Dembele and Timo Werner. It's information which he says was relayed to his colleague Ian McGarry via a source from within the club.

54:14 of the vid if anyone is interested.

Shit options except for Werner. We need someone to take the pressure up and perform . Dembeles may come good eventually but I dont expect them to perform right away.

Werner would be brilliant but why would he want to come here ? He is getting a nice paycheck, playing CL for one of the best teams in Germany and will most probably join Bayern in near future.